Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't remember the specific details of that scene too much, but I remember myself agreeing with the points Dijkstra was making, in terms of being for the greater good, however I still took Roche's side because you don't turn your back on a bro, bro. So in that sense, it emotionally was an extremely well done scene for me, but it could be that I was just giving Dijkstra's plan more credit than it deserved, I don't remember exactly what it was at this point.

He started off making okay points but then explicitly said he was going to take over the whole north and unite it under his "enlightened rule." I actually would have been willing to at least hear him out but then when he decided to kill Roche (instead of just letting him walk away emptyhanded or whatever) I felt the same as you - gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

He started off making okay points but then explicitly said he was going to take over the whole north and unite it under his "enlightened rule." I actually would have been willing to at least hear him out but then when he decided to kill Roche (instead of just letting him walk away emptyhanded or whatever) I felt the same as you - gently caress that.

Now it's coming back to me--yeah his plan seemed flawed, but superior to the status quo and I would've gone along with it, but not if it meant killing Roche (and Ves, IIRC). I'll burn this whole loving continent down before I let you kill my buddy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah that choice was really weird. At first I thought Dijkstra was making some interesting points about Roche not having struck a very good deal with Nilfgaard, giving Emhyr too much in exchange for some vague promises of autonomy for Temeria. But then Dijkstra was like "lol gently caress everyone I'm going to rule Redania and take over the world" and he totally lost me, along with, I'm guessing, the vast majority of players.

Does Dijkstra give you anything if you side with him? How does choosing Dijkstra play out in the ending slides?

(spoiled your post cause this is kinda late-game stuff)

Siding with Dijkstra is the only way to get the ending in which Emhyr is assassinated. Dijkstra becomes the new ruler of Redania and without Nilfgaard to oppose him, more or less rules the Northern Realms. However, it's implied his rule is far more similar to Emhyr's than expected, so the more things change...

I don't think the game does a good job of giving you incentive to work for that ending, but it's my favorite one along the "Who rules?" axis.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bicyclops posted:

Siding with Dijkstra is the only way to get the ending in which Emhyr is assassinated. Dijkstra becomes the new ruler of Redania and without Nilfgaard to oppose him, more or less rules the Northern Realms. However, it's implied his rule is far more similar to Emhyr's than expected, so the more things change...

I don't think the game does a good job of giving you incentive to work for that ending, but it's my favorite one along the "Who rules?" axis.

Is Emhyr actually a bad ruler? Obviously he's a warmonger with all of the awful poo poo that that entails, but putting that aside, I didn't get the impression that Emhyr was a bad dude in the same way that say, Radovid is, or that Nilfgaard is actually a bad place to live. He seemed like a relatively reasonable guy, if kind of a dick. I never played the first two games, though.

e: I guess he did hang a ton of guys for very vague plotting against him in the ending that I got.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 10, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Is Emhyr actually a bad ruler? Obviously he's a warmonger with all of the awful poo poo that that entails, but putting that aside, I didn't get the impression that Emhyr was a bad dude in the same way that say, Radovid is, or that Nilfgaard is actually a bad place to live. He seemed like a relatively reasonable guy, if kind of a dick. I never played the first two games, though.

I don't remember anything specific that Emhyr does, but Nilfgaard shares too much aesthetic similarity with the Nazis for me to feel good about anything they do, I just assume they're evil.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Siding with Dijkstra is the only way to get the ending in which Emhyr is assassinated.

Pretty sure that happens if Radovid wins as well. It is the fact that Redania holds off Nilfgaard until the latter is forced to withdraw for political reasons under the leadership of either Radovid or Dijkstra that leads to Emhyr's assasination.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nilfgaardians are fine if you are okay with authoritarian rule with severe austerity measures and harsh punishment if you step out of line. That said, they are an empire first and an occupying force second. Nilfgaardian protectorates like Touissant and Temeria are self governed, so long as they play by the Empire's rules in international affairs.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Every ruler is an rear end, when looked at from the perspective of a lot of people are going to be living awful existences because of the way things are, especially during war. But I was always under the impression that Emhyr wasn't so bad as long as you weren't too low or too high in his society, Foltest was the "best" we ever saw and he was a condescending piece of poo poo who could give two fucks for the downtrodden or the peasants. And then there's Radovid. That piece of work. Yeah, that chess scene is very unnerving.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Calanthe and Meve are actually the best. Iron fisted Lioness of Cintra and the Warrior Queen of Rivia. Foltest is only good by virtue of his contemporaries being jackals.
Tankred might be alright but he's too far north to have much influence apart from bank rolling his enemies to fight each other while he sits in the far north.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bicyclops posted:

Dijkstra ushers in a minor industrial revolution in Redania and brings the country kicking and screaming into the modern age.

