Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jBrereton posted:

"Let's let the 16 year olds vote because they agree with our ideas"
This is not the argument. The argument is that 16 year olds should be able to vote because

MikeCrotch posted:

its a loving sham that at 16 you're considered old enough to work, pay tax and join the forces, but not vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TACD posted:

This is not the argument.

You're really naive if you don't think that's why Labour want it to happen.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If you're eligible to pay tax you ought to have a vote just out of natural justice.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Let 16 year olds vote but don't let them legally drink in pubs.

Make them have to act older and pick the right venues and bar staff to get served. It's traditional.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

HJB posted:

Thanks for the question. 16 year olds are schoolchildren, not schooladults. Give them a chance to get out of that bubble and experience the real world for a bit before having the opportunity to make decisions that will affect them for the rest of their life.

I've said it before! If you put the AoC up then it means for certain that schoolkids aren't legal, so you don't get newly-passed drivers rocking up outside schools in their souped-up Saxos seeing who they can pull. In theory. Reminder I live in Essex.

I first voted aged 30 so in my case the lower age limit didnt affect my ability to experience the real world. An elegant solution might be to make sex and voting an either or thing given the little overlap between the two groups.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

jBrereton posted:

"Let's let the 16 year olds vote because they agree with our ideas" is getting dangerously close to "my dog would not have voted for Brexit" territory tbh

My dog has an EU passport, of course he would have voted remain.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Breath Ray posted:

I first voted aged 30 so in my case the lower age limit didnt affect my ability to experience the real world. An elegant solution might be to make sex and voting an either or thing given the little overlap between the two groups.

This would only effectively prohibit teenage mothers from voting, gj

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Kegluneq posted:

This would only effectively prohibit teenage mothers from voting, gj

And those suffering from VD.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Just for the avoidance of doubt my ruling would also apply to teenage fathers. At a stroke ensuring only sensible people with a long term perspective can vote.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/5_News/status/862640064651825152

https://twitter.com/andybell5news/status/862617065190031361

AP fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 11, 2017

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm shocked that doesn't happen more often, tbh

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Taking the Foot analogy too far imo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

"Let's let the 16 year olds vote because they agree with our ideas" is getting dangerously close to "my dog would not have voted for Brexit" territory tbh

Why jBrereton, I'm shocked, you must be entirely accidentally misrepresenting people's opinion! Because no oval office has said "16 year olds should get the vote because they agree with me". I have no idea if they do or not. But others have said, if they can be expected to pay tax, and all that shite.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A lot of people are stupid, or at least devote so little thought to politics that they are effectively stupid when it comes to voting. The point of democracy isn't for all voters to be super smart, it's for them to express what they think is in their interests. I think 16 year olds are perfectly capable of doing that, and they are in fact possibly the age group that will be most profoundly affected by government policies.
New/potential immigrants and foreigners are also strongly affected by the government policies, but we don't get to vote.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Ephemeron posted:

New/potential immigrants and foreigners are also strongly affected by the government policies, but we don't get to vote.

Is this supposed to be an argument again 16 year olds being able to vote?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Breath Ray posted:

For many of you this will mean much less voting. For me, much much more.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Literally anyone who has the capacity to want to vote should have that option (caveating; you should have to be a Citizen and you have to be resident in the UK).

The majority of 16-18 year olds won't vote just as everyone in the <30 age bracket is terrible at voting, but that's no reason to disqualify them. Likewise they'll all have terrible and naive views about how the world works but that makes them literally no different to adults.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
:D

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Why jBrereton, I'm shocked, you must be entirely accidentally misrepresenting people's opinion! Because no oval office has said "16 year olds should get the vote because they agree with me". I have no idea if they do or not. But others have said, if they can be expected to pay tax, and all that shite.
ah ok it's just that you said "I think I was better qualified to vote than my tory gran" so I took that as an actual feeling that you had which you thought validated the idea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

ah ok it's just that you said "I think I was better qualified to vote than my tory gran" so I took that as an actual feeling that you had which you thought validated the idea.

I was talking specifically about myself. Which should have been clear from my use of the word "I".

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
OK. That being the case I refer you to my earlier "shouldn't be in the forces or the voting booth" statement.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Why though? I mean even if it were for the purely pragmatic reason that yoof lean further left? It's not like they're incapable of making the decision. I can't really see any good reason not to do it, other than doing it is partisan?

When was the vote lowered to 18 in Britain? I'm sure if you looked at letters to the editor at the time it'd be the exact same loving arguments against letting 18 year olds vote, because I know they were in Australia.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

People are already suggesting that Laura Kuenssberg pushed the guy into the car's path.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Because their entire life has been spent in a deliberately curated non-adult life to that point so what would be their perspective?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Can't even tell the difference between a cameraman and bankers. Unfit to lead.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

jBrereton posted:

Because their entire life has been spent in a deliberately curated non-adult life to that point so what would be their perspective?

That of 16 year olds. Given policy does still affect them, even if they are sheltered, they should probably have a say.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Can't even tell the difference between a cameraman and bankers. Unfit to lead.

Running over bankers should be the new national sport tho.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Oberleutnant posted:

If you're eligible to pay tax you ought to have a vote just out of natural justice.
That probably wouldn't work very well because you're eligible to pay tax from the moment you are born:

https://www.jonathanford.co.uk/actors/childrens-tax/
There’s a common misconception that children don’t need to hand over any of their earned income from acting/modelling/voiceovers to the taxman. Unfortunately that’s not the case.
Regardless of age we all have to pay tax on earned income. We do all have a personal allowance though so if your income is below this amount (£10,000 for 2014/15) then there’s no tax due.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Extreme0 posted:

Running over bankers should be the new national sport tho.

It should. It's just a pity Corb's driver isn't very good at it.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

LemonDrizzle posted:

That probably wouldn't work very well because you're eligible to pay tax from the moment you are born.

Most voters are manchilds anyways.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Not Operator posted:

I'm shocked that doesn't happen more often, tbh

I'm shocked he could get an ambulance in London.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Alchenar posted:

Literally anyone who has the capacity to want to vote should have that option (caveating; you should have to be a Citizen and you have to be resident in the UK).

This takes the vote away from quite a lot of people who currently have it. Was that your intent?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFKk2b5Wk0

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
When does the apparently realer than the leaked manifesto labour manifesto come out?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jBrereton posted:

When does the apparently realer than the leaked manifesto labour manifesto come out?

Next week

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

jBrereton posted:

This statement is true about many (most?) 18 year olds too.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Okay new plan: disenfranchise everybody except me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd vote for that. Once.

Killed By Death posted:

For many of you this will mean much less voting. For me, much much more.
It also means the Catholic clergy will become a large voting bloc, and I'm sure the British Parliament wouldn't want that.

(In before JFairfax says '90% of them anyway')

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

This statement is true about many (most?) 18 year olds too.
I agree tbh but that's where we're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Have countries with a 16 limit enjoyed more left wing governments?

• Locked thread