Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
BTW, I took the advice of the Prey thread and "fuckin' bought it". I'm only 3 hours in but it feels like a Looking Glass game in all the right ways. The Prey thread is right. Buy that game if you like Thief, System Shock, or Dishonored style "Solve The Problem Your Way" games.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

Short games and long games are equally cool imo, problems arise when a game stretches its content to pad its game time, like Alien Isolation, the longest 5 hour game of all time.

Alien Isolation was Not Fun for me at all.

I think part of why I'm really loving Prey is that I went to it with expectations based on other similar games I didn't like (Deus Ex HR, BioShock, Alien Isolation) and it took Prey less than an hour to go, "Naw, we got you fam"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW, I took the advice of the Prey thread and "fuckin' bought it". I'm only 3 hours in but it feels like a Looking Glass game in all the right ways. The Prey thread is right. Buy that game if you like Thief, System Shock, or Dishonored style "Solve The Problem Your Way" games.

i mean, palpek had me at "it's super metroid, except a fps, and i don't mean like the prime games" and i'm just waiting for a good day to go to the bank to convert all my moondollars into real 'murican money so i can buy it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i look forward to when i eventually have a pc good enough to run doom so i can play prey, until then guess i'll just play all these ports of badass old jrpgs and action games

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'll give you guys a Real Prey Story and you decide if you like this game:

The problem:

2 powerful enemies walking around in a location with lots of goodies that I wanted to loot
Each of these enemies could individually beat me to death in a couple of seconds if I got close, and had a ranged attack to zap me with if they saw me far away. In other words these dudes were super powerful and dangerous, and there were two of them.

But, that loot!

My equipment:

1 nerf gun with 20 nerf darts that do no damage but make a squeaky noise when they hit a target
1 9mm gun with 1 bullet (yes I really was down to my last bullet)
a wrench
a psychic power that let me slow down time for a brief moment and made all my combat actions cost less stamina so that I could swing the wrench without getting too tired
some explosive canisters scattered around the environment that I could pick up and move around
medkits and other crap that isn't really relevant

How I Solved It:

Pick up 4 canisters and put them in a big deadly explosive pile.
Hide nearby and shoot nerf darts at the pile.
The squeaking noise from the darts attracts the two powerful enemies who walk near the pile of explosives.
Shoot the explosive canister with my last bullet.
The big explosion chain reaction heavily damages the enemies and knocks them down.
I run out from my hiding place with my time-slowing psychic power and beat them to death with a wrench before they can stand back up.
Proceed to loot everything!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was watching a video about the new mario game and my cat kept pawing at mario while he was on the screen and then looking at me because he was confused about what he was pawing at.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/technology/personaltech/video-game-raised-148-million-from-fans-now-its-raising-issues.html

star citizen in the new york times. It stinks!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wain, NOW it's raising concerns?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Apparently Uno on Xbox Live had a gay cruising subculture, which makes that old screenshot of a guy's kid getting banned from XBLA for jerking off during Uno have an entirely new dimension.

Also, there are several woodpeckers nesting in the tree outside of my apartment and holy poo poo is the constant cheep-cheep-cheep so adorable :kimchi:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently Uno on Xbox Live had a gay cruising subculture, which makes that old screenshot of a guy's kid getting banned from XBLA for jerking off during Uno have an entirely new dimension.

Also, there are several woodpeckers nesting in the tree outside of my apartment and holy poo poo is the constant cheep-cheep-cheep so adorable :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVN52GGEPAs

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Guy Mann posted:

This music is sexy as loving hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ic71xK0eaQ

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guy Mann posted:

Author should've chosen the pen name either Draw Four or Wild Card and I am disappointed they did not.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the only shinji mikami action game i haven't liked was pn03 and i don't think anyone making pn03 liked pn03, so i'm excited to check it out

i wish they'd managed to finish development for it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Guy Mann posted:

whoa this explains why my bro liked uno on xbox live so much

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

Jesus, you could write a whole chapter on this alone in a book about societal repression of sexual urges.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, did you guys not know about xbox uno's gay chat roulette aspect?

I guess I only knew about it by chance.

That's a real blast from the past.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Author should've chosen the pen name either Draw Four or Wild Card and I am disappointed they did not.

idk, SIDD WRIGHT kinda owns

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Burnout Paradise had a "Mugshot"/"Smugshot" feature where if you wreck or get wrecked by an opponent's car, it'd snap a picture through your webcam and you'd swap them.
Thankfully I never had a camera for the PS3, but I can imagine a lot of dongpics were flung around in mass car wreckages.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yup

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

spore 2 looking good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

tfw u smoke weed and u think about gravity instead of playin video games

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wow I thought the reviews calling Prey 2017 "Bioshock IN SPACE" meant that it was going to be like...you know...Bioshock. Like it didn't have skills or inventory management or crafting or anything like that so it would play like Bioshock and not System Shock.

