Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

My biggest pet peeve as a referee is that at a certain level, referees just stop giving cards for dissent and foul and abusive language. The amount of abuse i see every week towards referees is staggering. After every call, especially in England, the player has pretty much a constant stream of 'gently caress off' and whatever else they can think of while the ref just takes it. It's gotten to the point that players think that it's ok. Back when i would do about 4 games a week, I'd end up averaging at least a red per week because of giving guys 2 yellows in the span of a minute, first for whatever foul they committed, and then immediately the second because of the hate spewing out if their mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
As much as I'd love to see refs follow the letter of the law and give out a second yellow for dissent, it won't happen in the major European leagues. Take England for example, the ref most likely to do this would be Mike Dean. The problem is that he gets his straight red calls wrong so often that he's accused of trying to steal the spotlight. The same thing would happen with sending players off for dissent: the media circus would be in full swing and no progress would get made. Hell, the FA briefed clubs and their players at the start of the season that dissent would be handled more harshly than in the past so they need to be more careful and it's still the same song and dance now because the refs are so inconsistent.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Now I'm imaging the next classico being 5 v 6 for like 30 minutes because players can't stop crowding the ref

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It'd actually be a race for the first team to get under the required 7 players and lose the game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Now I'm imaging the next classico being 5 v 6 for like 30 minutes because players can't stop crowding the ref

I would pay good money to see this

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Keep sending players off until it's 5-a-side imo

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bogan Krkic posted:

Keep sending players off until it's 5-a-side imo

Then put jumpers for goalposts on the halfway line

Marvellous, isn't it

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Start each game 1v1. Players have to do a good deed to be allowed to play.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Less that half as many corporations have signed on to sponsor the the 2018 World Cup than the 2014 edition did at this time four years ago

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/838403891289075712

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I've always wondered what a gladiator match was like

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

The Glumslinger posted:

I've always wondered what a gladiator match was like

Keep wondering. They might make a match, but those aren't gladiators.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

porkface posted:

Keep wondering. They might make a match, but those aren't gladiators.

What does this even mean

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What does this even mean

"the fact that 2 drunks can fight does not make them champions"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"the fact that 2 drunks can fight does not make them champions"

Hold my beer

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What does this even mean

*closes eyes* if gladiators were real today they'd be american

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

chuggo is BACK posted:

*closes eyes* if gladiators were real today they'd be american

There's nowhere else more likely to make the poor fight each other to the death for the entertainment of the nobility

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
But guys, what if Spartacus had played football instead?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

But guys, what if Spartacus had played football instead?

That's the last thing Andrew Marriner needs.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Ninpo posted:

That's the last thing Andrew Marriner needs.

Lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The head of the african federation lost the election to remain leader after 29 years in charge

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
what does this have to do with anything

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
FIFA Anti-Corruption Committee Member Admits To Taking Nearly $1 Million In Bribes

quote:

A top Fifa official was involved in "multiple schemes to accept and pay bribes to soccer officials", United States prosecutors say.

Richard Lai, 55, has admitted taking $950,000 (£735,000) in bribes.

The Guam Football Association boss sits on Fifa's audit and compliance committee as well as the Asian Football Confederation ethics committee.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
A FIFA official from a tiny uncompetitive country took bribes? Unheard of!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
$950,000? Dude's bribe game is strong.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

dude is (presumably) a US citizen from birth, running the football association of a US territory, a territory that it looks like is (at least kind of) subject to regular US law. that takes balls imo

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Fifa Anti-Corruption Committee strikes me as roughly as pointless as smoke detectors in hell.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

Fifa's newly elected female representative for Asian football has been criticised for struggling to name the current women's world champions.

Bangladeshi Mahfuza Akhter Kiron overcame Australia's prominent women's football campaigner Moya Dodd 27-17 in Monday's vote to secure the win.

Asked by BBC World Service to name the current Women's World Cup holders, Kiron named USA at the third attempt.

"This is very disappointing," said two-time World Cup winner Carli Lloyd.

Kiron answered "Korea" and "Japan" before settling on USA.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

another reminder that FIFA is poo poo: they're going to let teams based in illegal settlements play in the Israeli league, all while the Israeli government tortures Palestinian footballers

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
nice source

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lemme trust this site called electronic intifada that's extremely unbiased in all things Israel.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It's also reported elsewhere so the unsupported shitposting based on the source is unnecessary.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Ok so the source isn't great but can we all at least agree it contains some very good sentences regarding everyone's favorite FIFA committee member, Tokyo Sexwale?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Lol, FIFA will never change and they don't give a gently caress.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/10/ousted-fifa-ethics-heads-investigating-hundreds-corruption-cases

quote:

Football’s world governing body, Fifa, has “neutralised” and “incapacitated” its corruption investigations after removing the chairmen and all but two members of its ethics committee, the two ousted chairmen said the day before the organisation’s congress in Bahrain.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I hope FIFA dismisses literally everyone on the ethics committee. It will be so poetic.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
"FIFA Ethics Committee" is one of those great all-time oxymorons that makes me lol anytime I see something about it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Its up there with Henry Kissinger, Nobel peace prize winner for sure

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of peace, wondering how FIFA is handling Syria?

quote:

Allegations that Syria is in violation of FIFA's rules prohibiting political interference in matters related to soccer were delivered to FIFA's doorstep in 2015. FIFA has cited those rules 20 times over the past decade to suspend countries from international play. But in the case of the Syria allegations, which were contained in a 20-page document titled "War Crimes against Syrian Football Players," FIFA responded that the "tragic circumstances ... go far beyond the domain of sporting matters" and concluded that the issue was beyond its control. FIFA officials declined to be interviewed by ESPN but issued a statement saying the organization is limited in its jurisdiction and its "capacity to verify any allegations in such a complex setting."

"There is a contradiction between FIFA's decisions and its rules," says Ayman Kasheet, a former Syrian player who hand-delivered the allegations to FIFA's headquarters in Zurich. "They issue a directive to freeze a federation because of political interference, while at the same time there is all-out war occurring in a country where stadiums are being used to store military equipment, where children and soccer players under 18 years of age are dying, where soccer players are being thrown in prison. All this is taking place and there is abundant proof, but where is the decision? This is hypocrisy."

Mark Afeeva, a London attorney who specializes in sports law and has studied FIFA's independence statutes, agrees that Syria represents "a clear case of systemic state interference in domestic and international football, and yet FIFA has chosen not to act. Simply put, it doesn't have the balls to get involved in what is clearly a very nefarious affair."

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19343630/how-syrian-government-brought-soccer-campaign-oppression

You had to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FIFA are in a tough situation there because Russia and Qatar are locked in a proxy war over oil pipelines. When both petrostates are paying you all the money how do you decide which one to come out in support of. Better to just let is play out in this poster's opinion