Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Animation bits were cool, but I guess I'm the only on who was terribly bored by the entire opening and most of the ep? Sleazy Jewish producer in the 70's uses drugs and a hot chick to scam a naive creative person. Okay? It's just like the most obvious and straight forward cliche story possible with the setups that are there. And while it is fun to see Mac in other stuff, I found it very jarring that he's LITERALLY Ronald MacDonald from Always Sunny as a LA cop. I don't recall Howerton literally playing Dennis Reynolds dropped into a Fargo story.

This has to be my least favorite episode out of the entire Fargo series so far and the only one I really felt skipping through was warranted because nothing was happening that hasn't already been seen a million times, except for the animation bits and little things here and there. Man alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Justin Credible posted:

Animation bits were cool, but I guess I'm the only on who was terribly bored by the entire opening and most of the ep? Sleazy Jewish producer in the 70's uses drugs and a hot chick to scam a naive creative person. Okay? It's just like the most obvious and straight forward cliche story possible with the setups that are there. And while it is fun to see Mac in other stuff, I found it very jarring that he's LITERALLY Ronald MacDonald from Always Sunny as a LA cop. I don't recall Howerton literally playing Dennis Reynolds dropped into a Fargo story.

This has to be my least favorite episode out of the entire Fargo series so far and the only one I really felt skipping through was warranted because nothing was happening that hasn't already been seen a million times, except for the animation bits and little things here and there. Man alive.

Aw geeze

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
While several elements of the episode were a little jarring and convoluted, I have enough faith in Noah Hawley to reserve full judgement until the season has run it's course.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a huge Always Sunny fan but tbh I wasn't too into Rob's cameo here. It honestly felt less like his fault and more like a directorial blunder, like he wasn't really used correctly. Sometimes he would deliver a line in a way that made you feel like he was lovable but dumb, and sometimes he'd deliver a line that made you feel like he was a scumbag, and for some reason the whiplash between the two takes edited together seemed really apparent to me. Could have also been poor casting maybe...?

But I actually really liked the producer character - or to be more precise, I hated him but I enjoyed the actor's performance. He was mostly congenial, sounding intelligent and optimistic, but near the end when he reveals that he's actually a slimy pimp who's not above laying his hands on someone and gruffly intimidating him after robbing him blind, I just got so skeeved out. What a gross character and an excellent portrayal.

"There's two kinds of people in the world. YOUR job is to cough up the cheddar, and SCREW!" Ugh, yuck...love it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Justin Credible posted:

I don't recall Howerton literally playing Dennis Reynolds dropped into a Fargo story.

You remember wrong then because that is totally what he was.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

See also: Key and Peele as Detectives Key and Peele

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

precision posted:

You remember wrong then because that is totally what he was.

He was basically just Brad Pitt's character from Burn After Reading. You know the actor does not equal the character, right? I'm saying Mac was playing Mac from Always Sunny, not 'this is the same guy so my brain makes the same connection' that your brain is seeming to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...Mac wasn't literally playing Mac, he was playing a guy with the same mannerisms and attitude.

And that's what I meant with Howerton, his character had the same mannerisms and attitude as Dennis.

Unless I missed something and the cop we saw literally said "My name is Mac and I'm from Philly"?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I was more referring to how the character is written as well as how it was played. Of course Howerton has some Dennisims because he's not a 'professional actor' because like all the success is coming off one show and character. In the first season his character, again, pretty much just came off as Mr. Pitt from BAR, a kind of dopey personal trainer who tries to dabble in shady stuff and get smoked.

Macop is written as Ronny MickeyD's and played exactly the same. If someone else was playing that character I would still be getting Mac vibes just because of how it's written and (I assume) directed. Which is why it came off as really jarring, if amusing as a cameo, where Glenn in S1 felt more like someone recognizable playing a character with a role in the story and not a cameo, even if he's a little one-note.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can see people's issues with cliches, but something that's always been the basis of this show (and Coen films, and Hawley's other stuff) is taking broad tropes and retelling them in new configurations (like with biblical elements, UFOs, or maybe quantum physics in this one). There's always going to be that cliche element in pulp crime drama. That's the genre.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
If Ennis died when he was 82 why does he look to be in his twenties 35 years ago

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

8 Ball posted:

If Ennis died when he was 82 why does he look to be in his twenties 35 years ago

quantum physics duh

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

timp posted:

It honestly felt less like his fault and more like a directorial blunder, like he wasn't really used correctly. Sometimes he would deliver a line in a way that made you feel like he was lovable but dumb, and sometimes he'd deliver a line that made you feel like he was a scumbag

That's just you. He was 100% douchebag to me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

That's just you. He was 100% douchebag to me.

