Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

force-quitting apps on ios hurts battery life

android too. force-quitting is stupid.

my concern was switching between apps, not killing them. like i'm posting in a thread and want to get a tweet so i switch to twitter and copy it and switch back to awful.apk and paste.

there's an obvious persistent button for that on android. ios hides it and until i learned about it here i was unaware of the double-tap-home thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

THC posted:

whether or not you micromanage and force quit your apps has no impact on this afaik

yeah i didn't really have a point

if you don't have enough memory on the device though you're gonna come back to a blank page/spinning wheel which kind of makes memory management uh, not relevant cuz you can't manage what isn't there and neither can ios

what i'm saying is i wish my old ipad had more memory and i'm seriously considering getting that yuge one instead of the much better pro because it has twice the memory and paying 1k earth dollars for something with 4GB seems dumb

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I didn't know the 12.9" had more ram. I guess wait for the reasonable size to get updated

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
that is the reasonable and patient thing to do, yes

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

normal users don't need to know how to double-tap home to get to the program switcher on your apple device because on ios multitasking works to the point where you don't need to forcequit apps or risk one of them mysteriously consuming your battery, unlike on android devices.

that's not actually a thing you do on android either though??

burning swine
May 26, 2004

anthonypants posted:

normal users don't need to know how to double-tap home to get to the program switcher on your apple device because on ios multitasking works to the point where you don't need to forcequit apps or risk one of them mysteriously consuming your battery, unlike on android devices. i know that to an android user that might seem like an impossibility but it's the truth

lol

they still need to app switcher to engage in multitasking at all, going all the way back to the home screen is ridiculous

back to the 'opera' comparison: mouse gestures are great and cool in a browser, but a user who has never even heard of them can still sit down and use the browser all day without issue. the fact that obscure, unintuitive gestures are the only way to get things done on ios is the problem

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol

they still need to app switcher to engage in multitasking at all, going all the way back to the home screen is ridiculous

back to the 'opera' comparison: mouse gestures are great and cool in a browser, but a user who has never even heard of them can still sit down and use the browser all day without issue. the fact that obscure, unintuitive gestures are the only way to get things done on ios is the problem

in what situation are they the only way?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one button interfaces are great, assuming your product only does one thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

to an android user when you leave a program to go to the home screen and reopen it, it completely restarts the program because android has no task switching capabilities. that's why they're so confused

burning swine
May 26, 2004

carry on then posted:

swiping to go back, for example

or to use the example i was already using, double-tapping the home button to multitask

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you don't need to "multitask", you need to switch applications and I've seen like 80 year old grammas using the ios switcher

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

but what if i'm a power user dual-wielding liquid-metal penis extensions? what then, smart guy?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the way that people complain about there not being a dedicated back button in ios makes me think that they're approaching phones as if everything is being run in a web browser.

applications can have their own interface. if there needs to be a back button there'll be a back button, and if there needs to be one and it's not ther then it's a bad application.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

qirex posted:

you don't need to "multitask", you need to switch applications and I've seen like 80 year old grammas using the ios switcher

seriously who tf wants to "multitask" on their phone and in what way is anroid any better

burning swine
May 26, 2004

no one said android was better

burning swine
May 26, 2004

don't delude yourself into thinking that any of the available options is acceptable

they're all bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

no one said android was better

Android is a lot better than any other mobile OS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Smythe posted:

agreed friend

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

seriously who tf wants to "multitask" on their phone and in what way is anroid any better

autistic anroid users

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THC posted:

the severe autists in DYP who "consume" media and can't go 10 minutes without an anime in front of their face

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

swiping to go back, for example

or to use the example i was already using, double-tapping the home button to multitask

neither of these is a correct answer to what i asked. both have alternatives that are more obvious without being any slower

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/willsmith/status/862475962335731712

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

will smith looks different now that he got an android

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/willsmith/status/862477359932350466

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

then why is google aiming to kill it?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
google: everything works, but it cuts me everytime I use the fingerprint sensor

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
device authenticating on blood samples, working as intended

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BONGHITZ posted:

will smith looks different now that he got an android

yeah will smith had to become a greasy white guy to use an android, shocker

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah will smith had to become a greasy white guy to use an android, shocker

also lose 99.9% of his net worth

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

to an android user when you leave a program to go to the home screen and reopen it, it completely restarts the program because android has no task switching capabilities. that's why they're so confused

It only does that if you use the back key to leave the app since it ends the program. If you leave via the home key it just suspends it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dodoman posted:

It only does that if you use the back key to leave the app since it ends the program. If you leave via the home key it just suspends it.

:psyduck:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Blood for the blood god

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If it uses a permanent notification it will run in the background even if you back out of it

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Blue Train posted:

If it uses a permanent notification it will run in the background even if you back out of it

lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

You're confused that using the explicit close this app method actually stops an app? And using the switch to another task method doesn't?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Dodoman posted:

didnt know this

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

You're confused that using the explicit close this app method actually stops an app? And using the switch to another task method doesn't?

why would you ever close an app?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

why would you ever close an app?

Because you're an idiot, or it's something like a banking app where you want to be very sure you're logged out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

Because you're an idiot, or it's something like a banking app where you want to be very sure you're logged out

manually managing process lifecycles is not how you log out of your banking app. you press the logout button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

manually managing process lifecycles is not how you log out of your banking app. you press the logout button.

We're talking people who aren't paying attention. If they just mash back enough it goes away

• Locked thread