Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I just realized something. I went back to the RSI referral program video to look at the comments, and while the video was playing, realized they pulled another ToS maneuver.

Sure, you win the trip to GamesCom and a "chance" to meet Chris Roberts.

A chance.

"But I didn't get to meet Chris!"

"All we promised was a chance. Not a hard cold fact. Sorry your chance didn't work out, kid."

Also, what is the German term for roach pit or no-tell motel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Admittedly, once one of those $4,000 ships is worth $16,000 I will certainly sigh heavily while reaching into my wallet.

Or I could play the game?

Or CIG won't stop selling the ships and then backers will just say that its to allow them to pay for the servers. Probably that one.

backers believing CIG will stop selling ships once the game minimum viable product drops should be extra wary of any bridge salesmen they meet

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Snazzy Frocks posted:

how is it that people profit on the grey market when there is no real shortage of ships or features and you'd just have to wait until they put everything on sale again

Because reasons

Some ships have gone up in price, but the only way you're getting a profit is if you accepted bribes in the form of ships found people desperate enough to buy a "limited edition" ship.

Because Pokémon taught us to buy them all.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

Man, I can't wait to see their reaction when this poo poo-show collapses.

Well my friend, ALL of us can't wait to see your reaction when this poo poo-show collapses.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
called it :smug:

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
can't wait to stand in line for some cafeteria food in space

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

He'll have an aneurysm. It will be like the ending of the movie "Shane".

Derek will slump off into his Tesla and it will carry him onto the interstates of Florida. It will ride off into the sunset while reddit yells his name in vain.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

how is it that people profit on the grey market when there is no real shortage of ships or features and you'd just have to wait until they put everything on sale again
Because Ben Lesnick, Master of Ships, has lied to them for years and years telling them that all their worries will never happen and their investment is safe with Heavenly Father Roberts.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Buy now limited edition one time only never to be sold again !! !! Fresh cash only

How they keep doing it and getting away with it boggles the mind

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
3.0 is going to kill CIG, it's going to make a lot of people very, very unhappy

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Serious answer:

1) Sell "Referrals" for half price. IE 10 for $200.
2) Take money, buy 10 accounts, use the referral code so first transaction completed. You now have ten half-price accounts.
3) Turn around, sell the accounts at 70% market value, or convert to RSI funbux and sell that at 70% market value.
4) You've just turned 200 bucks into 280 bucks.

It's a lot more hustling than people had to do a couple years ago, when CIG hadn't set the expectation that they would be selling ships at every opportunity. There was a point where certain ships were going for 4x their original sale price. Coincidentally that's also the point where a lot of the big ship clearing-house people got started. At this point any of those people still in the market are going to be left holding the bag though. Nothing's going to move at more than 70% of the store price.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I was skipping around that ATV video and I landed on the mustachio guy talking about builds.

Here's an idea, (lackey reading thread for your overlords).

Instead of compiling 283752908357927592 gigabytes of high res models every time you want to test a new build.
Test it without textures. You don't need them.

There your build time just went from three hours to three minutes.

I expect an Idris-M as compensation.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

3.0 is going to kill CIG, it's going to make a lot of people very, very unhappy

'the community hyped themselves up for 3.0. We all know the real breakthroughs are in 4.0'

But seriously, when CIG released the 3.0+ schedule. They themselves, if everything went according to plan, delayed all of 3.0s features to be completed Q1 2018. The current 3.0 has 3/4s of the pitched features stripped out.

I mean jesus christ they even cut the most important networking poo poo bind/unbind out of 3.0.

Hope they enjoy their 15 fps that aint going anywhere.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

thatguy posted:

Because Ben Lesnick, Master of Ships, has lied to them for years and years telling them that all their worries will never happen and their investment is safe with Heavenly Father Roberts.

I mean, he has played through all of SQ42, he has to know whats up

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

'the community hyped themselves up for 3.0. We all know the real breakthroughs are in 4.0'

You'll all see. This will be the one video game project that meets or exceeds the desires of it's fans. This is the unicorn, the Kwisatz Haderach and the final evolution of the video game development nemesis events into a pure distillation of the second life that some nerds have always wanted.

Y'all just jealous 'cos your wankpods are powered by *imagination*.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

AlbieQuirky posted:

They look like Alain Mikli, so $400-$500 just for the frames if so.

If you have any sort of decent insurance you can get those frames for free once a year.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hav posted:

You'll all see. This will be the one video game project that meets or exceeds the desires of it's fans. This is the unicorn, the Kwisatz Haderach and the final evolution of the video game development nemesis events into a pure distillation of the second life that some nerds have always wanted.

Y'all just jealous 'cos your wankpods are powered by *imagination*.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

I was skipping around that ATV video and I landed on the mustachio guy talking about builds.

