Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

yaffle posted:

Is there a website/study that details what a carbon neutral humanity would have to look like? If all seven billion people had the same resources/lifestyle and we weren't going to gently caress up the future in any catastrophic way, what would our lives be like? Preferably one that doesn't presume fusion power or asteroid mining or any such other currently only-in-Elon-Musk's-head type tech.

This is probably the best thing I've found on the issue: https://www.withouthotair.com/

It's perfectly possible with current technology to use nuclear, wind, and/or solar energy to be carbon neutral. It's a political and economic question of allocating resources for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

yaffle posted:

Is there a website/study that details what a carbon neutral humanity would have to look like? If all seven billion people had the same resources/lifestyle and we weren't going to gently caress up the future in any catastrophic way, what would our lives be like? Preferably one that doesn't presume fusion power or asteroid mining or any such other currently only-in-Elon-Musk's-head type tech.

Going full nuclear, and using electric vehicles gets us most of the way with literally almost no impact on how we actually live. Had we started on this route 15 years ago....

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

People are thrilled to make sacrifices when given a shared goal and a strong leader. This is 100% a failure of our leadership system. Look at Kennedy or Churchill or Hitler promising toil and service to cheering crowds. We could be fixing this right now.

It is insane that a major crisis coincides with low labor participation. People would get behind a climate change Apollo program if our leadership wanted to do one.

Instead our leaders appear to have decided to continue enriching themselves in the short term and, if they've thought this far, relying on the power of state repression in the future when the consequences come around. History will not be kind to the leaders of the early 21st century.

Your idea is laudable, but your examples are oddly bonkers, considering that Kennedy got shot, Churchill booted from office the day the war was over, and Hitler committed suicide.

That's uh, not the way we want this going in this case, or the environment ends even more hosed afterwards.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The problem needs to be solved technologically, in an astonishing way that benefits people, without a huge amount of material sacrifice, otherwise, even if everyone were to become low-tech subsistence farmers, all it would take is some rear end in a top hat running for office saying "Hey, let's start burning coal and oil again and go back to the good times!" Hell, that's what just happened even without any initial positive change beforehand.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine if bangladeshi agents just started dropping tree branches on the right transmissions lines, and driving drone-boat barrel-bombs into oil tankers in the straights of hormuz and malacca

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

StabbinHobo posted:

imagine if bangladeshi agents just started dropping tree branches on the right transmissions lines, and driving drone-boat barrel-bombs into oil tankers in the straights of hormuz and malacca

Stop I can only get so hard

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
New interview on the folks who put together the 100 best evidenced ways to address and mitigate climate change.

quote:

The number one solution, in terms of potential impact? A combination of educating girls and family planning, which together could reduce 120 gigatons of CO2-equivalent by 2050 — more than on- and offshore wind power combined (99 GT).

Also sitting atop the list, with an impact that dwarfs any single energy source: refrigerant management. (Don’t hear much about that, do you? Here’s a great Brad Plumer piece on it.)

Both reduced food waste and plant-rich diets, on their own, beat solar farms and rooftop solar combined.
Every carbon number [in the book] is peer-reviewed data. We don’t use anecdotal data, or “we think,” or “we’re seeing.” Everything is peer reviewed. If there’s no peer-reviewed data, we can’t model it. And on the economic side, which is more difficult and gnarly, there’s no such thing as peer reviewed data in most cases.

We do lit reviews, tech reviews — we’ve got a couple thousand notes and three thousand references for the content.

We had a guy who’s presenting Drawdown to the [IPCC] Sixth Assessment, the Third Working Group. One of the scientists there took a poke at regenerative agriculture and said, “Well, that’s just climate smart agriculture [CSA], we know about that already.” I wrote back and said, “Show me the model.”