Turns out those journalists might actually have some form of mental retardation and that's a little sad I guess, but I'm really enjoying System Shock 3.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 11, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bethesda went with the review quote that referenced a game that their core demographic was likely more familiar with as opposed to the one whose last installment came out when they were toddlers. It's marketing.

The game's narrative trappings, especially the beginning, owe a lot to BioShock, even if the gameplay is very much System Shock

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

tfw u smoke weed and u think about gravity instead of playin video games

And you're either dumb as rocks or just being silly.

So I was one of the people who played and beat Andromeda. It is a frustrating experience to say the least. It's not some Mass Effect 3-level thing where the ending is utterly poo poo but it's incredibly uneven in quality. Some things are great like the broken up world, a bunch of the quests, the graphics in general, a lot of the logs you can read, and certain characters like Drack and (surprisingly) Peebee. The conversations the characters have while you drive around in your space monster truck doing stuff tend to be really well done. The combat abilities are generally really fun to mess with.

On the other hand, lots of the quests are poorly put together, some are written so poorly it can be hard to follow what's going on (the human dude's character quest comes to mind), the animations are famously bizarre and substandard, the difficulty scaling is absolutely hosed up (normal is too easy and becomes a joke by the end, hard is too hard as enemies hit 100% of the time you're not in cover and some do horrid amounts of damage while being able to easily negate your cover by floating around), that well-done party repartee I mentioned earlier gets interrupted all the time, and the multiplayer was for a long time kind of a clusterfuck because one faction in particular has two monsters that can one-hit you and the game would throw tons of them at you in Silver and Gold difficulty. That last thing got fixed though.

Oh yeah, the game also glitches out a lot where characters would talk as if I made different choices than I made, like flags got flipped wrong or something. Hilariously, one silly side quest toward the end of the game that is supposed to end with the player character and their chosen husbando/waifu snuggling on a couch had the player character's model invisible making for an awkward view of the husbando/waifu snuggling nothing.

I still love the original trilogy minus that lovely ending but man was Andromeda rough.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 11, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Wow I thought the reviews calling Prey 2017 "Bioshock IN SPACE" meant that it was going to be like...you know...Bioshock. Like it didn't have skills or inventory management or crafting or anything like that so it would play like Bioshock and not System Shock.

Turns out those journalists might actually have some form of mental retardation and that's a little sad I guess, but I'm really enjoying System Shock 3.

the art style and setting and so on are very obviously based on bioshock and not system shock, hth

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

*while looking around a 1920s-style art deco spaceship* hmm theres nothing here that resembles bioshock, the people who said that must be "retarded"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The game's narrative trappings, especially the beginning, owe a lot to BioShock, even if the gameplay is very much System Shock

I guess? Up until getting to my office I'd say it reminded me more of the start to Half-Life 1 than anything.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress would they compare it to a franchise that started in 1994, and hasn't had an entry since 18 years ago?

It doesn't matter how similar it is, they're going to compare it to something that is more recent in the public memory because it's loving marketing.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Snak posted:

Why the gently caress would they compare it to a franchise that started in 1994, and hasn't had an entry since 18 years ago?

It doesn't matter how similar it is, they're going to compare it to something that is more recent in the public memory because it's loving marketing.

At least pretend reviewers aren't paid marketing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

system shock, known for its giant golden statues and retro throwback architecture

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

At least pretend reviewers aren't paid marketing

Most reviewers reviewing Prey have probably never played System Shock

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The only one that stood out to me was the Guardian review pretty much saying "you wield a wrench, just like Bioshock!" because, you know, that's never been done before.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i didn't feel like getting stuck into prey tonight so i played some nier automata while watching the classic mst3k episodes available on netflix.

i've been bee-lining through the story missions since my friend mentioned to me eventually i open up quick travel by doing so and i just beat the circus robot. how much longer until that happens? also i was disappointed when butchering the friendly circus robots didn't give me a joke ending (i've managed to get the one for yanking the chip out of my head which my friend told me about, and one for blowing up the space station when i went to see what self destruct did)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's a bit further, I think you have to make one more back-and-forth to the Resistance Camp before it unlocks.

As for joke endings, there are at least a couple of them that fit what you just did, so you're on the right track!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh also is there a combo listing style thing anywhere in game or is the "4 hit combo light / 2 hit combo heavy" the extent of it? i spent a bunch of time in the intro level messing around checking out all sorts of combinations of light -> heavy, heavy -> light, dash attack, jump attack, charge attack (the heavy katana had a partial charge attack and a full charge attack even) and all that good stuff but it would've saved me a lot of time if there was an in game listing

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
The combat in Nier is so simplistic its almost offensive. Just roll with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Macarius Wrench posted:

The combat in Nier is so simplistic its almost offensive. Just roll with it.

There's actually a surprising amount of depth to it, especially later on in the game, but it's hard to tell because combos etc are exactly as effective as just hitting light attack and heavy attack over and over separately.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The dodge windows are so super-wide that you can basically get through any fight by just dodging a bunch and holding down pod fire if you really want to, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Welp, Square pressed ABORT on Hitman.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread