Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jeherrin posted:

UK AI folks: what's the best way to maximise income from scrapping a car? I've got a Ford Mondeo TDI estate sitting doing nothing. Front drivers side spring is snapped, and it needs work done on the control arms, front brakes, and a few other things. I'll be moving to London, and won't need it. It's SORNed, and on private land, so it's costing me nothing.

Never had to do this before - any advice?

For maximum return you need to break it yourself and sell all the parts at a fixed price. Then weigh in what is left.
However - it will take you time to strip it. Then you need to list everything carefully and with decent pictures; and then be prepared for it to take a couple of months for stuff to sell. And there is the effort involved in shipping it.

For ease, check out what they go for on eBay and list it on there or ring round your local scrap merchants to see what they will give you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
2007 Mazda 3 auto with 120k miles. Lady at work has her daughter claiming her car is unlocking the torque converter too much on the highway on slight uphills (louisiana). Anything she should check besides tranny fluid levels, smell, and drive it into the ground and deal with it?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Just to make sure... What's the correct way to install the thermostat on my 1988 Ford F150: spring towards the engine or away from it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Generally, toward the engine.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

kid sinister posted:

Just to make sure... What's the correct way to install the thermostat on my 1988 Ford F150: spring towards the engine or away from it?

Towards.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Generally, toward the engine.

Thanks!

One more question... How do I torque down bolts to spec that I can barely fit a combination wrench on? I have to replace the timing cover gasket and due to design of the cover, the flange for the water pump overhangs some of the bolts to mount the timing cover to the engine, enough that I can't my torque wrench and socket into place. Would I have to use something like a crow foot wrench?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 11, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

kid sinister posted:

Thanks!

One more question... How do I torque down bolts to spec that I can barely fit a combination wrench on? I have to replace the timing cover gasket and due to design of the cover, the flange for the water pump overhangs some of the bolts to mount the timing cover to the engine, enough that I can't my torque wrench and socket into place. Would I have to use something like a crow foot wrench?

By feel? The trick is to strip out a bunch of threads and eventually you'll get the hang of it. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

monsterzero posted:

By feel? The trick is to strip out a bunch of threads and eventually you'll get the hang of it. :v:

God, this. Timing covers don't need much. Learned that one the hard way.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tighten it until it loosens, then back a quarter turn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I want to replace the catalytic converter on my California, pre-ODBII truck (1992 chevy S10 4.3l NA V6).
Rockauto lists two CARB-compliant cats. One of them is a Walker, and they link to this page:
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/state-converter-installation-guidelines

I have some questions:
-Why do they say to pressure-test the coolant system?
-There's some rules that the "installer" has to follow. Do I have to follow those rules if I do the work myself?
-Is this really all there is to it, or are they missing anything important?

I've heard that you have to install an OEM cat, but this is a 1992 vehicle, I doubt there is such a thing any more. If this is too much of a hassle I can get a mechanic to do it, but I already had the exhaust off last July so I know exactly what the work will entail and it's not that bad, and I can get a RockAuto cat for $175 which seems reasonable.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

I have some questions:
-Why do they say to pressure-test the coolant system?

If you've got a blown head gasket and are burning coolant that can trash a cat.

Leperflesh posted:

-There's some rules that the "installer" has to follow. Do I have to follow those rules if I do the work myself?
-Is this really all there is to it, or are they missing anything important?

That would be California emissions laws I believe. Nobody will ship converters to anyone other than licensed shops here.

I don't think that there is a real complicated procedure to install the cat, it's more intended to keep people from slapping a new one on a cat that will just burn it out because of underlying problems and then blame the cat manufacturer. Source: a magnaflow poster at the smog shop I was at this morning.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

monsterzero posted:

Nobody will ship converters to anyone other than licensed shops here.

Ugh really? I haven't actually tried to check out with a CARB cat in my shopping cart yet, I wonder if RockAuto automatically detects this and refuses to sell it to me or something.

e. Oh yeah I suppose the old one is worth something too, it's got platinum in it? I imagine selling a used cat looks super shady no matter how you do it, since they're often stolen. Maybe I'll just have my mechanic do it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Ugh really? I haven't actually tried to check out with a CARB cat in my shopping cart yet, I wonder if RockAuto automatically detects this and refuses to sell it to me or something.

e. Oh yeah I suppose the old one is worth something too, it's got platinum in it? I imagine selling a used cat looks super shady no matter how you do it, since they're often stolen. Maybe I'll just have my mechanic do it.

Do you actually need one? Emissions stops at 20 years in my state. On my 94 4.3 CPI s10, I bought an eBay "high flow" cat in the appropriate pipe diameter and clamped it in. Less than$80 out the door and it passed the sniffer no problem.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All vehicles made after 1974 have to pass CA smog checks every two years in all of the urban/suburban counties. My truck just failed smog. I have to fix a timing issue, but last time (two years ago) with the timing spot on, it only passed carbon emissions by 1 point, so it was already borderline.

It ran rich for a couple of years due to the timing being off, and I'm pretty sure that burned out the cat. The cat itself is probably 20 years old, too.

e, also regardless of having to pass smog, deleting OEM emissions equipment is illegal for cars driving on public roads in CA.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 12, 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even out of state cars? How is that even legal, dang

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It applies to vehicles registered in the state. Which you're probably required to do within 30 days moving to that state.

Edit: Oh, thought you were replying to the post about testing. Isn't removing smog equipment technically a federal thing, so a state would be fine to enforce it?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hmm that makes sense

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
California actually has to have a waiver for the Clean Air Act to enforce its stricter standards.

Trump has threatened to kill it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, would I have to retrofit impossible-to-find emissions equipment to my cars to move and live in California? What about 49-state cars that are otherwise stock?

gently caress ever moving there, if true.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

So, would I have to retrofit impossible-to-find emissions equipment to my cars to move and live in California? What about 49-state cars that are otherwise stock?

YES

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So what? Maybe not drive a lovely pollution machine around.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't think you know what I'm asking, and are instead using an ad hominem attack.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I don't think you know what I'm asking, and are instead using an ad hominem attack.

That’s… not ad hominem.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Attacking me for being a lovely polluter (driving, a verb, "lovely polution machines") instead of answering the question definitely is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think the other poster was taking the California Air Resources Board position on their reply.

That being said, yes, if you drive a car that is legal in one of the other 49 states and want to move to California with it, you will need to make it California compliant.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/buying-out-of-state

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks. Ugh, but I get it.

E:VVVVV
Its a 73, but I've read about some sort of initial inspection that I'd have to do before first registration. And I'm not leaving AZ anytime soon. Just always wondered about CA.

So a 1998 "49 state" car otherwise stock, would have to be retrofitted with a CA cat. That just breaks my brain.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 12, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't your bus old enough to not need any inspection in CA?

I mean, don't go leaving AZ.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So a 1998 "49 state" car otherwise stock, would have to be retrofitted with a CA cat. That just breaks my brain.

I don't think that's the case; new vehicles intended to be sold/driven in California have to meet CA emissions laws, and CA residents have a lot of difficulty bringing a car in from out of state if they're not 50 state or CA legal, but if you move there with a 49 state car, so long as it's not brand new, you only have to meet the 49 state emissions rules.

dmv.ca.gov posted:

If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

I'd still expect them to look it over pretty closely if you did have to smog it, but your bus is a 73 anyway, right? So it'd be exempt from the rear end sniff.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 12, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I don't think that's the case; new vehicles intended to be sold/driven in California have to meet CA emissions laws, and CA residents have a lot of difficulty bringing a car in from out of state if they're not 50 state or CA legal, but if you move there with a 49 state car, so long as it's not brand new, you only have to meet the 49 state emissions rules.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

I'd still expect them to look it over pretty closely if you did have to smog it, but your bus is a 73 anyway, right? So it'd be exempt from the rear end sniff.

All of this is true. I don't even think a 74 or earlier would get inspected when registering it from out of state. I think they are totally emissions exempt (though there's probably a special fee added to your registration, because California). If anything the DMV wanted to see anything it would probably be a visual check of the VIN and maybe lights. I haven't brought anything into the state before, but have re-registered vehicles that had been unregistered so long the DMV had no records.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So what does that do for when a cop wants to look your car over on the street?

CA laws are weird and suck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah you do not need to make a 49-state car "compliant" unless it's brand new. But, if your 49-state car came with a catalytic converter, and you have deleted it, you will fail your smog check and be unable to register the car until you restore it to OEM condition. That doesn't exclude aftermarket cats, but you have to get a OEM-equivalent cat (CA CARB-compliant for 5-state cars), and, per my original question, apparently there are regs about documenting the source, install, and warranty on it. This also goes for other emissions equipment, e.g., you can't delete the evap cannister, EGR, etc. Trying to bring in and register car that's had an engine swap to something non-OEM is probably much harder? I'm not sure.

