Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Actually, that raises an important question. Perhaps I missed it in Grand Vizier Hashim's writeups, but I did not see any mention of how the ruling faction changes. Do we, as Wali al-Anderson has attempted, simply defect at a whim between updates? Or will the Grand Vizier call for a formal realignment at regular intervals?

I had not yet joined a faction, thanks. I know I probably can't vote yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

I had not yet joined a faction, thanks. I know I probably can't vote yet.

We're voting right now. If you've joined a faction then go ahead.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Speaking of, unless I missed someone, this is what we've got so far.

Tendronai posted:

I, Tendronai of the Taifas, propose we crush Galicia immediately for taking advantage of our war and stealing our Portugese lands.

Tendronai, Mikl.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the enlightened and victorious Taifas, propose that we attack whichever Christian kingdom is weakest and most isolated, with particular attention being paid towards conflicts between them. The goal of these invasions is nothing less than complete annexation for each and every one of them, no matter how many wars it takes.

Lord Cyrahzax, Luhood, PurpleXVI, Captain Oblivious, Bloody Pom, Ibblebibble.

Snipee posted:

I propose that we ally or at least guarantee all Muslim powers in Italy with the long-term goals of weakening the Kingdom of Italy and bringing Rome under Islamic rule.

Snipee.

Luhood posted:

As such I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, propose we start looking for documents regarding our claims on Iberia in general but Castille in particular seeing how they now stand as the strongest of the Christian Iberians.

And as I said, try ally Palermo in order to stave of Italy and Bavaraia (or whomever is the Kaiser) to contain France!

Luhood.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, propose that we turn Qurtuba into a new holy site. We must build a temple there, give control of it to the Ulama, raise its development to twenty (no manpower please) as soon as possible, and build a temple.

Ralepozozaxe.

Duey posted:

I, Du'ey, of the Ulama, propose that it should be the policy of the government to fund the building of a mosques in every province for the purpose of supporting the faithful.

Due, CommissarMega, Chatrapati.

Frionnel posted:

Therefore, I, Frionnel ibn Frionnel of the most benevolent Ulama, suggest that our ruler should pay more attention to the state of our capital, and develop it until it will truly be a city of world's desire (30 development at least).

Frionnel, AJ_Impy, Prince Orcus, devildragon777.

tunapirate posted:

I, Tuna al-Birati of the Ummah, propose that the Sultan move to create vassals out of the Muslim princedoms of North Africa and Italy so as to declare a new caliphate.

Tunapirate.

Soup du Jour posted:

I, Muhammad al-Soup of the League of Merchants, propose that we guarantee the independence of Palermo. We cannot allow our access to the wealth of Siqulia be destroyed by Italy! Placing our protection over them is key to keeping our access to the trading ports in the Eastern Mediterranean open. That we cannot protect all the emirs in that region is regrettable, but this will allow us more diplomatic flexibility.

Soup du Jour, Technowolf, Whit27, Samovar.

Dance Officer posted:

I, Dansar rabb al'ustul alttijari of the League of Merchants, propose that we build a marketplace in Lisboa, in order to strengthen our grasp on the trade flowing into Iberia!

Dance Officer.

The sea route to Mecca proposal is impossible at the moment, because (and I think I already said this somewhere) we'll need the Exploration idea group before we can actually explore terra incognita. So it'll only be done if the Merchants become the largest faction in the next Majlis Meeting. I'll try and get an update out tomorrow, try and clear some things up then.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 9, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Duey posted:

I, Du'ey, of the Ulama, propose that it should be the policy of the government to fund the building of a mosques in every province for the purpose of supporting the faithful.
(Not sure if this counts as a policy)

I, Slaan al-Andalusi, toss my support towards this proposal

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, propose that we turn Qurtuba into a new holy site. We must build a temple there, give control of it to the Ulama, raise its development to twenty (no manpower please) as soon as possible, and build a temple.

