Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bought some coilovers for the car today, time to swap out the 29 year old OEM kit (when it arrives anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And also... holy gently caress what the hell just happened in the USA???? I'm now prepared to believe the piss tape is real

We're becoming a plutocracy in the same fashion as Russia, most people just haven't realized it yet.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's an accrued liability that increases outstanding debt. The less you have outstanding the better the P/L looks.

Mine is umm...... GG I'll probably be ordered to take September off. I think mine is about to broach 40 days.

And also... holy gently caress what the hell just happened in the USA???? I'm now prepared to believe the piss tape is real

We elected an orange pissbaby who literally cannot handle being told no, and he's too incompetent to subtly take down the republic.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Buddy invited me to tag along to the fire house. Expect photos (provided I can worm my way out of a department meeting).

ExplodingSims posted:

We elected an orange pissbaby who literally cannot handle being told no, and he's too incompetent to subtly take down the republic.
The band is taking a road trip to Montreal and Toronto next week and I'm using it as a "huh, wonder if I could live here?" kind of trip.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

scuz posted:

Buddy invited me to tag along to the fire house. Expect photos (provided I can worm my way out of a department meeting).

The band is taking a road trip to Montreal and Toronto next week and I'm using it as a "huh, wonder if I could live here?" kind of trip.

gently caress yes you could. Montreal is amazing (Toronto's okay to, but, I like Montreal better).
Come for the healthcare, stay for the fact that everythings amazing!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ I'm 2.4 pounds from my goal weight.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Take a poo poo.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm about to put my Camry up for sale on Craigslist. It's an 03 V6 that's mechanically good, the paint is okay aside from one dent/crease at the top of the drivers door panel where a 1:2" square of paint flaked off. There are some minor scratches on the driver side (parking lot scratches, not rubbed up against a bollard) that would probably buff out. I'm hesitant to buff that though, because I doubt the car has ever been waxed and I don't want one conspicuously shiny spot. The rest of the paint isn't bad, clear is good. It just needs a good a good polish and wax.

Do you guys think there's any ROI to be had from polishing/waxing a 14-year-old, $4k Toyota before listing it?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

imagine this guys: 220v on every wall :fap:

Move to the UK? ~220 13A everywhere :confused:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meltie posted:

Move to the UK? ~220 13A everywhere :confused:

:thejoke:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah when you are within 2lbs or so, that's daily fluctuation for me.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but I've always found it :airquote:relatively:airquote: easy to get in semi decent shape and lose weight. I've always had a far more difficult time keeping it that way for the medium-long term. Hope it works out for you!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Yeah when you are within 2lbs or so, that's daily fluctuation for me.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but I've always found it :airquote:relatively:airquote: easy to get in semi decent shape and lose weight. I've always had a far more difficult time keeping it that way for the medium-long term. Hope it works out for you!

I call 178lbs my get-hurt weight. :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Looks like Europe is about to punish all the diesel owners after years of penalizing gasoline cars:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a33255/why-diesel-is-done-for-in-passenger-cars/

RIP small diesels.

In other news, I got tired of the 4-colors of bad paint and surface rust on my '90 RX-7.

(Click for embiggen)

Before (well, sort of during - I'd already sanded on the right side of the hood):

During:

After:

(stupid finger)

Full album here

I actually sanded it out pretty well. Got most of the chips smoothed, rust down to bare metal, etc. I didn't do any filler work, though, and with the fresh paint I can see all the hail dents in the hood. Ah, well - it was mostly just to get rid of the surface rust, which was on the hood, tops of the fenders, roof, and rear around the hatch. Pulled off the broken OEM urethane wing in the process. I have a fiberglass one to go back on.
Budget respray doesn't even begin to cover it. That's Rustoleum bare metal primer (sands well, actually) on the hood and fenders, and Rustoleum satin black for the finish. The left fender has cracked original paint, but I didn't want to spend the time to sand that to bare metal just yet, so it's a bit ugly, but at least one color. Got a few runs and sags, two paint cup drips on the hood, and a fisheye reaction on one of the headlight doors (I originally wasn't planning on painting those, so prepped inadequately. I'll pull them off and do them separately later,) using a HF HVLP gun that I just bought for $10 with a coupon. Sprayed pretty well, not that I have anything to measure that against. First time using an HVLP, and really only the second using a spray gun.
I don't really like the original color (too much gold in it), but there's not many other colors that go with the burgundy interior, and I don't want to do the jambs, etc. Planning on selling it soon anyway, so two-tone it is.

