Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
At risk of being a little metagamey, White Plume Mountain is about retrieving three specific magical weapons: a trident, a war hammer, and a long sword. Being able to take advantage of those weapons when you find them would be a really good idea. I forget the Yawning Portal conversions but it would be worth taking Polearm Master for the trident if that applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Actually, I'm right because that has been stated policy for the FR for literally decades, with other products building off of the canoncity of the Baldur's Gate novels (their inclusion in the Grand History, for example.) Would you stop running your mouth about poo poo you don't know?
Well in this case I do know. Because Ed and the D&D team said soon after Murder In Baldurs Gate came out that the book based on the game is non canon. (Because it was both awful and it does not match new lore they created from stuff based on the original game. Like how Misnc looks and stuff.)

Arivia posted:

Mearls is the lead designer for the entire edition. He's a very bad one; he's certainly not doing his job; but he is involved in every product that comes out. Including OotA.
He was involved in that he made the rules with Crawford. He has no other credits in the book like he does in others. He did not write it or lay it out or anything like that. That was done by different people. He is not as heavily involved in the Adventures as he is the other products. (Yawning Portal is an exception as he compiled the adventures.)

Arivia posted:

The problem is that you don't seem to understand the complicated cross-setting publishing history of D&D, the Realms, and so on. Which is fine! It is more than a little messy. But if you don't get it, then you need to shut up and listen to people who actually put in the time to understand it. Learn, stop spouting off. Zuggtmoy was Gygax's creation for his own history of Greyhawk. She was included in 3e's core products, which had Greyhawk as the assumed default setting. She is not part of the Forgotten Realms.

Lolth, in contrast, was fleshed out as a planar entity not linked to Greyhawk itself. She was significantly included and worked upon by many people (including Ed Greenwood) when she was included in the Forgotten Realms, not just dropped out of nowhere.

Ogremoch and Entemoch are invoked in Siege of Darkness as part of the shared planar content that 2e AD&D had. That doesn't actually mean they're part of the Forgotten Realms - they're a part of a generic shared D&D narrative.

Content from the wider multiverse in 2e, whether it was planar (Planescape) or from Spelljammer, or whatever, was never specifically part of the individual settings it attached to. The individual settings always had primacy over the larger connections, else Dark Sun and Ravenloft and the rest of them wouldn't work at all.

You don't understand context. You're terrible at actually reading relationships between concepts. Please stop talking until you practice your critical skills. You are the worst poster in this thread by far.
I did take the time to understand it. At this point I think I understand it better then you. 3e was generic D&D with Greyhawk God given as the default. Very few Greyhawk stuff was released. Zuggtmoy was created by Gygax yes, as was Demogorgon, Graz'zt and Lolth. She as a Demon Lord can appear in any planer related product, which includes FR as they share almost the exact same outer planes as Greyhawk. She is just as much part of the Realms as Orcus, Demogorgon, and Graz'zt. Which is to say not very much, but she can show up there.

Lolth was a planar entity not linked to Greyhawk that is true. And neither was Zuggtymoy because she was a Demon Lord like Lolth.

Yes the Elemental Princes are part of the Generic shared D&D Narrative. That was my whole Goddamn point about all of this. I am saying that Zuggtymoy is the same, she is a generic D&D villain not a Greyhawk villain.

AlphaDog posted:

No you didn't, you just repeated your bullshit a few more times.

I repeated it because your dislike of me, means you won't acknowledge I am correct. Plus other then saying I am wrong you have not even done anything to disprove me.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Another player will be running something from that Yawning Portal book soon, the one about a mountain or something, I forget the name. Level eight, and he's thinking for magic items: one very rare, two to three rare, handful of uncommon.

I plan to go with my Warforged Fighter. Eldritch Knight with some cool spells like Shield. For items, I'm thinking +2 Maul, Belt of Fire Giant Strength (25 Str) and at least a Cloak of Protection. Probably magical armor too, I don't remember rarity on them.

