Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't mind the texts in general but there are a lot of little "boy that palace situation is sure happening" scenes throughout the game that pile up and I started skipping through as I got closer to the end. I guess they really didn't want people to completely forget about them but it's kinda excessive to have the texts, the before school chats, the after school texts, etc all going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
A lot of the game's pacing is strange if you one day clear a palace ASAP, text messages included.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

That is also true of most Persona games, really. I remember burning out on Persona 4 the first time I played it because I cleared the shadow Mitsuo dungeon super early and the next plot event didn't happen for over a month, so I just got bored.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This was the first Persona game where I wanted to blow through the dungeon so I could get back to the social links, normally it's the other way around

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really liked the dungeons this time around, but I wanted to max all the confidants and I didn't want to religiously follow a guide, so it was one day clears all the way for me. I enjoyed that, though--the dungeons in this are a big step up from Persona 3/4 and of them all, only the third one was unpleasant to do in one day. The first one was challenging but still entertaining, and I actually thought the second Palace was too short.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This was the first Persona game where I wanted to blow through the dungeon so I could get back to the social links, normally it's the other way around

Strange considering how poor the dungeons were in the previous 2 games.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Honestly none of the dungeons in the game were very good, although they were pretty much all better by default than the randomly generated samey dungeons of the previous games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love that you can give Futaba equipment for no reason. I equipped her with a space suit for basically the whole game. I figured she'd approve.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 11, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

Honestly none of the dungeons in the game were very good, although they were pretty much all better by default than the randomly generated samey dungeons of the previous games.

I don't know what a "good" jrpg dungeon looks like but p5's probably came close if i'm being honest.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know what a "good" jrpg dungeon looks like but p5's probably came close if i'm being honest.

Persona 5's were very good and honestly it'll be hard to go back to any JRPG, let alone Persona 3/4 with their randomly generated dungeons.

The only part I didn't like was (huge shocker) the vault part of palace 3. Even palace 5 I'd probably just cut out one room, any room.

The most thrilling though was definitely Kamoshida. Great villain and I actually felt a strain on my resources, to the point that I had to resort to stealth at the very end.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Like every Persona 5 dungeon has really memorable set pieces and you certainly can't say that about every JRPG.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I will always remember the giant set piece gamecube in that one Tales of Symphonia dungeon.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

While the random dungeons in 3/4 weren't great, I liked them in the fact that they felt very predictable in that you knew it was 8-11 floors of dungeon and so it was very easy to pace yourself. In 5 I felt like almost every single dungeon barring the 2nd one just kept bombarding me with "oh, we're so close, just this one last thing!" over and over and so you never have a real grasp with how close you are to the end. Palace 5 I ended up having to leave and come back to finish the last zone because I got tricked by Mona telling me we were at the last door like five times.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I liked Nocturne's dungeons way way more than anything in Persona 5, but that might be because I can leave and heal any time and not lose anything.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Last time I enjoyed JRPG dungeons as much as I did in P5 was probably Skies of Arcadia and that might just be nostalgia talking.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Finished this game yesterday.
What an awesome ride to the end.

Mayor END spoilers

I did not see fake Igor coming at all. At the beginning his voice threw me off. I remember Igor sounding much differently. but just chalked it up to the original japanese VO having died. Then Igor started to act out of character. Still didn't connect the dots. And then It turns out it wasn't Igor at all. Brilliant. that was an awesome twist.

One thing I still haven't figured out. When you get rank 10 with judgment it unlocks the skill ??????????. It stayed that even at the last day. Was there something I could do at the end?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sefal posted:

Finished this game yesterday.
What an awesome ride to the end.

Mayor END spoilers

I did not see fake Igor coming at all. At the beginning his voice threw me off. I remember Igor sounding much differently. but just chalked it up to the original japanese VO having died. Then Igor started to act out of character. Still didn't connect the dots. And then It turns out it wasn't Igor at all. Brilliant. that was an awesome twist.

One thing I still haven't figured out. When you get rank 10 with judgment it unlocks the skill ??????????. It stayed that even at the last day. Was there something I could do at the end?

I'm pretty sure that the ability of True Justice just lets you not get shot in the skull by the traitor. Not getting to Judgement rank 10 gives you the bad end.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ROFL Octopus posted:

Even palace 5 I'd probably just cut out one room, any room.

Palace 5 felt so padded, and despite it not taking much longer than most of the other palaces on my NG+ it just feels like it never ends. Even Ryuji complains about how it never seems to end when you enter one of the factory areas, so I wonder if even the creators didn't think it was too padded :v:

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
That was the one palace (so far) in NG+ that still felt long. Every other one was quick, with knowing what you are supposed to do beforehand. I'm starting palace 7 right now

Barracks puzzle is easy though if you remember the rooms you have to visit. But maybe remove the first factory puzzle or the first airlock.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm pretty sure that the ability of True Justice just lets you not get shot in the skull by the traitor. Not getting to Judgement rank 10 gives you the bad end.

