Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pureauthor posted:

358/2 Days (Supposed to be read as 358 Days Over 2)

To be clear, this is supposed to be Three Five Eight Days, not Three Hundred Fifty Eight. This is important.

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder which FF characters will show up in KH3.

I guess Lightning and Noctis would be shoe-ins, but beyond that, I dunno.

They could also throw in a FF12 character. I actually think Balthier/Fran would be a cool choice they could fit in somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mega64 posted:

Having not played a Kingdom Hearts game, the conclusion I'm coming to reading these posts is the KH universe would be better if everyone was dead.

Honestly, they already sort of are. Over half the important characters are all Xehanort and the rest are all Sora. Like, that's not even a joke or a comment on who does things or anything.

And to make it all the more dumber/better, Xehanort wants to make Sora the 13th and final Xenahort. Not because of a weird Narcissus thing where he wants everyone to be him, but because of ~Prophecy~

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ventana posted:

To be clear, this is supposed to be Three Five Eight Days, not Three Hundred Fifty Eight. This is important.

actually it's pronounced four-twenty over six nine yeeeeah boyeeee

the yeeeeah boyeeee is part of the title, yes, you have to say it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

my boy donald is the best character.

(not at fighting)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The White Dragon posted:

It's 5:19 AM and I can't sleep and I woke my roommate up laughing at this post.

I have only ever played the first KH game when it was new, are the "movies" on the compilations adequate or do I need to play their original games?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Do you care about the plot to Kingdom Hearts niche side games? Maybe. 358/2 isn't really well enough written to warrant it though.

Do you care about the plot to Kingdom Hearts mobile phone games that can be summarised in like three sentences enough to watch about 4 hours of Kingdom Hearts cutscenes? Probably not. Coded is not good to play, never mind watch the story of with nothing breaking it up. It's also completely and totally irrelevant and redundant.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kingdom Hearts is a beautiful train wreck, but at least we got an excellent character action game with RPG elements, a cool handheld beat-em-up with Leonard Nimoy going full ham, and some other okay games. And Im already half Xehonort, lol.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kingdom Hearts is extremely good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Kingdom Hearts looked like the dumbest thing imaginable to me when it first came out and all these years later nothing has changed my opinion otherwise

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dragonatrix posted:

It's also completely and totally irrelevant and redundant.

I feel like this describes all but 3 and a half games out of the 17 and a half (it's a different half)
Like it's probably only KH1, 2, BBS and 3D that are kind of important in the grand scheme of things no?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I was legitimately shook when I noticed that this post wasn't made by Gologle

Much like the city of Macondo, I am a mirror that reflects the world.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Ventana posted:

It's also not over 2 days, it's days over 2.

So 358/2 days is pronounced Three Five Eight Days Over Two.

Kingdom Hearts is the dumbest thing and I love it

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

ty for the correction

Calaveron posted:

Like it's probably only KH1, 2, BBS and 3D that are kind of important in the grand scheme of things no?

358/2 days is honestly kinda necessary. There's a bunch of things that just sorta happen and get referenced to in KH2 that actually happened in Days. You can kinda slip by and get the gist since it's mostly background stuff at that point, but days makes clear on several connections and some goals you wouldn't know otherwise (like Xemnas's intention to find the chamber of waking after telling Axel to kill the traitors). Xion probably somehow will pop up again too.

Recoded is completely irrelevant though, since every revelation there is pretty much told to you somewhere in DDD. At least for now; I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Data-Sora was somehow summoned into the real world to become a good guy and join Sora's heart or something stupid.

Unchained X/Union X and Back Cover are kinda weird. The original story of the browser game was kind of it's own thing about the keyblade war and boring retreads of world plots, so it didn't connect that much to the normal games. There have been developments lately that do connect it however. Like the 2.5 extra recoded cutscene showing Maleficent's intentions about the Book of Prophecies+the journal (DDD has a tiny bit for this but it doesn't explain everything), or Ventus showing up in Union X as a new Union Leader, or Master of Masters having some all-seeing eye in Xehanort's keyblade (and maybe Riku's weapons too) that's too obvious not to come into play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Kingdom Hearts looked like the dumbest thing imaginable to me when it first came out and all these years later nothing has changed my opinion otherwise

It is the dumbest thing imaginable.

It's also fun and takes itself amazingly seriously which kinda only increases the fun.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
KH is the series where the bad guy has to pause his Evil Monologuing to give an impromptu lesson on how to pronounce letters of the Greek alphabet because otherwise you wouldn't understand why what he's saying is Significant.

Also a vital component of the bad guys' plan is that they have absolute control over the letter X.

I love that stupid series so much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

It is the dumbest thing imaginable.

It's also fun and takes itself amazingly seriously which kinda only increases the fun.

