Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

The Magnus Archives. For real. It's the loving best.

Seconded. I also like the body horror of Spines which hasn't gotten enough love here. Listen to the 1 minute long teasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

This wasn't her first appearance. She was featured in an earlier episode having a discussion with Agent Green. Also, we know that she's nervous about how to relate to other people and is worried about inadvertently invading their privacy. Saying all there is to her is sexuality and power is reductive and insulting. Yeah, it's odd how hardly any of the characters are straight (though Joan, Owen, and Sam all seem to qualify), but it's not like there's nothing to her but a box on a checklist. It seems like when a queer character is introduced, people immediately respond with "pandering! Just make good characters and stop worrying about if they're gay!" It's kind of like when a white guy gets cast to play a minority role in a big budget movie and people defend it by saying "we just want the best actors and didn't think about race."

She has trouble relating to people like Sam? Or worrying about invading privacy like Chloe?

I don't remember her first appearance though I honestly thought it was this one. I'm sure there's a goal for her in the end but as far as it goes so far she feels like a retread.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

New Leaf posted:

Insulting to who, exactly? The fictional character?

The author.

Len posted:

She has trouble relating to people like Sam? Or worrying about invading privacy like Chloe?

I don't remember her first appearance though I honestly thought it was this one. I'm sure there's a goal for her in the end but as far as it goes so far she feels like a retread.

That's fair, I guess. We really only got a quick vignette in between advancement of other characters, though go back to episode 30 and you'll hear more about her. For instance, she comes from a whole family of atypicals. That's a new dynamic, except maybe for Chloe and her mother. Anyway, it just annoys me when people assume the only reason she was brought in was to say "look, we have a lesbian now!"

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 28, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
But how can you say with such confidence that she wasn't brought on for that very reason? We know 4 or 5 things about her, none of which is unique to the story, and one of which is her sexuality. We may be looking at it like a box on a checklist, but that's only because it's exactly the way the author presented it to us.

And look, if I didn't like The Bright Sessions, I wouldn't listen. There's something interesting about this group of the world's lamest X-Men. I just hope she can find without stumbling over herself.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

New Leaf posted:

The Magnus Archives. For real. It's the loving best.

If you like Limetown, you are quite likely to also like Magnus.

Also Magnus is really, really good just in general.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Today's TANIS is easily the best they've done in a long time. Holy poo poo, that ending.. It makes me want to re-listen to the entire thing.

Edit: Holy poo poo, today's Magnus Archive thanked me in the intro as a Patreon supporter! :D

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 3, 2017

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I had that twist figured out partway through season 1.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

AstroZamboni posted:

I had that twist figured out partway through season 1.

Seriously? It never occurred to me at all..

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Can you spoil it?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

Can you spoil it?

Geoff isn't Geoff, he's actually Karl - the brother who was obsessed with Tanis and conspiracies and number stations. (Name spellings are from the Tanis wiki)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Geoff isn't Geoff, he's actually Karl - the brother who was obsessed with Tanis and conspiracies and number stations. (Name spellings are from the Tanis wiki)

Didn't season one end the same way? I distinctly remember a shocking revelation that someone (Veronica?) and someone else were really the same person. It landed with a resounding "meh" because I can't keep straight who most of the characters are.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tanis would have to turn into the greatest piece of fiction ever to get me to listen again after their dumbass wet fart of an attempt at a twist in season 1

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I feel like I should care about the twist, but I also can't keep all the characters straight. I'm not sure what the big reveal here is besides identify theft.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Magnus Archives question from about episode 25-26, spoilered for people that haven't listened yet:

This Jane Prentiss person they keep talking about -- has she been discussed in a previous episode in detail, or are we only supposed to know about her through the little tidbits of information that Martin and Johnathan discuss in the episode "Colony"?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Detail? No, but I think she is mentioned or related to episode 6 as well.

MECHARL WINSLOW
Mar 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And the basement from Colony is mentioned in 16. But before Colony, she isn't really brought up except for them saying "This sounds like the work of Jane Prentiss."

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I do often get confused if I should know who the the narrator is talking matter-of-factly about on The Magnus Archives when trying to relate the current case to other cases/people. I wish episode numbers were referenced, or at least some sort of case number prefix which makes it obvious where I can go to refresh my memory.