Since the sea route to Mecca is out of consideration, I instead give my endorsement to the proposal to develop Qurtuba into a holy city.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
I, the representative of the prestigious house of al Sandwich, second (third? Fourth?) the motion to build Qurtuba into a city of glorious worship

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Dance Officer posted:

I, Dansar rabb al'ustul alttijari of the League of Merchants, propose that we build a marketplace in Lisboa, in order to strengthen our grasp on the trade flowing into Iberia!

In light of the current in infeasibility of finding a sea route to Mecca I, Sheikha Hibbar Rubik of the League of Merchants, wish to support the proposal of Dansar rabb al'ustul alttijari. My reasoning is that by strengthening our trade we better the economy of the realm so that the New Taifas and the Ulama have the needed funds to undertake their own projects. I humbly request that everyone who supported my proposal to consider supporting this proposal as it benefits us all.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Dance Officer posted:

I support this.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dance Officer posted:

I support this measure.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Snipee posted:

I propose that we ally or at least guarantee all Muslim powers in Italy with the long-term goals of weakening the Kingdom of Italy and bringing Rome under Islamic rule.

I support this motion

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Rubix Squid posted:

I, Sheikha Hibbar Rubik of the League of Merchants, wish to support the proposal of Dansar rabb al'ustul alttijari. My reasoning is that by strengthening our trade we better the economy of the realm so that the New Taifas and the Ulama have the needed funds to undertake their own projects. I humbly request that everyone who supported my proposal to consider supporting this proposal as it benefits us all.

I, Sheikha Rabab al-Majnun, support this proposal, though it comes from a merchant of common blood. We cannot make war or peace with empty coffers. Dominating the regional economy is the first step in spreading Pax Andalusia as-Salaam al-Andalusi.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Chapter 3 – Pyrrhic Victory – 1460 to 1474

The new decade opened with the outbreak of a large rebellion in what was once Portugal, renamed al-Adna upon its conquest.

The rebels consisted mostly of untrained peasants and farmboys, so it took all of one day to quash it, with thousands of dead littering the streets after their defeat.

More importantly, back in Qadis, the nobility were quickly growing more corrupt. Emirs and sheikhs were given grants allowing them to tax their land more harshly, angering the merchants in the Majlis, who were hoping to use the money to expand their shipping.

This inevitably led to old family rivalries resurfacing, with the Aftasids and Abbadids arguing over every square inch of land, with the Yahaffids and Ghizvanni launching raids into Christian territories, with the Hakami and Hammudids feuding over the rights to this village or that town. Rather than risk the outbreak of rebellion, however, the incumbent Grand Vizier personally settled any arguments between the great houses of the Majlis.

A rivalry was also brewing between the League of Merchants and the Ulema, unsurprisingly, over the matter of hiring foreign traders. The New Taifas eventually sided with the Merchants, always eager to rake in more money.

The Ulema were a powerful force in their own right, however, so a fair few donations soon made their way into the mosques, appeasing the imams for now.

In fact, the Grand Vizier, who hailed from the old Hammudid family, was a particularly zealous man. He and the religious elite had not failed to notice the retreat of Islam all across the world, from the Levant to Italy, and he was determined to bring a halt to it.

To that end, he issued a guarantee of the Emirate of Palermo, which was under considerable threat from the Kingdom of Italy.

The attention of the Majlis soon turned back to the Iberian peninsula, however, with the outbreak of a succession crisis late in 1464. The King of Galicia had inherited the throne of León from a distant cousin, but the Castilian King Gundemaro refused to recognise it, instead claiming the throne himself.

As always, the Taifas were eager to take advantage of the chaos, and began readying the army. As new recruits were armed and trained, the war in the north quickly turned against Castille, whose army had been destroyed in a single battle.

Castille was also allied to France, however, so the hawkish nobles turned to the far weaker Galicia instead. The army was finally ready by the end of 1466, when envoys were dispatched to Galicia, carrying a declaration of war.

