Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

SteelMentor posted:

Small guess, that stuff's designed to go together like Gundams, i.e. snap-fit with no glue, lower grade of plastic than Citadel's stuff.

I might try and see if I can import some when they come out, assuming 'Hams don't drive up the prices to ridiculousness.

poo poo don't tell the death thread there are 40k gundams, they'll have a fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As someone who just started getting into Thousand Sons I am very excited about this. Of course it's hard to analyze them in a vacuum but at least Rubrics aren't SaP anymore.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

No granular point costs.

:rip: 40k lets play warhamchine

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What is death to the false emperor everything was meant to be explained on one sheet HUH GW?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lol I bet real points costs will be in the codices for £50 RRP give GW more money WAAC tournament spergs

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Looks pretty good so far. Keen to know how the points and power levels will operate though. I think that is going to be p clutch.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

ijyt posted:

No granular point costs.

:rip: 40k lets play warhamchine

They already said there will be two point systems; one simple system developed for quicker games and another one that is more granluar for more competitive play. I guess "power" is the first one.

ijyt posted:

Lol I bet real points costs will be in the codices for £50 RRP give GW more money WAAC tournament spergs

They already said they are doing a Generals Handbook style release and all the point values should be included there.
The huge benefit to this kind of system is that the point values for all units in competitive play all get updated at the same time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Here's a cupola pictures I haven't seen before.

The Shizuoka Hobby Show is going on right now, so presumably that's where those pictures are from. That's a really clever way to appeal to the Japanese market where those sorts of blind box things are more popular

Bandai has a line of Gundam kits out now that are the same thing

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
2+ save against default infantry weapon types (boltguns, etc) is a pretty huge buff.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I wonder who's producing those figures, as they clearly come from a different factory.

PierreTheMime posted:

2+ save against default infantry weapon types (boltguns, etc) is a pretty huge buff.

Yeah, it's a nice callback to their third edition rules.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I wonder who's producing those figures, as they clearly come from a different factory.

You might even say they come from a max factory?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pawl posted:

They already said they are doing a Generals Handbook style release and all the point values should be included there.
The huge benefit to this kind of system is that the point values for all units in competitive play all get updated at the same time.
How does AoS present this for things like weapon options or upgrades? Do you get an alternate version of the warscroll including the points instead of 'power level'?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Weapon swaps are free in AoS, but they're all kinda roughly equivalent anyway.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You might even say they come from a max factory?

I wouldn't because I don't get that reference.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Weapon swaps are free in AoS, but they're all kinda roughly equivalent anyway.

I wouldn't because I don't get that reference.

It's Max Factory

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

xtothez posted:

How does AoS present this for things like weapon options or upgrades? Do you get an alternate version of the warscroll including the points instead of 'power level'?

All options and upgrades are free in AOS. Some weapons are better in certain situations so it's a matter of opportunity costs.

For example Kurnoth Hunters are a staple Sylvaneth unit and they can equip Swords or Scythes.

The two weapons are very similar but Swords have +1 Attack and Rend-1 while Scythes have +1" reach and Rend-2. The reach is very important because Kurnoths have a special ability that lets them reroll saves in exchange for reducing their pile-in move to 1", so that extra 1" reach allows them to get more attacks in than they would normally get if they get flanked (which happens often because Sylvaneth are a defensive army).

AP2 is also much better in AOS than Rend-1 because there are many units that ignore Rend-1.

So Swords are slightly better on average in a perfect scenario against most enemies, but in the right situation the Scythes are much better.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

xtothez posted:

There are no costed upgrades in AoS.

Lots of units have options for different loadouts and they're all just listed in the warscroll stats.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
GW accidentally released this early and pulled it back.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Well it looks like they've done something similar for 40k, with weapon options being balanced around each other. We can see that the force weapons all trade-off Strength for AP fairly predictably, although they don't have a range stat.

Still curious how they'll do extra models for matched play though. Having every unit rounded to +5 or +10 would be odd in 40k.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The first, faction keywords, are what you use when selecting your detachments for a Battle-forged army, and often trigger in-game effects regarding what units gain benefits from certain Characters or can travel in specific Transports

Let me take imperium transports for my Skitarii you bastards!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Also it's worth pointing out that right now, 1k Sons already get a free sorcerer and the ability to exchange their bolters for warpflamers free. The only new "free" upgrades are the soulreaper cannon and icon, and if the sorcerer doesn't get any powers beyond reduced-power smite, it's likely going to be a wash.

But this is clearly set up for the power rating points so I'm sure we'll see something with real points later

I think this is pretty great overall, though. I really like the All is Dust rule

Also worth noting from these rules: There is no range on melee weapons--just "Melee" is used

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 11, 2017

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

MasterSlowPoke posted:

While everyone's talking about the DC area, how about the other Trump place? I just moved to West Palm Beach, anyone near here? *crickets, a tumbleweed consisting of shredded Bretonian assembly instructions blows past*

This is real old but I'm real behind on this thread. I'm moving to West Palm beach next year, but I just got back from a week trip yesterday. The GW store there is actually cool, I went a few times and was surprised how friendly and 'normal' the manager and patrons were. Someone playing or painting almost any time they are open. I'm planning on a lot more time there in the future.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I pretty much love everything on that datasheet.