Factory brazed seam that I thought interesting:

Bonus PPE pic:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

monsterzero posted:

I'm about to put my Camry up for sale on Craigslist. It's an 03 V6 that's mechanically good, the paint is okay aside from one dent/crease at the top of the drivers door panel where a 1:2" square of paint flaked off. There are some minor scratches on the driver side (parking lot scratches, not rubbed up against a bollard) that would probably buff out. I'm hesitant to buff that though, because I doubt the car has ever been waxed and I don't want one conspicuously shiny spot. The rest of the paint isn't bad, clear is good. It just needs a good a good polish and wax.

Do you guys think there's any ROI to be had from polishing/waxing a 14-year-old, $4k Toyota before listing it?

I think so. Helps make the car look better in the pictures. Throw it up for a little more than you were going to originally without the wax and polish, see what happens.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

Looks like Europe is about to punish all the diesel owners after years of penalizing gasoline cars:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a33255/why-diesel-is-done-for-in-passenger-cars/

RIP small diesels.

In other news, I got tired of the 4-colors of bad paint and surface rust on my '90 RX-7.

(Click for embiggen)

Before (well, sort of during - I'd already sanded on the right side of the hood):

During:

After:

(stupid finger)

Full album here

I actually sanded it out pretty well. Got most of the chips smoothed, rust down to bare metal, etc. I didn't do any filler work, though, and with the fresh paint I can see all the hail dents in the hood. Ah, well - it was mostly just to get rid of the surface rust, which was on the hood, tops of the fenders, roof, and rear around the hatch. Pulled off the broken OEM urethane wing in the process. I have a fiberglass one to go back on.
Budget respray doesn't even begin to cover it. That's Rustoleum bare metal primer (sands well, actually) on the hood and fenders, and Rustoleum satin black for the finish. The left fender has cracked original paint, but I didn't want to spend the time to sand that to bare metal just yet, so it's a bit ugly, but at least one color. Got a few runs and sags, two paint cup drips on the hood, and a fisheye reaction on one of the headlight doors (I originally wasn't planning on painting those, so prepped inadequately. I'll pull them off and do them separately later,) using a HF HVLP gun that I just bought for $10 with a coupon. Sprayed pretty well, not that I have anything to measure that against. First time using an HVLP, and really only the second using a spray gun.
I don't really like the original color (too much gold in it), but there's not many other colors that go with the burgundy interior, and I don't want to do the jambs, etc. Planning on selling it soon anyway, so two-tone it is.

Factory brazed seam that I thought interesting:

Bonus PPE pic:

Your post is pretty loving cool, and while I'm not a fan of that style of two-tone paint, as far as I can see on my phone screen, it looks like it came out well.

However, I don't want that diesel thing to slip by me. How in the gently caress do you realistically enforce a $30 a day tax for driving inside of the city?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Holy gently caress, Tesla is on crack. They just announced pricing for their solar roof shingles... $21 per square FOOT for a 35% solar panel house, they say that homes could go to 70% solar panel, so the price could nearly double.

The cost for regular, "decent" shingles? Menards has Owens Corning dimensional shingles for $75 per SQUARE. A square is 100 square feet...

