Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seminal Flu posted:

Take that righteous attitude and gently caress right off.

And just wait until their "$35k car" hits the market that you can't touch for under $60k, and their production hits a solid 1/3 of what they've promised.

No, I drat well wont. You are the one who is posting complete crap and you got called out for it. So again I will put it bluntly - learn how to read a real P/L before sprouting the same poo poo short sellers have been trying to pedal.

The absolute worse anyone can say about Tesla's promises is that they deliver 1- 3 years later than they think they can. So yes actually, there is every likelihood they will deliver what they have said they will given their track record and they have a very viable business in the middle of a huge expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No, I drat well wont. You are the one who is posting complete crap and you got called out for it. So again I will put it bluntly - learn how to read a real P/L before sprouting the same poo poo short sellers have been trying to pedal.

The absolute worse anyone can say about Tesla's promises is that they deliver 1- 3 years later than they think they can. So yes actually, there is every likelihood they will deliver what they have said they will given their track record and they have a very viable business in the middle of a huge expansion.

You've said a lot of really stupid things over the years, and I've never taken it to a personal name-calling level. I thought you were better than that.

I guess I was wrong.

:fuckoff:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Double post for solar chat, I toured a guy's private car collection recently, he got a bunch of standalone solar panels to run his museum and then some, all built at great expense to cat 5 hurricane standards (because space coast). He produces like 15k excess kWh/mo, so he should be sitting pretty, right?

Turns out he didn't read the fine print, and he gets charged based on "peak demand". And he doesn't have any kind of battery bank. So basically even if he's producing a net power excess overall, he gets slapped with a monthly bill based on the power he draws when he turns the a/c on on the morning to prepare for tours, when the sun isn't up yet.

He of course turned this into a rant about getting screwed by pseudo-governmental utility companies and how solar is a con job, but the lesson I took away was "Read your loving contracts before you sign, dummy".

Cool cars, though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Taking VC money and using it for making cool cars and science and rockets are good.

Hyperloops are dumb and bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ExplodingSims posted:

Hyperloops are dumb and bad.

But high speed rail is awesome and we are losing to the Chinese so bad with our infrastructure.

China has more than 10,000 miles of high speed rail. I had a buddy over there a couple months back and he sent me pictures from a train he was on... with the train's in-car display showing almost 300kph. :stare:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seminal Flu posted:

Holy gently caress, Tesla is on crack. They just announced pricing for their solar roof shingles... $21 per square FOOT for a 35% solar panel house, they say that homes could go to 70% solar panel, so the price could nearly double.

The cost for regular, "decent" shingles? Menards has Owens Corning dimensional shingles for $75 per SQUARE. A square is 100 square feet...

That Tesla price is staggeringly expensive and not a viable product.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-tesla-solar-roof-costs-2017-5

There will still be enough slobbering Elon fanbois that this will still be a viable price.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I just did the solar roof estimate on the Tesla site. My house will *lose* $21000 over 30 years with the recommended 50% solar roof.

Seems like a viable plan to me

:colbert:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seminal Flu posted:

But high speed rail is awesome and we are losing to the Chinese so bad with our infrastructure.

China has more than 10,000 miles of high speed rail. I had a buddy over there a couple months back and he sent me pictures from a train he was on... with the train's in-car display showing almost 300kph. :stare:

They tend to run them without the safety features installed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think Japan is probably still the standard to aim for in terms of how rail travel should work.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

I think Japan is probably still the standard to aim for in terms of how rail travel should work.

Route them through major cities and give the rest of the country regular trains?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Route them through major cities and give the rest of the country regular trains?
Have a cute girl with a little trolley walking between carriages selling cold beer.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

Have a cute girl with a little trolley walking between carriages selling cold beer.

Can she have an LCD screen on her rear end to satisfy the technological component?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Turns out he didn't read the fine print, and he gets charged based on "peak demand". And he doesn't have any kind of battery bank. So basically even if he's producing a net power excess overall, he gets slapped with a monthly bill based on the power he draws when he turns the a/c on on the morning to prepare for tours, when the sun isn't up yet.

He of course turned this into a rant about getting screwed by pseudo-governmental utility companies and how solar is a con job, but the lesson I took away was "Read your loving contracts before you sign, dummy".

Cool cars, though.
Peak demand metering and billing, is in everyone's immediate future. It follows how electricity is billed to distribution utilities, and would have been the reality from the start (or much sooner) if the technology had been available.

Also, some of what Tesla is doing is cool and what not, but they are not Amazon.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

They tend to run them without the safety features installed.

That was 6 years ago... It's not like a high speed demolition derby over there...

