Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Goddamnit Raigh get out of my banners, you are not one of the featured mages and nobody likes you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Octolady posted:

I'm starting to think draw back might be fairly useless on defence teams? The number of times I've been in Arena against ranged units with draw back and instead of getting into position they hone in on just pulling their melees back over and over. I have a Nino and Hana on my defense team with it, probably change that out.

I find that fairly annoying because often it's a mage and a melee so they have the exact same range and they become tricky to approach without opening yourself to revenge kills on the next turn. (Maps are too small to flank effectively) Especially if the mage is the color weak to the melee, because then it'll cover the melee unit's counter color.

And if your strategy relies on counters, you are pretty much screwed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

cheetah7071 posted:

I got a defense every week until last week, when I didn't get one, and I still don't have one this week

I'm a little worried my high density of rally skills is making my team act in incredibly useless ways under AI control

I prefer Hone/Fortify skills to rallies. That way I get the stat boosts without having to spend an action to get them, as long as I'm careful about unit positioning.

Octolady posted:

I'm starting to think draw back might be fairly useless on defence teams? The number of times I've been in Arena against ranged units with draw back and instead of getting into position they hone in on just pulling their melees back over and over. I have a Nino and Hana on my defense team with it, probably change that out.

Maybe change it up? Give some Pivot, some Reposition, or whatever. Armor units definitely for sure want Pivot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kyte posted:

I find that fairly annoying because often it's a mage and a melee so they have the exact same range and they become tricky to approach without opening yourself to revenge kills on the next turn. (Maps are too small to flank effectively) Especially if the mage is the color weak to the melee, because then it'll cover the melee unit's counter color.

And if your strategy relies on counters, you are pretty much screwed.

Depends on the colour. If your generic counter is, say, Hector (like me), you gotta watch out for Tharja (Leo's never seen, and he tends to overextend anyway). If it's Tharja, then I can park Subaki as a counter instead, who can easily tank Tharja and survive most blues. If there's, for example, a Nino and a Ryoma, then it's harder. But then something like Xander/Ike can handle that easily, or you can try and split them up by shuffling your party.

If you're going for a tanky team, you want at least two counters of different colours. Three is good, but I feel like tripling up on one colour and having a catch-all counter for your weak colour is generally safer.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
aww, my advanced matches keep giving people with their soup up characters while I'm rocking all four stars.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh hey! Some more bonus orbs! I'ma pull on the Titania banner and see if I can finally get her on my teeeaaaaAAAHHH ANOTHER SOREN. THAT'S THREE. :argh:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hey, I got 24 orbs, let's try to get a good female red or blue mage

:argh:

The worst part is Odin isn't even 4 stars so I have to promote him to give Moonbow to someone

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I'd kill for a Selena. All I get are loving Eliwood and Stahl. I just 5-starred an Eliwood that has 1000 SP waiting for a decent A slot.

llllllllll
Jan 2, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
just rolled +def -res tharja from the banner. I want Julia!!! >:-(

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
10 Orbs and 5000 Feathers log-in bonus today :dance:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Big thanks to the folks who recommended the Eirika/Azama/Dancer team for levelling dudes! They've made levelling a breeze.

With the feather bonus we just got today, I have to decide if I want to promote a couple units to 4* (Cherche especially) or save the feathers to get Xander to 5*.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Silver Falcon posted:

With the feather bonus we just got today, I have to decide if I want to promote a couple units to 4* or save the feathers to get Xander to 5*.

This is my dilemma. I'm leaning toward 5* Xander

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

big trivia FAIL posted:

This is my dilemma. I'm leaning toward 5* Xander

No question, 5 star xander for my horse emblem team. Also I had so many ninos and odins that I gave their tomes to Rein and Cecilia for horse emblem.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
My Ike is -Att/+Spd. I could probably keep trying for another Ike but should I just call this good enough, or is Heavy Blade worth trying to fish for? He seems totally serviceable for arenas but it'd be nice to have a not sub 50 attack unit in my party

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Some bucks down the drain for Julia. Instead I got a +DEF -HP Minerva.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

llllllllll posted:

just rolled +def -res tharja from the banner. I want Julia!!! >:-(

Then stop rolling on red.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Some bucks down the drain for Julia. Instead I got a +DEF -HP Minerva.

That infinitely better than some of the other things you could have gotten! Hawkeye comes to mind. Minerva even has a unique weapon!

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I have a Minerva and I actually think she's a good unit, I just can't quite find space for her on my A team. If for some reason you don't like her, then you've rolled a LAD3

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

NinjaDebugger posted:

No question, 5 star xander for my horse emblem team. Also I had so many ninos and odins that I gave their tomes to Rein and Cecilia for horse emblem.

5* Xander or 5* +ATK Reinhardt?

On one hand, next bonus unit, or the other, Death Blow +Atk Reinhardt.

Decisions, decisions.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

UchihaHirou posted:

Decisions, decisions.

If I 5* Xander I'll have both :getin:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Decisions, decisions.
They both get huge bonuses from going up to 5*'s. I'd probably pick Reinhardt cuz its a bigger bonus. You can still use both on a team next cycle.