Serious games only in the FF thread please

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The first time I played Kingdom Hearts was one of my weirdest gaming experiences ever, though actually Kingdom Hearts 2 might've been even weirder. The first time I heard about a Disney/Final Fantasy crossover I had no idea how it would ever work, and the thing I least expected was that it would take itself completely seriously and end up with this really weird and complex lore and :psyduck:

I'm never going to have the patience to sift through all the Kingdom Hearts lore so I'm sure KH3's story will be incomprehensible gibberish to me, but I'm gonna have fun anyway so that's fine.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Kingdom Hearts 1 is the best.

It has a self contained story that is easy to follow. The gameplay is great. Exploring past worlds with new gained abilities is fun. World feels like it actually lives.
The Disney worlds aren't rehashed Disney plots. They feel connected to the larger plot.
Final boss is baller as gently caress

gently caress Atlantica though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Being fair, the series didn't go all in on the crazy poo poo like Nobodies until Chain of Memories, KH1 was just a game about Mickey Mouse's anime stand-in going on adventures with Donald and Goofy while the league of Disney villains tried to foil him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, KH1 was pretty much just good clean fun with a bad guy who liked to yell "DARKNESS" a lot.

Extremely common take: I always thought Nobodies and Heartless should switch names. If I remember correctly, "Heartless" are made from the stolen hearts of people, right? Meanwhile, "Nobodies" are people who don't have hearts. Shouldn't those switch names? The things that are twisted hearts without humans should be Nobodies and the pseudo-humans with no hearts should be Heartless, right?

Anyway that weird naming only happened because they thought "Heartless" sounded cool as the enemies in the first game and it's not like they mapped out this insane lore from the start

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sefal posted:

Kingdom Hearts 1 is the best.

It has a self contained story that is easy to follow. The gameplay is great. Exploring past worlds with new gained abilities is fun. World feels like it actually lives.
The Disney worlds aren't rehashed Disney plots. They feel connected to the larger plot.
Final boss is baller as gently caress

gently caress Atlantica though.

Ironically, KH2's Atlantica is the highlight of the game.

KH1 is a good game but aged kinda badly gameplay wise. A real HD remake project to bring the quality of life up would be swell.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
holy poo poo that opinion

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

holy poo poo that opinion

I mutter this after every single post I read in this thread.

Especially my own.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I beat the original KH, but man KH2 was an awful slog to get things going, and is textbook video game example of "how not to start a video game."

As a sidenote, now that I beat Zelda I've been continuing World of Final Fantasy. It's a fantastic game especially now that I got the magitek armor.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I beat the original KH, but man KH2 was an awful slog to get things going, and is textbook video game example of "how not to start a video game."

As a sidenote, now that I beat Zelda I've been continuing World of Final Fantasy. It's a fantastic game especially now that I got the magitek armor.

WoFF is awesome.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Is it likely that WoFF will come to PC? I want to try it but idk if I should wait or not

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pureauthor posted:

KH is the series where the bad guy has to pause his Evil Monologuing to give an impromptu lesson on how to pronounce letters of the Greek alphabet because otherwise you wouldn't understand why what he's saying is Significant.

Also a vital component of the bad guys' plan is that they have absolute control over the letter X.

"I'm already half Xehanort"

Also does anyone have that interview where they say there's going to be a Big Hero 6 world and the plot of it involves Baymax getting corrupted by Heartless and it causes him to look like Sephiroth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

"I'm already half Xehanort"

Also does anyone have that interview where they say there's going to be a Big Hero 6 world and the plot of it involves Baymax getting corrupted by Heartless and it causes him to look like Sephiroth.

There's no interview, they mentioned it a loooong time ago and even showed concept art:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

There's no interview, they mentioned it a loooong time ago and even showed concept art:

I don't remember seeing this, that's cool. Although I might have gotten something mixed up because there's no Sephiroth similarities anywhere. :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
All the machinations done by the main villain are supposed to lead to him getting keyblade chiblade right which is the stupidest looking prop ever devised right

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

It's so good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Calaveron posted:

All the machinations done by the main villain are supposed to lead to him getting keyblade chiblade right which is the stupidest looking prop ever devised right

Is the final fantasy thread the thread where people are calling something else stupid looking

The series with the loving gunblade, Kuja's thong, and this disaster of a monster design

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

Is the final fantasy thread the thread where people are calling something else stupid looking

The series with the loving gunblade, Kuja's thong, and this disaster of a monster design

That just means we're experts on what looks stupid, being exposed to so, so many stupid designs.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, if something stands out as stupid to this group, you know it's gotta be good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Captain Baal posted:

Imgur is not working on my ipad but google image search chiblade and be surprised

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

that's not even the worst looking final boss

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Arist posted:

that's not even the worst looking final boss

Tell me about it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
For the record, the xblade is still stupider looking than the pizza cutter there

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ah yes, the keyblade. No, not the keyblade. The keyblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Calaveron posted:

For the record, the xblade is still stupider looking than the pizza cutter there

Now that both are on this page I can definitively say this isn't true.