Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Zeke got to spend a day with his Dad at ponderosa right after he was voted out. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Max posted:

I think it's something where you just need to be aware of the players around you in your particular season. If you are in a game with a whole lot of gamebots who do want to make big moves (MvGX) then sure, hit the ground running. The vibe I was getting from the first few episodes was that they just wanted to get rid of people that were rocking the boat. A good player would see that and sit back a bit.

Amazingly, no one seems aware of Cirie. She's had zero votes cast against her so far and is the biggest strategic threat remaining. Yet still seems to be under the radar with no one targeting her.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 9, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Getting votes against you isn't an important measure of your threat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Andrea's also a bigger threat than Cirie because she can actually win immunities. Cirie is never safe since she never wins immunities and doesn't seem like the type to find idols.

Which is, of course the kind of thinking that let Sandra win twice. But it's easy to see how one could put Cirie aside for later.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Andrea is a bigger threat right now if in only because she's perceived as a bigger threat. People see her as someone who can control the game and has made big moves. That's kind of an impending problem for Cirie. Yeah, it's good that she doesn't have a target on her but at some point that's just because people don't think you can win. Right now the biggest thing on Cirie's resume is taking out Hali. And that challenge incident probably didn't help.

Cirie is a good enough player and its early enough that it's not too late or anything. But right now Andrea and Sierra generally seem like bigger threats to win solely because of how they seem perceived by the tribe.

That's actually something we've never seen from Cirie in the past. We know she's smart and good, but we've never seen her end game. Seems like there could easily be another timeline where Cirie made two finals but lost to Aras and Parv.

I say this as a huge fan of hers, but I'm genuinely not sure what her path to victory is. I assume shed like to be at the end with Michaela as Micheala seems like a bit of a goat. But beyond that she's definitely gotta take Andrea out and "Officer Sarah" seems like a growing threat.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Binary Logic posted:

Amazingly, no one seems aware of Cirie. She's had zero votes cast against her so far and is the biggest strategic threat remaining. Yet still seems to be under the radar with no one targeting her.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Andrea's also a bigger threat than Cirie because she can actually win immunities. Cirie is never safe since she never wins immunities and doesn't seem like the type to find idols.

Which is, of course the kind of thinking that let Sandra win twice. But it's easy to see how one could put Cirie aside for later.

If the finale were Andrea vs. Cirie, Cirie wins every time because of her social game, strategic genius, and eloquence. She's by far the biggest threat left to win it all and it's insane they haven't voted her out yet. Doubly so because it's her 4th (!) time playing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh, Cirie has no shot of making it past maybe 4th or 5th place, she's way too much of a jury threat to get past that. Like the only people I could see willing to take her to the end are Michaela and maaaaybe Andrea. Brad and Sierra have no problem axing her and Tai and Aubry wouldn't make the same mistake they did with Michele and let a social player sit next to them.

She might sway Sarah, depending on who's left at that stage. But if Sandra couldn't swing Sarah, I'm not sure Cirie can.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

This is a good point that I hadn't thought of until today. How are they letting 2 people who cruised together to a finale get this close again without even glancing at them? Their names are really on nobody's hitlist (except for Tai during the diversion votes). Considering Aubrey's nonexistent edit I'm assuming she doesn't make it but still the fact that 2 people who together RECENTLY made it to a finale are going unchecked is kinda weird. I almost want to see some Genius-esque Supreme Ways moment where they've been working together the whole time to get to yet another finale together where they can take another shot at the victory.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They did talk about their connection a bit when Debbie was around. The idea of not letting the three of them persistent around.

Tai seems like he's seen as a bit of a goat and a stooge of Brad's. Aubry seems like she's had no success in any of her moves so is just riding along with Cirie and Andrea's side. I guess either could shake stuff up, especially Tai with his idols, but I understand why the players aren't worrying about that when there are more pressing immediate concerns. Like, Aubry may someone you have to worry about but she's not more of one than Cirie is.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SweetJahasus posted:

I almost want to see some Genius-esque Supreme Ways moment where they've been working together the whole time to get to yet another finale together where they can take another shot at the victory.

*Ideotape Melodie starts playing.
"Shall we go together... to the finals"
*clasps hands.
* Intro begins.

God I miss the Genius.

This is the threads seasonal reminder to go watch all 4 seasons of the Genius (and season 1 of society game), since it's on a strategic level Survivor can never hope to achieve due to its casting (of smarter people), challenge structure (of vastly more complicated games), and voting mechanics (which don't incentivize playing "below the radar", because getting rid of a strong player requires a direct 1v1 challenge vs that person).

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 9, 2017

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Game seems like it's going to blow wide open after that last tribal. Tai picks up all those votes from his own alliance and he's already skittish and paranoid. Sarah is gonna resent being strong armed by Andrea into moving against Zeke earlier than she wanted. Mikaela is also obviously pissed about that vote. I think next tribal we're finally going to see some idols played.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I kind of think that the whole segment with Cirie struggling at that one challenge is there to setup a redemption arc where she actually wins a critical immunity when she really needs it. It's either for that or to build up Sarah's social game credentials but it seems very odd for them to highlight it in such an obvious fashion not to call back to it later in some way.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I said Supreme Ways and I meant Extreme Ways.