It’s a generality. It doesn’t mean anything. Multistrata agroforestry, fantastic, show me a model. Silvopasture — show me the science. In the process of covering land use, we had to identify what had actually been studied. So we have 22 land-use solutions. We’re splitters, in order to get accurate data.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

Your idea is laudable, but your examples are oddly bonkers, considering that Kennedy got shot, Churchill booted from office the day the war was over, and Hitler committed suicide.

That's uh, not the way we want this going in this case, or the environment ends even more hosed afterwards.

You guys really are broken if you think three of the most popular politicians of the 20th century aren't examples of leaders who could mobilize people to combat climate change. Do you have any idea how many jobs a green revolution would represent? People would absolutely get on board and forget/ignore that they ever believed Republican lies about the economy once infrastructure money rolled out to the whole country. Hell even a bad and wasteful wave of infrastructure spending buys public opinion for a few years.

You can see it with the AHCA; people aren't so dumb that they can't see impacts in their own lives but they have to actually see it to be convinced. Once they see it only die-hard partisans will remain convinced that health care/clean energy are damaging.

This is a failure of leadership.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Orions Lord posted:

One of the questions should be if global warning would pose a threat to your children's lifetime.

One of the questions should have been "Why the gently caress were you so dumb for so long?"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

You guys really are broken if you think three of the most popular politicians of the 20th century aren't examples of leaders who could mobilize people to combat climate change. Do you have any idea how many jobs a green revolution would represent? People would absolutely get on board and forget/ignore that they ever believed Republican lies about the economy once infrastructure money rolled out to the whole country. Hell even a bad and wasteful wave of infrastructure spending buys public opinion for a few years.

You can see it with the AHCA; people aren't so dumb that they can't see impacts in their own lives but they have to actually see it to be convinced. Once they see it only die-hard partisans will remain convinced that health care/clean energy are damaging.

Yep! Especially when posters on a sub-forum of a comedy site make more compelling arguments for systemic change than almost all politicians.

Our leaders are paid to NOT disrupt the current system; they're paid to manage it.

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-65-teaser-the-brutal-question

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

More like a failure of trolling.

But if you're serious, try again next time with better examples. Hell, replace Hitler with Stalin and Churchill with Mao, and I could almost believe you

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Huzanko posted:

The problem needs to be solved technologically, in an astonishing way that benefits people, without a huge amount of material sacrifice, otherwise, even if everyone were to become low-tech subsistence farmers, all it would take is some rear end in a top hat running for office saying "Hey, let's start burning coal and oil again and go back to the good times!" Hell, that's what just happened even without any initial positive change beforehand.

This thread goes around and around on this issue, but no, there isn't going to be a technological "solution" because it isn't really possible for there to be one. We have to both reduce emissions and eventually pull carbon back out of the atmosphere. The latter will be done with technology, but it's going to be incredibly expensive. The former will be done through technology and social change, both of which are also going to be costly. If we aren't willing to pay those costs and make those sacrifices, then we'll pay them later when we're forced to deal with the consequences of our inaction.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Once we get the proper carbon sinking technology well be able to suck all the co2 out of the atmosphere. We wont have to slow anything down or reduce emmissions. And only then will we find out if CO2 is really responsible for climate change.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Libluini posted:

More like a failure of trolling.

But if you're serious, try again next time with better examples. Hell, replace Hitler with Stalin and Churchill with Mao, and I could almost believe you

Stalin was a fairly poo poo speechifier though.

Applause length notwithstanding :v:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

This thread goes around and around on this issue, but no, there isn't going to be a technological "solution" because it isn't really possible for there to be one. We have to both reduce emissions and eventually pull carbon back out of the atmosphere. The latter will be done with technology, but it's going to be incredibly expensive. The former will be done through technology and social change, both of which are also going to be costly. If we aren't willing to pay those costs and make those sacrifices, then we'll pay them later when we're forced to deal with the consequences of our inaction.

