Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enourmo posted:

Do apartments let you buy your own permanent fixtures, or is something that should go through maintenance? That's the only reason I asked at all; I'd rather avoid dropping money on a place I'm not in permanently.

E VV fan, this is a follow-up to my last posts

generally no, but would they notice? i'd try calling to have them fix it first and if they refuse replace it with a 50 dollar one from blowe's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Enourmo posted:

Do apartments let you buy your own permanent fixtures, or is something that should go through maintenance? That's the only reason I asked at all; I'd rather avoid dropping money on a place I'm not in permanently.

E VV fan, this is a follow-up to my last posts

What do you mean "let you"? You can buy and use whatever you want. I had a friend that upgraded all their appliances, they just put the lovely rental ones in the basement until they moved out. They also installed their own light fixtures and ceiling fans. Took them all when they moved out, replaced with original.

However, generally your landlord is required to maintain any fixtures that were there when you rented (this varies by state, double check) so if something breaks they should be fixing it. If you have a good relationship with your landlord you can ask if you can have input on replacement items such as your ceiling fan. Then you get the best of both worlds: a fan you like on your landlord's dime.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, if you're renting, a broken fan is the landlord's problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

How do they work?

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
True that your landlord is responsible for that, but I've built a good relationship with my landlord by making my own repairs and generally taking care of the place myself. I let him know each time I do/have done any maintainance, and he's never had a problem with it. He's also never raised my rent, which is unheard of in the area I'm in. I suppose this method wouldn't be effective if you live in one of those corporate-owned places, though.

LloydDobler posted:

Really you should wire the headlights through a relay if they aren't already, then wire the headlight switch through the ignition switch. There really is never a time when you need headlights on and don't have the keys handy.
This is a thing I'd like to do, thanks for the idea.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Fellow Beetle bro :respek:. I had to sell mine in November to get money to get away from a totally toxic relationship (but both of us are 1000x better than before, surprisingly), but I still have my 73 Dragonbus. I will have another beetle as time goes on, and probably another Super Beetle (though never a curved-window model - I respect them, but it's a 72 or 73 flat-window only version for me), and I'm going to start living vicariously through your posts and anecdotes.

I did everything to mine. Replaced every bushing, every mount, and every single piece of rubber that wasn't the window scrapers. I even put in pop-out windows and daily-drove it for nearly 2-3 years in Phoenix, and another 18 months at 50% duty along with the bus.

I never gave a proper introduction to your thread. While I may not be the air-cooled gurus that 14" and <dude who has that awesome red/gravel black-grey beetle he restored from the ground up, name escapes me rn but massive respect> are, I'm willing to help redneck you along the way if you want cheap, quick, and safe (if ugly) fixes, and tips on things I've learned.

I just finished reading your bus thread, dude! It is super inspiring and an awesome resource. You've done really great work on it. I'm super bummed you had to sell the beetle although I understand the reason. Had a similar situation in my 20s and leaving was the best decision I ever made. I hope you get another beetle soon. The world needs all the old beetles it can get.

I will definitely bug you for help. Heh, bug. I really want to do pop-out windows, and am considering a disk brake swap... I also have a leak to track down and possibly wiring to work on (radio goes out when it rains... Pretty sure it's coupled with the leak). I'd like to make her DD worthy, which will include making myself competent to driver her daily, so any of your wisdom (and any/all of AI) will be very highly valued.

I wouldn't count out the curved windshield bugs! It's nice to have that extra bit of room inside. It's not much, but it's noticible. My passenger wiper doesn't sit against it on the end, but whatevs.

BTW I loved your entry on the photo challenge!

Haha, thanks! It was fun and I totally wasn't self-conscious of eating spaghetti off my car while my neighbors looked on, thinking me a lunatic... :D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How do they work?

