Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

raditts posted:

Which one was the bad one :allears:

XII, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's going to probably hit 10 million sales by the end of the year, which is what it needed to break even lol.

FFXV made back the cost of development on day 1.

I think it's more surprising to me that I've been hearing insanely positive things about Hitman for more than a drat year and now apparently it didn't actually sell that well?

Wonder if they're reconsidering making FFVII episodic now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

Which one was the bad one :allears:
All of them / whatever one's your favorite of course.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For a game to be bad it requires you to remember anything about it, so I can safely say that FFXII is not bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

God I can't wait for FF7 remake

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You'll be a skeleton by the time it comes out

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
FF7 Remake Cancelled After Episode 1 Failed To Reach 10.4 Billion Copies Sold

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

good luck, skeleton

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saint Freak posted:

FF7 Remake Cancelled After Episode 1 Failed To Reach 10.4 Billion Copies Sold

I forgot they are doing it in episodes lol

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't want to be that heh look at me hot take guy, but man I have not cared about FF since X which I found profoundly disappointing given the hype at the time. Cool that other people were able to have fun with that franchise afterwards though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

X is kind of a low point but then X-2 is one of the greatest JRPGs ever so they redeemed themselves pretty quickly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I was 17 when FFX came out and to me it was a really solid RPG that told its story competently with some excellent art direction. But its most important function as we would later find out was being a precursor to the modern masterpiece and imho the most perfect JRPG ever, Final Fantasy X-2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
10 is low on the list for me but I liked it when it came out. Its one of the least fun games in the series to replay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

10 is low on the list for me but I liked it when it came out. Its one of the least fun games in the series to replay

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but I will probably never be able to revisit it because it's a bit too rigid mechanically and slow moving narratively. Also I drove myself insane catching 10x of every enemy which added like 20 hours to my playtime and that was a dark period in my life I'd rather not revisit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i liked final fantasy 6 and i like final fantasy tactics

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't really have much of an opinion on FFX's story, setting, and cast, but I love its battle system. I'm a sucker for a turn-based system where a major mechanic manipulating who gets turns when. I also love Grandia's combat system for being the same thing but with modified ATB.

exquisite tea posted:

It's going to probably hit 10 million sales by the end of the year, which is what it needed to break even lol.

They'll make their money back with a couple of follow-ups that reuse assets like they did with 13, and also probably make better games in the process like they did with 13.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

X-2 at least was upfront about you retrieving macguffins that are inherently worthless, which is hilarious. getting a sphere that shows just static...masterful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I don't want to be that heh look at me hot take guy, but man I have not cared about FF since X which I found profoundly disappointing given the hype at the time. Cool that other people were able to have fun with that franchise afterwards though.

I found 10 disappointing at the time, but really fell in love with 12, but that's the last numbered Final Fantasy I really liked. It's a notably different kind of game and I know some people don't like the way it tells its story or the fact that AI customization can make combat kind of hands-off, but I really like it, especially with the Zodiac Job System version.

I am very ready for the PS4 remaster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

X-2 at least was upfront about you retrieving macguffins that are inherently worthless, which is hilarious. getting a sphere that shows just static...masterful.

Not only that but in tortuously getting the 100% ending Yuna learns nothing and experiences no character development, which was meta as hell for 2002.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

X is weird because you should never do the sidequests ever as all those minigames and poo poo are the worst in the series. I've noticed the people that tried to engage them in any capacity have a real distaste for that game but I still think X is pretty fantastic because I just said "gently caress that" anytime something like that popped up. Also means you can't just steamroll everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You should definitely savescum to learn the Jecht shot however as that makes the Blitzball tournament a breeze, the only point in the game where you have to play Blitzball.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I stayed up for all night playing FFX on launch day just to play blitzball and I think, on some level, that's why I've hated every final fantasy since

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You should definitely savescum to learn the Jecht shot however as that makes the Blitzball tournament a breeze, the only point in the game where you have to play Blitzball.

Who cares about the blitzball tournament?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

X is weird because you should never do the sidequests ever as all those minigames and poo poo are the worst in the series. I've noticed the people that tried to engage them in any capacity have a real distaste for that game but I still think X is pretty fantastic because I just said "gently caress that" anytime something like that popped up. Also means you can't just steamroll everything.

I knew a dude in college who did everything in the original release of FFX. Caught a ton of monsters, did a ton of stat grinding and farming for spheres to get max stats, all of that. I'm down for some grinding every now and again, but I really couldn't fathom how or why he wanted to do that, especially because eventually every superboss turns into Tidus and Wakka doing their multi-hit Overdrives while Rikku uses Mixes and armor auto-abilities have everyone reviving each other when they get one-shot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

I don't really have much of an opinion on FFX's story, setting, and cast, but I love its battle system. I'm a sucker for a turn-based system where a major mechanic manipulating who gets turns when. I also love Grandia's combat system for being the same thing but with modified ATB.
You should play the Trails series, if you aren't already (if you're a Falcom thread regular I apologize for forgetting).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

Who cares about the blitzball tournament?

I play to win.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

Were they ever not? I thought they did this kinda poo poo all the time.

Yeah I mean it's been a pretty steady slide into the shitheap since FF8 came out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think it's impossible to put together a Final Fantasy in 2017 that I wouldn't like either, as Bravely Default is a classic FF in all but name but with a ton of QOL improvements, a superlative job/battle system, and rocking music and it's one of my favorite JRPGs of the past generation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

You should play the Trails series, if you aren't already (if you're a Falcom thread regular I apologize for forgetting).

