Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

yeah

E: I am not at all Jealous of the Storygaming Swine who stole my rightful place due to their anti-spaghetti views

I'm half of System Mastery, we were pulling real hard for Muscle Marines and put it in the finalists. It was our personal favorite from our reading blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I think I'm going to roll with Samaritan Dynamics, but kinetochore KinetiCorp is going on the list for later.

edit: a Cronenberg joke was definitely in mind at first, but there's at least one player who may or may not show up that would definitely know where I was going with that. I had to scratch off naming a hip new drug Tetsuo for a similar reason.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 10, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

theironjef posted:

I'm half of System Mastery, we were pulling real hard for Muscle Marines and put it in the finalists. It was our personal favorite from our reading blocks.

Hey, thanks! It was real fun to put together, and I'd love to hear more thoughts on it if you have any.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I forget do we have a thread for selling RPG stuff, cause I've got some stuff I'm thinking of getting rid of, and while I'm probably just going to sell most of it to Noble Knight, I figure I should see if anyone around here might be interested as well

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Who was the dude who used to go on about Pendragon / Arthurian Myth? I remember he had a thread for it. It was fascinating.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Zurui posted:

Who was the dude who used to go on about Pendragon / Arthurian Myth? I remember he had a thread for it. It was fascinating.

That would be Liesmith, who is no longer around.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
He got arrested for wearing socks in a hot tub

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Hey, thanks! It was real fun to put together, and I'd love to hear more thoughts on it if you have any.

Well, though we're forever branded as storygaming swine now, it was never part of the judging rules. The rules were literally "Here's a ton of games, pick four favorites." Criteria was left up to individual judges. So in our case (since the other host of my show and I judged as a team) we tried to pick games that made the most efficient use of space in terms of content provided, since the only real metric that writers had to think about was the 200 word limit. A game could fairly easily throw down a new ruleset in 200 words with no story, or a storytelling prompt set with no or limited rules, and those were both fairly common, but I personally loved when a game managed to not only provide both, but have the two link together in an inventive way. Muscle Marines featured a unique resolution mechanic and the theme made sense immediately. I was picturing The Ripping Friends in ill-fitting space marine armor right away, basically. The lack of dice, cards, or coins was a plus, and of the various games that had physical elements it was the only one that was a challenge (the rest were stuff like "walk around a mall.")

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/lyndonhood/status/634147218929360896

this was too obtrusive to include in an F&F but it's funny so enjoy, chat thread

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
And through this spooky graveyard of the universe the spooky, spooky beating of drums, and spooky, spooky whine of spooky flutes from spooky, spooky chambers beyond Time; the spooky pounding and piping whereunto dance spookily, spookily, and spookily the spooky, spooky spooky gods—the spooky, spooky, spooky gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

I forget do we have a thread for selling RPG stuff, cause I've got some stuff I'm thinking of getting rid of, and while I'm probably just going to sell most of it to Noble Knight, I figure I should see if anyone around here might be interested as well

Okay so I got an offer from Noble Knight for $100 cash(plus shipping) for the books I was thinking of selling, here's the books I'm planning on getting rid of, am I getting a good deal;

Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Edition Core Rulebook
Shadowrun 4e Runner's Companion
Shadowrun 4e Arsenal
Shadowrun 4e Street Magic
Shadowrun 4e Augmentation
Shadowrun 4e Unwired

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Basic Game

Star Wars D20 Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook 1st Edition/printing

Star Wars Roleplaying Game SAGA Edition Core Rulebook
Star Wars SAGA Edition Threats of The Galaxy

The Noble Knight representative didn't give me set values for each book, but he did say that most of that figure came from the Star Wars SAGA books and the Shadowrun core book, with the rest on average being around 5-7 dollars in value

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This woman fed 365 D&D spells into a neural network and generated some new ones.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Aww, I was hoping for spell text too, not just names

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Guys, we better find a place to rest. All I've got left is one Hold Mouse."
"WHY DO YOU KEEP PREPARING THIS"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For a B/X oneshot I ran recently, I just gave the Magic-User the spell list:

but didn't elaborate on what the spells actually did. They got the idea behind Magic Missile and Floating Disc and Protection from Evil easily enough, but then when the party was trapped in the middle of an orc fortress with the orcs closing on all sides

"Can I cast ... uhhh ... Hold Portal?"

