Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Das Boo posted:

There was a WinCo near my old apartment that had those dry storage bins of nuts, candy, cereal, etc. and a ton of self-checkout stands.
I sometimes wondered how horribly you could rob the place by buying pine nuts and inputting them as peanuts, which was the next bin over and one digit off.

As for something that makes me unreasonably angry, when I'm sitting in a near empty theater and another person comes in and sits directly in front of me. I hate you. I don't know your name and I hate you.

Are you sitting in the middle? Because gently caress if I'm going to deviate from the sweet spot just because someone else is in the sweeter spot one row back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Das Boo posted:

There was a WinCo near my old apartment that had those dry storage bins of nuts, candy, cereal, etc. and a ton of self-checkout stands.
I sometimes wondered how horribly you could rob the place by buying pine nuts and inputting them as peanuts, which was the next bin over and one digit off.

As it turned out, some she-bogan in my nation had the same notion, with a surprisingly complex scam.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...cef825555338af3

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are you sitting in the middle? Because gently caress if I'm going to deviate from the sweet spot just because someone else is in the sweeter spot one row back.

The one I'm thinking of in particular wasn't, but if I'm in the center and you sit in front of me one seat to the left or right, I'm fine. It's when you're directly in front of me that I hate you. I am short. :mad:

Sic Semper Goon posted:

As it turned out, some she-bogan in my nation had the same notion, with a surprisingly complex scam.

Jesus, coffee makers for ramen prices and she only got caught for looking nervous.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I actually had someone try to do this to me, an actual cashier at a register quite a while ago. Scan a tin of baby formula? 99 cents. Yep, seems legit. Just let me call my manager real quick...

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That can happen, but at least in my experience the people who really hold things up are the senior citizens who just stare bewilderedly at the screen and need someone to hold their hand through every step of the process. The problems you describe are quick fixes as long as there's an employee available and don't really hold up the line like that.

This is my work day if I'm at the counter. Grinds my gears because ffs, these people get prescriptions on a regular basis. Pressing buttons and following prompts is NOT HARD, especially when you are exposed to this CONSTANTLY. Yet they pretend to not understand the green button means "enter/yes/proceed" even though every keypad from grocery to gas stations work that way and they'd pick up on the variations if they would loving pay attention.

I understand some older folks have significant vision or memory problems, but those are not the majority of my patients and you can usually pick up on the difference between those and plain incompetence when you see the same people all the time. You've been coming here for months, you know how the keypad works, you're just trying to force conversation. Get your poo poo and get out of here already.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I like the place where I get my groceries they turned the volume up extra loud for all the old people.

THIS MACHINE DOESN'T ACCEPT CASH

DO YOU WANT TO PROCEED

ARE YOU A CLUB MEMBER

SCAN YOUR CLUB CARD NOW

ONE MILK

TWO APPLES

HOW MANY BAGS DID YOU USE

SWIPE OR TAP YOUR CARD NOW

TAKE YOUR BAGS AND RECEIPT

THANK YOU FOR USING AUTOMATED CHECKOUT HAVE A NICE DAY

It's fun to listen to this from 10 machines all yelling at once

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
UNKNOWN ITEM IN BAGGING AREA

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Fruit Soup Riot posted:

If you choose to take a phone call while standing at the entrance to a subway station then I should be allowed to push you down the stairs.

I actually saw a woman trying to walk her completely stationary toddler up the stairs WHILE trying to make a phone call, at 9am on a weekday. They should both be exiled.

Anyway, it irks the poo poo out of me when people use "over/under" incorrectly, and I bet it irks the poo poo out of those people when I answer questions like "What's the over/under on the coffee being burnt today?" with "Three".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That over/under thing drives me nuts too. No matter how many times goons in particular are corrected about it they continue to use it wrong.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

That over/under thing drives me nuts too. No matter how many times goons in particular are corrected about it they continue to use it wrong.

There's a handful of goon words and phrases that drive me up the wall just because of how overused they are. Over/under is among them. Same with "milquetoast" and the dozens of ~wacky~ misspellings of "schadenfreude." Oh, and "namaste."

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The above reminded me of this one:

Whenever Benedict Cumberbatch gets brought up and people fall all over themselves to show of the super wacky and not at all hilarious random word mixes of his name. It's godawful.

e: similarly with M. Night Shyamalan

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

UNKNOWN ITEM IN BAGGING AREA

ITS JUST MY DONG/STOMAGE

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nostradingus posted:

There's a handful of goon words and phrases that drive me up the wall just because of how overused they are. Over/under is among them. Same with "milquetoast" and the dozens of ~wacky~ misspellings of "schadenfreude." Oh, and "namaste."