I haven't actually played those yet! Trails in the Sky is on my list after I do some Etrian Odyssey. Going by videos it looks like its combat is halfway between Grandia and FFX, in that you move around a 2D field but it's also fully turn-based instead of pseudo-ATB, right?

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think it's impossible to put together a Final Fantasy in 2017 that I wouldn't like either, as Bravely Default is a classic FF in all but name but with a ton of QOL improvements, a superlative job/battle system, and rocking music and it's one of my favorite JRPGs of the past generation.

It'll never happen but I'd love it if FF16 went "back to its roots" and just did a super high production value game with classic ATB and a job system and poo poo. I have no idea if it would even be viable from a marketing standpoint--Persona 5 is doing very well as a polished, turn-based JRPG on console, but at the same time, it had a much smaller budget and team than what S-E would throw at a Final Fantasy game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

I haven't actually played those yet! Trails in the Sky is on my list after I do some Etrian Odyssey. Going by videos it looks like its combat is halfway between Grandia and FFX, in that you move around a 2D field but it's also fully turn-based instead of pseudo-ATB, right?

It's turn based yeah, but turns are a bit fluid since high speed gets you more turns, you can delay enemy turns (and be delayed yourself), magic takes two turns to cast and usually comes with a significant delay so that has to be planned around. It's a really fun system that's not quite like any other game I've ever played.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also Re: Trails battle systems, you can cut in line to manipulate the turn order via S-Breaks, either to deliver a heavy hit to enemies, ensure your characters get certain bonuses on later turns, or to stop an enemy from getting a turn during certain moments. During harder boss fights this becomes paramount and very necessary to master. It's fun!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

It's turn based yeah, but turns are a bit fluid since high speed gets you more turns, you can delay enemy turns (and be delayed yourself), magic takes two turns to cast and usually comes with a significant delay so that has to be planned around. It's a really fun system that's not quite like any other game I've ever played.

Nate RFB posted:

Also Re: Trails battle systems, you can cut in line to manipulate the turn order via S-Breaks, either to deliver a heavy hit to enemies, ensure your characters get certain bonuses on later turns, or to stop an enemy from getting a turn during certain moments. During harder boss fights this becomes paramount and very necessary to master. It's fun!

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of turn-based system I like, so that sounds right up my alley. I like playing with turn order, delaying enemy turns, giving myself more turns, that kind of thing. Just about the only thing that could make me love Persona more is if it had a combat system like that :v:

Grandia might actually be one of my favorite JRPG combat systems because it does all that while also being ATB, and that's really cool. I also love Radiant Historia's combat as another turn-based/turn-manipulation combat system. (Every once in a while I remember how fantastic Radiant Historia is.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/862638504114835459

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk how I feel about "games for 2017" + Mario

maybe a few new things are being released between June and November but I guess they're focusing more on the here and now, not so much on anything for 2018? If Virtual Console isn't on the docket idk what else is beyond ARMS/Spla2n.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like that better than CGI trailers of games coming out in like 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nintendo is one of the few companies that will actually announce a game a few months before release anymore.

That said they made an E3 that was basically just Breath of the Wild all plateau all the time interesting so who the hell knows.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Help Im Alive posted:

I like that better than CGI trailers of games coming out in like 2019

Or stuff that gets canceled

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Extremely busy on trip so I didn't really get a chance to play SMT4 at all except for a bit on the flight back- feel like I'm getting the hang of it but you still just kinda randomly get wiped every once in a while. It's amazing how quickly things can just go off the loving rails and you get wiped out. At least the game doesn't end if the protag dies.... They just make no effort whatsoever to ease you into the game- first dungeon is calibrated for someone who already knows what they're doing in the game it feels like.

I... I won't play on Easy! I won't do it!!

Coming from Persona 4 this game feels much more austere and lacking in personality. Talking to the demons is goofy and fun, though. They're capricious, flighty assholes who will steal all your stuff but I appreciate the effort to give them a little personality in the dialogue. One minute you're talking to some violent Scottish blood ghost who v much just wants to kill you and the next it's a weird Chinese bird with the head of a man that the localization team decided to make talk like an old guy for some reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Extremely busy on trip so I didn't really get a chance to play SMT4 at all except for a bit on the flight back- feel like I'm getting the hang of it but you still just kinda randomly get wiped every once in a while. It's amazing how quickly things can just go off the loving rails and you get wiped out. At least the game doesn't end if the protag dies.... They just make no effort whatsoever to ease you into the game- first dungeon is calibrated for someone who already knows what they're doing in the game it feels like.

I... I won't play on Easy! I won't do it!!

Coming from Persona 4 this game feels much more austere and lacking in personality. Talking to the demons is goofy and fun, though. They're capricious, flighty assholes who will steal all your stuff but I appreciate the effort to give them a little personality in the dialogue. One minute you're talking to some violent Scottish blood ghost who v much just wants to kill you and the next it's a weird Chinese bird with the head of a man that the localization team decided to make talk like an old guy for some reason

It gets very wild soon, I absolutely love the setting of Smt4 and apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are you still in the first big dungeon? Things get much more interesting, story- and setting-wise, immediately after that. (Also, the game gets a lot easier.)

• Locked thread