"Okay, what do you with it?"

"I hold open a portal back to the town we came from just long enough for everyone to escape!"

I was so hoisted by my own petard that I let the interpretation stand.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

Oh, man. Farming is a spell now? I guess martials really can't have anything.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well one of the main reasons I was going to sell that stuff fell through(me bidding on a huge lot of AD&D books, ended up getting outbid past the point I was comfortable paying), but I'll probably still sell the stuff, the money would still be nice(especially since Anime Expo is less than 2 months away and I haven't really done any saving for it yet), and it would clear up some needed shelf space for me

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Robotic Folksinger posted:

Oh, man. Farming is a spell now? I guess martials really can't have anything.
Probably better if you don't even try, some jackass wizard is just gonna come along anyway casting Heat on Farm.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

quote:

I can at least induce spelling mistakes.

ouch

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Gland Growth

It's last in the list but at that point the neural network was figuring out how to give people magic cancer. Maybe it's good the list stopped there before we got to Power Word: Meatbag.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's an article about Divinity: Original Sin 2's "Dungeon Master Mode" and how it was demo'd specifically in an attempt to replicate a D&D experience:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/9/15589492/divinity-original-sin-2-game-master-mode-gameplay-video-dungeons-and-dragons

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

Okay so I got an offer from Noble Knight for $100 cash(plus shipping) for the books I was thinking of selling, here's the books I'm planning on getting rid of, am I getting a good deal;

Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Edition Core Rulebook
Shadowrun 4e Runner's Companion
Shadowrun 4e Arsenal
Shadowrun 4e Street Magic
Shadowrun 4e Augmentation
Shadowrun 4e Unwired

Star Wars D20 Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook 1st Edition/printing

Star Wars Roleplaying Game SAGA Edition Core Rulebook
Star Wars SAGA Edition Threats of The Galaxy

The Noble Knight representative didn't give me set values for each book, but he did say that most of that figure came from the Star Wars SAGA books and the Shadowrun core book, with the rest on average being around 5-7 dollars in value

This seems reasonable. I need to sell some old 3.5 books I have and my Star Wars Saga books. I have the Core and the Old Republic books, along with some others I'm blanking on, so it's probably around time to cash in.

EDIT: I remember some goons were looking for SAGA books and if they make a me a good offer I'll sell them the Old Republic book.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 10, 2017

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
So I have a rules question about Legends of the Wulin and I think we have some of the writers posting here, but not actually sure if we have a specific thread for 'I have a random rules question' and there isn't a thread for LotW that I can see. Chat thread seems like the best port of call?

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that if you have an Elemental Chi pool you regenerate a point of that elemental chi in addition to your normal chi regeneration every round. Half Burnt Manual definitely seems to strongly imply this as one of the reasons why elemental chi is perhaps too powerful. I cannot for the life of me find this anywhere in the core rulebook - the section on Chi Regeneration just says that you regain your rank level in chi every round (eg 2 chi at rank 4). Do you actually regain bonus chi if you have elemental chi? Or do you have to choose for some of your normal allotment to be elemental?

Example to make things clearer:
Li is a Rank 4 fighter with a normal cap of 11 Normal Chi, 2 Wood Chi and 1 Earth Chi. He is on 5 normal, 0 wood chi and 0 earth chi and did not focus on breath this round. At the end of the round does he:

1) Go up to 7 normal chi, 1 wood chi and 1 earth chi?
2) Go up to 7 normal chi and gain 1 point of elemental chi to go into either wood or earth?
3) Regain 2 chi, which can be allotted to normal, wood or earth in whatever proportion he likes?

Doodmons fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 10, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doodmons posted:

So I have a rules question about Legends of the Wulin and I think we have some of the writers posting here, but not actually sure if we have a specific thread for 'I have a random rules question' and there isn't a thread for LotW that I can see. Chat thread seems like the best port of call?