That is annoying but so is the phenomenon of people getting all weird about goons using certain words and phrases "wrong". Like Dunning-Kruger effect. Do goons get a little too trigger happy with that one? Sure, but I've never seen them use it wrong, just a bit too eagerly.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Joey Freshwater posted:

e: similarly with M. Night Shyamalan

At some point in Cinema Discusso, intentional manglings of 'Shyamalan' became officially probatable and everyone was better for it.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Jerry Cotton posted:

How very elitist of you.

http://i.imgur.com/KfsTNkA.mp4

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I hate the phrase "on the go". People always use it when talking about some product they like and it sounds like they're reading ad copy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This is my work day if I'm at the counter. Grinds my gears because ffs, these people get prescriptions on a regular basis. Pressing buttons and following prompts is NOT HARD, especially when you are exposed to this CONSTANTLY. Yet they pretend to not understand the green button means "enter/yes/proceed" even though every keypad from grocery to gas stations work that way and they'd pick up on the variations if they would loving pay attention.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Seems that if you're too dumb to use the self-checkout stand at the grocery store, you're also too dumb to know this about yourself. Or you just don't care and you don't pay attention to other things in your life, and flail about helplessly in the expectation of service personnel to assist you at all times, while holding everyone else up. Either way, I hope you get food poisoning.

Like, I'm picturing you doubled over in pain and vomiting in my head, right now, as you stare at the little touchscreen, stunned like cattle that just got bolted in the forehead, that there exists in this world a touchscreen that doesn't do all the thinking for you and just play a soothing video while you wait for the store clerk to bail you out.

It's the scanning that pisses me off - the machine have two scanners at right angles, so you can wave the item in front and maybe give it a quick rotate and it will find the barcode

But there's always some twat who will pick up an item, examine it carefully to locate the barcode, make sure to stretch the packaging taut and then gently present it to the vertical scanner.

I want to help them! I really do. But there's no way to say "excuse me, mind if I show you the correct way to use a scanner" without looking like a bellend.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Having to make 4+ fairly trivial decisions when using a card processor for checkout at some stores.

Do you have a loyalty membership?
- Yes:
- Enter # or whatever
- Do you want to use your loyalty membership points?
Do you want to make a donation to (whatever)?
- Yes: Amount
Insert or swipe card
- Chip: wait 20 seconds for it to work then remove card
- Swipe: wait 5-10 seconds for it to work
Credit or Debit?
- Debit: Cash back?
- Amount?
Is this amount OK?
Do you want a a receipt?
- Yes
- Email or paper?
- Email: Enter email address

All I wanted was a pack of gum and some Kleenex.

Best part is when they have the "golden path" options move from left to right on the screen - sometimes the quickest option is on the left, sometimes on the right, and oops, if you gently caress up they have to re-do the whole thing.

Even stores that remember your info/recognize your card/whatever still have minimum 4 options you have to select each time just to get done. Decision fatigue is a real thing.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Took me a second! Can't tell if shopped or just a similarly irritated installer/inspector who should have caught it to begin with.

gewki
May 2, 2017
People leaving a room and almost entirely closing the door, leaving just a little gap where the door is neither properly open or closed.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Speaking of self-checkouts, a few months back, Kroger installed new software on their self-checkouts. It reads aloud the prices of everything, which is mildly obnoxious, but the part that pisses me off is that the response time on entering your loyalty number is like a confused old lady and it takes me three times as long at least to enter it now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Goons timging every image in their post, and the pictures aren't even huge. If they are huge, just put an L or H in front of the extension and it'll resize it to something reasonable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

"It's either going to be great or it's gonna be the worst!"

...how? If you honestly think those are the only two possibilities then the reality is probably somewhere in the middle.
I can't think of anything that fits this assessment.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

taiyoko posted:

Speaking of self-checkouts, a few months back, Kroger installed new software on their self-checkouts. It reads aloud the prices of everything, which is mildly obnoxious, but the part that pisses me off is that the response time on entering your loyalty number is like a confused old lady and it takes me three times as long at least to enter it now.

I don't know if it's just me, but the new checkout voice sounds petulant. I always feel mildly irritated after going through because it sounds so impatient.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Goons timging every image in their post, and the pictures aren't even huge. If they are huge, just put an L or H in front of the extension and it'll resize it to something reasonable.

I do this because I mostly post on my phone/the awful app and you really can't tell what's huge and what's not.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Motherfucking timecard cheaters.