Stats end up at: Str 25, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 8. Point buy, putting nothing in Str and just relying on the belt. I become a useless puppy if it ever gets removed. One ASI into Wis and Dex, Resilient (Wisdom) and Great Weapon Master. Great Weapon Fighter from class. I have 20 AC with the cloak, plate and my race, and hit with +12 or +7 when using GWM. What other magic items besides the maul, belt, cloak and armor should I be considering?

There is a pretty awesome Greatsword in the Dungeon itself.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I want to make sure I understand how the proficiency bonus interacts with saving throw proficiencies and skills:

I rolled a Bard, so he's proficient in dexterity and charisma saving throws. This means that if I have to make a dexterity saving throw, I add my proficiency bonus (+2) to my Dexterity bonus (+2) for a total bonus of +4 on the saving throw, right?

Similarly, for skills, because I know the Performance skill, I can add my +2 proficiency bonus to my +3 Charisma bonus when rolling a Performance check, right?

Do you gain additional skills as you level? I haven't seen it in the rules yet but I only got the PHB a few hours ago.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pham Nuwen posted:

I want to make sure I understand how the proficiency bonus interacts with saving throw proficiencies and skills:

I rolled a Bard, so he's proficient in dexterity and charisma saving throws. This means that if I have to make a dexterity saving throw, I add my proficiency bonus (+2) to my Dexterity bonus (+2) for a total bonus of +4 on the saving throw, right?

Similarly, for skills, because I know the Performance skill, I can add my +2 proficiency bonus to my +3 Charisma bonus when rolling a Performance check, right?
Correct.

quote:

Do you gain additional skills as you level? I haven't seen it in the rules yet but I only got the PHB a few hours ago.
Not without going out of your way to do so. There are various feats which you can take (DM permitting) in place of an ability score improvement to learn new skills: one appropriately called Skilled in the PHB, and several more that were released as an Unearthed Arcana feature a while ago. There's also a "downtime activities" mechanic that may be used to learn a skill, but that too comes down to the DM's permission.

In a couple of cases multiclassing also allows you to learn a new skill, I suppose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is correct.

For Skills you gain two from your class and two from your background.

Bards get an extra skill while Rogues get an extra two skills. Bards also tend to get a bonus to a lot of skill related stuff.

You don't learn any more skills as you level, but there is a feat you can take multiple times that gives you more skills along with a few other thing. You also don't need to know a skill in order to use it, you just get a bonus with it. (Bards are also good for this as they get Jack of All Trades which allows them to use half their proficiency on all ability checks they don't already use proficiency on.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I repeated it because your dislike of me, means you won't acknowledge I am correct. Plus other then saying I am wrong you have not even done anything to disprove me.

I'll be as clear as I possibly can for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

But she is a Demon Lord, which had always been cross setting things.

This statement is not true. Demon lords as a whole have not always been setting-agnostic in D&D. You have been provided with enough information to understand that. But never, ever, back down, right?

Edit: Some Demon lords may have been generic from the get-go, I don't know. Zuggtymoy was not generic. She was specific to Greyhawk from when she first appeared in the early '80s until a 3rd ed setting change (ret-con, whatever) in the mid 2000s.

Again, that word "always" is what makes your statement wrong.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

I'll be as clear as I possibly can for you.

This statement is not true. Demon lords have not always been setting-agnostic in D&D. You have been provided with enough information to understand that. But never, ever, back down, right?

Demon Lords have pretty much always been setting agnostic. And you never showed anything that said they have not been. Like them being setting agnostic is a trait of the game.

The fact that Zuggtmoy is a Demon Lord means she can be used in other settings with no fuss.

AlphaDog posted:

Edit: Some Demon lords may have been generic from the get-go, I don't know. Zuggtymoy was not generic. She was specific to Greyhawk from when she first appeared in the early '80s until a 3rd ed setting change (ret-con, whatever) in the mid 2000s.

Again, that word "always" is what makes your statement wrong.

Yes she was. She first appeared in a greyhawk product. But she was no more specific to Greyhawk then any other Demon Lord.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 11, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes she was. She first appeared in a greyhawk product. But she was no more specific to Greyhawk then any other Demon Lord.