Ah I see I just thought it was something like Persona 4. where at the last day. there's still something to do

Man I really liked Persona 4 but Persona 5 just clowns on everything it does except the final boss music. Persona 4 still has the best final boss soundtrack.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Sefal posted:

Ah I see I just thought it was something like Persona 4. where at the last day. there's still something to do

Man I really liked Persona 4 but Persona 5 just clowns on everything it does except the final boss music. Persona 4 still has the best final boss soundtrack.

The Genesis isn't even the best boss theme in P4.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sefal posted:

Yeah I thought it was going to lead to something else too.

I thought it was going to eventually be baton pass skills and such for Sae, as something of a replacement for Goro. But alas, it was not to be.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Persona 4's final boss track is garbage, though.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I felt that Genesis was a good fit for that fight. It felt epic. Last step to victory. It still stuck to me to this day as one of the more memorable boss fights because of the soundtrack

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

When you say Persona 4 final boss theme, my first thought always goes to The Almighty first.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

While the random dungeons in 3/4 weren't great, I liked them in the fact that they felt very predictable in that you knew it was 8-11 floors of dungeon and so it was very easy to pace yourself. In 5 I felt like almost every single dungeon barring the 2nd one just kept bombarding me with "oh, we're so close, just this one last thing!" over and over and so you never have a real grasp with how close you are to the end. Palace 5 I ended up having to leave and come back to finish the last zone because I got tricked by Mona telling me we were at the last door like five times.

it's also weirdly lopsided at first, the main part of palace 1 is huge for the stage of the game you're at since you have almost no resources

Saagonsa posted:

Wrongest Opinion Award Of 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

I hope you don't mean the one that burst into Reach Out For The Truth at one point.

And now you should imagine that if PlatinumGames were the ones making it because it'd be synced 100% perfectly with the coolest thing ever.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, I love 6 minutes of pure ambiance and 1 minute of a remixed reach out to the truth at the end. That's great final boss music.

Like, the reach out to the truth is really good, but the buildup is not even close to worth it.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 11, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, I love 6 minutes of pure ambiance and 1 minute of a remixed reach out to the truth at the end. That's great final boss music.

Like, the reach out to the truth is really good, but the buildup is not even close to worth it.

sorry but it synchs up really well with the fight in general

especially the "I...AM A GOD" part at the beginning

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Now Atlus just needs to release a HD remaster of DDS 1,2 and Nocturne.
Would Dante being in Nocturne cause issues for a potential remaster / remake?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sefal posted:

they already have a Raidou version of nocturne that we never got which solves that problem

(his everything-amp also gets Pierce which dante never got)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yinlock posted:

sorry but it synchs up really well with the fight in general

especially the "I...AM A GOD" part at the beginning

If it actually synced with the fight at all instead of just looping the same 7 minute track over and over again, maybe.

Sefal posted:

There's a Japan exclusive version of Nocturne where Dante is replaced with Raidou, so if they ever released an HD version of Nocturne it'd probably be that version.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

If it actually synced with the fight at all instead of just looping the same 7 minute track over and over again, maybe.

wait is your complaint that the bgm loops because uh

i have unfortunate news

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Awesome, that solves that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I still think of Aspect Raidou everytime I see Raidou and [laugh internally]

Saagonsa posted:

It's good

Fog is better obviously

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the best thing about p5 besides the entire game is that we have a whole new set of resuable 3d demon models which means it's time for more wacky spinoffs :woop:

raidou owned and p3's entire gameplay shift came as a result of :effort: (or rather, shoestring budget so let's find a way to reuse the same assets a bunch) so i'm looking forward to SMT Tennis or whatever the hell's coming next

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

There's a Japan exclusive version of Nocturne where Dante is replaced with Raidou, so if they ever released an HD version of Nocturne it'd probably be that version.

I want a remake of Noctune where they lower encounter rates and add safety mode.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yinlock posted:

wait is your complaint that the bgm loops because uh

i have unfortunate news

My complaint is that it's 6 minutes of buildup for a 1 minute payoff on loop. That's really not good when it loops multiple times in the fight.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Alder posted:

I want a remake of Noctune where they lower encounter rates and add safety mode.

didn't the U.S version already have a lowered encounter rate

i mean we got the version for tiny babies and it kicked our asses, original nocturne hated you on an extremely personal level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Matador was amazing
Wait what. He gives himself more turns!?