Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i call on my persona, MARLOWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
Would be into a game where following the true ending path would actually lead you to the bad ending.

Like some morality piece about how obsession leads to destruction.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

Would be into a game where following the true ending path would actually lead you to the bad ending.

Bravely Default should have done this

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Masayoshi Shido: the only man powerful enough to goatse all of Japan.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

So Undertale.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
Sure but in a game I want to play. And also in a series that has already trained you to constantly push for the true ending.

Honestly, the reason the Igor twist is good in this is circumstance and the meta concept that igor is functionally a mechanic, not a character in the games. Add the fact that you can change the voice actor because of real world circumstances and people accept it and it's a true twist.

Now apply that to the mechanic of "make the right decision and the game continues" and turn that on its head.

Like maybe a scenario where the themes of the game do not include "rebel against oppressive apathy" and the choice to continue to fight the holy grail could be flipped.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Masayoshi Shido: the only man powerful enough to goatse all of Japan.

Is this a challenge?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

Bloodborne, arguably, though really all the endings are just different kinds of horrific

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

This is a bad poster

Like everything about this says "I an a man who abused my wife and son

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
If I Did It, by Masayoshi Shido

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Moltrey posted:

This is a bad poster

Even his first name is just the least subtle way to say that this guy is an arch-villain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Masayoshi Shido: TRY AND STOP ME

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Moltrey posted:

This is a bad poster

I know I am, but I treat my family very well, thank you.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
About Akechi, I wonder if the reason he only has two personas isn't because he's such a failboy, but instead because nobody ever told him how to negotiate with shadows. Justine and Caroline might have, but I could just see him meeting them once and then deciding to completely avoid the Velvet Room from then on, so they never got the chance.

S'awright.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Montegoraon posted:

About Akechi, I wonder if the reason he only has two personas isn't because he's such a failboy, but instead because nobody ever told him how to negotiate with shadows. Justine and Caroline might have, but I could just see him meeting them once and then deciding to completely avoid the Velvet Room from then on, so they never got the chance.

Akechi is so maladjusted when it comes to social interaction that it's pretty likely all Shadows were kill-on-sight to him, yes (either that or he just frenzied them with Loki and went on his way while they were busy eating each other). I like the idea that Robin Hood is his only other Persona because the protagonist is the only other S. Link he ever formed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Akechi is so maladjusted when it comes to social interaction that it's pretty likely all Shadows were kill-on-sight to him, yes (either that or he just frenzied them with Loki and went on his way while they were busy eating each other). I like the idea that Robin Hood is his only other Persona because the protagonist is the only other S. Link he ever formed.

Yeah, I really like the idea that Robin Hood is the Persona he formed using his relationship with Joker. It'd be really fitting, I think.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

So... NieR?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Oxxidation posted:

Masayoshi Shido: TRY AND STOP ME

Someone in this thread or the other said that your Shadow self is an exaggeration and that if the villains met their shadow selves they would disagree with them. Shido would totally high five the poo poo out of his shadow self

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Akechi's only form of normal conversation is to talk about foodstands he camps out at. I doubt any of the shadows wanna hear about a cool noodle place he stakes out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Someone in this thread or the other said that your Shadow self is an exaggeration and that if the villains met their shadow selves they would disagree with them. Shido would totally high five the poo poo out of his shadow self

There's basically no distinction in personality between Shido and his Shadow and as a result his Shadow's demonic form is far less distorted than any of the others and basically just an idealised version of himself, I thought it was a clever touch.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Real Shido is just a bald guy. Shadow Shido, he is a CHAR.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Senator Char Armstrong

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Akechi's only form of normal conversation is to talk about foodstands he camps out at. I doubt any of the shadows wanna hear about a cool noodle place he stakes out.
Hey! The artbook specifies he checks out more out of the way shops and higher class resturants, please do not debase him by saying he goes to noodle stalls. Kid's probably checking out fun shokudos and writing good yelp reviews

ROFL Octopus posted:

Akechi had a shithouse life, there's no question there. But it doesn't take much mental maturity to understand that murder is bad.

Imo that's what's so fascinating about Akechi, both acknowledging his deplorable childhood (and apparently being a bastard means more in Japan? either way it doesn't factor into my perception of him) and his unforgivable actions.

Either way, I don't think his final scene would have meant nearly as much if he hadn't knowingly committed irredeemable acts.
Someone made the point a page or so back that Goro was like 14, maybe 15 when he discovered the Metaverse and I feel he kinda just stopped there. The clothes, the weapons, the way he talks to the other students at the Culture Festival saying Please Don't Troll Me Online, I honestly don't think he has enough mental maturity. Yea, by fourteen you should know that Murder Bad, don't hurt people, but I've never trusted a fourteen year old to make good life choices about anything ever.

It doesn't excuse his actions or his ego, but that's what's tragic and interesting about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My girlfriend can't understand why people like Akechi, but I think I'd say that I like him as a character. I mean, he isn't likable by any means, but I think he's a really compelling character and that counts for a lot more.

multijoe posted:

There's basically no distinction in personality between Shido and his Shadow and as a result his Shadow's demonic form is far less distorted than any of the others and basically just an idealised version of himself, I thought it was a clever touch.