First appeared in the early 80s, did not appear outside Greyhawk until the mid 2000s. Was not always generic no matter how often you repeat yourself.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like them being setting agnostic is a trait of the game.

It might be now, but not always, as evidenced from the above.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

First appeared in the early 80s, did not appear outside Greyhawk until the mid 2000s. Was not always generic no matter how often you repeat yourself.

It does not matter if she took her time to show up in generic D&D products. The fact that she was a Demon Lord means she could freely used in other settings with no fuss.

quote:

Zuggtmoy, Demoness Lady of Fungi, dread and fell ruler of the 222nd ghastly plane of the Abyss, aspired to establish her rule over a portion of the world. With the aid of Iuz, she formed the Temple of Elemental Evil and for a time wrought death, destruction, and great suffering. Then the forces of Good fought a campaign against her, and she was surprised and bound during the intaking of the Temple. The opposing clerics and magicusers confined her somewhere beneath the ground, reputedly with the aid of one or more deities.

She rules Layer 222. Which places her in the outer planes. Which means she can be used in anything featuring the planes.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Hmm. Iuz you say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iuz

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

It might be now, but not always, as evidenced from the above.

Your trying to say Demon Lords are not setting agnostic because Zuggtmoy only appeared in one product for a while.

When the situation is the opposite. Zuggtmoy despite being in only one product for a while is setting agnostic because Demon Lords and the Abyss are setting agnostic.

Iuz is a demi god not a Demon Lord. He is indeed a greyhawk thing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
So swallowing your tongue is a bad technique.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lpL870wV2A4/R_GI1iFKqQI/AAAAAAAAB08/eNYr8wmXKq0/s1600-h/MERP.png

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Iuz is a demi god not a Demon Lord. He is indeed a greyhawk thing.

Can you at least go for internally consistent stupid arguments? Iuz appears in 3.5's Complete Divine, which is not a greyhawk book, so by your own logic he has always been setting agnostic, it just took some time for him to appear elsewhere.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Can you at least go for internally consistent stupid arguments? Iuz appears in 3.5's Complete Divine, which is not a greyhawk book, so by your own logic he has always been setting agnostic, it just took some time for him to appear elsewhere.

He is explicitly called out as a Greyhawk Deity. And he is still not a Demon Lord. This is consistent.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 11, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is explicitly called out as a Greyhawk Deity. And he is still not a Demon Lord. This is consistent.

What are the key differences between a God and a Demon Lord that mean that one is inherently setting agnostic and the other is not?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

What are the key differences between a God and a Demon Lord that mean that one is inherently setting agnostic and the other is not?

Demon Lords since settings were a thing appeared across them if the Abyss and planes were a thing. Gods did on a case by case basis. Tiamat is worshiped in different settings. But Rao for example appears to be Greyhawk only.

If a setting features the Abyss the Demon Lords come with it by generic D&D. But Gods of other settings don't necessarily.

Anyway I am tired of this argument. And have made my point. Zuggtmoy is a generic D&D villain not a greyhawk one and at this point has appeared in generic D&D products for over 10 years. Even if you don't agree with me that Demon Lords were always setting agnostic, the fact remains she is setting agnostic now and this is not a new thing.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 11, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Demon Lords since settings were a thing appeared across them if the Abyss and planes were a thing.

Demonstrably false in the case of Zuggtmoy, who appeared in only one setting for more than 20 years. "Because it's always been like that" is a good enough argument for D&D stuff if it has always been like that.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gods did on a case by case basis.

As did Demon Lords, as demonstrated by the fact that not all of them always show up in all settings. Trytherion or Myshakal could show up in the next 5e module, but that wouldn't mean they've always been setting agnostic. Are you confusing default and generic, maybe?

MonsterEnvy posted:

If a setting features the Abyss the Demon Lords come with it by generic D&D. But Gods of other settings don't necessarily.

Anyway I am tired of this argument. And have made my point. Zuggtmoy is a generic D&D villain not a greyhawk one and at this point has appeared in generic D&D products for over 10 years. Even if you don't agree with me that Demon Lords were always setting agnostic, the fact remains she is setting agnostic now and this is not a new thing.

