Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heran Bago posted:

I think Ocarina of Time has a debug crash handler screen.

How can you possibly not know the most famous way to break OoT?

http://www.jaytheham.com/zcw/Ocarina_of_Time_Crooked_Cartridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Celebrate the Magnavox Odysey 300 on this page.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

Celebrate the Magnavox Odysey 300 on this page.

Legitimately was my first console.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Topolino posted:

A few years back I purchased an ElGato HD since it can capture 240p over s-video and composite. Now that I have upgraded from composite to SCART and a YpBPr transcoder, I was thinking that in the specific case of the Genesis, it would be best to convert from YpBPr to S-Video so I can still gain some better video quality over composite.

Unfortunately I will not be able to afford this year a good upscaler or to switch from ElGato to the startech video capture device.

Is there an affordable solution to transcode from YpBPr to S-Video? Doing a mod to my 32x is out of the question due to my lack of technical skills, and being outside the US makes sending the console to someone to mod it quite expensive.

All the different search results I'm finding suggest you'd be paying at least $55 (or 55 UK pounds, depending on the retailer) for a component-S-Video converter device, and those are from online stores that don't actually have any in stock. And since you don't live in the US (and you living in the UK is ???), then you would still have shipping issues.

That said, one possible cheap solution (though probably not the best) might be tracking down one of these:

http://24kgoldstick.com/product/hd-av-grabber-usb-2-0-ypbpr-component-composite-av-s-video-audio-video-capture-card/

I'm not sure how it does with "240p" stuff directly over component, but it seems made for SD video and might work work well enough in the interim until you get a better capture device.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Two quick questions, both potentially embarassing:

I know AcidBurn or whoever is a taboo name, and I don't want to reignite that firestorm, but I have a Sega Megadrive from him/her which works fine except there is a clearly audible buzzing sound when playing any game. I asked about it and was told to try a different TV and/or Genesis, but I've done both and the buzzing is still loud enough that you basically have to play the game on mute. Is there any known workaround to this?

Unrelated, watching the LP of Little Nightmares recently with the kitchen scenes reminded me of one of my favorite bad Saturn titles: Johnny Bazookatone. Even if not exclusive (also released on 3DO!), my childhood was defined by poorly rendered and/or digitized Saturn games. Johnny B., Mr. Bones, Bug I & II, Skeleton Warriors. My first memory of being grounded was because I spent the afternoon playing Saturn Shinobi instead of studying for a test. Given that I already have my Dreamcast all set via a Hanzo box, what's the best way to connect a Saturn to modern TVs or monitors?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

For Genesis, try a different AC adapter. What model do you have?

For the Saturn, get yourself an :rgb: RGB SCART :rgb: cable and convert it to component or HDMI. The Framemeister and OSSC are thread favorites, but there are many cheaper options.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just got an RGB-modded NES in the mail from Monitor Burn.

Now I just need to get games for it, and get off my rear end and hook up my retro console cables and poo poo in my entertainment center. :suicide:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

How can you possibly not know the most famous way to break OoT?

http://www.jaytheham.com/zcw/Ocarina_of_Time_Crooked_Cartridge

I was remembering one related to this but Oh! MY GOD!! I had forgotten how expansive that glitch is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I would never do something as barbaric as pull up on the cartridge while the system is on :ohdear:

I wonder if you could achieve the same result with a gameshark like device... just block the left few pins completely for a bit...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Anyone want to pay £1750 for the "rarest PlayStation console ever"?

The Jordan Grand Prix Formula 1 team apparently gave away ten of these as part of some sort of promotion back in 1997 (for Sony's F1 '97, I assume), and one of them has now surfaced on eBay. I have to say, when I first saw this I thought it was one of those horribly tacky "custom" consoles people are selling for far too much money, but this apparently is an official promotional item.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

And thus the problem with this hobby. Rare =/= good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Is that a snake? or an F1 car? I guess its a painting of an F1 car that has a snake paintjob? That's... weird.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It looks like a waffle cone covered in cheese whiz.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Corn with an eyeball?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It looks like a small pastry to me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Zaphod42 posted:

Is that a snake? or an F1 car? I guess its a painting of an F1 car that has a snake paintjob? That's... weird.
It's the nose cone of Jordan's 1997 car, which had that painting of a snake (called "Hissin' Sid" if memory serves) on it. On their later cars they replaced the snake with a hornet and then a shark.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Well my lowball bid on a mis-listed X68k succeeded so I guess I'm going to have another stupid thing to collect for soon.

That is, assuming it was actually an X68k mis-listed as an X1 (and not just an X1) and assuming that the battery hasn't leaked everywhere and destroyed everything. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

dishwasherlove posted:

R@RE PIKACHU N64 L@@K FAST SHIPPING++++++

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
While I was at Supanova a few weeks back, I actually found a copy of Bust-a-Groove for PS1 and just finally got around to playing it. This is now the second time I've killed a giant robot with sick dance moves.

And oh dear god, I think need a crowbar to kill half the soundtrack cycling round in my head. Bust a Groove!.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I was at Supanova a few weeks back, I actually found a copy of Bust-a-Groove for PS1 and just finally got around to playing it. This is now the second time I've killed a giant robot with sick dance moves.

And oh dear god, I think need a crowbar to kill half the soundtrack cycling round in my head. Bust a Groove!.

Yeah that soundtrack is a definite ear worm.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
My real jam is Zombie Hopper from part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vMoXrTac8

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

but enough about Donkey Kong 64

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

If I want to hook up a Jaguar via SCART, the console doesn't need any mods, right?

And would one of these cables do the trick?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/390682542104

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah that soundtrack is a definite ear worm.