It's actually not that bad of an ending really. A setup of Cerys, Djikstra, and Voorhis would probably lead to a relatively stable situation and overall benefit of the subject peoples.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Foltest is too horny to be evil. Best king for the Witcher universe.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nilfgaardians are fine if you are okay with authoritarian rule with severe austerity measures and harsh punishment if you step out of line.

And slavery.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'm pretty sure either in the story somewhere or in the ending it was said that Emhyr is actually a kind of weak ruler who overcompensates with ruthlessness and gets couped the second they're not at war anymore.
Also, I chose Dijkstra solely because I found his character entertaining. If I hadn't read the books (he was one of my favorite characters) or had been roleplaying in any way, I probably would have picked Roche.
Oh also, Roche hardly does anything in the game anyway and IIRC Ves won't even have a conversation with you.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It would have been a harder choice if siding with Dijkstra didn't also mean immediately murdering your friends.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It helps not playing the previous games, because I didn't really like Roche either, his agreement to join the battle notwithstanding. I guess if I had played Witcher 2, I'd probably care a lot more about him.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

He's kind of a dick in 2, blackmails Geralt into tracking down the king killer even though he very well knows he's innocent.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Re: Djikstra

Choices aren't meant to be equivalent in this game, though. Some choices seem like a better deal or q more likely thing based on the narrative because they are. The choices are there to give you options and not force your hand.

See also: Triss and Yenn not being equivalent choices, at all.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Never played a Witcher game before 3 and I'm starting on 2 now.

Hopefully it's just as good (lol)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Choices aren't meant to be equivalent in this game, though. Some choices seem like a better deal or q more likely thing based on the narrative because they are. The choices are there to give you options and not force your hand.

If they're not meant to be equivalent, that makes the original question even more poignant. Why are those choices even in the game then?
Since you brought up Triss/Yen: I simply do not understand why they wrote two games where it seems like Triss is Geralt's true love and only touch on Yen in flashbacks, and then suddenly they go all-out with Yen content. They could have at least had just as much story with Triss for the people who only played the games.
I'm not complaining about them finally including Yen cause she is so clearly the best, but it's just a weird choice in writing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GrossMurpel posted:

If they're not meant to be equivalent, that makes the original question even more poignant. Why are those choices even in the game then?
Since you brought up Triss/Yen: I simply do not understand why they wrote two games where it seems like Triss is Geralt's true love and only touch on Yen in flashbacks, and then suddenly they go all-out with Yen content. They could have at least had just as much story with Triss for the people who only played the games.
I'm not complaining about them finally including Yen cause she is so clearly the best, but it's just a weird choice in writing.

It adds to replay value, especially if it's the first Witcher game you play and you don't read spoilers. I made some sub-optimal choices and now I'm anticipating my next run even more.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Finally doing a replay of this game, about a full year on after beating it my first time around.

This game is such a rich experience, and I love how meaningful my blind choices were--I chose Triss over Yennefer because I had no history with Yen and liked Triss' personality more. It created this wonderful family dynamic, like I was chartering Geralt and Ciri through a kind of complicated divorce, which added this wrinkle to their relationship that was totally of my doing. That's to say nothing of all the myriad incredible experiences and encounters I had without knowing what my outcomes would be; some good, some bad, but I always felt the choice I made was meaningful and I had what I needed to make that choice, so I didn't feel a need to save scum (very often) to "game" an outcome to my liking.

So for my replay I wanna do a 100 percent run, or close enough as sanity has it, and see what other choices I can make. I'll probably choose Yen this time around, see how that dynamic happens, and I know a few quests I basically ended "early" that I'll try to see through. Something about a succubus...

Either way, I'm really loving jazzed to sink into this game again. I don't know really how to articulate how or why everything the Witcher 3 does works, only that it's so loving engaging from the word go, and it's such an amazing testament to what adventure games can be.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this. Why offer a choice if one way is clearly inferior narratively? To clarify, the results or the meat of the choice do not need to be palatable, but there should be some narrative reason for the alternative choice.

