Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BULBASAUR posted:

8th edition is so streamlined you need multiple different colored dice to resolve a shooting attack

Or you could just makes the rolls separately.

Roll for the bolters, then roll for the Meltas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

8th edition is so streamlined you need multiple different colored dice to resolve a shooting attack

There is pretty much no way they were going to get rid of multiple different weapons within a squad considering the kits they've sold for years and this isn't really any different.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Or you could just makes the rolls separately.

Roll for the bolters, then roll for the Meltas.

Why not just use templates

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

General Olloth posted:

There is pretty much no way they were going to get rid of multiple different weapons within a squad considering the kits they've sold for years and this isn't really any different.

GW has gotten rid of more for less.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Also, re: battle cannons vs heavy infantry:

BS3 is 1.75 hits vs terminators, which is 1.45 wounds, 0.73 unsaved wounds. 1/3 of the time that will do 1 damage and leave the terminator alive, 2/3rds of the time the terminator takes 2 damage and dies.

It's true that a battle cannon does have a high cap on what it can do but this is again the bolter vs land raider kind of argument. You've got about a 1 in 400 chance of getting 6 hits with a battle cannon, and they still have to roll to wound and armor saves.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 10, 2017

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

ijyt posted:

GW has gotten rid of more for less.

Well, okay, you're not wrong. But squatting models/loving people who had certain modeled configurations that were previously allowed would be WAY more shouted down than having to keep track of two different weapon types.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If you want to use all the same weapons in a squad play Eldar geez.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Looks at his 6 Leman Russ tanks.

Well, you're all losing your battle cannons.

8th ed, return of the executioner, exterminator and punisher. (not that the last one ever left)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ijyt posted:

Cause they are not exploding and a Template would not have been used anyway.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you want to use all the same weapons in a squad play Eldar 30k geez.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Zark the Damned posted:

I think they missed a good opportunity with the battlecannon to crib from a good game (Kings of War) and have it a single roll to hit, which causes D6 hits when it does so (or even D6 +1 or +2, it was a big blast!)

Instead making it D6 shots just means a bunch of extra dice rolling for the same effect (on average) and makes it pretty much the same as the other big guns that have random numbers of shots (Exorcists, Gigashoota, etc.).
Makes me think of 3rd edition, which was... bad.

You rolled to hit, if you missed, then the shot was lost. If you hit *then* you scattered, though IIRC it was an unmodified 1d6.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I think if they use D3 for most small blasts that would work fine. I can't remember the last time I saw a small bast get 4 hits.

Though D6 for the large blast is a little rough. Those are only shots not hits, so that's an extra hoop. I get that they needed it to be something simple, but maybe something like 2d3 instead. A tighter curve of results. (it would be madness to give them 3d3, right?). Maybe multiple dice per gun would make other large blast weapons more confusing as they fire multiple times or something.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Making me excited to run my blob of Tacticools at a Typhon.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

What are the lowest range point costs for 40k armies? My box came with parts for 10 models, but I screwed up the primer on 4 of them and stripping is going slow, so I was wondering if it would be a waste to just make another sergeant. The lists they had in the box are for 5 marines, including a sergeant and it's 70 points, I know the edition change will probably bring some point cost changes though. Right now I figured a squad of 5 dudes: 1 sergeant, 3 tactical, 1 heavy. Would this work for starting out or will I need more for the smallest list?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Sorry to interrupt all the rules talk but I finished my tester Sister and thought I would post.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Munchables posted:

What are the lowest range point costs for 40k armies? My box came with parts for 10 models, but I screwed up the primer on 4 of them and stripping is going slow, so I was wondering if it would be a waste to just make another sergeant. The lists they had in the box are for 5 marines, including a sergeant and it's 70 points, I know the edition change will probably bring some point cost changes though. Right now I figured a squad of 5 dudes: 1 sergeant, 3 tactical, 1 heavy. Would this work for starting out or will I need more for the smallest list?
You will need a lot more. So much more. A typical game requires one HQ and two Troops. 5 guys is half of a full squad, but is a valid troops choice. While you can play at 400-500 points (and there used to be a separate combat patrol variant for such games), your typical games are around 1500-2000. GW has stated that their goal with 8th is to get 1500 point games down to about 90 minutes so that's a good level to aim for.

