Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Strawberries are the absolute best how do you hate strawberries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
slam that "Report" button, dogs

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kirios posted:

Strawberries are the absolute best how do you hate strawberries?

I dunno, I prefer raspberries and blackberries.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You don't like blueberries? Monster.

I always got kale. Lots of lots of kale. This is before the kale craze where people make kale smoothies, kale chips, kale toast, etc.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

monster on a stick posted:

I always got kale. Lots of lots of kale. This is before the kale craze where people make kale smoothies, kale chips, kale toast, etc.

I have a strong theory that CSAs are what started the kale craze. People fighting their way out of kale avalanches armed with nothing but a blender.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

monster on a stick posted:

I love blueberries, I just don't generally associate them with the other three. Different flavor profile or something I guess.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Alright here's a food/money question - how the gently caress do those $1/day food budget rice and bean people eat any FRUIT? My coworker is super smug about how he and his wife spend less than $150 a month on food and I have no clue how you would ever consume anything fruit-like on that budget.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright here's a food/money question - how the gently caress do those $1/day food budget rice and bean people eat any FRUIT? My coworker is super smug about how he and his wife spend less than $150 a month on food and I have no clue how you would ever consume anything fruit-like on that budget.

I grow a lot of fruit and veg in my yard for free which I package and freeze for the year.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There are places that sell the imperfect produce that the major chains turn away. That stuff is usually super-cheap.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ketchup contains tomato, which is a fruit.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Big bags of apples are cheap.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Ketchup contains tomato, which is a fruit.
N-no.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

Hearing about all these overpriced food delivery services got me wondering: What ever happened to the Schwan's delivery truck? Those guys were way ahead of the game on basically the same exact thing.

Holy poo poo! They still exist! http://www.schwans.com/

I'll never forget those ugly tan/brown cooler trucks driving around when I was a kid living in a poor neighborhood. The people that could afford the Schwan's truck had made it..and they'd throw the lobster carapaces over our fence for the dogs to nibble on. :3:

Schwan's is great. If you get on their regular routes, the delivery guy will come to your house even if you don't order anything and it's like a game show finding out if anything you like to eat is on his truck. It's kind of pointless unless you have a chest freezer.

Also, some of you fuckers are getting put on ignore.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They mostly don't, the rice n' beans people (who are usually prescribing that for others, not doing it themselves) don't bother to think about what's needed for a healthy diet. If you're actually rice & beans poor you just hope things get better before you get sick from malnutrition.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sprouts consistently has apples for 88-98 cents per pound, bananas for 59 cents per pound, and a rotation of cheap veggies.

E: cut out a part talking about my own recipes.

Shopping is a skill just like managing money is a skill. People who complain about healthy food being expensive just go in and buy whatever they feel like without looking at the price.

Or they legitimately live in a super expensive area, in which case condolences.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
BWM: Buying a big tray of strawberries from the farmers' market in the morning and having them go bad by dinnertime. :(

M(ore)BWM: Being my co-worker who bought a VR setup, then left it sitting out where her cat chewed through the cables overnight. :suicide:

quote:

There are places that sell the imperfect produce that the major chains turn away. That stuff is usually super-cheap.

Is there a name for these sorts of places? "Supermarkets with ugly food :haw:" doesn't seem like a good search string, and I'd love to find one in the bay area where I live a BWM life.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sundae posted:

Is there a name for these sorts of places? "Supermarkets with ugly food :haw:" doesn't seem like a good search string, and I'd love to find one in the bay area where I live a BWM life.

I'm pretty sure Grocery Outlet does this.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

why eat fruit? Seasonal it's quite cheap e.g. peaches but otherwise fruit isn't needed. If you must make a loaf of bread for 20 cents and splurg on some preserves.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Sundae posted:

BWM: Buying a big tray of strawberries from the farmers' market in the morning and having them go bad by dinnertime. :(

M(ore)BWM: Being my co-worker who bought a VR setup, then left it sitting out where her cat chewed through the cables overnight. :suicide:

I've seen Second Chance Grocery, but I don't know if that's sufficiently generic. Dented cans, irregular Oreos, etc.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Is Aldi too expensive for this discussion? They have good frozen fruit for pretty cheap.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sundae posted:

I don't think there are any chains that do it, or nothing larger than a local chain anyhow. But you're in the Bay area, just google "imperfect produce Bay Area" and you should find something.

I have no idea if their prices are actually cheap, it was just the first Google result!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sundae posted:

Well-supplied Feed and Tack stores sell ugly potatoes and carrots in bulk.

Ironically, they're expecting you to feed them to horses.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ethnic markets can be good for produce deals too. Frustratingly, farmer's markets aren't, at least inside a city. I go every week and every week I'm surprised anew that the produce costs 4x what it does in the store across the street.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't think there are any chains that do it, or nothing larger than a local chain anyhow. But you're in the Bay area, just google "imperfect produce Bay Area" and you should find something.

I have no idea if their prices are actually cheap, it was just the first Google result!

That's incredibly cheap compared to grocery chains in my area. Thanks! (Like, 80% off cheap.)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sundae posted:

That's incredibly cheap compared to grocery chains in my area. Thanks! (Like, 80% off cheap.)

Get your ugly potato on, my friend!

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Ethnic markets can be good for produce deals too. Frustratingly, farmer's markets aren't, at least inside a city. I go every week and every week I'm surprised anew that the produce costs 4x what it does in the store across the street.

Have you tried not supporting cheap/slave labor for once?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TheAsterite posted:

Slavery becomes GWM at about .50 cents a banana.

