Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Kjermzs posted:

Speaking of obvious things, is there a reason I can't build a transport fleet even after unlocking battleship? Is it because I chose a pacifist edict?

Under the armies tab when you have a planet selected you embark them, the transports are generated then.

Note that you can't embark Defensive armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You also don't have to pay for upgrades to Transports either which is nice, if you land and re-embark your armies they auto-update to the latest designs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't believe I've seen Wiz post much of anything in a while. I hope he's not discouraged by all the "I wish Stellaris was a completely different game" posts.

Whatever missteps Stellaris has made, the game I played with friends since coming back post-Utopia was pretty damned fun overall and I think they did a really good job shaping up the internal empire development/customization element. I think once the next expansion goes through, the presumably war centric one, we'll be in a really good place.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

You also don't have to pay for upgrades to Transports either which is nice, if you land and re-embark your armies they auto-update to the latest designs.

I'd have to check, but I think they changed it so it doesn't cost anything even if you upgrade them in space now. Which makes sense, considering.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So in light of the horrific bugs that are existing in 1.6, is there any sort of mod fix that deal with them at least until the hotfix is out (in a few days)? Failing that is it simply better to revert back to 1.51 for now considering that issues?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly, as much as I love them as a company, playing any Paradox game at version x.y.0 is a risky business.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So the game is 40% off on Steam. In theory I like strategy games, but in practise these days I've become a filthy casual with kids and a commute and I just don't have as much gaming time as I used to :(

Is it worth getting? I think I'm in the market for something with a decent amount of depth, but not to the extent of, say, CK2 or Europa Universalis or anything like that. I quite enjoyed Total War: Warhammer, for what that's worth, though I've only gotten round to finishing a Dwarf and VC campaign (I have an Empire campaign I've basically won but can't really be bothered grinding it out).

Zephro fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 11, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Zephro posted:

So the game is 40% off on Steam. In theory I like strategy games, but in practise these days I've become a filthy casual with kids and a commute and I just don't have as much gaming time as I used to :(

Is it worth getting? I think I'm in the market for something with a decent amount of depth, but not to the extent of, say, Crusader Kings or anything like that. I quite enjoyed Total War: Warhammer, for what that's worth...

that probably makes you more likely to enjoy it, the core 4x mechanics of the game are still pretty weak but there's a lot of cool stuff to check out built on top of it

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

SkySteak posted:

So in light of the horrific bugs that are existing in 1.6, is there any sort of mod fix that deal with them at least until the hotfix is out (in a few days)? Failing that is it simply better to revert back to 1.51 for now considering that issues?

I've not seen anything yet that fixes the empire AI and terraforming and whatnot, but http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512 still does a very good job dealing with the AI's idiotic build priorities for AI empires and sectors if you set it up to be used by all.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure what to tell you if CK2 is your idea of deep strategy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ck2 is like a step above checkers, it just has a lot of flavor to dress it up

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

that probably makes you more likely to enjoy it, the core 4x mechanics of the game are still pretty weak but there's a lot of cool stuff to check out built on top of it
OK, thanks. I'll check it out!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Does the AI even have any sort of terraforming logic? I'm seeing posts suggesting that sectors can terraform now, and being able to terraform inhabited planets now makes that very concerning, especially if there's no checkbox for sectors that says "don't terraform you fuckwit".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just fired up 1.6 for the first time, 1/1 empire ethics shifts have been towards Militarism. :iiam:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm not sure what to tell you if CK2 is your idea of deep strategy

So what's your idea of a strategy game with a lot of depth?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't believe I've seen Wiz post much of anything in a while. I hope he's not discouraged by all the "I wish Stellaris was a completely different game" posts.

He vanishes oddly around the times when they are under major time crunches to release an update or fix major problems, and posts more regularly before a release when the company is in more pr/sales/hype mode (as well as other general forums and social media posting). His primary job is of course making the game and when it's crunch time he doesn't have time for his good friends and top "idea guys" in the SA games subforum. He'll post when he has time and I'm sure he greatly appreciates our reasoned insights and suggestions regarding his and his team's fine game.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
Can someone give me a rough idea of what I'm supposed to be doing in the first 100 years or so?

I got like a perfect start with almost perfect places to colonize and tried to play wide to start with, everything seemed to be going well, and then the scourge showed up and demolished me in like 10 years because I had 50k fleet size. I feel like I must be doing something wrong early.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

So what's your idea of a strategy game with a lot of depth?

Ehhh, he's both right and wrong but he's being an inarticulate rear end by not specifying his actual contention.

CK2 is not a deep game where military strategy and conquest is concerned. He is not wrong about that, and that's what he's implying.

CK2 is a game with an absurd amount of depth in terms of sheer amount of options both to determine how, why, and for what you play a specific playthrough. There are a dizzying array of levers to pull and rules to learn to re-enact your vision of history.

Both of these statements are true.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dude makes video showing how bad the AI is at developing planets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVJpJvdiQOA

I don't even know if they'll ever figure out a better AI for this. The whole tile and bonus and blocker system seems custom designed to be obvious and even tedious to humans but extremely hard for AI to figure out. I still think scrapping it and replacing planet management with something that scales better with empire size and the AI can actually manage would be easier than ever coming up with an AI that can handle the system.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I don't even know if they'll ever figure out a better AI for this. The whole tile and bonus and blocker system seems custom designed to be obvious and even tedious to humans but extremely hard for AI to figure out. I still think scrapping it and replacing planet management with something that scales better with empire size and the AI can actually manage would be easier than ever coming up with an AI that can handle the system.