The Andalusi flooded into Galicia and León unopposed, quickly bringing regional capitals to siege. A few weeks later, Castille managed to defeat Galicia in another engagement, sending the shattered army westward, where the Andalusi waited.

With the Galician army wiped out, the Muslims began spreading out, putting castles to siege and towns to the torch.

By the end of the year, the starving Galician masses capitulated, with the garrisons of both León and Galicia surrendering unconditionally.

The Christians, eager for peace, agreed to the demands of the Majlis without negotiation, and the war ended with the surrender of Porto, Bragança and Salamanca, as well as large amounts of tribute.

Upon hearing news of the Andalusi peace, King Alfonso of Castille furiously denounced the Andalusi as belligerent warmongers, to pick just one from a long list of unsavoury insults.

And he wasn’t the only one enraged with the rapid expansion of Al Andalus, with most neighbouring countries now considering defensive pacts, if only to stave off the inevitably Andalusi invasion.

And it isn’t surprising to see why, the past twenty years have seen the loss of some the richest, most populous cities to the Muslims, a significant blow to all of Christian Iberia.

The Majlis simply discarded any warnings or insults, however, convinced of their own invincibility. The focus turned inward once more when officials arrived from the Emirate of Palermo, hoping to arrange a marriage between the Sultan's brother and a Sicilian princess.

A good match, the proposal was agreed to, binding the two branches of the Jizrunid dynasty closer together.

Speaking of distant shores, North Africa spent the past few years embroiled down in war, with Algiers falling to the Izri Emirate, the Izri falling to Tunis, and Tunis falling to Morocco and Egypt.

The Balkans have been similarly drenched in blood, with the resurgent Latin Empire cut down to the size by an alliance of Greek minors.

In the Near East, meanwhile, Armenia has been steadily pushed back by Nicaea and the Fatimid Caliphate, whilst the Azeri-Nurradin alliance was decisively defeated in a war with Persia.

Back in Qadis, the League of Merchants loudly decried the aggression of the Taifas in an assembly of the Majlis al-Shura, warning that it could well lead to another crusade against Al Andalus.

Instead, the Merchants have been focusing on the construction of a sprawling marketplace in Lishbuna, hoping to attract the alienated Christian merchants into reviving trade with them.

The Ulama, meanwhile, have been busy reorganising the administration in Qadis. Before long, a good deal of high-ranking officials consisted of the clergy, all educated and trained in the House of Knowledge.

This quickly proved to be very beneficial to Qadis, which saw a sudden explosion in population through the 1470s, which in turn led to a rise in production and taxation.

The New Taifas, however, weren't as interested in trade or development. Their attention was fixed in the north, where border raids triggered the outbreak of another war between the Celtic Empire and England.

The Celts quickly overwhelmed the sparse English defenses and were well on their way to London before long, but then the French King Adrien decided to intervene, worried at the prospect of a unified British Isles.

France invaded and captured large parts of Brittany - the junior personal union partner of the Celtic Empire - and with that, the odds quickly turned against the Celts. Outclassed on both sea and land, the High King in Dublin reached out to Al Andalus, hoping to open a second front against the French.

The nobles in the Majlis, eager to test their mettle against the French, were all too happy to join another war. The army is quickly resupplied and border fortresses are garrisoned, but action broke out on the sea first, with a large French fleet engaging an Andalusi-Breton navy along the coast of Brittany.

The battle ended in resounding success, with twelve French ships torched and sunk, including three large capital ships.

After being forced from the seas, the French shifted their focus to land warfare, invading Al Andalus with a 33,000-strong army. The French were renowned for their reliable and disciplined army, but the Andalusi were buoyed by news of their naval victory, so they rushed to confront the French at Balansiyyah anyways.

This battle would not go nearly as well, however. The wide, open terrain favoured neither side, and with the numbers roughly equal, the battle would come down to tactics and strategy.

