Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Speed runs of this game have gotten under 10 minutes, this is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do people even pay attention to game scores now? Over the past few years everyone has finally learned that game scores are proportionate to the free poo poo publishers give gaming journalists.

If I want to know if a game is good I can play a demo or go on Twitch and watch someone play it.

No, people pay attention to their favorite YouTubers and streamers. Traditional games media scores are a long standing joke to the point that "10/10 - IGN" is now a repeated meme.

Blattdorf posted:

Turrets are actually pretty good against standard enemies as long as you can keep them focused on you.

You'll be getting tons of scrap anyway, so it doesn't hurt to fortify them.

Nearly missed this on the last page. Yeah even if they get wrecked within moments turrets have their uses as an early warning system if nothing else.

I "fortified" the area directly outside the main lift in the space garden with what I thought was a good series of 4 well placed interlinked firing arc turrets.

When I came back there was a nightmare and all of his friends just chilling in what I thought was a safe area. Never even found what happened to the wreckage of some of my pitiful defenses.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 11, 2017

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
On their own turrets won't deal with anything bigger than a mimic really. Even if they're not destroyed they just get knocked over and stop shooting.
They work as damage dealers if you gloo the enemies and have turrets shoot them at the same time, easily beaten the nightmare several times that way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Truecon420 posted:

When do ya get the first recycler grenade? I've cleared the lobby and starting area
They'll start coming at you quickly in the next area, but some are in the starting zone but only available after you gain access to the lobby.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well, I beat Prey. I had a lot of fun playing through it, and I told myself even if the ending was complete poo poo, it would still be way better than BioShock was.

I can confidently say this game is way better than Bioshock.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Ravenfood posted:

They'll start coming at you quickly in the next area, but some are in the starting zone but only available after you gain access to the lobby.

Thanks.

I asked above but was way too long winded- does anyone know if this game has console commands?

I'm having problems with permanent GLOO in the women's restroom door in the lobby. I smash it til it disappears but the collision remains

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://puu.sh/vMxww/b47a44f956.webm

I really love that the 'pick up item' prompt still appears when you're hovering over a mimic.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

CJacobs posted:

I really love that the 'pick up item' prompt still appears when you're hovering over a mimic.

Yeah...I tried picking that one up. I saw the other gun lying right next to it, and mine was even standing straight up on maybe a pixel of the grip...but I'm a dumb sucker and like shiny things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I figured the other gun would be the mimic because it's sitting in a more unnatural position on the floor. They sure showed me! :downs:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game looks loving cool as hell, but I heard it was kinda short. Is it 15-20hrs short, or 5-10 hours short?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Pollyanna posted:

This game looks loving cool as hell, but I heard it was kinda short. Is it 15-20hrs short, or 5-10 hours short?

It really depends on your curiosity. You can beeline for the exit in under an hour if you feel so inclined, but if you want to really explore, it may take you north of 20 hours. I'm more than 20 hours in and I'm still ways away from the ending, and I may play again because the game is flexible enough to allow different playstyles.

It's a place you explore, not a series of plot-locked doors.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I'm 17 hours in and just got back into the station through the cargo bay after the security lockdown. I'm not sure how far along that is, but I don't think it's particularly close to the end.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

enigmatikone posted:

Did you use an alien power near them? They don't like that.

Nah, loaded into the area from life support and went straight there. No powers used or nothing, hell I even reloaded to a save a few hours previous and the same thing happened. Disappointing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It turns out even your own saves could be mimics!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's about 20~25 hours if you explore and do sidequests

I've put way more into that since there was a ton of the station I didn't explore during my first playthrough

Coolant Chamber sidequest and main story: It's funny that if you save Mikhalia while you don't have Alex's lockdown in effect it'll probably remove the tension of the restart sequence since you have to get her medicine within 2 hours AND restart the reactor. Unless that sequence changes if you saved her early, I'm avoiding Deep Storage and seeing how much of the station is open and only the Cargo Bay section where Elazar hangs out is plot locked

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

There's a fun log in the power plant before the outbreak, a guy tried to put a new component into a high-voltage electrical system and it just sort of fizzled and melted into horrid black goo. Cue retreat to office with a bottle of whiskey.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
I love that they got Walton Goggins and decided to have him voice an NPC you interact with for like 2 minutes. :allears:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Beat the game on the peaceful ending...

My thoughts: I liked it.

Also I would really like a sequel

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
On PC I hated the hacking mini-game but honestly at 20 hours playtime I'm basically just doing them effortlessly, drifting through narrow halls and tight corners.

I feel like the max level of Electrostatick should just auto hack if able.

