Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

And did I miss the reason why Ego had to seed women to create a second being who could control the light? He can clearly create life as seen in Mantis, why not just create another being to control the light? Or create a being to gently caress and raise that kid to control the light with him? Why does he need two beings to activate it in the first place? He basically has control of matter on a molecular level but genetic manipulation is out of the question?

Buddy, it's space magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mantis is adopted

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Ego didn't create Mantis, he merely found her as an infant during his travels.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Franchescanado posted:

Ego didn't create Mantis, he merely found her as an infant during his travels.

Probably couldn't get any play with the queen, and then stole her on the way out.

Also Mantis' backstory is dire in the comics according to wikipedia.

quote:

Mantis is the half-Vietnamese, half-German daughter of Gustav Brandt—Libra—and was born in Huế, Vietnam. In her childhood, her father leaves her in Vietnam at the Temple of the alien Priests of Pama, a sect of the Kree. The Kree believe she might become the Celestial Madonna and mate with the eldest Cotati on Earth to become the mother of the Celestial Messiah, "the most important being in the universe".

She excels in her martial arts studies, but when she reaches adulthood, she is mind-wiped and sent into the world to gain life experience. She becomes a prostitute and barmaid in a Vietnamese bar, where she meets the Swordsman.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oh. I must have missed the part where she said she got adopted, there was a noisy group in my theater.

Did I also miss the part where they say why Ego needs another being to control the light to activate his plan?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Did I also miss the part where they say why Ego needs another being to control the light to activate his plan?

He says that one isn't enough, but two is.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

And did I miss the reason why Ego had to seed women to create a second being who could control the light? He can clearly create life as seen in Mantis, why not just create another being to control the light? Or create a being to gently caress and raise that kid to control the light with him? Why does he need two beings to activate it in the first place? He basically has control of matter on a molecular level but genetic manipulation is out of the question?

Forget that, why would Ego casually confess to murdering Quill's mother wight when he was successfully selling himself as a loving father?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cockmaster posted:

Forget that, why would Ego casually confess to murdering Quill's mother wight when he was successfully selling himself as a loving father?

Maybe the character named Ego who sees himself as a god has a bit of hubris?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cockmaster posted:

He believed that Peter had bought into the plan and had gradually been working up to that the whole time both as a test for Peter's loyalty to the plan and as part of the whole nothing but Ego plan.

By the time Ego revealed that he'd killed Peter's mom deliberately he'd already also revealed that Peter actually had hundreds(thousands?) of brothers and sisters that Ego had killed. Peter is high on universal oneness through the gradually increasing horror of Ego's actual plan. It isn't until Ego mentions that the other Guardians aren't needed that Peter begins to question the plan, but is clearly still star eyed. The next thing is Ego killed Peter's mom, and then it's shooting time.

Remember that there was no reason for Ego to be afraid of Peter anyway. Peter could just barely control the light and was easily overpowered and forced into being a battery anyway. It's just that Ego underestimated the power of a boy's love for his friends, his mother, and the mixtape she gave him. Shouldn't have done that.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

He believes that once he reveals to his son that he is also an immortal god-like being, Peter will naturally adopt the same "mortals don't matter at all" opinion. Remember, Ego can simultaneously confess a love for someone so true it nearly derailed his chosen purpose, and deliver her death since, as a mortal, her death was inevitable. Since Ego has never been a mortal, or experienced familial bond, he has no idea how offensive the admission would be to Peter.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Away all Goats posted:

:siren: WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD :siren:

I just saw this and I think I agree with some of the comments the jokes went on too long (like Groot trying to steal the prototype) or just fell flat. I don't understand the complaints about Drax though, dude was hilarious and I'm glad his performance in the first film wasn't a fluke.

Drax's repeating laughter at everything throughout the movie got a little old

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

His laughter felt as natural as the audience when they laughed at all the call backs and jokes the previews (and the movie itself) beat to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpYDDOmoSM

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 11, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I liked Drax in this one. I got the impression he still doesn't quite grasp humor and is overcompensating by laughing too hard at things.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just saw this and liked it way better than the first one. It was consistently more funny and did a much better job telling the story of a surrogate family. It also looked a ton better and made better use of the supporting characters like Nebula and Yondou. Really impressed, this is the first James Gunn movie I've seen that I can say is good without reservation (admittedly I've only seen 3 total including this).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still disappointed we didn't get a message about Peter being a son who was practically perfect in every way.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I liked Drax in this one. I got the impression he still doesn't quite grasp humor and is overcompensating by laughing too hard at things.

His laugh was infectious as hell. :buddy:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I know an autistic kid who does the Drax thing, it's like he knows something is a joke, and that you are supposed to laugh at jokes - so that's what he does. Found that part pretty realistic, Drax still doesn't really get social stuff but tries so hard.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really loved GotGv2. I liked Drax in the first movie, but I never imagined he'd be one of my favorites in the sequel.

But from the post-credits the minute Ving motherfucking Rhames pops up, I got really excited. And then introduce a team of the original Guardians? gently caress. Yes. That just seems like it could be a way, way better version of The Expendables, except in space.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another element to the film was the theme of conception. Ego just sprang into being, and not knowing his purpose or history bothered him. Drax mentions how talking about the story of when you were conceived is seen as a beautiful thing, and it ties into how Quill was conceived out of love between his parents (maybe it was 'love' that was the real secret ingredient to making another Celestial?). Drax pokes fun at how uncomfortable Quill gets about thinking of his parents having sex.

Thinking of our parents as sexual beings is taboo in our culture, but it is ironic because they had to be that way to create us. For all the :spergin: moments Drax has about jokes he seems pretty on point when it comes to loving your family and mourning their loss.

