Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jason Sextro posted:

it's absolutely not the refuse heap of the internet

No, it is excellent in all ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yea Reddit is a giant pile of poo poo, unlike all these other awesome message boards.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I wish I could tap Reddit and drain all the free time people have for endless discussions. Then I would redirect it into good family and Stellaris time.

But alas, I have to settle for poo poo posting in a dead gay comedy forum :negative:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec&t=84s

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
When you start running out of money and you've borrowed as much as humanly possible, you freak out.

You freak out by not being at the office, by making excuses to not show up to meetings. You never see the people you owe because you're too busy perfecting some portion of their investment. You freak out and don't return phone calls or have underlings take them in your stead. You freak out by letting bills lapse but you keep the power on and payroll scraping by because once you lose one of those, that's it. You can't come back.

You freak out because your latest partner isn't willing to lend you more money. They can lend you time and expertise but that's not what you need right now, right now you need their money. You freak out but you can't beg because that's admitting something that can't happen, that the entire company you've been put in charge of is on the precipice of failure. You freak out because you, yourself, are on that same ledge. Below you is nothing but a deep hole. You freak out because you've already thrown so much money down that hole, so much time and effort, so many promises, and yet that hole isn't any closer to being filled.

Admitting defeat here isn't an option or you'll freak out. Show no weakness. Put those smiles on. You're not sleeping but what important person can? People are counting on you, have invested in you, believe in you.

You freak out but when things finally go south and the truth comes out, you realize it's not so bad. You had a good run. You tried to accomplish what no one else dared. Look at the amazing community you've created about your product. You still have money and time and things are always better than you imagine them.

You freak out because you waited until the dust cleared and you've started another company, another project, this time without the problems of the last one. You've learned so much, understand the pitfalls, and now you're ready for another go.

Just don't freak out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Uh, dude? Taxxe is now supposed to be pre-op transsexuals in swimwear. :colbert:

You didn't specify species, or that it couldn't have a third eye.

And I eschew your hetero-normative speciest agenda.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yea Reddit is a giant pile of poo poo, unlike all these other awesome message boards.

I think there's a heirarchy;

Youtube comments -> local newspaper comments -> national newspaper comments -> Reddit -> Forums -> Derek's blog -> Dead gay comedy forums

TheAgent posted:

Just don't freak out.

Quit doxxing me. I only need it until Tuesday, then I can totally repay everyone.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

Context: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6497041/#Comment_6497041
Thread Context: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2591

Yeah, I had to google because I couldn't remember when this actually was. if you think these guys are writing low-level drivers, then I have some box-handling code you should look at. Driver design is so black box you can hide a keylogger in it....

Yeah, it's not so much that I believe they are, and a whole lot more that I believe they would be stupid enough to try and also… ehrm… sufficiently competent to get a keylogger in there to further circumvent their own non-working 2FA security. :D

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

TheAgent posted:

When you start running out of money and you've borrowed as much as humanly possible, you freak out.

You freak out by not being at the office, by making excuses to not show up to meetings. You never see the people you owe because you're too busy perfecting some portion of their investment. You freak out and don't return phone calls or have underlings take them in your stead. You freak out by letting bills lapse but you keep the power on and payroll scraping by because once you lose one of those, that's it. You can't come back.

You freak out because your latest partner isn't willing to lend you more money. They can lend you time and expertise but that's not what you need right now, right now you need their money. You freak out but you can't beg because that's admitting something that can't happen, that the entire company you've been put in charge of is on the precipice of failure. You freak out because you, yourself, are on that same ledge. Below you is nothing but a deep hole. You freak out because you've already thrown so much money down that hole, so much time and effort, so many promises, and yet that hole isn't any closer to being filled.

Admitting defeat here isn't an option or you'll freak out. Show no weakness. Put those smiles on. You're not sleeping but what important person can? People are counting on you, have invested in you, believe in you.