I think reduction of emissions is going to happen faster than most people think. If Li-ion battery prices continue to decrease for even a little while longer, that alone will virtually guarantee most cars/trucks moving off fossil fuels. That combined with continued incremental improvements in conventrional photovoltaics and wind energy virtually guarantee that electricity generation will become dominated by renewable sources. The ultimate enabler for all of this is simply that the cost of renewables and storage have a lot of room to decrease, while declining EROIE fundamentally limits the prices at which fossil fuel energy can be profitable. Even current oil prices, for example, render most wells (and near 100% of new ones) unprofitable. So the price that fossil fuels need to support themselves is at best fixed and in reality must go up, whereas the price of storage and renewable generation will continue to plummet even if there are no major technological breakthroughs.

If there *is* even a modest technological breakthrough in certain areas (say a cheap, rechargable metal air battery, or an order of magnitude improvement in price or performance of PVs), I don't think people appreciate just how suddenly things can change and just how quickly the fossil fuel industry (and fossil fuel dependent states) can come crashing down. The current prices of fossil fuels are putting enormous strain on the industry and petrostates, and are probably not sustainable. Anything that maintains price pressure at these levels or forces them even lower is a deathblow.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

When the batteries power the robots that make the batteries. :weed:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

We have a technological solution. People are idiots. :smithicide:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Correction: had.

Reminder - after 9/11, we briefly (over 3 days) had a sudden 1 degree Celsius variation in night/day temperatures in the U.S. appear - because all the airplanes were grounded. They were no longer creating contrails, which served to reflect incoming and outgoing radiation and moderated temperatures slightly.

The lack of flights caused clear skies, with a rather stronger impact than anticipated. This effect is known as dimming, and its effects are far-reaching; did you know the most important factor in evaporation is how much sunlight water receives? What do you suppose might happen if that were reduced?

Despite rising temperatures increasing water vapor capacity of the air, evaporation rates have actually declined.

Sulfur dioxide from fossil fuel emissions, for example, would fall out of the atmosphere within days; these exert a net dimming effect, which would be immediately felt.

Worse - do you know how strong this effect is? In Antarctica, dimming amounted to a reduction of 9% of inbound radiation. In Russia, it was as high as 30%.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 11, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Evil_Greven posted:

Correction: had.

Reminder - after 9/11, we briefly (over 3 days) had a sudden 1 degree Celsius variation in night/day temperatures in the U.S. appear - because all the airplanes were grounded. They were no longer creating contrails, which served to reflect incoming and outgoing radiation and moderated temperatures slightly.

The lack of flights caused clear skies, with a rather stronger impact than anticipated. This effect is known as dimming, and its effects are far-reaching; did you know the most important factor in evaporation is how much sunlight water receives? What do you suppose might happen if that were reduced?

Despite rising temperatures increasing water vapor capacity of the air, evaporation rates have actually declined.

Sulfur dioxide from fossil fuel emissions, for example, would fall out of the atmosphere within days; these exert a net dimming effect, which would be immediately felt.

Worse - do you know how strong this effect is? In Antarctica, dimming amounted to a reduction of 9% of inbound radiation. In Russia, it was as high as 30%.

Wait, so if civilization collapses such that carbon emissions are significantly halted for a year, the effect would actually be a massive spike in heating? :stare:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rime posted:

Wait, so if civilization collapses such that carbon emissions are significantly halted for a year, the effect would actually be a massive spike in heating? :stare:
You'd be able to grow 9% more crops in Antarctica though.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Its okay all that needs to happen is one scientist with sad brains to release some of those fancy biological weapons hidden away from the Cold War and the population growth problem is solved!

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

TildeATH posted:

One of the questions should have been "Why the gently caress were you so dumb for so long?"

Nah the kids will ask that when they get older.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rime posted:

Yes, halting coal production would similarly cause a short-term temperature spike.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Rime posted:

Depends how it happens but yes, they are basically doing this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratospheric_sulfate_aerosols_(geoengineering) just not on purpose

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So we could potentially already be above 2* of warming globally, and are just completely unaware of it due to how much reflection we put out as a byproduct of maintaining civilization.