MECHARL WINSLOW
Mar 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Generally I read the wiki article for each episode after I listen to it, since outside of a few character references, no way am I remembering a random name or case file number.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I keep meaning to do that with this newest episode but forgetting. Have we met whatshername before?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

I keep meaning to do that with this newest episode but forgetting. Have we met whatshername before?

Yeah, she's got a ghost hunting YouTube show and had an encounter on a hunt that was more related to a crew member than a haunting. Edit: Episode 28, "Skintight"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I'm still on about episode 19 of Magnus, so it's mostly still episodic. I think one or two episodes ago was a reference to the Scandinavian guy's library, and as far as I know that was the first callback.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Jurgan posted:

I'm still on about episode 19 of Magnus, so it's mostly still episodic. I think one or two episodes ago was a reference to the Scandinavian guy's library, and as far as I know that was the first callback.

There are callbacks all over the place. The early episodes sometimes get called back in recent ones. I think honestly it doesn't matter too much if you get them or not, since the episodic stories are where the fun is at.

Kind of like how Lovecraft stories all take place in the same universe and sometimes reference each other in minor ways but no one cares

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

There are callbacks all over the place. The early episodes sometimes get called back in recent ones. I think honestly it doesn't matter too much if you get them or not, since the episodic stories are where the fun is at.

Kind of like how Lovecraft stories all take place in the same universe and sometimes reference each other in minor ways but no one cares

Speaking of Lovecraft, there was a pretty funny slam on him in the latest Archive 81.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

Speaking of Lovecraft, there was a pretty funny slam on him in the latest Archive 81.

I've got that on back burner while I get through It was it the standard "he was a racist! :v:" slam?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Len posted:

I've got that on back burner while I get through It was it the standard "he was a racist! :v:" slam?

Yikes, tough crowd... He didn't just say "hah, racist!" He also joked about how Lovecraft used so many big words that it sounded like he probably made a lot of them up, and his habit of "describing things as indescribable." Mostly I just like when allusions are left unexplained; it makes me wonder what else I missed.

Also, "A New Winter" is back. I maintain that its biggest weakness is that it's a podcast. The story is pretty good, but the narrator doesn't even try to distinguish the voices, so I never know who's talking. I also forget some of the details of the story and characters. And every chapter ends the same way, with the music getting really loud and then cutting out just before he says something intended to shock (Magnus Archives does this sometimes, but a bit more subtle). I think it would work better in written form. After all, it is basically a spoken novel, and the episodes are more like chapters. Alice Isn't Dead is similar, but Disparition's producing/music and Jasika's acting really elevate it.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 7, 2017

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just finished Magnus Archives' first season, and hit the Q + A. I was pleased as punch that the writer drew some inspiration from Lights Out, this creepy old radio show I used to listen to on an oldies AM station when I was a kid. It's probably kinda tame now but in the dark as an 8 year old it was pretty good stuff. I was a huge nerd and listened to The Green Hornet and Dragnet and stuff, so this whole era of audio storytelling for free is basically my favorite drat thing these days.

https://archive.org/details/LightsOutoldTimeRadio

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

doctorfrog posted:

I just finished Magnus Archives' first season, and hit the Q + A. I was pleased as punch that the writer drew some inspiration from Lights Out, this creepy old radio show I used to listen to on an oldies AM station when I was a kid. It's probably kinda tame now but in the dark as an 8 year old it was pretty good stuff. I was a huge nerd and listened to The Green Hornet and Dragnet and stuff, so this whole era of audio storytelling for free is basically my favorite drat thing these days.

https://archive.org/details/LightsOutoldTimeRadio

What's up fellow Lights Out listener. That, Suspense, and Inner Sanctum probably traumatized me as a kid.

I still remember the one about this guy who found a weird creature below a drilling project. It killed his friends, and he ends up marrying it or something. It was super messed up to my 8-year old mind.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

LordZoric posted:

What's up fellow Lights Out listener. That, Suspense, and Inner Sanctum probably traumatized me as a kid.

I still remember the one about this guy who found a weird creature below a drilling project. It killed his friends, and he ends up marrying it or something. It was super messed up to my 8-year old mind.

The Thing on the Fourble Board

A classic.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Hughlander posted:

Seconded. I also like the body horror of Spines which hasn't gotten enough love here. Listen to the 1 minute long teasers.