We recently got a new timeclock program at work because over the past few years, people have been loving up their work times. You see, it was too much of a struggle for people to be honest, so if you didn't clock out for lunch but still took it, eh, no biggie.

So now there are four options: In, Lunch Out, Return Lunch, Out. That is it. You can't make any adjustments if your lunch gets cut short or you miss a punch.

Oh, and these systems are only in our base locations. So if I am driving somewhere and need to get my lunch, I need to drive to a base center to clock in and out. Which would be fine if we didn't have a very small number of locations compared to the vast delivery zones.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

om nom nom posted:

I do this because I mostly post on my phone/the awful app and you really can't tell what's huge and what's not.

Then just the letter before the extension so us computer users don't have to click on every image. Or scroll past your post without looking.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Inzombiac posted:

"It's either going to be great or it's gonna be the worst!"

...how? If you honestly think those are the only two possibilities then the reality is probably somewhere in the middle.
I can't think of anything that fits this assessment.

I think that is because of the general backlash against the (correct) idea that the "truth" is usually in the middle. Typically it is said about politics but people still jump on you for saying a movie, especially if its a nerd one like star wars/trek or comic books, was "just ok". Everyone has to have a super strong hyperbolic opinion about it either way.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
The truth is in the middle. The earth is a cone shape.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think that is because of the general backlash against the (correct) idea that the "truth" is usually in the middle. Typically it is said about politics but people still jump on you for saying a movie, especially if its a nerd one like star wars/trek or comic books, was "just ok". Everyone has to have a super strong hyperbolic opinion about it either way.

Huh, I've never been called out for having a moderate opinion. Well, maybe when I thought Avatar was just okay and most others were still on the hype train.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Throwing around "the truth is in the middle" seriously. Most if not all political questions are completely binary at their core. Dressing them up as non-binary is just what politicians do to confuse dumb-asses.

Actually this is a big thing not a little thing so sue me.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
When you're in a hurry and you need to make a quick stop at a gas station and end up in line behind a foreign guy trying to rent a trailer.

Not racist. Just all the ID stuff and the paper work and the staff being extra suspicious that he's just going to take it out of the country and sell it. Makes for a very drawn out routine.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Cotton posted:

Throwing around "the truth is in the middle" seriously. Most if not all political questions are completely binary at their core. Dressing them up as non-binary is just what politicians do to confuse dumb-asses.

Actually this is a big thing not a little thing so sue me.

"I agree with you overall, but on this point-"

"Oh, the truth is in the middle, huh?"

:suicide:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I have a special hatred for people on elevators who stare at their phones and walk out the door as soon as it opens, only to look up in amazement that they're not on the floor they wanted and walk back inside.

Not only is there a display in the elevator that says what floor you're on, they recently added a friendly woman's voice to the elevators in my building that says the floor number. How the gently caress does this keep happening?!

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I have a special hatred for people on elevators who stare at their phones and walk out the door as soon as it opens, only to look up in amazement that they're not on the floor they wanted and walk back inside.

Not only is there a display in the elevator that says what floor you're on, they recently added a friendly woman's voice to the elevators in my building that says the floor number. How the gently caress does this keep happening?!

People that push the button then stand 3" infront of the door as if its absolutely impossible someone may also be stopping on that floor and want to get out. Get the gently caress out the way dipshit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shortness.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Catberry posted:

When you're in a hurry and you need to make a quick stop at a gas station and end up in line behind a foreign guy trying to rent a trailer.

Not racist. Just all the ID stuff and the paper work and the staff being extra suspicious that he's just going to take it out of the country and sell it. Makes for a very drawn out routine.

This but old people and their 50 lottery tickets.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I'm pretty sure this guy who takes the same bus route home as me has a foot fetish. Any time me (or another woman) walks past his seat on the bus he compliments our shoes and stares at them for a while.

It makes me pretty uncomfortable. But he's technically not doing anything wrong so I can't really do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Picnic Princess posted:

This but old people and their 50 lottery tickets.

Holy poo poo, yes. Lottery people are the worst. Even with the self scanner to check if the ticket is a winner, some of them still make the cashier scan the tickets "just to double check."

:byodame: Play the numbers 3 18 9 and 7, that's my grandson's birthday. And 11 22 9 and 8, that's my granddaughter's. Oh and for my sister Mabel, she just had hip surgery and Jesus healed her so play 5 30 42 and her church is on 14th street, so add 14. Her church pastor, Reverend Paul, now his liscense plate number is 4 5 9 and there's 15 letters in his last name so add 15 to the ticket, and I've gotta play my lucky number 21, too! When I was 21, I lived in Detroit where the area code is 313 do let's play 31 and 3...."

• Locked thread