Drink some Faygo and find out!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So far I have set 13 8 foot 6x6 posts all by myself and feeling a little accomplished. This covers the main point of egress for the kids as the rest of the yard has a natural brush/tree fence line. I'm going to start building the actual fence and gate part I think so we can have a "closed" yard for the kids playing outside this summer and resume post setting after this section done. Sure mistakes were made and some posts are not laser aligned down to the millimeter but I feel pretty good just having used a tape measure, a level and my eyes.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Drink some Faygo and find out!

im drinking faygo right now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, picking out songs for the wedding and there's gonna be so much loving Queen.

She has no idea what she's gotten herself into

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
fat bottom girls on loop for 3 hours

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

Bicycle Race

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Another One Bites the Dust would be the most appropriate :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Another One Bites the Dust would be the most appropriate :v:

RUDE

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's ok man, I bit the dust 15 years ago :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I did it three years ago and it still owns

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Tie Your Mother Down.

Alternatively, I'm In Love With My Car.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Don't Stop Me Now is a sure-fire hit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I went to a painfully expensive super posh wedding a few years ago where the bride insisted the first dance was to that "let the bodies hit the floor" track. She was wearing big black new rock boots under her dress.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

im drinking faygo right now

I'm weirdly jealous. I love me some red pop and rock & rye. In fact, I generally love a lot of stuff that's seemingly confined to the Midwest (and Michigan in particular). I've considered ordering a case of Better Made cheese waffles and having it shipped to me multiple times.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:popeye: you can't fire your investigator

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Clearly you can.

LoL, somebody get the popcorn.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

LoL, picking out songs for the wedding and there's gonna be so much loving Queen.

Under Pressure.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I went to a painfully expensive super posh wedding a few years ago where the bride insisted the first dance was to that "let the bodies hit the floor" track. She was wearing big black new rock boots under her dress.

That's... pretty awesome.

Certainly not with that attitude!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well I just got in writing that if I've got annual leave I should take it before end of financial year because we're completely over budget and there's going to be no funding until next year so I might as well be on holidays instead of sweeping out the shed. Even the state lands manager suggested we all take 6 weeks leave...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The prefect wedding song was done by Type O Negative - "I Know You're loving Someone Else"

Turn your wedding into an instant episode of Jerry Springer!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ferremit posted:

Well I just got in writing that if I've got annual leave I should take it before end of financial year because we're completely over budget and there's going to be no funding until next year so I might as well be on holidays instead of sweeping out the shed. Even the state lands manager suggested we all take 6 weeks leave...

6 weeks? Holy poo poo.

I've only had one job where you could roll over vacation days year to year, and even then, they wouldn't let you take more than 2 weeks at a time.

e: MURIKA

You Am I posted:

The prefect wedding song was done by Type O Negative - "I Know You're loving Someone Else"

drat, been a really long time since I heard of them. I think I saw them once in the late 90s?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 10, 2017

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

6 weeks? Holy poo poo.

I've only had one job where you could roll over vacation days year to year, and even then, they wouldn't let you take more than 2 weeks at a time.

e: MURIKA

We're allowed to hold onto our leave year to year, but we're meant to have below 150hrs accrued at all times, which is down from what we used to do which was 250hrs in accrual. At one stage before our house was built I was banking up as much leave as possible to take 7-8 weeks leave to finish the house off when we got hand over, but because settlement got pushed out i was always sitting with about 7 weeks accrued up waiting.

Then I got my leave paid in, as well as three extra weeks that had not been paid in for working weekends for three years, on top of the 7 weeks sitting there. 14 weeks accrued up. 532hrs. My manager had a shitfit and i had 6 weeks off for a holiday, then took 8 weeks off for the house, then had another few holidays until i got it back down to 150hrs.