I'm sure that I've read somewhere that if you have an Elemental Chi pool you regenerate a point of that elemental chi in addition to your normal chi regeneration every round. Half Burnt Manual definitely seems to strongly imply this as one of the reasons why elemental chi is perhaps too powerful. I cannot for the life of me find this anywhere in the core rulebook - the section on Chi Regeneration just says that you regain your rank level in chi every round (eg 2 chi at rank 4). Do you actually regain bonus chi if you have elemental chi? Or do you have to choose for some of your normal allotment to be elemental?

Example to make things clearer:
Li is a Rank 4 fighter with a normal cap of 11 Normal Chi, 2 Wood Chi and 1 Earth Chi. He is on 5 normal, 0 wood chi and 0 earth chi and did not focus on breath this round. At the end of the round does he:

1) Go up to 7 normal chi, 1 wood chi and 1 earth chi?
2) Go up to 7 normal chi and 1 chi and gain 1 point of elemental chi to go into either wood or earth?
3) Regain 2 chi, which can be allotted to normal, wood or earth in whatever proportion he likes?
It is #1 by the book, but there are some who would houserule to either 2 or 3. I'd try to find it in the book but I am at work.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know how good Noble Knight Games is in terms of trade-ins for cash? I'm considering thinning out my collection since I have a lot of stuff I don't play anymore that's taking up space. I know Amazon buys RPG books for an OK amount but it seems on the low end for most stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Guys, we better find a place to rest. All I've got left is one Hold Mouse."
"WHY DO YOU KEEP PREPARING THIS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOv5ZjAOpC8

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

It is #1 by the book, but there are some who would houserule to either 2 or 3. I'd try to find it in the book but I am at work.

I was sure I'd read that's the case but I've scoured the book and cannot find any mention of bonus elemental chi regeneration anywhere. Maybe I'm just blind.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doodmons posted:

I was sure I'd read that's the case but I've scoured the book and cannot find any mention of bonus elemental chi regeneration anywhere. Maybe I'm just blind.
It's probably mentioned in the middle of one sentence exactly one time. Game is good but the book had zero editing. I would just ctrl+f "chi" and read each paragraph that gets a hit.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

gradenko_2000 posted:

For a B/X oneshot I ran recently, I just gave the Magic-User the spell list:

but didn't elaborate on what the spells actually did. They got the idea behind Magic Missile and Floating Disc and Protection from Evil easily enough, but then when the party was trapped in the middle of an orc fortress with the orcs closing on all sides

"Can I cast ... uhhh ... Hold Portal?"

"Okay, what do you with it?"

"I hold open a portal back to the town we came from just long enough for everyone to escape!"

I was so hoisted by my own petard that I let the interpretation stand.

In Hackmaster it's Bar Portal. My alcoholic fighter was very disappointed to learn it didn't work like he thought it did.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Where are you located and what do you want for this? Skype is doctormoriatti and I'm US based

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tag yourself, I'm Heat on Farm

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

No matter how Mous of Farts is interpreted mechanically, it's sure to disappoint the caster.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Falstaff posted:

No matter how Mous of Farts is interpreted mechanically, it's sure to disappoint the caster.

Perhaps, but who in their right mind wouldn't have Fomend’s Beating Sphere prepped?

And Mind Blark sounds...dangerous.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No one has ever dared to cast Finger of Enftebtemang.

By contrast, people Conjure Velemert all the time, and he's starting to get really ticked off about it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EverettLO posted:

And Mind Blark sounds...dangerous.
It's not dangerous, but who wants to babysit Blark all day? He's just some fighter I rolled up after Clark and Mark fell in a pit trap.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Mind Blark: Mall Cop

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Moss Healing Word: A Svirfneblin's Best Friend

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igR-ypkIKnU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Barking Sphere is going to be in my game at some point. Dunno how yet, but it'll be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tagging forums-poster Error 404 with "True Steake"

• Locked thread