Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

caberham posted:

If you don't like hot pot, then whatever. But when other people like it and you call 99% what mainlanders like is garbage then that just makes you a giant jerk.

http://imgur.com/a/VCfWY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
HAHAHA the annual protest organisers in Hong Kong just reported their permission to organise (under colonial laws any gathering of more than 3 persons requires police permission) this year has been denied.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/05/10/breaking-annual-july-1-hong-kong-democracy-rally-threatened-victoria-park-rejects-venue-application/

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Maybe this is :thejoke:, but I'm pretty sure that's not for air pollution but for making sure your face doesn't turn brown from the sun like :ssh: those dirty peasants :ssh:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
It kinda reminds of those kiddy pants that open when you squat

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

caberham posted:

If you don't like hot pot, then whatever. But when other people like it and you call 99% what mainlanders like is garbage then that just makes you a giant jerk.
Also if you drink Half and half from the carton nobody should listen to your opinions about food.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i live in the LA area and had a buddy who I took for revolving sushi and korean bbq so he thought we'd try his favorite, shabu-shabu. I'm with Haier, man, $95 for dinner for 3 people and you walk out still hungry?

guess it's different in china

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Efexeye posted:

$95 for dinner for 3 people and you walk out still hungry?

at the nicest hot pot place HaiDiLao, if you go there and have a few cold beers and eat yourself silly, at most you will end up spending 20-25 dollars a person. And that's arguably the NICEST hot pot place in all of china. so yeah, it is different in china.

the place near my apartment is good hot pot and you can have some beers and good food and it is about 13 dollars a person.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
It's just some boiled vegetables and lovely bits of meat.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

$38.99. I could eat it myself as an appetizer, once it's ruined by being boiled into little chunks

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Efexeye posted:

$38.99. I could eat it myself as an appetizer, once it's ruined by being boiled into little chunks

yeah this would cost like 8 bucks in china, and feed maybe three people with sauce and beer

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Eh. I can talk with friends and drink beer with a better choice of food. :shrug:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
It sounds like fondue restaurant minus a desert pot in pretty much every way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

It sounds like fondue restaurant minus a desert pot in pretty much every way.

Its very much like fondue except you know, no cheese or chocolate.

Its quite nice in cold climes but is unbearable in summer heat.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Barudak posted:

no cheese or chocolate.
Why would anybody go to china

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

Dowry was big.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Efexeye posted:

This looks like carpaccio and I'm drooling.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Outrail posted:

This looks like carpaccio and I'm drooling.

pretend i posted that apocalypse now quote about broiling the marbled meat

simplefish fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 10, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

simplefish posted:

pretend i posted that apocalypse now wupte about broiling the marbled meat

You can't ruin this for me.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Oberleutnant posted:

People, Culture, work...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

here's a hotpot place i went to last week

this is per person for 15 euro. this does not include the sliced beef and lamb you also get (you can see a small bowl of beef on the bottom of the picture). unsurprisingly, people in america are getting ripped off.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i thought hot pot was like a pan of boiling oil, but its just hot water? so ur just boiling meat? thats fuckin gross and retarded

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
yeah I think yakiniku or whatever it's called is definitely a better version of sit in a circle cooking meat together.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

bring back old gbs posted:

i thought hot pot was like a pan of boiling oil, but its just hot water? so ur just boiling meat? thats fuckin gross and retarded

It's a pot of boiling oil, spices, and water. When you take the meat/veg out, you usually dip it in some manner of sauce, then eat it. It's actually quite tasty, but then again I usually get a seafood hot pot. I find it's a lot like pancakes, and once you eat it, you don't want to think of it again for at least a month. Personally I like the Malatang version better.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
idk what the hell i thought it was now. I honestly thought it was a cast iron pan over a heat source with a suuuuuper shallow layer of oil and u barely touch the meat to the oil to cook it, just for like a second.

but the google image pics are like:

and u soak the stuff in it and it doesnt even look hot enough to cook ur stuff, though im sure it is

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Efexeye posted:

i live in the LA area and had a buddy who I took for revolving sushi and korean bbq so he thought we'd try his favorite, shabu-shabu. I'm with Haier, man, $95 for dinner for 3 people and you walk out still hungry?

Nobody here it talking about LA prices. LA is expensive in the first place, then foreign food is much more expensive.

In Japan in the middle of Tokyo you can get all you can eat shabu-shabu for 2000 yen, or less than 20 bucks. Literally all you can eat for two hours. I'm sure China could be cheaper for a similar amount of food because China.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So basically hot pot is fondue? Or fondue is hot pot, depending on which culture invented/stole it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Oberleutnant posted:

You'd get to see Full Communism

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
My fav hot pot thing are the sheets of tofu skin.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Outrail posted:

So basically hot pot is fondue? Or fondue is hot pot, depending on which culture invented/stole it.

Yes.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Outrail posted:

Marco Polo brought it to China.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
How often do people set each other on fire with their hotpots?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have done the Chinese hot pot in Singapore, and the Korean version too.

The Korean version is better, but really, if I'm going out to eat with my friends, if I am paying restaurant prices, I would much rather have the food cooked and brought to my table instead of cooking it myself.

If I feel like cooking, I'll cook at home, using better ingredients and better cooking methods.

So, what I'm saying is, hot pot is not for me and I do not like it very much.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Hot pot is fast becoming a valuable litmus test.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's telling how there are so few 'after' pictures of the deliciously-carpaccio-seeming meat actually cooked. it's waterlogged, skinny sliced beef with all the fat rendered out. the plate i posted? each piece results in one bite.

the promise is

the reality is

at least at the one i ate at, you got individual pots of water, they said health code wouldn't allow one big pot for everyone to marinate their chopsticks and poo poo in, maybe that's the difference

i actually did like the rice they make you with the broth to take home, though, that alleviated the 'im still loving starving after sitting here for two hours' aspect of hot pot for me

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You don't leave the meat in there for 10 minutes you just dip it in until its done.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

hakimashou posted:

You don't leave the meat in there for 10 minutes you just dip it in until its done.

A quick in and out with some of the meat still bright red is ideal. Maybe don't do this in China though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean as with all food its a matter of taste but i dont think technique was the problem

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Having hotpot tonight, time to eat a fuckload of spicy boiled lamb, then wash it down with more spicy boiled lamb.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

bamhand posted:

A quick in and out with some of the meat still bright red is ideal. Maybe don't do this in China though.

I lived in China for 3 years and never got food poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Efexeye posted:

it's telling how there are so few 'after' pictures of the deliciously-carpaccio-seeming meat actually cooked. it's waterlogged, skinny sliced beef with all the fat rendered out. the plate i posted? each piece results in one bite.

the promise is

the reality is

at least at the one i ate at, you got individual pots of water, they said health code wouldn't allow one big pot for everyone to marinate their chopsticks and poo poo in, maybe that's the difference

i actually did like the rice they make you with the broth to take home, though, that alleviated the 'im still loving starving after sitting here for two hours' aspect of hot pot for me

ohh poo poo, yeah. that first pic is what i was picturing, like exactly. thats what I want. not that gross soup poo poo. that looks disgusting.

• Locked thread