Repeating it again still doesn't make it true, you've just re-stated the same point again without supporting it.

Saying "even if you don't agree with me it's still true" doesn't make it true.

"For over 10 years" isn't the same as always.

"It's like that now" isn't the same as "it's always been like that".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 11, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

More like Dorks and Doners imo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Demonstrably false in the case of Zuggtmoy, who appeared in only one setting for more than 20 years. "Because it's always been like that" is a good enough argument for D&D stuff if it has always been like that.

Repeating it again still doesn't make it true, you've just made the same stupid point again without supporting it.

Saying "even if you don't agree with me it's still true" doesn't make it true.

"For over 10 years" isn't the same as always.

"It's like that now" isn't the same as "it's always been like that".

Just because she did not appear in other settings does not mean she's not allowed to. As a Demon Lord like the most generic orcs they can be put in pretty much any other setting.

I already have supported it because the Abyss and Demon Lords that are the same beings show up in tons of different settings from the start. While with god it depends.

I know you don't agree with me does not make something true. Vice Versa.

For 10 years is not the same as always and I never said it was, its like that now is not the same as its always been like that. Though in this case it always has been like that.

Here is were the entire point of my argument comes from. Demon Lords, Demons and the Abyss have always been a generic D&D thing and appear in lots of its settings. No matter what Zuggtmoys first appeared in what I am trying to say is that the adventure calls her a Demon Lord and says she lives in the abyss ruling a named layer. The fact that the Abyss exists in settings other then Greyhawk and always has since settings were a thing, means that Zuggtmoy being a Demon Lord that lives in the Abyss comes with it into that setting. It does not matter that it took 20 years for her to show up in a generic product. The fact that she is a Demon Lord that dwells in the Abyss means she counts as generic D&D. Because the Abyss and Demon Lords are generic D&D.

Even if you are still going to fight this I don't care. Zuggtmoy being a setting agnostic being is not a new thing. And that was the entire point of this argument. This is true. Even if you want to be a Pedantic rear end in a top hat and continue trying to argue that it was not "always" true. Right now and and for a pretty long time it is a fact.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 11, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is were the entire point of my argument comes from. Demon Lords, Demons and the Abyss have always been a generic D&D thing and appear in lots of its settings. No matter what Zuggtmoys first appeared in what I am trying to say is that the adventure calls her a Demon Lord and says she lives in the abyss ruling a named layer. The fact that the Abyss exists in settings other then Greyhawk and always has since settings were a thing, means that Zuggtmoy being a Demon Lord that lives in the Abyss comes with it into that setting. It does not matter that it took 20 years for her to show up in a generic product. The fact that she is a Demon Lord that dwells in the Abyss means she counts as generic D&D. Because the Abyss and Demon Lords are generic D&D.

But the same thing isn't true of gods, which also live on outer planes, such as the Abyss? Why not?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Even if you want to be a Pedantic rear end in a top hat and continue trying to argue that it was not "always" true. Right now and and for a pretty long time it is a fact.

You're admitting that it wasn't always true?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

You're admitting that it wasn't always true?

No thats you being a pedantic rear end in a top hat. Your going to just keep arguing it and I have given up on convincing you.

If my above paragraph does not convince you of my point then nothing will. Do you understand my point?

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

But the same thing isn't true of gods, which also live on outer planes, such as the Abyss? Why not?

Some Gods just don't have a following in other settings so they don't manifest there. Demons don't need worship. And Iuz is an example of a God that lives on the prime material plane of Greyhawk rather then the outer planes so he would be greyhawk exclusive.

Though Gods of different settings are able to meet in the planes. Which has been the focus of a few stories.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Do you even understand my point?

No.

The crux of your argument is that because the outer planes have always been a generic part of D&D, the demon lords which live on the outer planes and some of which appear in more than one setting, have always all been generic parts of D&D. Right?