Everyone has a price. Some of us take our payment in cheap fruit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/johnny-depp-a-star-crisis-insane-story-his-missing-millions-1001513

This article has more details about Johnny Depp's money issues.
Guy spends $30k/month on wine, bought a $10m yacht that he spent another $8m renovating, at one point owned 14 residences (including a 37 acre hamlet in France), and impulse-bought a $400k diamond cuff at sticker price.

He is claiming damages from his money people for tax penalties from filing his taxes late, but they say that Johnny Depp never had the cash in April to pay them on time :laugh:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TheAsterite posted:

There's depressingly no reason to think the food at my farmer's market isn't picked by slave labor. Maybe yours is better.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The millennia-long war between city and country dwellers continues, I see.

In any case, Woolworths of Australia sells slightly imperfect fruits and vegetables for marginally less than the closer to perfect ones. I live really close to some farms, though, so I just buy from their trading outpost.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I don't give a poo poo about food chat so here's some BWM.

Parents lend daughter $368,000. Daughter makes excuses about how she's isn't working so cannot repay them. Of course she owns two very expensive houses and drives a merc so she's living in poverty.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/personal-finance/news/article.cfm?c_id=12&objectid=11852648

quote:

Trevor and Marian Warin refused to back down after their daughter repeatedly refused to pay back loans totalling $368,000.

The elderly Tauranga couple took Colleen Warin, a chartered accountant, to the High Court in Wellington over the outstanding debt.

In a Facebook post Ms Warin said she "slaved picking tomatoes and worked all my life" for her money.

She went on to write her daughter bought an expensive car and property on Waiheke Island instead of paying Ms Warin and her husband back.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

canyoneer posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/johnny-depp-a-star-crisis-insane-story-his-missing-millions-1001513

Guy spends $30k/month on wine, bought a $10m yacht that he spent another $8m renovating, at one point owned 14 residences (including a 37 acre hamlet in France), and impulse-bought a $400k diamond cuff at sticker price.

He is claiming damages from his money people for tax penalties from filing his taxes late, but they say that Johnny Depp never had the cash in April to pay them on time :laugh:

Reminds me of this article about an accountant for celebrities http://nymag.com/thejob/2017/04/the-accountant-who-tries-to-keep-celebrities-from-going-broke.html

quote:

The hard part is when you try to help people and they won’t let you. A lot of times, we’ll go to a client and say, “Listen, you’re overspending. You need to cut back.” They’re just wasteful and dumb, and it’s frustrating if they won’t listen, if they won’t even look at a piece of paper. They don’t want to hear it. They don’t want to know it.

Or they go, “Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know, I know, I know.” And they just continue to spend. You try to rein them in, to put limits on their credit cards or whatever, and they have complete and utter hissy fits about it. And then, six months or a year down the road, they go, “Where’s all my money? What did you do with it?”

quote:

For awards shows, the gowns and jewelry they wear are usually borrowed. But depending on the person, hair and makeup can run anywhere from $2,000 if you’re very lucky to a more likely $10,000 to $20,000. And the thing that makes me crazy about that is that a lot of these people are beautiful to begin with. When you have someone who is absolutely stunningly beautiful without hair and makeup, how does it cost that much money?! And then they’re like, “Oh, and we need the massage before, and then we need the pedicure …” Oh for god’s sake! And it’s getting worse with men, because they’re getting stylists and all that. And they’re getting hair extensions, too. Then there is private security and the car on hire, which of course they keep for the entire night, so if they leave their house at 5 p.m., and then they go to the after-parties, it’s usually 12 to 14 hours. So that could be $5,000, $6,000, $7,000, just for the car that is basically sitting there doing nothing. The private security is anywhere from $500 to $1,000 an hour, plus expenses, plus you probably have to get them a hotel, plus they want per diem, plus you probably flew them out. All of it, it’s just out of control.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Devian666 posted:

Parents lend daughter $368,000.

It sounds like it took a number of loans over a number of years to get to that point. I know it was their child, but you should probably stop throwing good money after bad well before you hit $368,000.

quote:

Guy spends $30k/month on wine

In all fairness, if I were Johnny Depp, I might have a month or two like that.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

In the era of Uber etc how in the world does a stupid car and a couple security guards for hire possibly cost $1000+ an hour

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

In the era of Uber etc how in the world does a stupid car and a couple security guards for hire possibly cost $1000+ an hour

Well uh first of all you want them to know how to get to the venue/not pull a Princess Di on you

Secondly you probably want them to actually know how to work security, if you think your rear end needs protection.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

They hire professionals.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Asian markets are great places to get cheap produce. WSJ or NYTimes had a good article not too long ago talking about the economics of why Asian markets have cheaper produce (reduced overhead, minimal marketing, etc).

I buy the bulk of my veggies from the Asian market around the corner from my house. I rarely pay more than $2/lb for stuff.

EDIT: When I say $2/lb I mean that's the high end. Most stuff is $1.29/lb or less.

Jan 11, 2004

Scudworth posted:

They hire professionals.

I mean no doubt, so does my place of employment on nights and weekends but I'm pretty sure those armed guards make about $25 an hour. How much are ex cop or ex military or professional bouncer types charging?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

I mean no doubt, so does my place of employment on nights and weekends but I'm pretty sure those armed guards make about $25 an hour. How much are ex cop or ex military or professional bouncer types charging?

Emma Watson's ex-NYPD guard makes $150k
Quick googling suggests it's $1000+ for an event per guard, plus driver, plus their car, plus bigger starts bring multiple guards and an armed driver. Consider that a lot of these people have very real stalkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

Scudworth posted:

Emma Watson's ex-NYPD guard makes $150k
Quick googling suggests it's $1000+ for an event per guard, plus driver, plus their car, plus bigger starts bring multiple guards and an armed driver. Consider that a lot of these people have very real stalkers.

Insert joke about why would an NYPD officer take that kind of pay cut??