Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

This says gently caress all about Combi-bolters. :colbert:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Hra Mormo posted:

My thinking is any weapon that is clearly paired is now just a twinned weapon that has a profile with twice the shooty of a regular version. Things that had twin-linked but weren't a clearly paired set of weapons will probably just lose twin-linked and either get nothing or just get a new reroll rule that isn't called twin-linked because GW. They're buffing paired weapons and squatting twin-linked, if that makes sense.

That would also make some sense. Either way they're getting a hell of a lot shootier.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Strobe posted:

Also I'm very glad that Heavy Bolters are still just 1 wound each or they would completely wipe Terminators off of the face of the game wounding on 3s, reducing the save to 3s, and then killing one per unsaved wound.

Wouldn't have been wiping terminators off the face of the game. They'd get a 3+ armor save, 2+ in cover, and have a 1/3 chance of living after a failed saved compared to the 0 chance in 7th. You've got about an 11% chance of a heavy bolter hit dropping a terminator in 7th, if they were d3 in 8th it'd be a 15% chance, or a 7% chance if in cover.

Now, we have a 22% chance of doing a wound to a terminator with a heavy bolter hit, or 11% if in cover, with two wounds.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Well, to be fair, I was assuming 2 damage, rather than 1d3 or something, which was probably off base in the first place.

I am absolutely expecting most infantry units to get significantly cheaper, this edition seems really, really killy.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Strobe posted:

Well, to be fair, I was assuming 2 damage, rather than 1d3 or something, which was probably off base in the first place.

I am absolutely expecting most infantry units to get significantly cheaper, this edition seems really, really killy.

Yeah, the average of 2 isn't really applicable in this case because of a 3 being the same as rolling a 2, still dead. You need to look at the actual rolls, which is a 1/3 of getting a 1.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Basically everything gets a save now so its swings and roundabouts.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pendent posted:

Yes, you passive aggressive rear end. I can read. What we're saying is that the twin linking was just an abstraction before and now that the rules for combi weapons support it it will probably be treated as an actual combi weapon. Then again, it's all guessing at this point.

Hamshot posted:

Your pedantic opinion didn't warrant anything greater.
*Pendentic opinion

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

DO IT TO IT posted:

I think sponsons in general might be a thing now. I look forward to trying out a dakka Predator, though sadly those sponson Heavy Bolters aren't twin. I always thought the Predator's Heavy Bolter sponsons looked badass though.

They do look badass!

I had one in 5th edition I think. It did fine work once the Dark Eldar re-work came though. Lots of chewed up Raiders and Venoms from just weight of fire.

Plus if this is true...

quote:

Warhammer 40,000 on Facebook posted:
- Tanks can split their weapons fire between different targets.

All my tank sponsons just got a hell of a lot better.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Ohshit I hadn't seen that. Suddenly Baal Predators are even more awesome, between twin Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamer sponsons.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Predator destructors kinda looking like complete garbage now that annihilators have a 2 shot lascannon.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Leman russ secondary weapons will probably fire at BS2 instead of snap shots now, so probably still not worth putting a lascannon on it but a bunch of HBs would work. Though it might have something like the old lumbering behemoth rule that lets it ignore its turret gun for the purpose of firing secondary weapons, or maybe heavy tanks will just ignore the -1 BS thing entirely.

Predator annihilators with 4 lascannons sounds nice now. But so does an autocannon pred with 2 lascannon sponsons, or the autocannon + HB predator. They all seem pretty viable now. Annihilator with two LCs is obviously better than the autocannon but hopefully the AC gets a perk (like Heavy 4 from the 30k predators) or a big price drop. If it's just kept as is though then the autocannon would be pretty garbage, so hopefully not.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

*Pendentic opinion

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Strobe posted:

Ohshit I hadn't seen that. Suddenly Baal Predators are even more awesome, between twin Assault Cannon and Heavy Flamer sponsons.

Give me the rumble and the thunder. Give me the guns, guns, guns.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

facebook page quote about wounds and hits

OK so it does work the way that I thought it would. The final question: If the hits go to the particular models, does that mean you can't allocate two hits to the same model unless there is no more models to allocate to?

IE , how do you get 6 hits against a single tank vs 6 hits against 6 infantry with the way these rules work.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm looking forward to seeing how they do plasma destroyers. Since it's 3 small blasts, I wonder if it'll be 3d3 shots or what. Either way it should be brutal, I've got some relic predators with plasma destroyer options.

General Olloth posted:

OK so it does work the way that I thought it would. The final question: If the hits go to the particular models, does that mean you can't allocate two hits to the same model unless there is no more models to allocate to?

IE , how do you get 6 hits against a single tank vs 6 hits against 6 infantry with the way these rules work.

It could simply be majority armor save, then after saves are rolled allocate failed saves and then those models allocated to take d# damage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Crazy Ferret posted:

Plus if this is true...

That's as credible a source as there is

:thejoke:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I completely missed the person's user name xtothez's joke was about. :downs: I got caught up in the shitposting.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
For that matter, I wonder how plasma in general will work.

If a plasma cannon is d3 shots now instead of a small blast as an example, is that d3 chances for a gets hot roll to fry your dude?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
My thoughts on twin-linked vs. combi bolters: it makes the most sense to have twin linked function as twin linked and combi as combi, for the sake of rules congruence and easy understanding of keywords.