Edit: You can use your guys in Shadow War though. There's no full-fledged power armor marine kill team yet, but you could easily use the Chaos Marine rules for now until GW puts one out for regular marines. You'll suffer a little without cultists, but you can definitely run an all-marine squad.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 10, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

big_g posted:

Sorry to interrupt all the rules talk but I finished my tester Sister and thought I would post.

This is fuckin awesome

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

ijyt posted:

The benefits of ditching templates isn't to speed up the shooting phase, its to speed up the movement phase. People aren't gonna be meticulously spreading out their models at max coherency when facing templates anymore.

note: I love templates and ill be sad to see em go. RIP Lobba barrage

big_g posted:

This is super rad, great work

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Miles O'Brian posted:

The benefits of ditching templates isn't to speed up the shooting phase, its to speed up the movement phase. People aren't gonna be meticulously spreading out their models at max coherency when facing templates anymore.

People were calling it out as speeding up shooting, now it's the movement phase? Even if it was true, per model positioning matters even more in 8th edition than in 7th due to the other rules.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I think if they use D3 for most small blasts that would work fine. I can't remember the last time I saw a small bast get 4 hits.

Though D6 for the large blast is a little rough. Those are only shots not hits, so that's an extra hoop. I get that they needed it to be something simple, but maybe something like 2d3 instead. A tighter curve of results. (it would be madness to give them 3d3, right?). Maybe multiple dice per gun would make other large blast weapons more confusing as they fire multiple times or something.

A goon suggested doing it how other games resolved it:

Roll to hit. If a miss, 1d3 hits. If it a hit 3 + D6 hits or whatever.

Or roll to hit. If a hit, place a template :smugdog::pipe:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Yeast posted:

Looks at his 6 Leman Russ tanks.

Well, you're all losing your battle cannons.

8th ed, return of the executioner, exterminator and punisher. (not that the last one ever left)

Heavy 8 exterminator should be bonkers

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteOutMouse posted:

What if the goal isn't to have every large blast weapon replicate the average number of hits that they had before? We've only seen one large blast weapon in 8th edition terms, but even if almost all of them become D6 hits, the goal may just be to punish horde armies less

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Safety Factor posted:

You will need a lot more. So much more. A typical game requires one HQ and two Troops. 5 guys is half of a full squad, but is a valid troops choice. While you can play at 400-500 points (and there used to be a separate combat patrol variant for such games), your typical games are around 1500-2000. GW has stated that their goal with 8th is to get 1500 point games down to about 90 minutes so that's a good level to aim for.

Edit: You can use your guys in Shadow War though. There's no full-fledged power armor marine kill team yet, but you could easily use the Chaos Marine rules for now until GW puts one out for regular marines. You'll suffer a little without cultists, but you can definitely run an all-marine squad.

Alrighty! What's a good way to go about working out a list? I plan on possibly grabbing some more guys next check or so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Munchables posted:

Alrighty! What's a good way to go about working out a list? I plan on possibly grabbing some more guys next check or so.

So you are going for Space Marines. (Also you may be able to get a voucher for your codex equal to its cost. So you can get more minis, due to the upcoming ruleset rendering it null and void.)

The Start Collecting Boxs tend to be the places to start. This is the Default Space Marine one https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Start-Collecting-Space-Marines

Here is the entire Space Marine Range.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-C...cat440130a-flat

Though the big issue with starting building your army now. Is that we don't know the points cost for the new edition yet.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 10, 2017

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

As expected, GW is knocking it out the park with 8th edition. All the changes are amazing; especially the new blast weapon rules, and the daily teasers are great!

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

So you are going for Space Marines. (Also you may be able to get a voucher for your codex equal to its cost. So you can get more minis, due to the upcoming ruleset rendering it null and void.)