Does anyone notice any difference with the audio? I played for about 4-5 hours post patch last night and didn't really notice anything different and if anything feel like everything is WAY quieter now. I pretty much leave my desktop monitors on 45-50% for everything but the music isn't slapping me in the face like it was, and honestly I'd gotten so used to it that I missed it.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

Did anyone have frame rate issues when they got to the main reactor chamber? The game ran at a rock-solid 60fps for my whole playthrough except for that one room in which the FPS poo poo the bed big time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Does anyone notice any difference with the audio? I played for about 4-5 hours post patch last night and didn't really notice anything different and if anything feel like everything is WAY quieter now. I pretty much leave my desktop monitors on 45-50% for everything but the music isn't slapping me in the face like it was, and honestly I'd gotten so used to it that I missed it.

The audio feels A LOT better now.
The scare music cues aren't blowing my eardrums out and objective complete sound isn't startling me every single time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are all these fixes for the PC version only or is the PS4 version also good? I got it on PS4 and I hope it's not gimped or anything.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

warburg posted:

Did anyone have frame rate issues when they got to the main reactor chamber? The game ran at a rock-solid 60fps for my whole playthrough except for that one room in which the FPS poo poo the bed big time.

Same. Serious chugging and stuttering there. The rest of the game was super smooth.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Are all these fixes for the PC version only or is the PS4 version also good? I got it on PS4 and I hope it's not gimped or anything.

PC version only at the moment, controls on PS4 kinda floaty

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

warburg posted:

Oh definitely. I tried messing with the settings but nothing helped. I figure it has to be some kind of effect that is only present there (framerate seemed to drop when looking at the center of the room)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Do I really want to do the sidequest where you put a thing on a satellite to make the nightmares stop chasing me? They're not super dangerous and they give a bunch of exotic material.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mymla posted:

Do I really want to do the sidequest where you put a thing on a satellite to make the nightmares stop chasing me? They're not super dangerous and they give a bunch of exotic material.

nah, and you only get to dismiss it three times

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is there a way to do that sidequest without Repair 3?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If these researches didn't want their microscope to get shot then maybe they should pick up after themselves and not leave that expensive scientific equipment in the middle of the floor.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Is there a way to do that sidequest without Repair 3?

There's a hole in the door, so you can turn into a cup and roll down, or probably shoot the button with the nerf gun or use remote manipulation.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If these researches didn't want their microscope to get shot then maybe they should pick up after themselves and not leave that expensive scientific equipment in the middle of the floor.

My favorite lab was the one where every item in the lab (and there were a LOT of items) had a "NOT A MIMIC" post-it note on it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I had the the Nightmare spawn when I renewed the neuromod licenses and I thought they only had a chance to spawn when you installed a Typhon mod

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Quinton posted:

My favorite lab was the one where every item in the lab (and there were a LOT of items) had a "NOT A MIMIC" post-it note on it.

That entire lab was tense as gently caress, because I was thinking "wouldn't a mimic be able to copy the note as well"?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished the game last night, it took me ~25 hours on nightmare and that was after doing every sidequest I could find. The ending was a bit weak, mainly because it came in the form of an exposition dump after the credits. I suppose the actual idea behind it isn't that bad but there has to be a better way of doing it than what they ultimately went with. Did it twice so I could see the changes between setting off the neuroshock and blowing up the station, but it only seems to effect the five second cutscene before the credits and a single line of dialogue in the after-credit sequence.

There's no way to actually scan the Apex, right? January had some line about how if I tried to scan it I would go insane so I thought that might be an option, but all the airlocks besides the Cargo Bay are blocked off on the station map. The one down there is stuck inside the Apex matter which instakills you if you try to go through it.

Fantastic game overall though not without its faults. Could have done with a bit more enemy/weapon variety and a lot of the typhon mods seem kind of useless, but psychoshocking a phantom and blasting it with a shotgun is satisfying enough that I didn't mind too much. Certainly a game I'll play through again to make a few specific choices and see how different things are affected. Specifically killing January before it can kill December, and killing or stunning the fake cook before he can trap me in the freezer and escape.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah as far as I can tell you can only scan the tentacles. Which is a shame because going face to face with that kind of stuff in hard vaccum is a beloved space trope.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Man, this game is getting some harsh reviews.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

khwarezm posted:

Reviewers pissy they didn't get an early review copy, game could have been the second coming of Christ and still get sucky reviews.

Serf
May 5, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Probably has a little to do with Bethesda's antagonistic relationship with the press.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Plus the game has kind of a slow start and is somewhat difficult, and since the average reviewer has the mind of a fly it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How far did the demo go? I know most people said they hated that