Ego loved Quills mom, but not so much he was willing to stay on earth and live out a life as a human. It is a contrast to the godlike immortal super beings in Hancock who paired off and died out in order to experience love.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Colonel Whitey posted:

I just saw this and liked it way better than the first one. It was consistently more funny and did a much better job telling the story of a surrogate family. It also looked a ton better and made better use of the supporting characters like Nebula and Yondou. Really impressed, this is the first James Gunn movie I've seen that I can say is good without reservation (admittedly I've only seen 3 total including this).

Even Slither?!?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't believe SLiTHER got me to care about a world absorbing slug monster. but it did.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Panfilo posted:

Another element to the film was the theme of conception. Ego just sprang into being, and not knowing his purpose or history bothered him. Drax mentions how talking about the story of when you were conceived is seen as a beautiful thing, and it ties into how Quill was conceived out of love between his parents (maybe it was 'love' that was the real secret ingredient to making another Celestial?). Drax pokes fun at how uncomfortable Quill gets about thinking of his parents having sex.

Thinking of our parents as sexual beings is taboo in our culture, but it is ironic because they had to be that way to create us. For all the :spergin: moments Drax has about jokes he seems pretty on point when it comes to loving your family and mourning their loss.

Ego loved Quills mom, but not so much he was willing to stay on earth and live out a life as a human. It is a contrast to the godlike immortal super beings in Hancock who paired off and died out in order to experience love.

Yeah, he says something like "I knew if I ever came back to Earth for another visit I'd stay and never fulfil my purpose..." before the "that's why it broke my heart to put that tumor in her head."

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Though that begs the question why he didn't just take a vacation, being immortal it's not like his grand plan was on a strict shedule.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

The only moment I said to myself "wow this is really dumb" was the pac-man punch. I honestly expected a giant dong as it was forming... Everything else in the movie was cool though.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Absolutely. I was blown away by the sense of depth and scale it gave some of the shots. Granted, the last 3D film I saw was that Jaws sequel, so I'm easily impressed. But I thought it was awesome.

Good to know! I saw Fury Road in 3D and 2D and, as such, was able to compare the two and I found 3D to be a an amazing experience.

Meanwhile, I saw some other movie in 3D recently and it seems like it was added as an afterthought and, it was since I can't even remember which movie it was, :mediocre:

I'll take your word that Guardians 3D is worth it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Womyn Capote posted:

The only moment I said to myself "wow this is really dumb" was the pac-man punch. I honestly expected a giant dong as it was forming... Everything else in the movie was cool though.

Yeah this made me roll my eyes pretty hard.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even Slither?!?

That's the one I haven't seen.

Womyn Capote posted:

This and "except he didn't say frickin" were cringey for me. Otherwise this movie and the humor were aces.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 11, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While the Pac-Punch was dumb, it is a direct call to the list of things Quill plans to make when he masters his powers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Barudak posted:

While the Pac-Punch was dumb, it is a direct call to the list of things Quill plans to make when he masters his powers.

I was just hoping it'd lean into something weirder. Quill's line was naming several 80s things then saying he was going to get weird with it so I was hoping we'd get something weird.

e: the pacman thing just made me think of that sandler movie tbh

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Whitey posted:

This and "except he didn't say frickin" were cringey for me. Otherwise this movie and the humor were aces.

Watch SLiTHER! Also, that joke was a call-back to the original film.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's also about all he can create since he said when he tried before and thought really hard, all he could make was a ball.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Watch SLiTHER! Also, that joke was a call-back to the original film.

Yep and it was a bad joke then too

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

I liked both of them; they're really dumb but in a funny way. The latter especially is like everybody being "a-holes," it fits in.

It also brings to mind the reaction I had when I saw the original. The police lineup scene where Quill does the wind-up and raises his middle finger was censored in the trailer, and I was actually disappointed that it wasn't covered in the movie as well. Some things are funnier implied than explicit.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I liked both of them; they're really dumb but in a funny way. The latter especially is like everybody being "a-holes," it fits in.

It also brings to mind the reaction I had when I saw the original. The police lineup scene where Quill does the wind-up and raises his middle finger was censored in the trailer, and I was actually disappointed that it wasn't covered in the movie as well. Some things are funnier implied than explicit.

Possibly, but the middle finger probably isn't an obscene gesture in space. Wouldn't have made sense to censor it if they don't even know what it means.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Possibly, but the middle finger probably isn't an obscene gesture in space. Wouldn't have made sense to censor it if they don't even know what it means.

The joke worked fine in the trailer. As such, it made sense.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Scream Factory just released a fantastic version of it on Blu Ray if you're looking to check it out. It's gross as hell in the best possible way, and has a lot of James Gunn regulars like Rooker, Gregg Henry, and a cameo by Lloyd Kaufman.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/slither-collector-s-edition

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was pretry disappointed there was no Lloud Kaufman cameo in Vol. 2

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I swore I saw him when the arrow was mowing down peeps. But I could've been wrong.

I saw Gunn's dad though. He was in the car during the Expansion montage.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Franchescanado posted:

I was pretry disappointed there was no Lloud Kaufman cameo in Vol. 2

There was. It's was a blink and you'll miss it thing.

I'm gonna have to see it again because according to the internet his cameo was cut. I swear I saw his face real quick during the sequence where Yondu kills all those pirates with is arrow.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 11, 2017

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I saw fuckin Jimmy Urine (of Mindless Self Indulgence) in the credits, who was he in the movie?

E: nvm, he was the long mohawk guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Whitey posted:

I saw fuckin Jimmy Urine (of Mindless Self Indulgence) in the credits, who was he in the movie?

E: nvm, he was the long mohawk guy

This guy, who was pretty prevalent throughout

• Locked thread