I think it's a fairly safe assumption that that's exactly what's going to happen two~ expansions down the road.

But it's going to be a fairly large undertaking so, don't expect it to happen until it's their main focus. :shrug:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Baronjutter posted:

Yet this mod does a great job: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baronjutter posted:

The whole tile and bonus and blocker system seems custom designed to be obvious and even tedious to humans but extremely hard for AI to figure out.

It shouldn't be that tough. I play pretty mechanically.

1. Are you out of space for the next pop? If yes, unblock.

2. Are any of (food / energy / minerals) below zero on a monthly basis? If yes, prioritize that tile (and unblock if there's a tile with a bonus).

3. Are any pops on a tile with no building? Build on that tile (priority as per 2, otherwise wherever the pop is).

4. Respect tile bonuses.

5. Ideally always have a biological and a robot pop going as long as the robot pop can be allocated to mineral or food production.

6. If all pops are allocated to buildings, biological and robot pops growing on all planets, then build space poo poo as soon as you have the money. But only ports, not military stations. Priority to energy, food, research modules.

7. Build defense armies if you can zero out unrest as a result.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Midnightghoul posted:

I've not seen anything yet that fixes the empire AI and terraforming and whatnot, but http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512 still does a very good job dealing with the AI's idiotic build priorities for AI empires and sectors if you set it up to be used by all.

That should help at least. My main concern is the two main issues with the galaxy being at peace, too much peace in fact (along with the pacifism drift). I heard that going back to 1.51 doesn't help either because Unbidden portals are invincible or something? Not sure on that last one but if so that really sucks.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I don't like this weighting, why can't it be a 25% for all?

Hell while I'm bitching can we please get some sort of galaxy indicator for terraforming candidates? I found four in my corner of the galaxy during early exploration, I've managed to refind three of them when I actually had the high level tech to make use of them.

Korgan fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 11, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh, I was wondering why my dumb Devouring Swarm was literally surrounded by empires in mutual defensive pacts. I can't devour anyone without going to war with the whole galaxy since nobody will declare war on each other!

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Korgan posted:

I don't like this weighting, why can't it be a 25% for all?

Hell, why can't you choose which one you want?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

Hell, why can't you choose which one you want?

if you could, it wouldn't be much of a choice. everyone would just pick shields/power.

its a really dumb change.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It should really be changed to only give the power upgrade, that's the only one you really want.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Well, Shields are always great if you're not going the Psionic Ascension route (even then, I have never seen the Psi Shields in two full Ascension playthroughs), and the Encoder is hilarious on late-game corvettes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I just hopped into the shroud in my game, very first roll was shields. Second roll... also shields. :iiam:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

I just hopped into the shroud in my game, very first roll was shields. Second roll... also shields. :iiam:

My very first roll in a Shroud playthrough was Psi Jump, which was great as nobody else was even close to regular Jump Drives.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Roobanguy posted:

if you could, it wouldn't be much of a choice. everyone would just pick shields/power.

its a really dumb change.

So?

I'd fault that on the other two just not being good enough.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

So?

I'd fault that on the other two just not being good enough.

im saying that them changing it at all to not just giving you all of them was dumb.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I do think the rewards for the Fortress were by far the most powerful rewards there were and I understand that they scaled them back. I'd still be salty if I drew the decoder or encoder though.

Edit: Also in single player you tended to end the game with exactly the same load out each time so that isn't optimal.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 11, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Using ecological adaptation to terraform a planet you've already colonised randomises all the tile resources. :sigh:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Just uplift more Cockroaches.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So is there some recommended modpack which adds actually interesting races? Just races, not any extra new game content. The generic bugs the game generates are too bland for my refined taste :L

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kjermzs posted:

Thanks, for some reason this wasn't obvious to me.
The tooltip description isn't very clear that you can hop in just to change civics, makes it sound like it's for redoing the whole thing. First time I did it I knew that was the right screen but still dithered over whether I was about to pointlesslly blow 250 influence by pressing the reform button.

Aethernet posted:

Using ecological adaptation to terraform a planet you've already colonised randomises all the tile resources. :sigh:
Ha. It'd be neat if it did that in an organised manner though (clear overridden resources and replace them with equivalent building-suitable resources).

genericnick posted:

I do think the rewards for the Fortress were by far the most powerful rewards there were and I understand that they scaled them back. I'd still be salty if I drew the decoder or encoder though.

Edit: Also in single player you tended to end the game with exactly the same load out each time so that isn't optimal.
I think the idea behind the weighting is to make rolling the good techs feels like good luck rather than rolling the other feeling like bad luck. The "standard" reward is a chunk of science and an OK tech, but you've a 1/3 chance of rolling a game changer.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 11, 2017

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Ihmemies posted:

So is there some recommended modpack which adds actually interesting races? Just races, not any extra new game content. The generic bugs the game generates are too bland for my refined taste :L

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902254973&searchtext=familiar+faces
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902255007&searchtext=familiar+faces

Goon mods. Only prerequisites are a few cosmetic mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goosebox
May 11, 2015
Stellaris is the Humble Bundle early access game. Finally, it's happening.

• Locked thread