Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017
I love how boyishly impatient Eve is in the highlight reel, by the way. He's just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Supremezero posted:

Wait, the Generic Japanese Martian design is walking dicks?

Aumanor posted:

Apparently. This is how they looked like waay back in Metal Slug 2:

Let's not sit here and pretend our aliens are any less phalic looking than Japan's

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
This is all just speculation on my part, but I wonder if the freakout of This. Cannot. Continue. was caused by the frustration of the machines' inability to figure humanity out rather than the rampant wholesale slaughter 2B and 9S were delivering. When you think about it, they were doing a bunch of orgy stuff before hand, then switched to killing when the androids interrupted that, which would then be them experimenting with both the love and violence they saw from humanity, and still had no clue. So in desperation they popped out the most human like machines they could and turned the task over to them.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Edvarius posted:

This is all just speculation on my part, but I wonder if the freakout of This. Cannot. Continue. was caused by the frustration of the machines' inability to figure humanity out rather than the rampant wholesale slaughter 2B and 9S were delivering. When you think about it, they were doing a bunch of orgy stuff before hand, then switched to killing when the androids interrupted that, which would then be them experimenting with both the love and violence they saw from humanity, and still had no clue. So in desperation they popped out the most human like machines they could and turned the task over to them.

Creating problems and then passing them along to the next generation? Well, at least they are on the right track.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, after all this buildup, humanity is definitely gone. I'd actually be disappointed to find out they were still around at this point.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah, after all this buildup, humanity is definitely gone. I'd actually be disappointed to find out they were still around at this point.
The twist is that there is one lone survivor of humanity, and unfortunately it is a batshit insane Steve Burnside knock off.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's gonna be Keith Richards on the moon. A dried husk, tethered to his phylactery, but still human.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Aumanor posted:

Apparently. This is how they looked like waay back in Metal Slug 2:

Probably based on War of the Worlds martians. A lot of stuff people consider Japanese weirdness is actually old American weirdness we've left behind.

Like "people falling over after someone says something stupid" is a really old trope in Western newspaper strips that only Bazooka Joe ever uses anymore, but it's still in anime and manga.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just to clarify, Adam is the long-haired one and Eve is the short-haired one, correct?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Junpei posted:

Just to clarify, Adam is the long-haired one and Eve is the short-haired one, correct?

Yeah, Adam is the one with long hair and Eve is the one with short hair and the arm tatoo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eve's the one that came out when we stabbed Adam in the ribs.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Synthbuttrange posted:

Eve's the one that came out when we stabbed Adam in the ribs.

They both had long hair at that point. But yeah Eve has the short hair and the arm tattoo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

From the main thread:

Just what are the operators doing with all that research data?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

From the main thread:

Apparently, making a Human Culture wiki, with all the accuracy and stunning requirements that entails.

The edit wars are legendary in their speed and ferocity.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

From the main thread:

The same thing we do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wiped out by your own killer machines for being boring.

What a stunningly human-like fate.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Humans are clearly superior to aliens, for we have Anime on our side.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Those are some lovely alien ships. Even after they told me that those are ships, I kept staring at screenshots thinking "ok, are they all that small? What the gently caress is this?"

lol @ the machines going "but how can kill also love"

EDIT: Jack and Jill there are really smug about everything the machines have done for someone who weren't around when Pvt. Stubby laid down his life to kill their alien overlords. I see the machines have discovered stolen valor already!

E2: The K-Pop band will learn about BDSM harnesses and try to infiltrate the resuplly ships, won't they?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 11, 2017

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
See, now I'm curious about which machines are on board for plan "learn about human capacity for violence and love towards other humans by opening them up and looking at their organs" cause that did not seem like the train of thought that led to the robo birthing of Adam.
Does this mean all the human pantomime and whatnot has been experimental to try and get into the human mindset and not that some of them just actually wanted to stop fighting and do their own society thing? The latter is what I thought sparked Adam's creation, but Adam and Eve clearly have different motivations.
It just changes the feeling of "this cannot continue" when it apparently means "Ugh, this is getting us nowhere closer to actually getting some human bodies and these guys are wrecking the testing grounds! Plan B, robo-people!"

The Dark Id posted:

Or and I suppose don’t die before this conversation ends

They're all dead long dead centuries before the game began

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 11, 2017

necroid
May 14, 2009

sorry for the shitaku link, I saw an interesting story involving the game:

quote:

Many fans were happy to hear about Kaldaien’s “FAR mod,” a patch that fixes Nier: Automata’s technical issues on PC. Some people who downloaded the mod were surprised to find that it checks whether or not you’ve pirated the game, and the modder’s decision to include such a feature has proven controversial.