And that's kinda the point... We're sitting back and mocking and they are putting high speed rail and renewables on the menu.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Elon Musk is a giant turd and I hope his business fails

:cheers:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I actually saw my first Model 3 in the wild today. Looked neat, like if I tried to draw a Mazda 3 sedan from memory.

Welp that's my Tesla story :tipshat:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm mad at the world today so please excuse me (but really, gently caress Musk and the rest of Silicon Valley forever and I look forward to that bubble bursting)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

Now all we gotta do is pack the entire US population into half of Texas.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Texas has enough assholes.

e: welp guess who has a monitor that decided vertical banding is awesome. At least it's my 2nd monitor (~9 year old 20" Dell) instead of my main one (~5 year old 22" Acer).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 11, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Real talk on solar, at least it has trickled down enough that I have a few friends living the sailboat life that have managed to turn a few hundred bucks of Chinese solar junk into viable off shore power sources. And they seem to like it from their blog and social media posts.

I think anyone who makes their own car company is cool but I foresee a lot more deaths with the whole self driving stuff, it's just not there yet. I don't care enough about Elon or anyone else to comment more except I wish I was rich.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BUT WHAT IF WE DRAIN THE SUN

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Maybe then we will know peace

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
itt talk about elon musk as if he raped your mum

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rhyno posted:

I've been burned enough by that fucker over the years to want to burn it back.

EAT poo poo HOT SUN.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

Maybe it does on Planet Dipshit, hopefully Congress makes sure we don't

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCn8ux2gbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCn8ux2gbs

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

itt talk about elon musk as if he raped your mum

nah dude he's been busy loving actual funding to nasa because libertarians think that space poo poo should be a private venture at this point in humanity's existence

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

everdave posted:

Real talk on solar, at least it has trickled down enough that I have a few friends living the sailboat life that have managed to turn a few hundred bucks of Chinese solar junk into viable off shore power sources. And they seem to like it from their blog and social media posts.

I think anyone who makes their own car company is cool but I foresee a lot more deaths with the whole self driving stuff, it's just not there yet. I don't care enough about Elon or anyone else to comment more except I wish I was rich.

Totally, but the secret to making that work is watching every last milliamp and carefully balancing usage, generation and storage. Meanwhile ashore, I go to the fridge every twenty minutes and to bathe in the cold air and wonder why the selection hasn't changed, and my wife runs every light we own from 30 minutes before dusk until we go to bed.

LloydDobler posted:

I've been burned enough by that fucker over the years to want to burn it back.

EAT poo poo HOT SUN.

:same:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nah dude he's been busy loving actual funding to nasa because libertarians think that space poo poo should be a private venture at this point in humanity's existence
Please dude, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress SPACE

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

gently caress SPACE

On the floor.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Buncha dudes getting worked up on the Steve Jobs of the science-tech sector itt.

Unrelated... Mother's Day soon boys. Be ready!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gingerbread House Music posted:

I think that only works really well for Japan because the major cities are pretty much spread across the country in a single line.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

And that's kinda the point... We're sitting back and mocking and they are putting high speed rail and renewables on the menu.

Right, but if a highspeed train crashes in China and your Uncle is killed you will probably get drunk and smoke a cigarette and go to work the next morning (at the highspeed-train railswitch factory). If a highspeed train crashes in the US and your Uncle is killed, you will immediately retain a lawyer(s), create a class-action lawsuit and sue any corporate entity who ever touched that train into oblivion.

The Industrial Revolution only happened because lawsuits weren't A Thing at the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

On the floor.

more like ON THE CEILING CUZ NO GRAVITY IN SPACE

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

While agree that NASA is important and way better than private spaceflight, I doubt the investors in Musk's poo poo would funnel that money to NASA regardless.

NASA loving owns

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm mad at the world today so please excuse me (but really, gently caress Musk and the rest of Silicon Valley forever and I look forward to that bubble bursting)

Shut up dude. Coming from a guy who openly felates Apple products your comments all sounds pretty loving shallow and stupid. Go for a run with your dog then drink a shower beer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Heyyyy, lets see what's going on in the chat thread!

:ughh:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Heyyyy, lets see what's going on in the chat thread!

:ughh:

Every time I see or hear the name Elon Musk I mentally picutre Mads Mikkelsen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The thing is, if we (as a species or as a given country) really wanted to step up space tech stuff, it's not that expensive in big picture terms. I worked it out once and I think the entire Apollo programme, start to finish and adjusted for inflation, cost less than a year of the NHS.

So if the US is going to continue to gently caress people on healthcare, you could at least spend the money on something cool like big loving rockets.

• Locked thread