I have Blue Knife stuck in my head and I think I'll need a knife to dig it out :shepface:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcLox-o5GKU
You know what? If I have to suffer, so does everyone else. It is the most stupid distilled-90's pop song ever and gently caress me if I can get it out of my head.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'm still sad they took the endings out of the second one when it got a stateside release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baron Snow posted:

I'm still sad they took the endings out of the second one when it got a stateside release.

What's sadder is the sequel never got a PAL release, apparently :argh:.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

Weirdly enough, GOG doesn't directly offer most of their old games to linux users even when they just use DOSbox. Obviously, you can rig something up yourself if you know that, but the only DOS games I have from the site that offer linux downloads are the Leisure Suit Larry games (but no other Sierra games), Dragonsphere, and Lure of the Enchantress.

I think it's just not popular enough to be worth the extra effort. They actually at one point had 50 games with Linux versions but some of them are no longer on GOG due to shifting license issues like Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Addition.

The few DOSBox using games that supported it IIRC did so because they were part of the grab bag of ones they used to give some of for free (Dragonsphere and Lure of the Temptress especially) when you make a new account so it'd make sense that they'd want you to be able to immediately see it happen. I think today they just assume once someone who both uses Linux and is buying such an old game is going to already have an idea of how to handle DOSBox.

This was the initial list:
https://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_now_supports_linux

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I would never do something as barbaric as pull up on the cartridge while the system is on :ohdear:

I wonder if you could achieve the same result with a gameshark like device... just block the left few pins completely for a bit...

I don't think a literal Gameshark could do it, but it would be really easy to make a passthrough where you could turn on and off individual pins on the connector. It might actually be kind of neat to see what weird results you get from games when you can turn off things as you like.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

TheMammoth posted:

Given that I already have my Dreamcast all set via a Hanzo box, what's the best way to connect a Saturn to modern TVs or monitors?

Sega Saturn's have native RGB output via SCART cables. Hook it up to a tv via scaler box.

I've got this scaler: http://a.co/a9aRwLJ

And this cable: http://a.co/aeET7fu

and I'm very happy with its output to my Samsung TV.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 11, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pulls apart four storage bins looking for Dreamcast cables.

Of course, they're already hooked up...

As they should be.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Random Stranger posted:

Pulls apart four storage bins looking for Dreamcast cables.

Of course, they're already hooked up...

As they should be.

I actually bought a bunch of $2 plastic boxes (like you'd buy as a desk drawer organizer) to put the cables for a particular console in and the box goes next to the console on the shelf. I used to keep them all hooked up but it was a nightmare. Now I just keep an easily accessible A/V connection point on the front of the entertainment center and I have a small wheeled coffee table to put consoles on when I have them in use.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

If I want to hook up a Jaguar via SCART, the console doesn't need any mods, right?

And would one of these cables do the trick?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/390682542104

You should ideally be able to get composite, S-Video, and RGB out of the Jaguar without needing to do mods to the console itself:

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/jagav.htm

It's just a matter of an AV cable having the correct pins hooked up for the video format you desire.

The cable you linked will probably work fine, especially since it mentions RGB and full-wiring in the listing. Of course, it's not like there's a whole realm of Jaguar SCART cables to choose from, anyway...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Things I never thought I'd see: bootleg Famicom games used to smuggle rare spiders.

https://twitter.com/lacronicadehoy/status/862468273459384320

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I'm thinking about buying a Raspberry Pi to make into an emulation machine for both my own use and for my younger sister who wants to start playing games, and wanted to know what I might need to buy besides the computer itself and at least one or two USB controllers, as well as anything to keep in mind while setting it up

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to be asking this in

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

drrockso20 posted:

So I'm thinking about buying a Raspberry Pi to make into an emulation machine for both my own use and for my younger sister who wants to start playing games, and wanted to know what I might need to buy besides the computer itself and at least one or two USB controllers, as well as anything to keep in mind while setting it up

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to be asking this in

You'll need power supplies, HDMI cables to hook it to a display, a large SD card for each to store the OS, applications and ROMs, and probably a case around it because it's simply better to have it protected against spills and stuff falling on it.

You should only buy a Pi 3 version. There's no point in buying the older 1 or 2, or the low-end Pi Zero, for your purposes.

Also keep in mind that you can really only do consoles older than the PlayStation 1/Saturn. And that if you have an old regular computer sitting around, it will probably run emulators much better, including being able to do things up to the PS2/GC or even the Wii very well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

fishmech posted:

You'll need power supplies, HDMI cables to hook it to a display, a large SD card for each to store the OS, applications and ROMs, and probably a case around it because it's simply better to have it protected against spills and stuff falling on it.

You should only buy a Pi 3 version. There's no point in buying the older 1 or 2, or the low-end Pi Zero, for your purposes.

I probably should have mentioned I knew about most of the stuff you mentioned but thanks nonetheless, but that does remind me, anyone have any suggestions for a case for one of those, cause while the official case looks adequate I wouldn't mind getting one that's fancier looking

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Does this count? :retrogames:

Had to get the CRT repaired, and bought new joysticks to replace the (too big and also ugly) bat-top ones, but it plays like a dream and people have been having fun with it. Surprising decent little 4-player platformer game, and the music is great, if inaudible above all the sound effects.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Question:

I've been toying with the idea of buying the old Fat PS3 I've seen at my local retro gaming place as a way of getting access to the PS1, PS2, and PS3 libraries in one, but people keep telling me that Fat PS3s are ticking time bombs, unreliable, and will inevitably die sometime in the near future. Is this hyperbole?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They'll probably have solder issues and also the PS2 side of those things is pretty crap honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably cheaper to pick up a PS2 and PS3 and have more reliable access to both libraries anyway.

• Locked thread