I just finished Spines, and it's pretty rad. Good body horror, good foreshadowing, and a pretty cool concept. The narrator's detached tone is a little reminiscent of the PNWS podcasts, but she's got a more active role in the story so it stays interesting. Episodes are pretty short, so it's easy to listen to a couple and see if it's your thing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Episodes like today's are what keeps me listening to The Bright Sessions. That was really, really good!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Amateur Sketch posted:

I just finished Spines, and it's pretty rad. Good body horror, good foreshadowing, and a pretty cool concept. The narrator's detached tone is a little reminiscent of the PNWS podcasts, but she's got a more active role in the story so it stays interesting. Episodes are pretty short, so it's easy to listen to a couple and see if it's your thing.

I elevator pitched it to a friend as "Alice isn't dead" but episodic where poo poo happens each episode.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

New Leaf posted:

Episodes like today's are what keeps me listening to The Bright Sessions. That was really, really good!

It was, and I hope it finally kills off all the "Damien is a poor woobie who just needs a hug!" poo poo. I knew Damien was an asshat, but even I didn't expect him to go so far as threatening to make Sam kill herself. drat, that was dark. Also, loved the interaction between Wadsworth and Damien. That park must be enormous to contain both their egos.

In addition, after relistening to the previous episode, I agree there's not much to Rose, at least not yet. I'm sure Lauren has lots of notes about her and is seeding future stories, but "how do I tell my crush about my powers?" is literally Caleb's arc from season 1 and early 2. I think I was just annoyed that, had her crush been a man, people would have just ignored her and talked about the rest of the story. She really was only about a quarter of the episode. But because she was a lesbian, it became a whole "thing" for us to argue about.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

It was, and I hope it finally kills off all the "Damien is a poor woobie who just needs a hug!" poo poo. I knew Damien was an asshat, but even I didn't expect him to go so far as threatening to make Sam kill herself. drat, that was dark. Also, loved the interaction between Wadsworth and Damien. That park must be enormous to contain both their egos.

In addition, after relistening to the previous episode, I agree there's not much to Rose, at least not yet. I'm sure Lauren has lots of notes about her and is seeding future stories, but "how do I tell my crush about my powers?" is literally Caleb's arc from season 1 and early 2. I think I was just annoyed that, had her crush been a man, people would have just ignored her and talked about the rest of the story. She really was only about a quarter of the episode. But because she was a lesbian, it became a whole "thing" for us to argue about.

I know Tumblr is a huge thing and I can't blanket all of it. But Damien could literally murder someone and they would still be all "he's so innocent and misunderstood" just like it did with the Boston Bomber.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, I'm currently caught up and am looking for more podcasts to add to my ever growing list of content, here's what I've liked so far:

Wolf 359
Welcome to Nightvale
Within the wires
Kakos Industries
The Bright Sessions
Archive 81
King Falls AM
The Magnus Archives
The Orbiting Human Circus
Edict Zero: FIS
EOS: 10

Do you guys know of any other really good serialized fiction podcasts, or a repository of some sort that I could browse through that is much of the same stuff? I prefer comedy, but will definitely go for weird.

Oh man, I'm so stoked, Alba Salix: Royal Physician is getting a season 2!

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 11, 2017

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Wooden Overcoats is a good comedy serial. It's about competing funeral homes in a small British village. (Well, I say small.. it's very nearly a town!) The neurotic siblings who have run Funn Funerals their whole lives try to keep afloat against the charming newcomer across the square, usually via some harebrained scheme that goes awry. There's 2 seasons released already, not sure if a third is in the works yet or not.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Limetown is a classic

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Yes, Wooden Overcoats is great if you like dry British humor along the lines of Fawlty Towers. Most comedy podcasts are improv, but this one is tightly scripted and has a lot of small moments that you have to listen closely to catch.

Limetown is very good while it lasts, but it's only six episodes and ends on a cliffhanger that may never be resolved.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
My own Synesthesia Theatre has two self-contained seasons. Season 1 was a steampunk western, season 2 was a cyberpunk thriller. Season 3 is in pre-production, but I can't really guess as to how long it'll be before we can afford to make it happen.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Check out "a Scottish podcast". Really well done, plus no intro/outro or ads so binge listening it is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Check out SAYER as well. The story of a space station ran by an extremely efficient and amoral AI.

• Locked thread