:stonk:

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Yes. That's part of the reason 2° is a pipe dream. Global brightening and polar feedback loops well ahead of IPCC predictions alone means we're likely already at a point where a transition to a carbon free economy even if rapidly deployed (lol) would see us cross that threshold, and that's a conservative outlook.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rime posted:

So we could potentially already be above 2* of warming globally, and are just completely unaware of it due to how much reflection we put out as a byproduct of maintaining civilization.

:stonk:
If we can do this kind of geoengineering accidentally, there's really no need to worry. We just have to offset a reduction in pollution with active targeted measures.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, let's not confuse "we're pretty sure this is going to happen" with "we're going to sit around and let this happen." In a scenario where we're already doing the work to convert to a zero-carbon society worldwide, there's no reason why we'd simply let the feedback gently caress us. We know it's there, we know what we'd do to deal with it.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
Yes, seed aerosals in the atmosphere for the rest of eternity.

I hope you didn't like having blue skies too much

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

I thought we just established that our skies were already far less blue than they'd be naturally? This would just be maintaining it. Besides, it would most effectively be done at lower latitudes, no reason to ruin things for people in colder climates.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The entirety of human civilization is a small price to pay for the correct shade of blue.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I managed to successfully get through to a conservative relative by asking "When's the last time you saw a butterfly?".

There used to be huge swarms of monarch butterflies around where I live that I remember distinctly when I was a child. I havent even seen a single one this year.

Here's a fun article published today:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/where-have-all-insects-gone

Insect populations have dropped over 80% since 1989 in many regions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blade Runner gets more and more prescient.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Blockade posted:

I managed to successfully get through to a conservative relative by asking "When's the last time you saw a butterfly?".

There used to be huge swarms of monarch butterflies around where I live that I remember distinctly when I was a child. I havent even seen a single one this year.

Thought that'd be like a weird statistic of differentiation in species selected for blah blah, but no. It's areas with 80% total mass of insects gone.

That's... not good. That is a very bad sign.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Stratospheric aerosol injection is a different beast than the tropospheric aerosol injection. They are not interchangeable.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

There's also the option of a space based sun shade, like a bunch of satellites sitting somewhere between earth and the sun so that they cast a shadow on the earth.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Remember that the guy who popularized stratospheric sulfate aerosol deployment over the last decade or so actually thinks it's a terrible idea. One of the likely outcomes is much more severe and lengthy droughts in southeast Asia. If we get to the point where the US or some other country is unilaterally deciding to wreck agricultural output in one of the most densely populated regions of the world then we're probably already so hosed that it doesn't matter anyway. This isn't something that's going to be solved by better technology either, it's just a consequence of this particular plan.

Don't forget that you'd have to run this program continuously too, because there's a serious risk of sudden and catastrophic warming if you stop. Even as a last ditch effort it would need to be paired with widescale carbon capture and a rapid reduction in emissions.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 11, 2017

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Blockade posted:

I wonder how much that has to do with chemicals like agriculture 'cides, industrial pollution, and habitat destruction. Maybe only like 10% of those numbers are due to climate change, and the rest of those insects died from exposure to human's kind and loving care of the environment.
Dealing with climate change is going to be a loving nightmare. Ecosystems are hanging by a thread right now because we've done so much damage in the past centuries. How the hell are you supposed to optimistic when humans can't even figure out how to deal with even the most trivial environmental problems.

It won't be long before the world looks very very different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Arglebargle III posted:

The entirety of human civilization is a small price to pay for the correct shade of blue.

Hell, my dad was telling me years ago that the sky wasn't the same color as it was when he was little.

Intentional geoengineering will be a last desperate gamble to save our species, one which will in all likelihood (given our wonderful track record) be poorly thought-out and gently caress the world for ages to come.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9b9aoINXzk