The Start Collecting Boxs tend to be the places to start. This is the Default Space Marine one https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Start-Collecting-Space-Marines

Here is the entire Space Marine Range.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-C...cat440130a-flat

Though the big issue with starting building your army now. Is that we don't know the points cost for the new edition yet.

Yeah, I sent in my request a couple weeks ago for the voucher. I thought about getting the start collecting box, and I might still, but I prefer the mark 3 armor for my army. I wish there was a start collecting box for it.
My main question is how do you go about making a list? What things do you have to keep in mind when making it, in terms of what you want to get out of it? I'm not familiar with the game mechanics or model designations and what not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Munchables posted:

Yeah, I sent in my request a couple weeks ago for the voucher. I thought about getting the start collecting box, and I might still, but I prefer the mark 3 armor for my army. I wish there was a start collecting box for it.
My main question is how do you go about making a list? What things do you have to keep in mind when making it, in terms of what you want to get out of it? I'm not familiar with the game mechanics or model designations and what not.

Getting a detachment going is probably the best bet for now.

They showed off 3 detachments for their rules preview. And the battalion one seems to be the middle sized one that seems good to start around.

So first off you need to get 2 HQ Units and 3 Troop Units that way we can get what you need out of the way. Before we get into extra stuff that will help. Though a Rhino tends be a solid pick for an extra, from my experience.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 11, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If they had a detachment that was nothing but loads of troops, elites, and heavy support, with more than two HQ slots, I would never use anything besides that

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That one has three. And six Elites. That's probably the one I'm using forever, just because then I can field nine Dreadnoughts simultaneously.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Six troops, six elites, six heavy support, six HQ (!) and I'll be happy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goose willis posted:

If they had a detachment that was nothing but loads of troops, elites, and heavy support, with more than two HQ slots, I would never use anything besides that

This one?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Also please make Assault Squads troop choices for Blood Angels again tia

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

After painting the Warriors I posted a few pages back, I've been figuring out how to base the army. Decided to match the scheme of a friend I play against, but with a little Tyranid-style twist. The quick photo washed out some of the colour (the brown is certainly lighter than this looks) and I've still got some grass and details to add but I'm happy with how the goo turned out!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fuegan posted:

After painting the Warriors I posted a few pages back, I've been figuring out how to base the army. Decided to match the scheme of a friend I play against, but with a little Tyranid-style twist. The quick photo washed out some of the colour (the brown is certainly lighter than this looks) and I've still got some grass and details to add but I'm happy with how the goo turned out!

that looks great--I think the goo effect really works

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fuegan posted:

That's pretty sick dude, how'd you do the goo?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Not that I mind breaking down probabilities with regards to the new weapons, but isn't the design lead of 8th confirmed to be Robin "Math is an opinion" Cruddace? (Please tell me I'm wrong)
It just seems like an exercise in futility to analyze the numbers more than what the designers probably did. :shrug:

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

goose willis posted:

This one has three required fast attack choices.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Soulfucker posted:

Not that I mind breaking down probabilities with regards to the new weapons, but isn't the design lead of 8th confirmed to be Robin "Math is an opinion" Cruddace? (Please tell me I'm wrong)
It just seems like an exercise in futility to analyze the numbers more than what the designers probably did. :shrug:

It's a different guy. That keeps being repeated, but its unfounded. Pete Foley is leading the design team.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Death to Fast Attack

But otherwise it looks nice yeah

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Soulfucker posted:

I haven't actually seen anything confirming that or mentioning it on one of the major sites since this started. I was under the impression that it was Pete Foley, since he's been introduced by GW as the head of rules & settings teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's a different guy. That keeps being repeated, but its unfounded. Pete Foley is leading the design team.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I haven't actually seen anything confirming that or mentioning it on one of the major sites since this started. I was under the impression that it was Pete Foley, since he's been introduced by GW as the head of rules & settings teams

Okay! I'm curious, what book(s) has the guy written before?

• Locked thread