Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Didn't they run this whole "drag us back to the 70's" thing when Miliband ran? At this point labour really should just run on revoking personal property and central planning because the outpourings from the media will be the same regardless.

e: 1980 was the end of the 1970s, often described as "the worst period in Britain's history ever" by media hacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

Isn't there a danger that if corbyn fails miserably in the election, it will discredit this ambitious manifesto?

labour's losing miserably regardless of anything so might as well at least have some principles about it

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
What's wrong with nationalising, besides the neoliberals spitting out the usual garbage e.g. "state-run companies are inefficient, it will generate deficit, we need free market and austerity"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
shut up commie don't u know stalin killed 3000000000000000000000 people

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pochoclo posted:

What's wrong with nationalising, besides the neoliberals spitting out the usual garbage e.g. "state-run companies are inefficient, it will generate deficit, we need free market and austerity"
It's popular and something Labour should definitely be running under even if they move back towards the centre in future.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pochoclo posted:

The people who own newspapers also own shares in sold off utilities. They also resent being made to pay their fair share, no one is less easily separated from their money than those who can most afford it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That Corbyn dude sure is crazy with his insane corporation tax plans!

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9206

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ThomasPaine posted:

fair play david baxter fair play. hell of a thing when even people who outright say they are tories are telling everyone to just simmer down for a single solitary second and actually think things through.

lol laffer curve

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MrL_JaKiri posted:

lol laffer curve

a hypothetical of what you being wrong might look like exists ergo you are proven wrong and also from the 70s

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Some good policies getting lost in the noise of the manifesto leak:

- Reduce the voting age to 16

- Extend the right to abortion to Northern Ireland

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jabby posted:

Can't be done without taking justice powers back from the Assembly which they wont consent to or a complete collapse and suspension of the Assembly and a total assumption of all their powers

So basically a pointless promise that sounds nice on paper and i doubt if collapse does finally happen Labour will go against the SDLP, DUP & UUP (all sitting NI MPs)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A more imminently practical and immediately achievable goal would be to amend the NHS Act 2006 to extend free access to anyone ordinarily resident in United Kingdom as opposed to the current wording of Great Britain, which would immediately allow Northern Irish women free access to abortion services in England which they are currently denied

edit: you'd have to insert some language about secondary care access but the fundamental principle that there are easier more immediately actionable policy proposals available if you actually want to effect a material difference as a Westminster government before becoming the bull in the constitutional China shop

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 11, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Man Britain is hosed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/business/dealbook/brexit-uk-london-banking.html?_r=0

quote:

That prospect was seemingly enhanced this week as France elected as its next president, Emmanuel Macron, who has vowed to ensure that Britain emerges the weaker from negotiations. He has promised to fight any agreement preserving access to Europe for London-based financial services companies, while openly calling for bankers to decamp for Paris.

“It’s the British who will lose the most,” Mr. Macron said in a pre-election interview with the global affairs magazine Monocle. “The British are making a serious mistake over the long term.”

If a rupture across the channel results, global banks like Citi stand to feel significant consequences.

Somewhere between one-fifth and one-third of London’s financial undertakings now involve clients based in Europe. Much of this business is dependent on so-called passports that give financial firms in one European Union nation permission to operate in the others. Free of a deal preserving the essentials of passport rights, many of these trades would be effectively illegal. The rules and regulatory proclivities of 27 remaining European Union nations would have to be satisfied.

“I wouldn’t even be able to service some clients, theoretically, once the U.K. exits,” says Jerome Kemp, a New Yorker who is Citi’s global head of futures, clearing and collateral at its London headquarters. “If the client driving the order is sitting in the European Union, then we’ve got a problem.”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People really shouldn't be shocked when Tory papers rip into the Labour manifesto. It's how the Labour supporting papers handle it that matters.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The more I think about the leak the more I think its been leaked deliberately by Corbyn's people. It just makes so much sense to leak it as it gives Labour tons of coverage across the whole press, while just releasing the manifesto as normal will just be given little press.

I could well see Labour increase its poll share as well, as the only thing contentious in it is the driverless trains bit. Its a good manifesto.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

learnincurve posted:

People really shouldn't be shocked when Tory papers rip into the Labour manifesto. It's how the Labour supporting papers handle it that matters.

