Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

suboptimal posted:

So let's say that the eventual outcome of this whole sordid shitshow is that there is credible evidence showing that there was collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians, including Trump himself. What happens next? Can the president be impeached for crimes committed before they took office? Can the president be indicted should the legislature decline to impeach? If the Republican-led legislature declines to impeach, how do the Democrats react to this?

It's a pretty scary feeling when you realize that democracy's institutions are only as strong as the people who make them up, and those people are idiots and assholes.

I am under the impression that nothing protects the president from stuff that happened before he became president and there are specific precidents saying so relating to Bill Clinton and now stuff being pursued in court against Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They were more than happy to go after Bill for stuff that happened or was alleged to have happened before his presidency.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Casimir Radon posted:

They were more than happy to go after Bill for stuff that happened or was alleged to have happened before his presidency.

Ultimate irony would be to to Kenneth Star for this.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Casimir Radon posted:

As part of the broader attacks on his presidency, yes. As part of the impeachment, no.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

My family still blames Hillary's emails for all this so I doubt it will mean anything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

bird food bathtub posted:

They can impeach for basically anything they want. (Like a blowjob)

Or perjury.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

suboptimal posted:

So let's say that the eventual outcome of this whole sordid shitshow is that there is credible evidence showing that there was collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russians, including Trump himself. What happens next? Can the president be impeached for crimes committed before they took office? Can the president be indicted should the legislature decline to impeach? If the Republican-led legislature declines to impeach, how do the Democrats react to this?

It's a pretty scary feeling when you realize that democracy's institutions are only as strong as the people who make them up, and those people are idiots and assholes.

So let's say the eventual outcome of this whole sordid shitshow is that there is credible evidence showing that there was collusion to stifle any investigation into impropriety within the GOP after said impropriety has been exposed to the public...

Nah

Let's say you're a humble Jedi witnessing the sith rise to power, what actions do you take? Don't actually answer this question in written form, but theoretically...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Join the winning side obvi

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

So let's say the eventual outcome of this whole sordid shitshow is that there is credible evidence showing that there was collusion to stifle any investigation into impropriety within the GOP after said impropriety has been exposed to the public...

Nah

Let's say you're a humble Jedi witnessing the sith rise to power, what actions do you take? Don't actually answer this question in written form, but theoretically...

murder younglings

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

murder younglings

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

and by murder younglings I mean appoint betsy devos to erode the future of our children by gutting public education because lol

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
You mean Jeff Sessions, surely. He's a far more literal example.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

and by murder younglings I mean appoint betsy devos to erode the future of our children by gutting public education because lol

Jeff Sessions is the result of what happens when Billy Bob gets up in his sister's guts

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

bird food bathtub posted:

welp we're hosed.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

You mean Jeff Sessions, surely. He's a far more literal example.

The next administration can fix health care problems, stomp out corruption etc but it can't undo problems with a flawed education system that turns out uneducated students. Not to mention left leaning teachers going 'gently caress this'

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Who makes up a grand jury?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Reverand maynard posted:

The next administration can fix health care problems, stomp out corruption etc but it can't undo problems with a flawed education system that turns out uneducated students. Not to mention left leaning teachers going 'gently caress this'

Oh I don't disagree. I'm just saying murdered younglings becomes very literal under the guidance of a racist keebler elf head of Justice.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Reverand maynard posted:

Who makes up a grand jury?

Registered voters, randomly chosen.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

sharknado slashfic posted:

My family still blames Hillary's emails for all this so I doubt it will mean anything.

My social media is just people pointing how democrats are hypocrites because they wanted him fired when it was ~emails~ but now they're complaining and people yelling at the top of their lungs over and over that healthcare is not a right. The willful ignorance and denial is impenetrable. There will be no see the light moment. It will have always been a conspiracy theory or the refusal of the left to give dumbass a chance or anything but his own failures and wrong doings.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wait what is this that the trump may have inadvertently waived his executive privilege for russia by writing the comey letter

also latest polls showing 36% approval rating which were done before the comey letter. jfc.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 11, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wait what is this that the trump may have inadvertently waived his executive privilege for russia by writing the comey letter

also latest polls showing 36% approval rating which were done before the comey letter. jfc.