This obviously means combi bolters will function exactly as twin-linked ones instead, because this is GW.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

My thoughts on twin-linked vs. combi bolters: it makes the most sense to have twin linked function as twin linked and combi as combi, for the sake of rules congruence and easy understanding of keywords.

This obviously means combi bolters will function exactly as twin-linked ones instead, because this is GW.

They could just rename combi-bolters to twin-linked bolters.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's as credible a source as there is

Cool! I've been out of the loop for a while and the idea of GW having a useful and informative presence on social media is strange.

Now if I can find out how Gets Hot changed, I will be pretty pleased. I don't mind the risk but my Leman Russ Executioner did more damage to itself in its debut game than to the enemy.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Does anyone have a screencap of the facebook post confirming wound mechanics?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

They could just rename combi-bolters to twin-linked bolters.

Probably the smartest move by far.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

My favourite units are : Laser Predators, Terminators, and Dreadnoughts.

And they're all going to be good now.

Is this. Is this what happiness feels like? :stonk:

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

goose willis posted:

Change of subject: am I going to regret my life if I buy something on AliExpress

This was ages ago but no you won't. Also as long as it's actually on Aliexpress you'll be paying through one of the largest payment processors in the world (Alipay has been bigger than paypal for a while) so your details will be fine.

Warhammer with chinese characteristics is the best warhammer.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Deptfordx posted:

My favourite units are : Laser Predators, Terminators, and Dreadnoughts.

And they're all going to be good now.

Is this. Is this what happiness feels like? :stonk:

Well, don't count dreadnoughts out yet, there's still plenty of room for them to be bad.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wonder if I should attempt to figure out a way to magnetize the sponson since I only have one set and two tanks.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

chutche2 posted:

Well, don't count dreadnoughts out yet, there's still plenty of room for them to be bad.

Too late to temper expectations. I've got a couple of Terminators clutched in one hand, a Dreadnought in the other. And I'm making *Pew-pew* sounds under my breath.

I want to believe. :colbert:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Cooked Auto posted:

Wonder if I should attempt to figure out a way to magnetize the sponson since I only have one set and two tanks.

The best way is to magnetize the inside of the track piece before you assemble it so you don't have a visible magnet when you don't have sponsons.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I ran the math on the battlecannon and it's comical. With BS4 you get 2 wounds. BS3 you get 1.5 wounds.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The best way is to magnetize the inside of the track piece before you assemble it so you don't have a visible magnet when you don't have sponsons.

Or, you drill a hole for the magnet that's slightly deeper than you need, seat the magnet, put a thin layer of GS over, and paint it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah and Marines will get a 5+ save so you might just get lucky and kill one :downs:

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

chutche2 posted:

Or, you drill a hole for the magnet that's slightly deeper than you need, seat the magnet, put a thin layer of GS over, and paint it.

You can't really do this for a Leman Russ as the plastic wall of the tank that the sponson goes on is thinner than most magnets, you would need a super thin magnet to do this. Not sure for other tanks.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh yeah and Marines will get a 5+ save so you might just get lucky and kill one :downs:

Yeah the battle cannon looks comically bad against infantry now, you could easily catch 3 or 4 with a large blast and if they weren't in cover they were dead as poo poo. Now you're averaging slightly more than 1 wound against marines in the open. Against a horde you're still only killing 2 at most because half of your d6 shots will miss.

Looks like it's pretty solid for hurting vehicles though.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

You can't really do this for a Leman Russ as the plastic wall of the tank that the sponson goes on is thinner than most magnets, you would need a super thin magnet to do this. Not sure for other tanks.

Oh yeah, I remember now. I used thin magnets on mine and kind of built up a GS lump on the inside of the wall to seat the magnet in. It's been a few years, I don't play guard anymore.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 10, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

yeah the role of the Battle Cannon has changed to be more of an anti-tank gun, which is more appropriate

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Commissars are our friends!

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/05/10/your-friend-the-commissar/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, guess I'll have to wait until I buy another Russ kit then.

I wish I had more 1x1mm magnets but they're surprisingly hard to come by occasionally. Also not sure if they'd be strong enough to hold up the sponson safely.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I really hope there are blast weapons with more than d6 hits.

Blast weapons are going to be really garbage at killing hordes unless we start seeing stuff with 2d6 or 3d6 hits. Even if you roll your maximum of 6 shots, a guard blast weapon is only hitting 3 times and that's not nearly enough. This battle cannon is only a little better at killing infantry than a heavy bolter is. It wounds on a 2+ and is ap-2 but is going to get about the same number of hits.

If a basilisk is just d6 hits then dropping them into a giant mob of orks is going to kill like 2 models and won't do poo poo. Flamers work great because they don't rely on BS.

The battle cannon is a solid AT weapon though. About 5 shots will kill a dreadnought at bs3, vs 8 or 9 for a lascannon.

It just worries me because a battle cannon was a 5 inch blast weapon. Makes me think stuff like frag missiles will be d3 hits.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
We have seen the stats for a handful of weapons, maybe hold off on assumptions for a little bit longer

• Locked thread