Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This is a very enjoyable game to be bad at. Got to the low teens left, I open up on a guy with a M16, almost kill him and then touch off WW3 as I die. Game goes from 14 left to 7 really fast.

I hope random modes show up, something like "only SMGs/pistols/bolt action rifles without scopes" every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Got second in solo! Out thought myself against the final guy, I was pretty sure he was holed up in a fuckboy shack, but then I got to think that maybe he had flanked out while I engaged another guy. He hadn't :( Still though, being there until the end is incredibly tense, and incredibly fun. For all its flaws, this game is a blast.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
http://i.imgur.com/KEn9Efc.mp4

:stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Can't help but be reminded of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BPBKDwf8UQ&t=190s

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Decided to pick up the game. First match: parachuted so far off I would die 5 times over before getting into the game zone. Second match: found nothing but gun attachments and shirts and got unceremoniously picked off. Third match: 6 kills Chicken Dinner :woop:

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Third match: 6 kills Chicken Dinner :woop:

Third match usually is running yourself over with a car.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Don't go up stairs in a group guys, it doesn't end well.
https://gfycat.com/ParallelAdoredDore

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WirelessPillow posted:

Don't go up stairs in a group guys, it doesn't end well.
https://gfycat.com/ParallelAdoredDore

Love how only the first guy is carrying a shotgun (which really shines this close) while everybody else just sinks all their bullets into the railing.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Love how only the first guy is carrying a shotgun (which really shines this close) while everybody else just sinks all their bullets into the railing.

Only reason I didn't have my shotgun out at the time was due to having spotted targets outside coming in, I was trying to get into position to shoot them. Turns out there were 2 groups attacking at once (though we thought it was 3).
I was the only survivor after the fight and running away from blue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pr5QGRlXQE

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
https://streamable.com/n7674

It must be COLLUSION!

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

!bluehole

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

WirelessPillow posted:

Only reason I didn't have my shotgun out at the time was due to having spotted targets outside coming in, I was trying to get into position to shoot them. Turns out there were 2 groups attacking at once (though we thought it was 3).
I was the only survivor after the fight and running away from blue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pr5QGRlXQE

"Throwing stun" :allears:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
This game is fun solo, but I don't think I have the steady hand required to win. I always end up with my hand shaking when aiming even up close, so that I miss half my shots.

The other day I hit a guy coming up the stairs from behind, and he turns around before I get my second shot off and just destroys me with a machine gun. That sort of crap is disheartening. Most of my positive outcomes are a result of sneaking around and mid to long distance engagements. Close up I almost always die, not sure how to remedy that.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

https://gfycat.com/VillainousFlawedDwarfrabbit

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

This game is fun solo, but I don't think I have the steady hand required to win. I always end up with my hand shaking when aiming even up close, so that I miss half my shots.

The other day I hit a guy coming up the stairs from behind, and he turns around before I get my second shot off and just destroys me with a machine gun. That sort of crap is disheartening. Most of my positive outcomes are a result of sneaking around and mid to long distance engagements. Close up I almost always die, not sure how to remedy that.

I'm going to channel my inner mcvey from the CS thread and tell you to "lower your drat sensitivity!" (it seriously might help).
Also you will get over the getting nervous thing in time. I remember tensing up every time i met an opponent in CS, and always fully committing to a fight even though I didn't get the best engagement, and loving up because of it. Getting over that was one of the things that helped me the most in CS. Of course this game doesn't have many similarities to CS but I feel in this instance it does a little.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I can't hit poo poo with any of the AR's in this game except the AKM for some weird rear end reason :psyduck:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Smooooooooth like the great taste of colt 45

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

this is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

bees everywhere posted:

Cyanidewolf, IAmAhnuld and I ran into JoshOG last night, 10:28-10:35 in this video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/141360865

The best part of that clip though is when another squad of 3 unbelievably fall for his bait and try to revive their teammates, with zero regard for the fact that there is a sniper actively shooting them in the head very accurately.

when i click on this link, it shows them playing some game where there in a cave, replacing fuses and stuff, shooting infected people, what game is that?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I did something similar last night in a solo match and was able to kill 2 people on the bridge.

Gate keeping the bridge owns

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Be sure to close the doors behind you when you loot a house

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTYymbbEL4

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Fried Watermelon posted:

Be sure to close the doors behind you when you loot a house

I mean, this goes without saying in this type of game.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
That feeling when you lose a game you could have easily won due to the 10 tickrate EU server so it looks like you got 1 shot in the head by an AKM with a level 3 helmet at full HP :thumbsup:

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Carebearz posted:

when i click on this link, it shows them playing some game where there in a cave, replacing fuses and stuff, shooting infected people, what game is that?

Sounds like Deceit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/466240/Deceit/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I heard last night that having all your graphics settings on the lowest besides view distance actually isn't ideal since it forces certain things to be rendered on the CPU rather than the GPU. Does anyone know what the best settings for performance are?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjU7_J2MKdw

turn on english subtitles

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Those loving filthy swedes are a bunch of lowlifes :arghfist: We should never have let them have Skåne back. They don't deserve it.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 11, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rex-Goliath posted:

I heard last night that having all your graphics settings on the lowest besides view distance actually isn't ideal since it forces certain things to be rendered on the CPU rather than the GPU. Does anyone know what the best settings for performance are?