+ The change in force weapons is great, since now you'd have a reason to consider force axes. Hopefully force is the same as power weapons but with D3 damage instead of 1, in which case it'd be a similar interesting decision

+ I like the simple, single power for Squad Champion Sorcerers

+ I like the limits on denying a power

+ I love the Faction Keywords--makes it real easy to have a unit belong to multiple groups, so you can avoid having to make poo poo like Codex: Daemonkin and Codex: Thousand Sons that then have separate unit entries from Codex Chaos Space Marines, leading to dumb inconsistencies across books, especially post-update (This was the biggest problem with updating Codex: Chaos Space Marines)

+ "Heretic Astartes" is a cooler name than "Chaos Space Marines"

+ The new All is Dust rule owns, and combined with the slower movement, does a better job capturing the feel of these dudes than the previous rules

- I'd rather use real points, which I guess we'll see later, but I'm also kind of coming around on power points, if only because it could make it easy to "throw an army together" in five minutes. Still, I definitely want more granularity than buying dudes 5 at a time

- I'm assuming Death to the False Emperor is the new "Veterans of the Long War," so I wish they'd given us that too, but I suspect it's more faction-specific bonuses, which I could kind of live without, no matter how fluffy they are

e: Also they went ahead and just published it: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/11/new-warhammer-40000-datasheetsgw-homepage-post-4/

e2:

PierreTheMime posted:

It's going to be massive on Rubric Terminators

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 11, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So, the unit adds 1 to saving throws if hit by stuff with Damage: 1.

They also have a 5+ Invulnerable Save, which is speculated to work like SWA (i.e. AP on weapons cannot make their save worse than 5+).

Do these stack to give them an effective 4+ Inv save versus Damage: 1 weapons? The armour save modifier takes them to a 5+, and then they get +1 to their roll so a 4 becomes 5.

Potentially day 0 ambiguous wording already :)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's not really ambiguous if we don't even have the rules yet though. A lot of this stuff isn't going to make sense in a vacuum and exists to tease.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's going to be massive on Rubric Terminators

Does AoS allow for automatic successes on "1+"? It would really be neat if Rubric Terminators could just wade through bolter-fire, giving no shits and cutting people down with their khopesh.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

PierreTheMime posted:

Does AoS allow for automatic successes on "1+"? It would really be neat if Rubric Terminators could just wade through bolter-fire, giving no shits and cutting people down with their khopesh.

In the basic rules it allows for this but matched play has a rule where a hit/wound/save roll of 1 always fails

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PierreTheMime posted:

I suspect a 1 will still fail in most circumstances, but it would mean that poo poo like heavy bolters wouldn't just cut down your terminators either

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

The real purpose is to shrug off the AP penalties to their save, ignoring -1 entirely.

e: forgot the "against damage 1 weapons' part :downs:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PierreTheMime posted:

1 is always a failure even if somehow you end up with a 1+

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

+ "Heretic Astartes" is a cooler name than "Chaos Space Marines"

I love just about everything on this entire datasheet, but that was easily my favorite part of it.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Kinda disappointed there hasn't been a new faction focus article posted yet. I was assuming with the first on Sunday and the second on Tuesday we'd see another today.

e: holy poo poo the autism is out in force on dakka today

xtothez fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 11, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

Kinda disappointed there hasn't been a new faction focus article posted yet. I was assuming with the first on Sunday and the second on Tuesday we'd see another today.

They almost always come in the afternoon (CST anyhow).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm real hype

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

xtothez posted:

e: holy poo poo the autism is out in force on dakka today

I think those charts mean "pick which looks cool"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

ANAmal.net posted:

I love just about everything on this entire datasheet, but that was easily my favorite part of it.
requisite BUT THEY'RE CHANGING IT TO SOMETHING MORE EASILY COPYRIGHTABLE!!!!

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

jadebullet posted:

Jesus, you guys weren't kidding bout finecast being poo poo. I figured it would just be softer, inferior resin, possibly with a few air bubbles. No air bubbles on my deathleaper or on shadowsun, but holy poo poo these gates are horrible. They are loving everywhere and in very awkward places.

Wait until you have to attach at something other than a joint, where you have to pin it like you're working with metal, then carve and sculpt the joining points, then slather it after it's dried with more glue to fill the gap(s) or green stuff, then sculpt to hide it. This is after you've found some critical pieces had huge air bubbles so you had to re-sculpt them as well then just throw the thing away and order some Chinese knock-off for a quarter of the price that isn't such a nightmare to work with because GW still hasn't made a plastic kit for your dude.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Der Waffle Mous posted:

requisite BUT THEY'RE CHANGING IT TO SOMETHING MORE EASILY COPYRIGHTABLE!!!!

Which is true, but it still sounds cooler!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Wait until you have to attach at something other than a joint, where you have to pin it like you're working with metal, then carve and sculpt the joining points, then slather it after it's dried with more glue to fill the gap(s) or green stuff, then sculpt to hide it. This is after you've found some critical pieces had huge air bubbles so you had to re-sculpt them as well then just throw the thing away and order some Chinese knock-off for a quarter of the price that isn't such a nightmare to work with because GW still hasn't made a plastic kit for your dude.

Does GW not have some kind of part replacement service for miscast parts? Particularly given how common it is with finecast?

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 11, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Khisanth Magus posted:

Which is true, but it still sounds cooler!

Does GW not have some kind of part replacement service for miscast parts? Particularly given how common it is with finecast?

Not explicitly, but their customer service is really good and they should replace miscast stuff

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
They need to track down whoever made those charts and whoever positively commented on them and just ban them from purchasing GW product ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lord Twisted posted:

They need to track down whoever made those charts and whoever positively commented on them and just ban them from purchasing GW product ever again

That's a lot of work to arrive at the conclusion "sometimes having more S is better, sometimes having more AP is better"

• Locked thread