You freak out but when things finally go south and the truth comes out, you realize it's not so bad. You had a good run. You tried to accomplish what no one else dared. Look at the amazing community you've created about your product. You still have money and time and things are always better than you imagine them.

You freak out because you waited until the dust cleared and you've started another company, another project, this time without the problems of the last one. You've learned so much, understand the pitfalls, and now you're ready for another go.

Just don't freak out.

Well that's not very cheery.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
has anyone said

The Tickler in Black fled across the Spectrum and the Warlord followed.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Erenthal posted:

has anyone said

The Tickler in Black fled across the Spectrum and the Warlord followed.

What if the warlord was the tickler in black all along ?

Zzr fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 11, 2017

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
You don't parp with your mouth. Those who parp with their mouths let bubbles come out. You parp with your mind.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

TheAgent posted:

here's how things go, as was told to me last year

since Roberts has final approval on everything, artists or designers send the absolute best version of whatever they have to him. this includes hi res, hi poly mods that will not be used in game, as well as ultra res textures. if Roberts kicks your poo poo back down to you, you get a pretty severe dressing down, usually during a meeting. one of my friends (she's working on the new SW game) got talked down to in front of her entire team, causing her to quit.

but it doesn't end there. he places a flag on your work afterwards, so he will always double check for "problems" with whatever you send him. keep in mind he receives hundreds of emails like this a week, so the shitlist people get looked at first.

what he doesn't check is anything gameplay related. assets are what he really cares about, and as my friend said, "the cinematic feel" of said assets. one of the things Roberts used to go on about is that "gameplay organically grows" from what they create.

I know I posted about all this before in some fashion, but it's been awhile

Pretty much every postmortem analysis of a successful game says that they achieved what they did by having a clear limit of the game's scope and by not micromanaging their teams. But Star Citizen is completely different because

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hello
  • RSI/CIG has time scheduled on the pc gaming show
  • unknown if a taped interview or part of a sizzle reel
  • pc gaming show is now sponsored by intel
  • will showcase a few amazon games as well
  • "I think they're completely unprepared."
  • CIG wanted dedicated segment to show off new ships (??)
  • external conversations about 3.0 have dropped the alpha description
  • "The next step in the evolution of Star Citizen."
  • "Unparalleled emergent gameplay and fidelity."
  • Roberts: "[...]showcases the stunning visuals and core concepts that I hold to the highest standard."
  • "Much more than a space sim, Star Citizen contains thousands of hours of scripted and unscripted gameplay."
  • new free-to-play model: no need to buy game package, f2p accounts do not start out with a ship
  • loaner ships will be able to be rented for real world currencies, can charge by hour or use

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wouldn't surprise me if they pulled out at the last minute, same as last year

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and those loaner ships, as was explained to me, are all player owned

so maybe moma was right

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

so maybe moma was right

holy poo poo. The inside info. Like he talked about renting out his ships to make money. lol

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Also thats a pyramid scheme lmao

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Rent this beautiful ship for only $1 a day !

But sir you're a streamer and were given that for free for promotional purposes

Rent this beautiful ship for only .50 a day !

I'll take 2 !!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
some of the copy going out about 3.0 reads like its a fully released game lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Also thats a pyramid scheme lmao

It's certainly legally complex. And by that, I mean, holy gently caress.

In, Jesus-capacity-checking-is-boring-news;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-04-19/silicon-valley-s-400-juicer-may-be-feeling-the-squeeze

"But after the product hit the market, some investors were surprised to discover a much cheaper alternative: You can squeeze the Juicero bags with your bare hands. Two backers said the final device was bulkier than what was originally pitched and that they were puzzled to find that customers could achieve similar results without it. Bloomberg performed its own press test, pitting a Juicero machine against a reporter’s grip. The experiment found that squeezing the bag yields nearly the same amount of juice just as quickly—and in some cases, faster—than using the device."