Here's an idea, (lackey reading thread for your overlords).

Instead of compiling 283752908357927592 gigabytes of high res models every time you want to test a new build.
Test it without textures. You don't need them.

There your build time just went from three hours to three minutes.

I expect an Idris-M as compensation.

here's how things go, as was told to me last year

since Roberts has final approval on everything, artists or designers send the absolute best version of whatever they have to him. this includes hi res, hi poly mods that will not be used in game, as well as ultra res textures. if Roberts kicks your poo poo back down to you, you get a pretty severe dressing down, usually during a meeting. one of my friends (she's working on the new SW game) got talked down to in front of her entire team, causing her to quit.

but it doesn't end there. he places a flag on your work afterwards, so he will always double check for "problems" with whatever you send him. keep in mind he receives hundreds of emails like this a week, so the shitlist people get looked at first.

what he doesn't check is anything gameplay related. assets are what he really cares about, and as my friend said, "the cinematic feel" of said assets. one of the things Roberts used to go on about is that "gameplay organically grows" from what they create.

I know I posted about all this before in some fashion, but it's been awhile

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lladre posted:

If you have any sort of decent insurance you can get those frames for free once a year.
You're talking about someone who paid the price of a small family car for a desk.

You think these people shop around for good deals?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

if Roberts kicks your poo poo back down to you, you get a pretty severe dressing down, usually during a meeting. one of my friends (she's working on the new SW game) got talked down to in front of her entire team, causing her to quit.

but it doesn't end there. he places a flag on your work afterwards, so he will always double check for "problems" with whatever you send him.

hosed up if true.

Mind you, that's quite the list of available positions;

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

I... wha.... gawd... :psyduck:

If you bought every single thing in their shop could you even get up to that sum?

Edit: Don't answer that, I am not sure which of the possible options is more disturbing.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

does that dude have a job?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

phosdex posted:

does that dude have a job?

Yes. He's a professional Miku cosplayer.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't know what a Miku is, but I already know I hate it.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

tooterfish posted:

I don't know what a Miku is, but I already know I hate it.

Guess what the Miku is.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Looks like my blind prejudice has steered me right yet again!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well my friend, ALL of us can't wait to see your reaction when this poo poo-show collapses.

Derek wept for there were no more shills to dox.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Hav posted:

This is one of the guys that should be under suicide watch. That's more than just a financial investment.

"Donate more and we finish quicker".

Actually, their stated business model is "Donate more and we'll take longer making it more fidelitious."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That one guy calling Derek a paedo on twitter is surely opening himself up for some legal poo poo no? Where does that accusation even come from?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

History Comes Inside! posted:

Where does that accusation even come from?

This is rhetorical, right?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is rhetorical, right?

Well all the other poo poo they throw around has been hyperbolised from things that were said elsewhere but I don't think anyone else has ever implied impropriety between D Smizzle and kids.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

That one guy calling Derek a paedo on twitter is surely opening himself up for some legal poo poo no? Where does that accusation even come from?
It's Derek's fault that literally every high profile backer of this project has turned out to be a sex offender of some description.

They're false flag operations to discredit Chris Roberts and prevent him from saving PC gaming. It's the only logical explanation.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://i.imgur.com/yUNsf4n.mp4
Man those OldSchoolCmdo redditposts were a funny beatdown, so much fidelity o7//

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Derek wept for there were no more shills to dox.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I love that on r/ds derek doesn't have a wife and kids those are fake. But when he does he beats and sexually abuses them.

Good stuff all around.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

Guess what the Miku is.

Didn't he also pay like $10,000 for Ryan Archer's board game?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Hav posted:

hosed up if true.

Mind you, that's quite the list of available positions;

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

Are they 64 bit positions?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheAgent posted:

here's how things go, as was told to me last year

since Roberts has final approval on everything, artists or designers send the absolute best version of whatever they have to him. this includes hi res, hi poly mods that will not be used in game, as well as ultra res textures. if Roberts kicks your poo poo back down to you, you get a pretty severe dressing down, usually during a meeting. one of my friends (she's working on the new SW game) got talked down to in front of her entire team, causing her to quit.

but it doesn't end there. he places a flag on your work afterwards, so he will always double check for "problems" with whatever you send him. keep in mind he receives hundreds of emails like this a week, so the shitlist people get looked at first.

what he doesn't check is anything gameplay related. assets are what he really cares about, and as my friend said, "the cinematic feel" of said assets. one of the things Roberts used to go on about is that "gameplay organically grows" from what they create.

I know I posted about all this before in some fashion, but it's been awhile

EVE is proof that a solid framework and a compelling concept will result in organic gameplay.

SC has neither.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 5, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

SC has neither.
Moved to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Spatial posted:

Moved to

I need a gif of 'FUD' being dropped in this.