All.......1.5 of them?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Don't worry everyone

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/862555631319793665

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can't wait to see my dad at the weekend and hear that if I was around for the 'bad old days' of the 70s I wouldn't even consider voting Labour.

Boomers are such easy targets.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Chucat posted:

All.......1.5 of them?

Well there's the Morning Star (lol) and.... um... well

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"We are going to build a monorail to scotland and make the rich cunts pay for it!" - Jeremy Corbyn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Whenever anyone says "Labour want to take us back to the 1970s" I want to say that the Tories want to take us back to the 1870s.

Or maybe 1912.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

Well there's the Morning Star (lol) and.... um... well

For some reason I thought the Mirror was pro Labour (and I'm counting the Morning Star as half a paper)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The Mirror's really weird. Every now and then they exhibit Correct thought, but usually ruin it with some spiteful article sneering at poors or foreigns.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Oberleutnant posted:

The Mirror's really weird. Every now and then they exhibit Correct thought, but usually ruin it with some spiteful article sneering at poors or foreigns.

They generally don't splash it all over the front page like the Heil, Scum and Express though

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

A good manifesto, definitely heading in the right direction.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Why is not sending 'are boys' off to die in a war a bad thing lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
“My achievement has been to take an issue that was considered to be completely wrong, perhaps even immoral, and help to turn it into a mainstream view in British politics.”

-Nigel Farage

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Give me my gun, I can go on no longer."

-Hitler, probably

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

jabby posted:

Some good policies getting lost in the noise of the manifesto leak:

- Reduce the voting age to 16

I'm really glad of the voting age reduction being in there, not just because I thinks its a loving sham that at 16 you're considered old enough to work, pay tax and join the forces, but not vote, but also because it indicates that Labour aren't following the US Democrats mistake of rolling over to every attempt to stop their supporters getting to the ballot box (voter ID, gerrymandering & electoral spending).

Pochoclo posted:

The only solution neoliberals can find for literally everything is create a market to foster competition, even in a situation where the competition makes no sense whatsoever. Hence why the USA got poo poo like the ACA instead of actually going for something bold like single payer.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm really glad of the voting age reduction being in there, not just because I thinks its a loving sham that at 16 you're considered old enough to work, pay tax and join the forces, but not vote, but also because it indicates that Labour aren't following the US Democrats mistake of rolling over to every attempt to stop their supporters getting to the ballot box (voter ID, gerrymandering & electoral spending).

Get married, have actual children... yeah, the 18+ voting age is an absolute sham.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

hakimashou posted:

“My achievement has been to take an issue that was considered to be completely wrong, perhaps even immoral, and help to turn it into a mainstream view in British politics.”

-Nigel Farage

"Pull up pull up pull up!"
-Nigel Farage

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hakimashou posted:

-Nigel Farage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i hate the newspapers in this country so much

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Red Oktober posted:

Get married, have actual children... yeah, the 18+ voting age is an absolute sham.

I'd rather things like those be raised to 18 than have the voting age lowered to 16.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
That Brexiteer betting on Le Pen thing on twitter turned out to be a hoax - some PR guy trying to stir the pot a bit.
Thing is he assumed the identity of a real person for his joke:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/09/colin-johnson-wollygogg-twitter-hoax-marine-le-pen-bet

The Graun spoke to the guy whose identity got stolen and he gave an antifascist quote for the ages:

quote:

“Anyone who knows me, I’m not fascist, I’m not into none of that bollocks whatsoever.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

I'd rather things like those be raised to 18 than have the voting age lowered to 16.
Better yet, ban them both. Save a lot of trouble in the long run.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

That Brexiteer betting on Le Pen thing on twitter turned out to be a hoax - some PR guy trying to stir the pot a bit.
Thing is he assumed the identity of a real person for his joke:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/09/colin-johnson-wollygogg-twitter-hoax-marine-le-pen-bet

The Graun spoke to the guy whose identity got stolen and he gave an antifascist quote for the ages:

Didn't someone in the thread find out the real guy is a Sovereign Citizen type?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Change the voting age to 18-50 imho.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
How come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

HJB posted:

First time an SA post has ever advocated raising the age of sexual consent

• Locked thread