TheAgent posted:

I smell a lawsuit.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • new free-to-play model: no need to buy game package, f2p accounts do not start out with a ship
  • loaner ships will be able to be rented for real world currencies, can charge by hour or use

I want to believe. This would be so perfect.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Drunk Theory posted:

We'll all be able to pretend to be pgabz

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The comments and likes/dislikes are still open. Color me surprised.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • RSI/CIG has time scheduled on the pc gaming show
  • unknown if a taped interview or part of a sizzle reel
  • pc gaming show is now sponsored by intel
  • will showcase a few amazon games as well
  • "I think they're completely unprepared."
  • CIG wanted dedicated segment to show off new ships (??)
  • external conversations about 3.0 have dropped the alpha description
  • "The next step in the evolution of Star Citizen."
  • "Unparalleled emergent gameplay and fidelity."
  • Roberts: "[...]showcases the stunning visuals and core concepts that I hold to the highest standard."
  • "Much more than a space sim, Star Citizen contains thousands of hours of scripted and unscripted gameplay."

this is good for star citizen :suicide:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Daztek posted:

We'll all be able to pretend to be pgabz

Exactly my first thought. Imagine a game filled with commandos with thousands in this shitheep, playing in tandem with people who created a spaceman with a fake e-mail address to steal ships.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Drunk Theory posted:

Seriously. I *can* play panhandler in a science-fiction setting. This is a gamechanger for me.

Does anyone know if there will be fire extinguishers?

Drunk Theory posted:

Exactly my first thought. Imagine a game filled with commandos with thousands in this shitheep, playing in tandem with people who created a spaceman with a fake e-mail address to steal ships.

A disturbance in the force, like a million souls shouting 'lol'.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

So we could grief a guy that paid real money to loan a ship ? Like he loaned it for 5 hours, it's destroyed at its first spam, will he have to pay the full lenght ? That would be glorious and make commandos o9 happy.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Not sure if posted yet , but

Chris spouting poo poo again

Interesting part at the very end

"Roberts is using Amazon’s Lumberyardgame engine to build Star Citizen as well as the related Squadron 42 title."

So are they just pretending like they've been using lumberyard all a long ? And not just for the past 6 months or so

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So how much will I get paid to suffer through star citizen? It better beat minimum wage or :laffo:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Not sure if posted yet , but

Chris spouting poo poo again

Interesting part at the very end

"Roberts is using Amazon’s Lumberyardgame engine to build Star Citizen as well as the related Squadron 42 title."

So are they just pretending like they've been using lumberyard all a long ? And not just for the past 6 months or so

quote:

VentureBeat's PC Gaming channel is presented by the Intel® Game Dev program.
man intel is really bettin hard on the roberts since amd dropped him like flaming poo poo

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

post exerpts

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ask for proof and get opinion, the star citizen way since 2013

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't have em, email is gone and this was a face to face conversation

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If nothing else we can be thankful for OSC for tying Citizens up in a two week long game of Guess Who?, sparing us from their usual insanity.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TheAgent posted:

so maybe moma was right

Star Citizen: Maybe Moma was Right

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

D_Smart posted:

NYT: Video Game Raised $148 Million From Fans. Now It’s Raising Issues

Apparently a series of articles coming; like the Kotaku-UK ones.

OldSchoolCmdr wrote a masterful post about the citizens reaction to this article.

That OldSchoolCommando post is a thing of beauty. The only problem is that it's around 3 or 4 years late. OSC is great but he thinks if the community can clean up their act, it will somehow help Star Citizen become a reality.
1) Reddit/Star Citizen loyalists will never reform in time
2) The community has not even the slightest sway on Chris

We are at least 2 years past the point where all you can do is point and laugh. Someone ask OSC to estimate the amount of funds CIG has left. With his background and effort; I'd trust the hell out of any number he says.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

I don't have em, email is gone and this was a face to face conversation

if you cant cite peer reviewed sources then I must assume you are lying GOON

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Who poo poo up moma's av? Mods put it back to the good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DavidSwofford/status/862696102335827968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aLyiI2odhU