Such shame.

I'll go watch S1-S4 of The Genius again as punishment and learn from my mistakes.

Hail Sa(ngmin)tan.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I do sometimes wish the show would adopt the Genius model of revealing things, like a player pulling out an idol and then rewinding to that moment. I know it's a formula at this point but it usually leaves no room for surprise.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Max posted:

I do sometimes wish the show would adopt the Genius model of revealing things, like a player pulling out an idol and then rewinding to that moment. I know it's a formula at this point but it usually leaves no room for surprise.

They could probably introduce something like that by way of a theme, if they really wanted to.
Survivor: Blindsides!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Max posted:

Cold open: "I wanna give individual immunity to Natalie"/"Thirteenth person voted out and the sixth member of our jury: Erik"

Flash to: *72 hours earlier*

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

Cold open: "I wanna give individual immunity to Natalie"/"Thirteenth person voted out and the sixth member of our jury: Erik"

Flash to: *72 hours earlier*

That's pretty much the perfect use of it, yup.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Number19 posted:

I kind of think that the whole segment with Cirie struggling at that one challenge is there to setup a redemption arc where she actually wins a critical immunity when she really needs it. It's either for that or to build up Sarah's social game credentials but it seems very odd for them to highlight it in such an obvious fashion not to call back to it later in some way.

Yea, I think it's a weird thing to show a 4th time player struggling but managing to complete a challenge without their being some sort of redemption from it later on. Either with an immunity or her making it to the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think people read too much into the edit with stuff like this. Its possible it will forshadow something but its just as likely if not more that its just a thing that happened and they included it because (a) it happened in a challenge, (b) it was the sort of character moment the show likes, and (c) it happened at a key game point where Michaela missed the power and Sarah saw it.

I suppose they could have just edited out Cirie's struggles and the tribe allying behind her and shown the challenge end and Sarah finding the prize. But that seems like you'd be tossing a "powerful" character moment Jeff went out of his way to set up with absolutely no knowledge of how the game would play out. Why would they do that?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, I think it's a weird thing to show a 4th time player struggling but managing to complete a challenge without their being some sort of redemption from it later on. Either with an immunity or her making it to the end.

Reminds me of David, who almost made it but not quite.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's like how the summit last season was completely pointless. Sometimes things are just there. Remember when Survivor actually had funny moments just because?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Zesty posted:

Cochran says the Fake Idol Kit that Debbie could have chosen had enough material to make at least several fake idols.
Did Debbie use her extra vote advantage in the end? I cannot recall.

Dugong posted:

So the first episode of Survivor Nz was weird. Most of the cast is entertaining but the the budget and production is dragging it down. The first challenge was the 'get poo poo off a boat' staple but it was from a rowboat on a beach. The soundtrack is really grating and I think it's going to have the same annoying production twist decisions that Oz had.

Basically I'll probably end up binging it when I'm hungover at some point.
A few years ago I worked with the first boot. They were super super cool + we bonded over survivor hard. In fact, they were the first person outside these forums who I could have nerdy survivor talk with. I haven't watched the first ep yet (will probably need some measures to dampen the cultural cringe) but look forward to seeing them live their dream-albeit briefly and apparently a bit terribly. This is hardly a brag because nz.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lampsacus posted:

Did Debbie use her extra vote advantage in the end? I cannot recall.

She used her extra vote to ensure Ozzy went home. Not needed, but not a terrible move since there were a few people that could have been on the fence.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
Nick from Survivor AUS is hosting the rhap podcasts for NZ survivor once a week, this weeks guest is Phoebe from the same season.

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-know-it-oz-new-zealand-week-1-phoebe-timmins/

Will follow the NZ one for a few more weeks, 16 players is not really enough to start with(especially with the ep 1 twist) but we did get spoiled with 24 in the AUS show.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
After Australian Survivor's 24 player cast, 16 is going to be a breath of fresh air.

That "Reality RHAP-ups" is a mess of a podcast subscription. There's no way I'm subscribing to all of that for one small piece of it which means I'll have to manually download each episode. I think that lessens interest in the product.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 10, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what kind of podcast catcher are you using? i use google play and it allows me to pick and choose which episodes I want to stream with no download necessary

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm not interested in streaming. I go outside sometimes.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think people read too much into the edit with stuff like this. Its possible it will forshadow something but its just as likely if not more that its just a thing that happened and they included it because (a) it happened in a challenge, (b) it was the sort of character moment the show likes, and (c) it happened at a key game point where Michaela missed the power and Sarah saw it.