And the Andalusi, who’ve been bullying significantly smaller and weaker states over the past two decades, simply couldn’t match the trained and tried French troops.

The Andalusi took heavy losses, leaving almost 13,000 dead and wounded behind them as they fled to safer territory, and news of this defeat hit Qadis hard. The Taifas hadn’t prepared for a long, expensive conflict, forcing them to impose a new war tax just to keep the treasury afloat.

But even this extra tax wasn’t enough to rebuild the army. Fortunately, the Almoravid Sultan was happy to lend a hand to his old allies, and sent several large caravans laden with steel and cloth and food to aid the war effort in the north.

More bad news followed, however. Around mid-1471, the Pope called for a crusade against Palermo, no doubt urged on by the neighbouring King of Italy.

The Italians didn’t hesitate to launch an invasion, with King Pericles personally leading an army as it stormed across the border, vowing to expel the last Muslim state from the peninsula.

(I didn’t dishonour the guarantee, because I never got called in. Italy actually declared war on Bari, which was guaranteed by Palermo.)

The Majlis had neither the men nor the money to intervene, however, not when the French were on the verge of pouring into Al Andalus. Instead, resources were devoted to bringing in fresh-faced recruits, equipping them with armour and arms, and training them to avoid a grisly death until they reached a battlefield, at the very least.

It took a few months to train the newly-recruited levies, but by October of 1472, the Andalusi were ready to attack the French once again…

And once again, it was all for naught. The battle was closer this time, but the Andalusi were thrown back all the same, handing another crushing victory to the French.

Balansiyyah was mere weeks away from surrendering, but fortunately for the Majlis, it didn’t come to that. In London, the Celts and the English finally agreed on a peace treaty, with England ceding a good chunk of its northern territories to the High King.

There wouldn’t be any celebrations in Qadis, however, not after the utter humiliation they’d been dealt on the battlefield.

And to make matters worse, Al Andalus was hit with another blow a few weeks later, with news of the Sultan’s death quickly spreading throughout the peninsula.

Utman II is succeeded by his younger brother, Akkad, someone who’s not a complete imbecile. Little is known about him, except that he’d previously served as a diplomat and emissary, though there are plenty of rumours regarding his brutish cruelty.

The Majlis, humbled after the disastrous war, rally around him nonetheless. The new sultan is crowned a few days later, and prepares to address the Majlis in an assembly soon afterwards.

World map:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 10, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Some might see this as a defeat or as some sort of sign that the New Taifas' policies are damaging to Al-Andalus. But everything is going to plan, we made a sacrifice to bleed one of France's allies out of territory, and we lost nothing irreplaceable, like territory, only men. Eventually we'll have France isolated and then we can crush them!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

French dogs! They will pay for these humiliations when we drive their puppets beyond the Pyrenees, but there are others we should be blaming for this disaster: the League of Merchants and the Ulama! They waste Al-Andalus's time and resources with vanity projects when they should have been supporting our army! What use are marketplaces and mayors that only know how drone on about Allah compared to bigger and better army?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Second Meeting of the Majlis

: Assalumu alaykum to my most noble emirs and sheikhs, most respected imams and qadis, most revered merchants and traders.

: It has been a long time since a Sultan last opened the Majlis, but the reign of my most… cherished brother is now over, and I can promise you that my rule shall be very different.

: Over the past thirty years, the Majlis has launched two separate campaigns into the northern Christian principalities, capturing vast cities and great riches. It has sought alliances with both Muslim and Christian, binding together kingdoms from the North Sea to the Atlas Mountains. It has developed Qadis into the pinnacle of the Muslim world, attracting scholars and intellectuals from all across the Mediterranean.

: But it has also drawn the ire of far greater powers, and has suffered for it. Some might say that the time has come to give peace a chance, to let old wounds heal, to mend broken friendships.

: Well, I say that that is nothing but a fool’s errand. I advocate a focus on enlarging the army, on training a new generation of officers, and on bringing our military up to par above all else!