You can't have that point and say that Gods, which also live on the outer planes and some of which appear in more than one setting, have not always all been generic parts of D&D.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 11, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Guys, for loving real, this is a terrible argument. Greyhawk was killed and looted for its stuff in 3e, which didn't have Greyhawk as a default setting so much as it wore Greyhawk's dessicated skin around as a suit.

MonsterEnvy is an idiot, but arguing about the purity of the forgotten loving realms of all things is stupid. It's stolen poo poo from greyhawk from the outset, because everything did since nearly everything in AD&D was greyhawk. From spells to monsters to artifacts to demihuman gods, alignment languages, and so on.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
This thread is :goonsay: as gently caress

Off topic (thankfully): In my campaign, there's a glass cannon half-orc barbarian with an AC of about 12 or 13. We're level 6 going on 7. What's a good item that can make her less squishy?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

MonsterEnvy is an idiot, but arguing about the purity of the forgotten loving realms of all things is stupid. It's stolen poo poo from greyhawk from the outset, because everything did since nearly everything in AD&D was greyhawk. From spells to monsters to artifacts to demihuman gods, alignment languages, and so on.

Uh no you see clearly everything that appears in more than one setting is generic D&D stuff except when it isn't.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

No.

The crux of your argument is that because the outer planes have always been a generic part of D&D, the demon lords which live on the outer planes and some of which appear in more than one setting, have always all been generic parts of D&D. Right?

You can't have that point and say that Gods, which also live on the outer planes and some of which appear in more than one setting, have not always all been generic parts of D&D.

Gods that do appear in multiple settings are generic D&D. But gods unlike Demons require followers. If they don't have representatives in a setting then they pretty much don't exist for that one.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Wand of Mage Armor?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

If they don't have representatives in a setting then they pretty much don't exist for that one.

Since when?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Heh. This is pretty good.

Anyway I get the point. Lets just cut it out Angrydog.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Noxin of Shame posted:

Off topic (thankfully): In my campaign, there's a glass cannon half-orc barbarian with an AC of about 12 or 13. We're level 6 going on 7. What's a good item that can make her less squishy?

Their dex and con bonus should both add to their AC. So I am guessing those are low.

Bracers of defence could be nice cause they don't count against unarmored defense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Noxin of Shame posted:

Cloak of Protection, Ring of Protection

At level 6/7, having an AC of 13 would, have you getting hit 55% of the time for "medium" difficulty encounters (CR 1/2 enemies), and 70% of the time at the harder end (CR 7 enemies).

And you would be about 3 AC behind the curve, since a kitted-out Fighter would be looking at anywhere between 16 to 18 AC at that level (without a shield).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Noxin of Shame posted:

If unarmored defense isn't doing the job, why not just wear medium armor?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Well thats a pretty good and elegant solution.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Noxin of Shame posted:

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yes this. If you're hitting AC12 with Unarmoured Defense, your dex mod has to be +0, +1, or +2, so throwing on half plate will immediately bring you up to 15, 16, or 17 depending.

How did they end up with only +2 or +3 between con and dex mods though? If they used the array and went STR 15, DEX 14, CON 13 then those scores would be 17, 14, 14 after picking half orc, and unarmoured defense would get them to AC 14 before any ASIs. Point buy could easily get them to a similar place.

e: Barbarian is the one class I can see going 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8 with point-buy. How bad would that screw you on saving throws though?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

Yes this. If you're hitting AC12 with Unarmoured Defense, your dex mod has to be +0, +1, or +2, so throwing on half plate will immediately bring you up to 15, 16, or 17 depending.

How did they end up with only +2 or +3 between con and dex mods though? If they used the array and went STR 15, DEX 14, CON 13 then those scores would be 17, 14, 14 after picking half orc, and unarmoured defense would get them to AC 14 before any ASIs. Point buy could easily get them to a similar place.

e: Barbarian is the one class I can see going 15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8 with point-buy. How bad would that screw you on saving throws though?

You would have decent scores in two good saves. So honestly not that much. (Though don't get in a fight with mind flayer or dudes that like to target mental saves.) Pretty much you have a big weakness but you are strong in a lot of other situations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Who gives a gently caress about a demon lord, nobody cares about a demon lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We are over that.