You kinda can't say I'M NOT GONNA TALK ABOUT IT when you already talked about it. Executive privilege is either something you cite completely, or that's it, in general.

As for the 36%, that's from the Quinnipiac poll, which is Donnie's worst. Gallup is at 40%. So, he's still in poo poo territory, but republican ranks are still closed on this Comey thing, so don't expect any kind of movement on any of this stuff.

Also, big Lester Holt interview with Donnie around lunchtime today. We'll see what he says and if NBC puts out any advance clips.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Make way for president Paul Ryan.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

If true and Trump and Pence both get impeached, then we get President Ryan.

Edit: gently caress

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ryan would be far less damaging as president than he is as speaker of the house. He's only interested in wonkish Randian bullshit, not fascist demagoguery, and is an obvious pushover who will be walked all over by the cabinet heads.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/862641882983215105

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

What a bunch of amaterus, what did they expect to happen?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Mr. Nice! posted:

...so this entire thing has been Paul Ryan playing the long game the entire time. Truly he is IRL Frank Underwood

:v::respek::tinfoil:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
]

The level of naivety in this Administration is incredibly disturbing. I don't even think Trump knowingly worked with Russia he's just like the easiest Mark a Case officer could ever have this is a man who is manipulated by cable television in Fox & Friends in the morning how easy do you think it would be for career soviet intelligence officer to push his buttons? Seriously, a 70 year old narcissistic megalomaniac who was motivated primarily by ego and secondary by money it's like textbook poo poo.

I wanna see those RNC emails

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Are we in a House of Cards episode?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Waroduce posted:

]

The level of naivety in this Administration is incredibly disturbing. I don't even think Trump knowingly worked with Russia he's just like the easiest Mark a Case officer could ever have this is a man who is manipulated by cable television in Fox & Friends in the morning how easy do you think it would be for career soviet intelligence officer to push his buttons? Seriously, a 70 year old narcissistic megalomaniac who was motivated primarily by ego and secondary by money it's like textbook poo poo.

I wanna see those RNC emails

Trump may very well be a useful idiot, but the way he's acted towards Putin in particular has always raised person suspicion that he is likewise compromised.

His entire cabinet and everyone around him, though, is absolutely dirty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Syrian Lannister posted:

No. Those eventually make sense.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NiallStanage/status/862446272753664000

All makes sense now, right?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Syrian Lannister posted:

Last night on the BBC World News they called the Comey firing "House of Cards on steroids"

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Man I'm sure glad that I'm traveling to Europe next week and not next year like we originally planned. With all this s*** going on in the world I really don't see the security situation and Europe improving any time in the next two years at the least

And american international standing will only continue to fall

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

:stare: This would be amazing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Time has a new article/interview up on Trump that took place a day before the Comey firing. It's quite something to try to wrap your head around his worldview.

http://time.com/donald-trump-after-hours/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

He's giving reporters tours of the White House like they've never ever been given a tour before.

He's obsessed with victories and being proven right (in any way that can happen) and totally dismissive of anything negative. He's spins his own reality to match his worldview.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Impeachment doesn't happen overnight, wouldn't the GOP have to retain control of the house in 2018 for that to happen? My girl Nancy gonna be pres!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lightpole posted:

Impeachment doesn't happen overnight, wouldn't the GOP have to retain control of the house in 2018 for that to happen? My girl Nancy gonna be pres!

If Trump/Pence are going to be impeached, it's not going to be in the last two years of office. Either the full scope of the FBI investigation is going to come out and they go down with it, or it gets buried and they go nowhere.

Also :lol: at democrats taking the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
If you want a clusterfuck, check out this suggestion from a Republican Senator, which was confirmed to not be a joke.

https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/862660636903387136

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/862664837045923840

• Locked thread