I suppose they could have just edited out Cirie's struggles and the tribe allying behind her and shown the challenge end and Sarah finding the prize. But that seems like you'd be tossing a "powerful" character moment Jeff went out of his way to set up with absolutely no knowledge of how the game would play out. Why would they do that?

Yeah, I think that Cirie scene was awkward on TV but would have been included on the show no matter what. For whatever reason, it looks like it was a much more emotional moment on location and that just didn't quite translate to TV. IIRC, you can see almost everyone (including the winning team) crying during the challenge itself when Cirie is struggling, before Probst even makes it into a thing.

Zesty posted:

I think there's a separate Australian Survivor podcast feed that has Nick's NZ Survivor podcast on it (and the Australian Survivor Know It Alls that Rob and Stephen did a few months ago). It looks like it's called "Australian Survivor Recap Podcasts" which is strange since it doesn't actually mention RHAP or Know It Alls in the title at all, but there ya go.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

After Australian Survivor's 24 player cast, 16 is going to be a breath of fresh air.

That "Reality RHAP-ups" is a mess of a podcast subscription. There's no way I'm subscribing to all of that for one small piece of it which means I'll have to manually download each episode. I think that lessens interest in the product.

It sounds like a podcast one thing; they only want shows with tons of listeners on Rob's main feed.

I use Player FM and I can subscribe to the feed without downloading anything; it just tells me when there's something new. There's a nice Play Later tab that downloads the stuff I actually want to listen to over wifi.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zesty posted:

What kind of internet access are you working off? It takes like 30 seconds to d/l a podcast so you could easily have the Reality RHAPups on your phone and then only d/l the ep you want just before you leave the house, and it'll be done downloading before you pick up your keys and get out the door..

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
The funniest thing about NZ survivor for me is that the host pronounces Nicaragua like it rhymes with jaguar. Nic-a-ra-gue-ar.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

What kind of internet access are you working off? It takes like 30 seconds to d/l a podcast so you could easily have the Reality RHAPups on your phone and then only d/l the ep you want just before you leave the house, and it'll be done downloading before you pick up your keys and get out the door..

Frictionless: Subscribe to a feed once, the episodes you want download automatically and you listen to them when you want.

Friction: Subscribe to a feed, the episodes you want, along with a bunch of episodes you don't, download automatically, and you listen to those you want, but you also have to manually delete a bunch you don't.

Fiction: Don't subscribe to a feed, but you have to remember to manually download the episodes you want.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zesty posted:

Whoa, look at this goon admitting to going outside.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pinterest Mom posted:

Frictionless: Subscribe to a feed once, the episodes you want download automatically and you listen to them when you want.

Friction: Subscribe to a feed, the episodes you want, along with a bunch of episodes you don't, download automatically, and you listen to those you want, but you also have to manually delete a bunch you don't.

Fiction: Don't subscribe to a feed, but you have to remember to manually download the episodes you want.
I'm not the one who ruled out subscribing or streaming! But all those options are pretty frictionless imo

However, here's the feed the poster wants, Survivor Aus/NZ only https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/australian-survivor-recap/id1146306132?mt=2&ls=1

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mancalamania posted:

Yeah, I think that Cirie scene was awkward on TV but would have been included on the show no matter what. For whatever reason, it looks like it was a much more emotional moment on location and that just didn't quite translate to TV. IIRC, you can see almost everyone (including the winning team) crying during the challenge itself when Cirie is struggling, before Probst even makes it into a thing.

Yeah. I didn't choke up at it or anything but I didn't have an emotional reaction to when they all broke down over pizza and Brad talking about his wife. Its clear the players did though, and this crew seems to be having an extreme emotional reaction to a lot of stuff. And I'm empathetic to the idea that the game wears people down and makes them react in more extreme ways that might look a little silly to us.

And like, Survivor edits might just include that stuff because it happened and was "powerful" in the moment, even if it doesn't forshadow some Brad or Cirie win. That's the big problem I have with edit reading. It assumes everything in the show is done to set up the end and really, a big part of what I love about Survivor is just the totally unrelated character stuff that Survivor loves to showcase.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 10, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
This is an...interesting gambit from Sierra.

"I have a power I have to give away if I'm voted out, and I'll give it to you. Anyway pls keep me"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

It's feels some weird to tell someone about the Legacy Advantage because it'd Incentivize them to vote you out.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xbilkis posted:

This is an...interesting gambit from Sierra.

"I have a power I have to give away if I'm voted out, and I'll give it to you. Anyway pls keep me"

Seriously.

Hmm this person has an advantage no one knows about, and if she is voted out I have it instead. I know! I'll leave her in the game to use her advantage

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

So, wait, I think I missed something. Did Sierra say if she gets voted out she'd give the legacy advantage to Sarah? Or that if she lasts to six she'll use it on Sarah?

Stupid either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm not sure what's more mind boggling, Sierra telling someone in an oppossing alliance that she has a power in the game that will get willed to that person if she's voted out, or Sarah not immediately realising that she should vote her out because of it.

• Locked thread