Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also vargas has a pulse on info via electronic stuff and there's some old fashioned no nonsense paperwork policing being done so thats probably going to be his undoing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im thinkin one of the brothers is gonna die and the ohter is gonna take over their life

Probably vargas approved (like when rich stussy doesnt wanna play ball)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I am dying to see where they go with this, "Gloria cannot be recognized by automatic sensors." stuff. Maybe it never resolves and it's just a quirky thing they threw in, or maybe she's actually BEEN DEAD THE WHOLE TIME.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ehud posted:

I am dying to see where they go with this, "Gloria cannot be recognized by automatic sensors." stuff. Maybe it never resolves and it's just a quirky thing they threw in, or maybe she's actually BEEN DEAD THE WHOLE TIME.

security camera doesnt pick her up would be hysterical lol

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"using her poontang to hoodwink and bamboozle" might be my favorite line of anything ever

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Ehud posted:

If nothing else, it's illustrative of the fact that the world's left her behind. She's not on Facebook, her department's being absorbed, her husband left her for a man. There are tons of scenes where people around her are absorbed in technology - the diner last episode, the lady at the parole office, her son with the phone before bed. And since Varga is being portrayed as utterly reliant on modern conveniences, I'm assuming it's setting up that she's going to be the one to bring him down, just like in season 1 where Malvo had all this wild animal symbolism going for him and Gus (formerly in Animal Control) was the one to finally kill him.

Although it would be great if she, like, no-sells an electric fence or something.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

GobiasIndustries posted:

"using her poontang to hoodwink and bamboozle" might be my favorite line of anything ever

I like to think they went through five or six version of that line, saying, "No no, it needs to sound dumber," every time

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I hope the sheriff comes around next week and signs off on this investigation. He's the only character I'm not on board with and right now he feels like a gruff replay of Bob Odenkirk in season one.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Man, I loved that brief glint of a smile on Emmit's face when Vargas proposed taking him into the billionaire business before he went back to stony faced.

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
How much was the Peter and the Wolf theme telling us? Which brother is the Duck? What does the Wolf do to the Duck? I find myself simply delighted by the quirky inventiveness of the season.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

A.V. Club posted:

Emmit is the bird (represented by the flute), Ray is the duck (represented by the oboe), Nikki is the cat (represented by the clarinet), Sy is the grandfather (represented by the bassoon, the blast of the hunter’s shotgun is Yuria (represented by the kettle drum), Varga is the wolf (represented by the french horn), and Gloria is Peter (represented by the strings). It’s not a precise match-up—Yuria as the hunter’s shotgun is an odd choice—but if this ends up following the plot of the original story, Varga will “eat” Ray, and Gloria will use Emmit to lure Varga out into the open, where she’ll rope a noose around his neck. I suspect things won’t go that way, though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Ray Wise looks an awful lot like the stasi interogator. Like 20 years older or something.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Looked like the room Vargas took over had servers in it. Are they running some crpyto poo poo in there or something?

Didnt realize how serious he was when he said "new it stuff"

They are going to hack cars in parking lots and make them mine bitcoins. None of the locals will manage to understand.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

drat this episode was good

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also welcome back Billy Bob.

Heck. What? Did Hanzee change his face again?

For some odd reason I like this Winnie officer, hope she teams up with Gloria and reveals her inner bitch and plays bad cop.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

White Rabbit posted:

Heck. What? Did Hanzee change his face again?

For some odd reason I like this Winnie officer, hope she teams up with Gloria and reveals her inner bitch and plays bad cop.

Listen to the Peter and the Wolf narration

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The bulimia is a little much but I like the World's Nicest Cop helping with the murder investigation

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Good luck with your homicide!
(I almost hoped it would be Molly. Almost.)

This show and BCS are so far ahead of everything else. Mr. Robot in close third.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

The bulimia is a little much but I like the World's Nicest Cop helping with the murder investigation

I don't think the World's Nicest Cop is long for this Earth.

The bulimia was a nice touch. Shows him as flawed or damaged rather than just a mysterious criminal mastermind.

I wonder if the wife figured V.M. was British from his accent or his teeth.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

The bulimia was a nice touch. Shows him as flawed or damaged rather than just a mysterious criminal mastermind.

Feels too on-the-nose, like a caricature. Like I'm supposed to think his ostentatious lines are word-vomit instead of just ostentatious. Instead of seeing a mixture of overcompensation for class-anxiety, an overwrought narcissistic affectation and a subtly menacing silver-tongued-as-a-skill character, he feels a bit caricatured now.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Accretionist posted:

I think it might be more of a control thing than anything else.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also, holy poo poo this is the best thing on TV. This show is amazing and every scene feels so purposeful and unique.