In a game of excellent narrative choices, it stands out to me as a low point.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

It is ok, will definately fill the lore gaps you may of had

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think they were trying to make most choices equivalent, just didn't always succeed. Like Yen/Triss, Bloody Baron or Ciri's two good endings, both have some merrit as shown by how much these get discussed. Then you have Djisstrika or skellinge's choice between Cerys and what's his name, where one is clearly supperior.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It would have probably been better if the consequences for choosing Dijkstra came later so you'd pick a side on the merits of the political arguments alone. For example Roche + friends would make a failed assassination attempt and end up in jail/on death row. It would basically be the same outcome but would prevent Dijkstra from going all comic book villain out of his character and Geralt from being given crass paragon/renegade options to choose from.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 11, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

It is ok, will definately fill the lore gaps you may of had

I made it through the tutorial and started playing Witcher 3 again.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

me too! On 360. I've heard it's definitely more linear and more segmented. Which is fine. Going to beat 2 then do Blood and Wine then start 3 from scratch and do it all over again.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Why's no one playing 1 first?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GrossMurpel posted:

Why's no one playing 1 first?

Because it is a bastard to run, has extremely dated controls, and 90% of players quit by the time they reach the swamp.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thinking about that swamp makes me want to install the game just so I can uninstall it again

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's the deal with the swamp? Just curious.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's bad. That's essentially it. It's a boring slog that you have to backtrack into and out of a whole bunch for a lot of quests.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's really not that bad, you can just run past all the drowners from NPC to NPC :shrug:
Makes for a fun moment as well in W2 when you try to find the Kayran nest or whatever with Triss and run across a pack of drowners for the first time in that game. "Hah drowners, that's cute" *cut to Geralt getting his poo poo wrecked*

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A classic green/grey swamp is a really boring setting that by its nature prevents good level design from happening but because it's basically a desert with fog it's not a memory hog and is realtively easy to create so many RPG games go for it for 'variety'.

I like how swamps work in TW3 where they're seamlessly built into the world map and don't overstay their welcome but TW1 just dumped you into a big enclosed level looking like this:

for hours and hours on end so it's not strange that a lot of people lost interest.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The worst thing about that swamp were the invisible walls, had to go all the way around everything each time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People in the Unpopular VG opinions thread keep saying W2>W3 and I can't fathom any metric that you could use to arrive there.

People talk about W2 story being more grounded but it really isn't, it's still about dragons and witches and elves (as fantasy Swiss people) and the Foltest quest chain is so loving boooooooring and the Lizard People city is cool but they do nothing with it. I beat it on whatever it's hardest setting was and the only times I died after the first hour was in the Ghost army section where you are a regular soldier with no powers.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Swiss? It's fantasy Dithmarschen.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Palpek posted:

A classic green/grey swamp is a really boring setting that by its nature prevents good level design from happening but because it's basically a desert with fog it's not a memory hog and is realtively easy to create so many RPG games go for it for 'variety'.

I like how swamps work in TW3 where they're seamlessly built into the world map and don't overstay their welcome but TW1 just dumped you into a big enclosed level looking like this:

for hours and hours on end so it's not strange that a lot of people lost interest.

For hours? What the gently caress
You go in there like 3 times and maybe talk to the Dryads and villagers a few times. I'll shut up about it since I'm clearly in the minority though, maybe I'm just more tolerant of bad world design.

Bust Rodd posted:

People in the Unpopular VG opinions thread keep saying W2>W3 and I can't fathom any metric that you could use to arrive there.

People talk about W2 story being more grounded but it really isn't, it's still about dragons and witches and elves (as fantasy Swiss people) and the Foltest quest chain is so loving boooooooring and the Lizard People city is cool but they do nothing with it. I beat it on whatever it's hardest setting was and the only times I died after the first hour was in the Ghost army section where you are a regular soldier with no powers.

Well if those people don't like Ciri then already about 90% of the story in W3 will fall flat. Maybe they don't like the open world either. Also you gotta admit that the story kinda loses steam after Kaer Morhen.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 11, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL yeah I just fished KM and stalled out grinding for Witcher Gear. I am waiting for the DLC to get VERY cheap before I jump back in.

My backlog is
Beat Prey 2 more times
Beat Neir 4 more times

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Witcher 3 is obviously better than W2, by a lot. A lot of little things made W2 kind of a beating to play compares to W3. I couldn't bother to finish W2 and W3 is like crack to me.