That Tesla price is staggeringly expensive and not a viable product.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-tesla-solar-roof-costs-2017-5

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Unhooking the PTO shaft under a tractor that's been sitting for over a year and was poorly maintained before that is a wonderful sampling of horrible textures and smells.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

LoL, picking out songs for the wedding and there's gonna be so much loving Queen.

She has no idea what she's gotten herself into

At my wedding, I cracked 400 glowsticks and stuffed them up my sleeves when Bohemian Rhapsody started playing.
When the guitars kicked in, I did the swirling arms air guitar move and the glowsticks flung wildly out my sleeve like bullets from a machine gun.

Seminal Flu posted:

Holy gently caress, Tesla is on crack. They just announced pricing for their solar roof shingles... $21 per square FOOT for a 35% solar panel house, they say that homes could go to 70% solar panel, so the price could nearly double.

The cost for regular, "decent" shingles? Menards has Owens Corning dimensional shingles for $75 per SQUARE. A square is 100 square feet...

That Tesla price is staggeringly expensive and not a viable product.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-tesla-solar-roof-costs-2017-5

I mean, people pay $50/sqft for floors... I don't see why those same people wouldn't consider spending half as much on a money making roof.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 10, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Elon's smoking some wacky poo poo. Their solar roof calculator isn't filling me with any kind of hope that this'll work. The whole idea behind solar is to replace your entire monthly power usage with solar, not just half of it. Traditional solar is still very expensive and this is more expensive and half as efficient, screw all this mess.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Elon Musk is a giant turd and I hope his business fails

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That cost seems comparable to "normal" solar panels, if for example I covered the entire south-facing roof of my house with those instead of buying a panel system.

Plus they don't look like rear end, and seem to have a lifetime warranty?

If I were looking to get solar and/or needed to re-tile my roof, I'd certainly consider it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

At my wedding, I cracked 400 glowsticks and stuffed them up my sleeves when Bohemian Rhapsody started playing.
When the guitars kicked in, I did the swirling arms air guitar move and the glowsticks flung wildly out my sleeve like bullets from a machine gun.

I mean, people pay $50/sqft for floors... I don't see why those same people wouldn't consider spending half as much on a money making roof.

(There's a LOT more roof on many houses than there is flooring.)

From this chart, it already is (except for the one quarter where they cooked the gently caress out of the books). Wall Street just has a giant chub for Tesla. It's going to bring us all down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Solar is such a meh* thing. Between getting harassed by installers every time I go to Home Depot or Costco, and having to be tactful when friends bring up installing it, I can't wait for the market to reach saturation and the bubble to burst. It's much ado about very little, propped up by eco-status-signaling, subsidies and financing schemes.

*molten salt and off grid excluded. That shits coo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

Solar is such a meh* thing. Between getting harassed by installers every time I go to Home Depot or Costco, and having to be tactful when friends bring up installing it, I can't wait for the market to reach saturation and the bubble to burst. It's much ado about very little, propped up by eco-status-signaling, subsidies and financing schemes.

*molten salt and off grid excluded. That shits coo.

I want solar to be a thing. but it's still just a bit too far in the future.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I really like the idea of Solar roofing if only just for how well it blends in. I mean, I'd love to be able to generate my own power, and let's face it traditional solar panels are pretty ugly.

That being said, I can't imagine those tiles would be a real powerhouse. Being able to at least power the lights/small appliances/computers would be pretty nice, but I'm assuming you're still have to pay the power company for things llike running the AC or a pool pump or something.

Though I'm not shocked first gen tech is expensive and inefficient though.

Elon is a bit full of himself and his Hyperloop idea is dumb too.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 10, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

That being said, I can't imagine those tiles would be a real powerhouse. Being able to at least power the lights/small appliances/computers would be pretty nice, but I'm assuming you're still have to pay the power company for things llike running the AC or a pool pump or something.

You'd only be able to run those appliances without drawing off the grid if you have a powerwall or something like it. I have solar on my house and no matter how much power it's making, any time the A/C runs I'm pulling from the grid instead of pushing to it.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Seminal Flu posted:

I want solar to be a thing. but it's still just a bit too far in the future.