: Heed my warning, esteemed ones. The King of France looks hungrily at our lands, and he will support any war effort against us, I am sure of it.

: That is not down to me, however. Like my forefathers, I respect the law above all else, and the Majlis is the law. I thus open a new assembly, and bid you all align yourselves to the common interest of Al Andalus, above all else.

Factions

The tenure of the New Taifas has come to an end, and with the ascension of a new sultan to Al Andalus, you may all choose to either maintain your loyalties or support a new faction.

The New Taifas

The Taifas advocate for:
- Expansion and focus on the standing army, rather than the navy.
- Rapid territorial expansion, especially on the Iberian Peninsula.
- Constructing Army and Defense buildings.

Effects: Bonus to army morale, larger army force limit, significantly smaller naval force limit, greater AE impact.

The Ulama

The Ulama advocate for:
- Religious conversion of non-Muslim provinces.
- A focus on increasing development within Al Andalus.
- Avoiding war with same-religion countries, and aiding them against Christian powers.
- Constructing Taxation and Production buildings.

Effects: Higher missionary strength, cheaper buildings, more tolerance of the true faith, less tolerance of heathens.

The League of Merchants

The Merchants advocate for:
- A focus on trade and maximising income above all else.
- Avoiding costly wars.
- Constructing larger navies, both trade fleets and war navies.
- Exploration and overseas expansion.
- Constructing Trade and Navy buildings.

Effects: Bonus to naval force limit, boost to trade power, significantly smaller army force limit.

Note: This session will be particularly important, because it’ll determine things like our first idea group, which age abilities I pick, and so on. I won’t be holding separate votes for each of those.

Also, don’t submit any policies right now, that’ll be done once this Majlis session is overwith (about 24 hours).

Here are icon links:

code:

New Taifas: [img]https://lpix.org/2786920/Taifas.png[/img]

Ulama: [img]https://lpix.org/2786921/Ulama.png[/img]

League of Merchants: [img]https://lpix.org/2786922/Merchants.png[/img]

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

French dogs! They will pay for these humiliations when we drive their puppets beyond the Pyrenees, but there are others we should be blaming for this disaster: the League of Merchants and the Ulama! They waste Al-Andalus's time and resources with vanity projects when they should have been supporting our army! What use are marketplaces and mayors that only know how drone on about Allah compared to bigger and better army?

Look Your Lordship. Your men failed. You lost to the French infidels, partly because we didn't have the money to field larger armies, armies of mercenaries so that our own citizens wouldn't have to die for a squabble between the Christ followers. Money is the source to power, and unless we get more money, we will fail to continue to beat them back.

To that end, I remain with the League of Merchants.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, I like this new sultan. He understands, as all of you should, that the New Taifas are Al-Andalus's only hope in a world that covets all we have managed to build! Only with our absolute military triumph can we ever have any true peace, but until then, we must fight! I remain with the New Taifas!

WilliamAnderson posted:

Look Your Lordship. Your men failed. You lost to the French infidels, partly because we didn't have the money to field larger armies, armies of mercenaries so that our own citizens wouldn't have to die for a squabble between the Christ followers. Money is the source to power, and unless we get more money, we will fail to continue to beat them back.

To that end, I remain with the League of Merchants.

How deluded are you? Armies of mercenaries paid for with foreign trade? How reliable! Do you think Al-Andalus is so poor and so weak that we cannot build an army with the resources we already have? That a stronger military won't give you the negotiating power you need to get trade deals worth anything at all?

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 10, 2017

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The New Taifas are ruining Al-Andalus with their follies. It's time to see beyond our humble peninsula and take Islam to uncharted lands!

And bring gold back, of course. To that end, I remain with the League of Merchants.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I, Mullah Mountaineer, remain with the Ulama. It is clear we need faith now more than ever.