Tho we're all thinking at work that its 100% not our fault that our management hosed the books up so badly, so why should we be forced to take our personal leave because they cant afford to have us actually do any work other than mindless busy work. I'll happily take time off if they dont want us kicking around at work, but only if its absent on duty leave with full pay. Otherwise they can pay me to come in and sit in the lunchroom.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm trying to figure out how vacation pay costs the company more/less than actually working, and I'm failing. When I've taken vacation, taxes were still taken out of my paycheck, and the company had to pay for it directly out of their own coffers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm trying to figure out how vacation pay costs the company more/less than actually working, and I'm failing. When I've taken vacation, taxes were still taken out of my paycheck, and the company had to pay for it directly out of their own coffers.
You can partially or totally shut down and significantly reduce other overheads.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

You Am I posted:

Turn your wedding into an instant episode of Jerry Springer!

We played this at our wedding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usxRTi-zCT4

The last half of the song is a guy screaming Your life is over repeatedly :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

You can partially or totally shut down and significantly reduce other overheads.

Makes sense. I've worked some form of customer service in every job I've had, so shutdowns just didn't happen outside of Christmas.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 10, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

She has no idea what she's gotten herself into

Went to a wedding on Friday and they danced to <whatever> but as soon as my girlfriend got the chance to make a request she asked for Joy Division - Love will tear us apart. I told her I wasn't sure it was an entirely appropriate song to play "what do you mean?" bless her innocent (and clearly non-paying-attention-to-lyrics) heart

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

drat, been a really long time since I heard of them. I think I saw them once in the late 90s?

I love it when this song comes on in the middle of the album.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Some is paid for in the budget when it's accrued, not when it's taken. That's the case with time in lieu that I earn for working overtime. No extra pay but accrue paid time off. I often have up to 4 weeks worth of time in lieu built, and then get about 4 weeks annual leave every year too

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 10, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

I work for a similar dept in Nz and accrue shitloads of leave through summer cos it's when we can do all our work and then have to take it in winter, when it's wet and cold and dark 15 hours of the day. Kinda sucks. Have 30 ish days racked at the moment, managed to take most of April off. Supposed to take it all before August but I keep accruing more and have got a office role for the winter managing stuff for a nationwide project where I can't really take time off so oh well. Gonna be sweet having 2 months leave next winter to rip into the landcruiser in my new shed

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
One of my buddies demanded this be played at his wedding. The song had kind of become an inside joke among our group of friends. The old people looked slightly taken aback. https://youtu.be/2uTMTyqQxl4

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Went to a wedding on Friday and they danced to <whatever> but as soon as my girlfriend got the chance to make a request she asked for Joy Division - Love will tear us apart. I told her I wasn't sure it was an entirely appropriate song to play "what do you mean?" bless her innocent (and clearly non-paying-attention-to-lyrics) heart

Some people just don't listen to lyrics.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It's an accrued liability that increases outstanding debt. The less you have outstanding the better the P/L looks.

Mine is umm...... GG I'll probably be ordered to take September off. I think mine is about to broach 40 days.

And also... holy gently caress what the hell just happened in the USA???? I'm now prepared to believe the piss tape is real

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's an accrued liability that increases outstanding debt. The less you have outstanding the better the P/L looks.

Mine is umm...... GG I'll probably be ordered to take September off. I think mine is about to broach 40 days.

And also... holy gently caress what the hell just happened in the USA???? I'm now prepared to believe the piss tape is real

Somewhere in Hell, Nixon is laughing his rear end off.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

We get warned to take time off after 35 days have accrued, so I've got two weeks booked for when my current project ends. I would've like to take it earlier but it's gonna start at the same time SGDQ 2017 kicks off anyway so it worked out alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Pretty much this. If we're at home and not at work we're not driving around burning diesel, not using power tools using 2 stroke fuel, they dont have to try and think of work for us to do that doesnt require buying stuff to fix poo poo. Its less stressful on a budget thats already $10K overspent and climbing to not have anyone around.

Our wages are already accounted for- they get taken out of our sections budget and put aside at the start of the financial year- We get autopay so regardless of what we do for a time sheet or even if we put a time sheet in we get paid our base rate and then they modify the next fortnights pay according to your time sheets (Or several fortnights later if you only get near a computer after a month or so to do the timesheet)

• Locked thread