Oh, that is a good touch. I actually didn't really notice that but you're right.

To be fair, Shadow Okumura didn't differ physically too much from the real Okumura, either. He just had blue skin and a space suit. But at the same time, it also seemed like he wasn't too terribly far off from the real Okumura, either--much more open about his greed and more vocal about his disregard for his daughter's happiness, but the real Okumura was cold as hell to Haru already. So the theory checks out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kaneshiro was pretty similar to his Shadow and they looked fairly different, so I'm not sure how much that argument holds water. Yeah he had some deep-rooted fears but nothing that much of a mask like it was for Kamoshida or Madarame.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

FractalSandwich posted:

I'll be surprised if they go back at this point. "Success breeds repetition" and all that.

"Popularity leads to intimacy."

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think the original statement was in regards to Madarame and how he's treated in Yusuke's s.link but it completely falls flat for the villains post Madarame.

I don't consider Futaba's or Sae's shadow villains

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 11, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In contrast, Shadow Sae is loving, spike choker, sunhat on, titties out and almost unrecognizable as Sae to show that while Sae does have distorted desires, she is more separated from them then other targets. I saw portraits of Shadow Sae On The Internet before release and like, actually didn't put together it was Sae and just thought it was some goth woman I was mad I couldn't romance

also why doesn't your girlfriend like cute anime boys, wth

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Endorph posted:

the male best friend character is always the best character in these games

yes that includes junpei

yes that includes yosuke

Agreed, Morgana is the best.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

In contrast, Shadow Sae is loving, spike choker, sunhat on, titties out and almost unrecognizable as Sae

Yeah, it owns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I think the original statement was in regards to Madarame and how he's treated in Yusuke's s.link but it completely falls flat for the villains post Madarame.

I kinda think it still works, maybe even for Kamoshida. I think if he saw the way his Shadow was talking and acting even he'd think it was over the top. Then again, maybe he'd just be jealous of his Shadow's personal bikini Ann, I dunno.

But also after Madarame, the only Shadow who transforms into something truly monstrous is Shadow Sae who, like Moltrey pointed out, is something that the real Sae would absolutely recoil from. Kaneshiro just gets bug eyes but his "big monster" form is just a giant piggy bank he pilots. Futaba's Shadow stays in human form all the way up until it pulls a Persona 4 and becomes her Persona. Okumura's Shadow isn't physically very distorted and, at the same time, is just a more honest version of how the real Okumura acts every day.

Moltrey posted:

also why doesn't your girlfriend like cute anime boys, wth

She's more of a Yusuke fan

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah, it owns.
don't talk like this about my beautiful wife

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yusuke is by far the most eligible boy.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

She's more of a Yusuke fan
Good taste.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Who DOESN'T like Yusuke?

Who genuinely likes Mishima?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

I kinda think it still works, maybe even for Kamoshida. I think if he saw the way his Shadow was talking and acting even he'd think it was over the top. Then again, maybe he'd just be jealous of his Shadow's personal bikini Ann, I dunno.

But also after Madarame, the only Shadow who transforms into something truly monstrous is Shadow Sae who, like Moltrey pointed out, is something that the real Sae would absolutely recoil from. Kaneshiro just gets bug eyes but his "big monster" form is just a giant piggy bank he pilots. Futaba's Shadow stays in human form all the way up until it pulls a Persona 4 and becomes her Persona. Okumura's Shadow isn't physically very distorted and, at the same time, is just a more honest version of how the real Okumura acts every day.

Yeah, it's not a hard and fast rule but most of the heist targets have some level of cognitive dissonance separating their conscious personalities from their Shadows and the ones with the biggest gulfs have the weirdest bosses (Kamoshida, Madarame, Sae), whereas Shido appears to be wholly consumed by his desires to the point that he and his Shadow are pretty much one and the same, thus his boss fight being a much more authentic depiction of himself.

Lakbay posted:

Who DOESN'T like Yusuke?

Who genuinely likes Mishima?

I feel a sympathetic pity towards Mishima. I never dunked on him because nothing could be worse than being himself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To be perfectly fair, Yusuke doesn't give off the best first impression, trying to blackmail Ann into posing nude for him.

And to be perfectly fair, Mishima seems like a harmless well-meaning kid getting painfully bullied by Kamoshida and unwillingly helping him.

Then you find out that Yusuke is just a dork and Mishima is a goober.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn't mind Mishima when he wasn't pulling a gun out of his backback or trying to have me murder the brains of celebrity boyfriends.

That said I dunked on him every time it was a group setting, because it's important to look cool at his expense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was pretty mean to Mishima every chance I got for a while, but by about rank 8 of his confidant he started to actually grow and become not a total shithead. I never really liked Mishima, but by the end I couldn't help but be a little proud of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I would've been bummed having to room w/ him instead of my buddy Ryuji, but he's the only guy in class that doesn't think I'm going to shank him, so we all kinda have to make sacrifices. I was always pretty decent to him. Figured one of the few people who knows who the Phantoms are and is actively supporting them maybe isn't the kinda guy you want against you, especially given how big the Phan-Site is supposed to become.

• Locked thread