When you install FAR, it warns you that “use of this software is granted on the condition that any products being modified have been licensed to you under the terms and conditions set forth by their respective copyright holders.” If you move forward and click through the new user agreement, on the main settings screen, you can see that FAR checks if you have a legitimate copy of the game. If you do, it checks off a condition titled “I am not a pirate,” as you can see below. Screenshot courtesy of Kotaku’s Luke Plunkett.

quote:

On neoGAF, Kaldaien explains that “Nothing malicious happens if you fail this check, you’re just presented with an infinite license screen that you can click Accept on but since you don’t respect licenses the license doesn’t respect your click.” In short, you can’t use the official mod if you pirate the game.

very appropriate I think

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

JcDent posted:

Those are some lovely alien ships. Even after they told me that those are ships, I kept staring at screenshots thinking "ok, are they all that small? What the gently caress is this?"
Yeah, this is what I meant.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well it further establishes that Aliens are dumbasses

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The alien spaceship thing is bad because the game does a slow visual reveal of them and has the characters go "omg, the spaceships!" while the player is just sitting there, squinting at the screen, going "uh... i guess? If you say so"

It's not optimal.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The anticlimax is likely intentional.

mazloum
Mar 29, 2016

JcDent posted:

EDIT: Jack and Jill there are really smug about everything the machines have done for someone who weren't around when Pvt. Stubby laid down his life to kill their alien overlords. I see the machines have discovered stolen valor already!

I just imagined those lil guys waving their arms frantically in front of large alien spaceships. Priceless. RIP Stubbos.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Asimo posted:

The anticlimax is likely intentional.

I agree.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The aliens are probably the most transparent message about real life humanity in the game.

e:
Famitsu readers voted NieR: Automata as the third best action game of all time in a recent poll.

... It was beaten by Breath of the Wild and the very first Mario game.

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/160517430474

(It's not even the third best PG Action game honestly, even though everything surrounding the gameplay is probably PG's best)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 11, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The aliens are probably the most transparent message about real life humanity in the game.

e:
Famitsu readers voted NieR: Automata as the third best action game of all time in a recent poll.

... It was beaten by Breath of the Wild and the very first Mario game.

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/160517430474

(It's not even the third best PG Action game honestly, even though everything surrounding the gameplay is probably PG's best)

you can tell it's a poorly-sampled poll by the fact OOT came in 16th :colbert:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

JcDent posted:

I'm not sure about that. It's possible that Adam and Eve are reincarnations of entities that were around back then but in a different form. Or maybe they're very specialized machines that only get brought out in really dire circumstances.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not sure about that. It's possible that Adam and Eve are reincarnations of entities that were around back then but in a different form. Or maybe they're very specialized machines that only get brought out in really dire circumstances.

Or maybe they're smug assholes that need a swirlie.

Skylight
Nov 25, 2011

DIE TO THE DEATH!
SENTANCE TO DEATH!
GREAT EQUALIZER IS THE DEATH!

These two possibilities are not exclusive. Both can be true.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well poo poo, I caught up to the end of the thread. Guess I'll have to read it as it comes out like the rest of you savages!

also dark id is the best

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dog Kisser posted:

Well poo poo, I caught up to the end of the thread. Guess I'll have to read it as it comes out like the rest of you savages!

also dark id is the best

Get the game. It's legit good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is nothing quite like being a bit further on this crazy ride of a game, allowing you to know and look forward to the crazy bits that will come up whilst also knowing that even more insanity awaits you on your personal file.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

necroid posted:

sorry for the shitaku link, I saw an interesting story involving the game:

Ahaha, that's great.
I think if you're at the point where you're downloading mods to tweak the technical issues, you're way past having the classic piracy excuse of "I'm just playing it to see if I like it first!"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Morbi posted:

Ahaha, that's great.
I think if you're at the point where you're downloading mods to tweak the technical issues, you're way past having the classic piracy excuse of "I'm just playing it to see if I like it first!"

The original thing FAR was created to fix was pretty game-breaking, as I recall, so not quite. They just tacked on all of the other fixes with it too.

I personally wouldn't really know, as I never had any of the problems. I was in the Graphics Card sweet spot somehow.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 11, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I had no problems with actually running the game stock. I play on a GTX 670, 16 GB RAM, and an i5-3570k, 1080p windowed (moderate graphics settings) with a program that positions the game window perfectly in my monitor.

I ran into a few crashes later on in the game, but I heard there is a memory leak, and I'm guessing that's what was happening (given it would start chugging a bit before crashing).

Oh, now that we have fast travel, for those of you who are just playing? SAVE BEFORE FAST TRAVELING. YOU LOSE ABSOLUTELY NO TIME DOING SO.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 11, 2017

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

JcDent posted:

Exactly my reaction. You're telling me multiple motherships fit inside what looks like a large courtyard?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

FishOnAPiano posted:

Exactly my reaction. You're telling me multiple motherships fit inside what looks like a large courtyard?

Maybe it's Yoko Taro's Motherships, as in ships carved out of alien mothers. They come to some planet and birth an invasion of dick aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

FishOnAPiano posted:

It's possible that the room they're looking into is some kind of ludicrously big hangar, but the frosted glass and camera angle screw up the sense of scale. :shrug:

• Locked thread