The Taifas can squabble all they want about the quality and size of our army, but they ignore the fact that we only got into this war because of our alliance with the Christians in the Celtic Empire. I call upon other faithful Muslims to join the Ulama so we may gain greater influence in the government. Only then can we demand the Sultan sever relations with the heathen Celts and avoid a repeat of this war.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

A country that does not stand with Allah will inevitably fall. I remain with the Ulama.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 10, 2017

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I remain with the League of Merchants. This war has proven more than ever the importance of the navy! A stronger, bigger navy would have prevented the French from ever setting foot on our shores. Only the League of Merchants can provide the safety Al-Andalus needs!

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I remain with the League of Merchants.

To travel further along the path the New Taifas have lead us down would bring us to ruin.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Soup du Jour posted:

I remain with the League of Merchants. This war has proven more than ever the importance of the navy! A stronger, bigger navy would have prevented the French from ever setting foot on our shores. Only the League of Merchants can provide the safety Al-Andalus needs!

I'm with you friend, but that's not actually true. I assume they got military access through Aragon.

Edit: Also, a question to the Sultan, can we get information about the current development of our gold mine? Would be useful for a proposal I am considering.

MatchaZed fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 10, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

League of Merchants

What we need now is leadership from proven business leaders who prove their business by leading to business improvement busying improvers and improving busyers.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

WilliamAnderson posted:

I'm with you friend, but that's not actually true. I assume they got military access through Aragon.

It's been ages since I played EU4, I must have totally forgotten that you can invade through military access.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I remain with the League of Merchants.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Our time has come. Let gold triumph over steel!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We shall weather this storm with sharp swords and sharp minds. I will remain with the New Taifas.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Is anyone actually going to change their faction? I'm seeing a flaw in this system because the New Taifas will probably remain in power again and again.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Mountaineer posted:

Is anyone actually going to change their faction? I'm seeing a flaw in this system because the New Taifas will probably remain in power again and again.

I've worked something out for this, but won't reveal it unless something actually happens. I will say though, that whilst a faction can probably retain power a couple times without much trouble, the large minorities in the Majlis won't... be too happy about it, the longer it goes on for.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I will change allegiance to the League of Merchants

We are drained. Let us focus then on refilling our coffers and making Al-Andalus golden and wealthy. We will be ready for the French next time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Have we secured Iberia yet? No?

New Taifas it is then!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I will remain with the League of Merchants.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I still like money, so I shall remain with the League of Merchants.

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!

I choose to remain with The League of Merchants .

I wouldn't put the blame for our losses on the Merchant Guilds, Taifa. We clearly won on the sea and if you appointed a general with better traits than being the fastest man alive, we might have won on land as well.

Of course, this is the French we are talking about : they always seem to punch a bit over their weight.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Still New Taifas for me

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

I will join the League of Merchants. We should not give the French any more cause than necessary to strike at us until we have built ourselves into an economic powerhouse.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The way of the sword has failed us, and with the world so rapidly changing I fear there is no longer a place for old soldiers. We must shift our way of thinking.

I shall join the League of Merchants.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

This last war has shown me many things. It has shown me that while our armies and our nation are mighty, they are not ready to stand toe to toe with the French infidel's men. The New Taifa's had their successes yes, but it is clear that we are lacking. We must wait and prepare. Building up to the day when we might find a weakened foe, ready to be brought down. War is inevitable, but our defeats here showed a flaw in our armies, we lack the money to back multiple mighty hosts at once, as is the custom in the northern realms. With that troubling revelation in my head, I have chosen.

I, Emir Shoota al-Boy, formally declare my backing of the League of Merchants. We will grow our coffers, we will build vast hosts of men, and then we will take our vengeance upon the French infidel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
As my dear departed father sheik affi I languished in the oubliette I his son Affi the second will change our houses allegiance! My father was a drunk fool and ignorant of the world! Our house hereby support the league of merchants!

(Thanks for the loans to keep us going after my dumb dad ruined our family!)