My system runs best when I crank up anti aliasing to high and everything else to very low and screen scale to 100. Sometimes it seems post processing up to high also helps. I hosed with my nvidia settings for the game specifically as well and got my fps to 60-80 in menus, then it drops to 40-50 pregame lobby and finally down to 30 in game.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My system runs best when I crank up anti aliasing to high and everything else to very low and screen scale to 100. Sometimes it seems post processing up to high also helps. I hosed with my nvidia settings for the game specifically as well and got my fps to 60-80 in menus, then it drops to 40-50 pregame lobby and finally down to 30 in game.

How the hell do you get less in game than in the lobby?

Some people say that upping textures will also move some of the load to the GPU. I heard it was like distance + texture high if your GPU is way better than your CPU. It'll probably be different setup to setup anyways so just play around with it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

This is standard in every game and depends on your own system. When turn down some settings, like textures, your CPU has to compress them before it sends them to your GPU. If your GPU can handle the full res textures, you are just making the CPU do extra work. This all depends on where your bottleneck is though, its not a magic fix that will work for everyone.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

How the hell do you get less in game than in the lobby?

Some people say that upping textures will also move some of the load to the GPU. I heard it was like distance + texture high if your GPU is way better than your CPU. It'll probably be different setup to setup anyways so just play around with it.

No idea and I've spent so many hours messing with different combinations of settings to try and get a stable, decent framerate in game. I believe there was a setting to force the load to the gpu in my nvidia control panel. I see streamer's games look like butter and just assume they have a top of the line brand new system. I'm running a gtx 745 and i7 3770. The beginning of the plane ride is up to 18 fps instead of 12!!!!

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

what is a "good" solo ladder ranking?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

what is a "good" solo ladder ranking?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

No idea and I've spent so many hours messing with different combinations of settings to try and get a stable, decent framerate in game. I believe there was a setting to force the load to the gpu in my nvidia control panel. I see streamer's games look like butter and just assume they have a top of the line brand new system. I'm running a gtx 745 and i7 3770. The beginning of the plane ride is up to 18 fps instead of 12!!!!

I feel like looking at a stream makes it look deceptively smooth. Often I get higher frames than what many of the streams I watch that look smooth af but it can still feel a little funky in game when I play. I get about double the frames "in the wild" compared to at the island on average though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:vince: amazing

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eSporks posted:

This is standard in every game and depends on your own system. When turn down some settings, like textures, your CPU has to compress them before it sends them to your GPU. If your GPU can handle the full res textures, you are just making the CPU do extra work. This all depends on where your bottleneck is though, its not a magic fix that will work for everyone.

God drat it you have triggered my desire to nerd. Bolded is nonsense spread by people who don't understand 3d graphics programming fyi

I mean there's some grain of truth to it, in that it's possible your CPU does some work on texture data before uploading to GPU. But: this happens once, when the texture is loaded from disk, not every time a frame is drawn, and you expect less work if the texture setting is lower, not more.

The reason you expect less is that when you run a higher texture resolution a shitload of lower res versions of the same texture are uploaded to the GPU too. This is because when a texture's pixels are much smaller than screen pixels thanks to view distance, it's better to sample from a lower resolution version of the same texture that's already been filtered to look right at that distance. Google "mipmap" for more.

So, whenever a texture gets sent to the gpu, it's really several copies of the same image at different resolutions. If the highest setting is 8, when you move the slider from 8 to 7 you are telling the game "hey I don't care about looking at poo poo up close and seeing super detail so don't give the gpu copy #8", but copies 1-7 still get sent. The benefit to performance here is indirect - leaving out the highest res mipmap levels uses less GPU memory.

So in sum you don't really expect any increased cpu load at all. If the game stores precomputed mipmap levels on disk, all it has to do is leave out the higher res copies when uploading. If it's generating them on the fly, it has one (or more) less copies to generate when you turn textures down.

TLDR: please don't invent and/or spread urban legends about why an early access game has weird performance quirks, just roll with them

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This thread is 90% urban legends and pseudo science anyways but unironically thanks for the explanation on how it works

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
let's get back to streamerchat pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

ahem... *farts very loudly*

pubg streamers tier list and thoughts

rank S:
dr disrespect - fastest, most violent streamer, 6'8 freak of nature covered head to tippy toe in vaseline going 95mph down the waterslide to knock out olympic style swimming pools filled with punk kids. back to back 1993, 1994 blockbuster video game world champion. always winning. always lookin so dam good.

rank A:
pokimane - cute; spends a lot of time on her eyebrows (dislike: she has a boyfriend [why do all the good girls date jerks??? fuckin chad])
summit - big head; good at games not super interesting personality wise but usually wins games
all korean streamer girls - all comically rage at some point; i dont understand what they say so i can make up a narrative of how much they love me and want me to play the games with me. i personally enjoy the way asian women look and are traditionally portrayed as submissive so that is a big plUS

rank B:
imaqtpie - lazy lookin dude living the dream i am not jealous of him at all and he probably smells bad. fun fact he started boosted meme

rank F:
lirik/sacriel/joshog/everyone else - 💩

• Locked thread