Absolutely. It just a lot of bullshit to save 20% on your electricity bill. If it were my money, I'd put it towards insulation / airflow management and HVAC efficiency instead. That would benefit you year around instead of 4-6 months a year.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I doubt anyone would retrofit their existing roof for these but I can drat well see people saying "oh okay, the $fuckinglol mortgage I'm taking out is going to be $20k more of imaginary money spread out over 30 years on the off chance I live that long? Sure" on new construction.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

monsterzero posted:

Absolutely. It just a lot of bullshit to save 20% on your electricity bill. If it were my money, I'd put it towards insulation / airflow management and HVAC efficiency instead. That would benefit you year around instead of 4-6 months a year.

Yeah, having a properly built house that's properly sealed and insulated will help more than anything in the long run. Can't wait to build my own place.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, having a properly built house that's properly sealed and insulated will help more than anything in the long run. Can't wait to build my own place.

Amen. I'm starting with a whole-house fan and working out from there.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Musk wrote a more strongly worded letter about not using acronyms in the space engineering sector than he did "condemning" trump's anti Muslim ban. He's worshiped by libertarian tech lords who believe him to be the messiah when really he helped start a bunch of lovely businesses that would have failed if not propped up by VC

He and his ilk can suck a fat cock and will be first against the wall

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

He and his ilk can suck a fat cock and will be first against the wall

I agree but am simultaneously grateful at least one person is working on Jack Black's tube technology so maybe I'll give him a pass.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monsterzero posted:

I agree but am simultaneously grateful at least one person is working on Jack Black's tube technology so maybe I'll give him a pass.

I never made that connection and yet I am so glad that you just did.

when really he helped start a bunch of lovely businesses that would have failed if not propped up by VC

I mean, is the world really a worse place for some VC jackasses losing their money?

Also, SpaceX is cool as gently caress.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

No argument there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You can gently caress right off

Seminal Flu posted:

From this chart, it already is (except for the one quarter where they cooked the gently caress out of the books). Wall Street just has a giant chub for Tesla. It's going to bring us all down.

And you cant read a set of accounts and swallowed the bullshit short sellers have been trying to spruike. Meanwhile, those that CAN read a set of accounts see a very viable business in the midst of a huge expansion that has Amazon-like potential.

Take a lesson in P/L becuase you sound like one of those idiots who likewise shat on Amazon for never making a profit for years who clearly didnt read the P/L properly..... and got utterly eaten alive by said Amazon. So let me make this clear so the financially illiterate can understand - on a day to day operating level, Tesla are very much a good and viable company. The losses are solely about expenditure on expansion and R/D. On purely sale of products, Tesla makes a gross margin of 25% per car which is drat near unheard of.

Also more importantly, Tesla have reported in guidance (and you do NOT gently caress about with guidance calls) that they dont believe they need any more finance injections. THAT is the best sign they are more than viable and are set to reap in the future.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Take a lesson in P/L becuase you sound like one of those idiots

Take that righteous attitude and gently caress right off.

And just wait until their "$35k car" hits the market that you can't touch for under $60k, and their production hits a solid 1/3 of what they've promised.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

Take that righteous attitude and gently caress right off.

And just wait until their "$35k car" hits the market that you can't touch for under $60k, and their production hits a solid 1/3 of what they've promised.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll still argue all day long the Bolt wouldn't have seen the light of day without the fear of the Model 3.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Depending on the specifics I could be up a few grand or down a few hundred on a solar roof per that calculator. Too bad the roof would cost $30-50k and take 30 years to recoup. I don't plan on being in this house for more than a couple more years and I can reshingle it (myself) for a few grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

I never made that connection and yet I am so glad that you just did.

I mean, is the world really a worse place for some VC jackasses losing their money?

same

• Locked thread