I have not known cops to perform roadside inspections for CARB compliance. That's really not their job or interest, nor are they particularly qualified. I imagine a CHP officer pulling over a heavily riced out car for blatant speeding might take a quick look to see that it's got a straight pipe and tack that on to the charges, but I'm just speculating.

CA, and in particular the Los Angeles basin, used to have the worst smog in the country. CA's CARB emissions rules were instrumental to cleaning up the horrible pollution, which was so bad that people with asthma were dying prematurely due to exposure to it. And, by forcing major automakers to comply to stricter than federal automaker rules (because the alternative is not selling their cars to roughly a fifth of the US market), the rest of the country has been dragged along into a cleaner environment as a side-effect. In many ways CA has modeled how to create regulations that the automakers can actually comply with despite their furious protests and foot-dragging.

So CARB is, on balance, a good thing.

However, it's also idiotic in many respects, because these are after all rules passed by politicians, not gearheads. It is particularly onerous and sometimes simply not possible to do engine swaps on 1974+ cars, even when the new engine would pollute less. The requirement to basically copy the OEM emissions equipment actually prevents a home hobbyist from improving the emissions equipment on a vehicle. That's perverse, but it stems from a desire to not force inspection stations to make comparative evaluations of emissions... today, they can look at the (legally required) emissions system diagram that is inside the hood of a CARB-compliant car, and verify that the equipment so described is present; and then run a sniffer, read the sensor data, pressure test the gas tank, etc. and verify that the equipment is functioning correctly. And then charge $70 for this 10 minutes of work.

I'm not enjoying having to jump through hoops just to change my goddamn catalytic converter... but on balance, I'm really glad my environment isn't horribly polluted, my family members with athsma aren't seeing their lives shortened, and the carmakers were shown to be a pack of big fat liars when they all claimed there just wasn't any possible way they could clean up their cars, abloo bloo bloo.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Godholio posted:

So what does that do for when a cop wants to look your car over on the street?
It means you should stop street racing.

Seriously though, I've never heard of cops check engines unless they suspected you were racing.

If you're driving a stock 49state car you would be fine. If it looked like a PepBoys barfed in there maybe they would start looking for CARB numbers on parts. [//quote]

Godholio posted:

CA laws are weird and suck.

Sometimes I think the laws overbearing and illogical, like who cares what engine is in there if my tailpipe numbers are equal or better than my model year standard, but at the same time I'm glad our air quality is better than Mexico City or Shanghai.

Edit:
I'm yr tl;dr. :hfive:

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 12, 2017

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I just scrapped my oe cat, and they gave me $82.00 lmao. 94 4.3L.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's not called "precious" metal for no reason :D

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

always be closing posted:

I just scrapped my oe cat, and they gave me $82.00 lmao. 94 4.3L.

Nothing like coming out ahead! Nice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My parents often leave their (unknown-year) Ford Escape in my driveway when they travel, as I'm closer to the airport than they are. They rarely use the vehicle these days, aside from driving to the airport or moving bulky/messy stuff. I noticed that their next scheduled oil change is in 4000 miles or 2 years ago. I've never paid that much attention to the oil change dates, but 2 years seems a long time to go without, even if they are using fully-synthetic oil (as I assume they are). How big of a problem is this? Should I just go ahead and get their oil changed for them?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CARB was created by Ronald Reagan.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

My grandpa passed away recently and left seven cars in various states of repair/non-op/registration/back fees, and I'm helping my mom get them all up to date so we can sell them. I'm assuming I can sign the pinks over to the buyer(s) by just slapping a signature on there? I really can't think of any reason that's not totally fine, but this is in California. As you might imagine, the absolute last thing I want to do is deal with death certificates/dmv inheritance transfers or whatever the gently caress to get them all in my name first.

(Adiabatic if this question is too problematic/lawbreaky please delete it/let me know and I'll edit it. Under the circumstances I figured it's okay).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

My grandpa passed away recently and left seven cars in various states of repair/non-op/registration/back fees

I'm sorry for your loss but your grandpa could be like half the people in this subforum so I hope they're all ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Is there tire guide that shows relative road noise vs wear vs grip for different tires?

When I search for tire recommendations, it's all forum suggestions.
Tires also seem to vary in price a ton but other than the different seasonal and performance options, I can't tell why one is better than the other.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 13, 2017