"I'll take two beers." [TURNS] "Do you want two beers?" loving killed me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Caught up on the first three episodes, and I just want to make sure I have the Stussy brothers plot points correct (I can get a little distracted/lost because FX's CC just stops at some points during episodes; and I usually need to keep it on for shows like this):

After their father died, they split the assets with Ray taking the car, and Emmit taking the vintage stamps.

Emmit parlayed the stamps' value into capitol for starting his parking lot empire, taking a loan from Vargas.

Emmit still has that one single vintage stamp left, and Ray feels he's owed it, since the car has devalued to the point of utter worthlessness and while his brother has an empire and a nice house, he feels crapped on and like he didn't get his fair share; feels he's owed the final vintage stamp.

Meanwhile, Vargas has come to collect on the loan from Emmit in the way he sees fit.

Do I have everything right? I know I have the other plot lines straight, but in the past few season there was always one plotline I always seemed to get a little twisted up about, so I want to make sure I have this one all straight from the start

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
The loan from Vargas was very recent, not at the start of his business.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I really loved episode 3. The trip to LA was marked by a totally different color palette, vibrant and oversaturated compared to the Frozen North. Since the Stussy murder is a callback to The Big Lebowski's case of mistaken identity, it felt appropriate to visit the setting of that film with a little Barton Fink thrown in as well. I adored the animated segments. I love when Noah Hawley takes creative risks like that.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

Meanwhile, Vargas has come to collect on the loan from Emmit in the way he sees fit.

Vargas isn't collecting on the loan, the loan was a deliberate scheme to force Emmit to be beholden to him so he could move in and take over. An "investment".

But yeah I think that's otherwise right.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The one thing I'd add is that I'm fairly certain the stamps we're promised to Ray, but Emmit convinced him to make the trade.

Or at least that's how Ray tells it.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

precision posted:

"I'll take two beers." [TURNS] "Do you want two beers?" loving killed me.
Thank you for reminding me, that line redeemed this boring episode a little bit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Everyone on their phones is definitely a deliberate theme. Interested to see where or if it ties in to whatever else weird they're throwing out there.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ray Wise is definitely in with Vargas. The need for constant air travel, plus he got nervous when Gloria said she was in law enforcement until she clarified it was just small town Minnesota, and not FBI.

I liked the hockey team named the Gophers showing up last episode, good call back to the movie.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

8 Ball posted:

As far as they know he was 82.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Ray Wise is definitely in with Vargas. The need for constant air travel, plus he got nervous when Gloria said she was in law enforcement until she clarified it was just small town Minnesota, and not FBI.

I liked the hockey team named the Gophers showing up last episode, good call back to the movie.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

As far as they know he was 82.

Perhaps he came into contact with the UFO in Sioux Falls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

The one thing I'd add is that I'm fairly certain the stamps we're promised to Ray, but Emmit convinced him to make the trade.

Or at least that's how Ray tells it.

That's how they both told it. Emmit says something like "You begged me to let you take the car".

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

El Jeffe posted:

Vargas isn't collecting on the loan, the loan was a deliberate scheme to force Emmit to be beholden to him so he could move in and take over. An "investment".

But yeah I think that's otherwise right.

Thanks for the correction.

During season 2 of Fargo, I got so goddamn turned around and lost on a lot of what was going on with the Gerhardts vs the Kansas City mob, so I figured, I might as well ask in the thread now before I'm at episode eight and have no clue what's happening.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mary had a little clam posted:

I realize this may have been the point, but the robot animation sequences made me... incredibly sad. That final shot of it... holy poo poo, man. Wrecked me.

I can help!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo I haven't heard Peter and the Wolf since I was a kid

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dude what the gently caress

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is the Fargoest possible intro.

Also welcome back Billy Bob.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

That explains the teeth.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't heard Peter and the Wolf since I was a kid

I'll spoiler tag it in case it has significance: The words of the narration seems to be from the David Bowie-narrated version of Peter and the Wolf.

Of course, it could just because someone's a fan.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's a lot of references to Russia in this season huh

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Don't bang the cattle.

and

You're in a shitstorm and we're the ones holding the umbrella. Are you going to take it.

Ray's whole world is crashing down.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Looked like the room Vargas took over had servers in it. Are they running some crpyto poo poo in there or something?

Didnt realize how serious he was when he said "new it stuff"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's like poetry, it rhymes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
vargas is going to shut down the internet or the power or something crazy

he doesnt want a cash rich company because of criminal reasons, he wants to make stussy rich as hell in bullshit computer numbers so that when his proposed revolution comes, vargas is the only person with Actual Money.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 11, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can we put an end to whistling tea kettles during important moments on tv dramas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can we put an end to whistling tea kettles during important moments on tv dramas?

No

• Locked thread