I need a Winnie gang tag.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the bulimia thing isn't just a character flaw. Vargas is from everywhere and nowhere, speaks all languages, is constantly traveling from city to city. his only reason for being is to make so much money he can disappear so no one can get in the way of his making money. he consumes massive amounts and then he throws it all up so he can do it again. he's an avatar of globalized capitalism.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Control-freak wannabe aristocrat works much better for me, thanks thread

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Best show on TV right now?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Gyshall posted:

1. Better Call Saul
2. The Leftovers
3. Fargo
4. Silicon Valley

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Hands down.

This season hasn't felt as powerful as season 2, but on par with season 1 for me. The Peter & the Wolf bit is so incredibly goofy but works so well. Between that and the minimal yet clever characterizations man this show is so much fun.

It's also striking to me how much more I care and want to know more about the asian headphone-loving henchman than any character that's ever been on the Walking Dead. They might be over the top, and goofy, but man they're interesting.

Can't wait to see how this plays out. I hope either:

1) Emmet gets killed and replaced by Ray, rest of the season we get to enjoy Ray pretending to be him

2) The brothers reconcile and join forces to defeat Varga

or really anything else. These writers are great, I trust em'.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

There was something pretty David Lynch styled terrifying about just barely seeing Malvo on the ground of Varga's mobile lair narrating the episode

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
My guess is that Varga is an old time English born KGB spook a la Kim Philby, only younger. Unlike Philby, who died of alcoholism in the USSR in 1988, Varga was young enough to live through the collapse of the USSR, and when the tanks started shelling the Parliament, he decided to take his talents and go off on his own.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Philby

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 12, 2017

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Fargo S3: "You want a good cop, but you need the bad Stussy"

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Probably coincidental, but since minnesota had a ton of scandinavian immigrants it might also be intentional. "Varg" is a scandinavian word for wolf, and . "Varga-" wouldbe a prefix for things pertaining to wolves, or other bad things. Like in the Swedish "vargavinter" = "wolf's winter", a harsh winter, or "vargatider" = "wolf's times", bad times.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 12, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ovenboy posted:

Probably coincidental, but since minnesota had a ton of scandinavian immigrants it might also be intentional. "Varg" is a scandinavian word for wolf, and . "Varga-" wouldbe a prefix for things pertaining to wolves, or other bad things. Like in the Swedish "vargavinter" = a harsh winter, or "vargatider" = bad times.

Varga Vikernes

Also David Thewlis is most famous for playing a werewolf

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Capntastic posted:

There was something pretty David Lynch styled terrifying about just barely seeing Malvo on the ground of Varga's mobile lair narrating the episode

I also got a lot of Lynch vibes from that long shot of Vargas spraying breath freshener in his mouth with spooky howling/droning sound in the background

Just in that way it made something almost comically mundane into something actually very intimidating

Gotta admit I wasn't sold on Vargas initially but I think this episode made him very successfully into someone who seems truly scary. That sorta deal with the devil scene he had with Rich Ewan was really well shot and acted in a "I'm spewing bullshit but I'm terrifying and I'm convincing you to abandon your principles" kind of vibe. I'm much more on board with that plot now.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I also got a lot of Lynch vibes from that long shot of Vargas spraying breath freshener in his mouth with spooky howling/droning sound in the background

Just in that way it made something almost comically mundane into something actually very intimidating

Very clear parallels between that scene and the scene in the premiere where the gently caress up parolee is exhaling pot smoke in slow mo with the throat singing music.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Varga definitely has a high level of intimidation to him. I was trying to pinpoint what it is that he's doing. I think it's the fact that he has 100% confidence, and not that he really believes in himself, just that he gives absolutely zero shits about any objection. Mix in his initial appearance of a disheveled business man and you find yourself with a pretty intimidating character. I don't think he would have the same screen presence if he was clean cut in a $1000 suit.

Which begs the question, who's the most intimidating Fargo character so far?:

Lorne Malvo
Mike Milligan
Hanzee
Bear Geirhardt
Varga
Russian bodyguard guy
Asian bodyguard guy

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Frodo Baggins wife from the S1 pilot

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Varga definitely has a high level of intimidation to him. I was trying to pinpoint what it is that he's doing. I think it's the fact that he has 100% confidence, and not that he really believes in himself, just that he gives absolutely zero shits about any objection. Mix in his initial appearance of a disheveled business man and you find yourself with a pretty intimidating character. I don't think he would have the same screen presence if he was clean cut in a $1000 suit.

Which begs the question, who's the most intimidating Fargo character so far?:

Lorne Malvo
Mike Milligan
Hanzee
Bear Geirhardt
Varga
Russian bodyguard guy
Asian bodyguard guy

Malvo. Mike is my favorite but he was more fun than scary.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

What would it take for the V.M. to stand for a translation of "Big Bad"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm wondering if they are going to tie all the seasons together somehow (other than just all the seasons tying directly into the movie)

Like, aliens man. Is the main cop lady in this season an alien?

• Locked thread