When does the gauntlet start? I'm ready to rep Robin till he get s destroyed last round.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

UchihaHirou posted:

Decisions, decisions.

Hah, I have this dilemma too! Except my Reinhardt doesn't have Death Blow yet so I'll probably end up 5*ing Xander first.

Stephen9001 posted:

That infinitely better than some of the other things you could have gotten! Hawkeye comes to mind. Minerva even has a unique weapon!

Hey I'd take a Hawkeye. I need Death Blow for a bunch of dudes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I rerolled on an emulator because I was getting annoyed at my luck with the mage banner.

STILL no mages. It's absurd. I got Virion more times than any female mage.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Got my next five star after 200ish orbs over several banners and you know it, -atk +def.

At least it was Tharja who might still be usable thanks to blade tome.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

If you want to do a cavalry team is there certain requisites? Do you have to have tiny hands blue wizard guy? It seems like green calv lacks a bit, and blue has a couple of good options outside of tinyhand man. So what are the best calv to use by color and any reason why?

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Got my next five star after 200ish orbs over several banners and you know it, -atk +def.

At least it was Tharja who might still be usable thanks to blade tome.
-SPD would have been a lot worse. -ATK is not ~optimal~ but totally usable.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Welp I rolled a Tharja last night, so I guess that's who I'll have to back in the tournament to get the character bonus and win bonus.

These things are going to be predictable steamrolls every time they put in one of the famous tity ladies.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

Oh hey! Some more bonus orbs! I'ma pull on the Titania banner and see if I can finally get her on my teeeaaaaAAAHHH ANOTHER SOREN. THAT'S THREE. :argh:

what's up triple soren buddy?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just rolled two 5* clerics in two pulls. :shepface:

Okay, that's not entirely disappointing, as the first roll was on the Tellius banner, and consisted of triple blues and dual colorless. As I needed to pull something, decided I might as well go hunting for Mist since I wouldn't mind having her. So managing to pull her was at least a decent compensation for that garbage color arrangement (considering that banner had no rate-up blues).

Second pull on the other hand... Female mage banner and had already opened the other 4 orbs and gotten nothing, so went for the final orb (a colorless) to at least get a rate-up out of the pull. Nope, here's a Lucius. gently caress off Lucius.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Servaetes posted:

If you want to do a cavalry team is there certain requisites? Do you have to have tiny hands blue wizard guy? It seems like green calv lacks a bit, and blue has a couple of good options outside of tinyhand man. So what are the best calv to use by color and any reason why?

Not sure who you mean by tiny hands, but in general you want to stack the Cav-specific buffs: Fortify/Hone Cavalry and Goad/Ward Cavalry. If you're using someone with a -Blade tome, make sure they're next to two units with Hone/Fortify Cavalry at the beginning of each turn. The Goad and Ward skills don't give the buff damage boost to -Blade tomes.

Some good cavs:

Xander- Available for free to everyone and super buff. His 5* weapon comes packing Distant Counter, which is always handy. I gave mine Quick Riposte and Fortify Cavalry. He's my counter-killing buffing man.
Reinhardt- Brave tome user, 'nuff said. Only gets his fancy tome at 5*, so keep that in mind. He also comes with Goad Cavalry right out of the box! You'll want to give him Death Blow
Ursula- This one takes some skill inheritance to get rolling, but she's worth the investment, imo. Give her Odin's Blarblade tome and Moonbow. She already comes with Death Blow and Threaten Res. Park her next to your Fortify/Hone Cavalry buffers and watch her wreck poo poo
Elise, Priscilla, and Clarine- your mounted healers. All healers pretty much function the same, though Elise has enough magic power to be somewhat of an offensive presence.
Cecilia- Your only green tome user for cav teams. She would need some skill inheritance work, but she can do the job. You can either make her like a green Ursula and give her Nino's Gronnblade tome, or keep her default tome and make her like a green mounted Robin-M. Up to you.

Cavs for skill in inheritance:

Gunter- Hone Cav
Eliwood- Ward Cav
Jagen- Fortify Cav

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Yeah, I meant outside of Reinhardt, Xander, the mounted healers, Ursula, and Cecilia, are other green/blue calv decent? IE Frederick, Abel, etc

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, I meant outside of Reinhardt, Xander, the mounted healers, Ursula, and Cecilia, are other green/blue calv decent? IE Frederick, Abel, etc

Fred, Abel, and Gunter are all good. Some of the others can be made workable with inheritance, but those three are pretty solid with little to no investment.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Silver Falcon posted:

Not sure who you mean by tiny hands, but in general you want to stack the Cav-specific buffs: Fortify/Hone Cavalry and Goad/Ward Cavalry. If you're using someone with a -Blade tome, make sure they're next to two units with Hone/Fortify Cavalry at the beginning of each turn. The Goad and Ward skills don't give the buff damage boost to -Blade tomes.

Some good cavs:

Xander- Available for free to everyone and super buff. His 5* weapon comes packing Distant Counter, which is always handy. I gave mine Quick Riposte and Fortify Cavalry. He's my counter-killing buffing man.
Reinhardt- Brave tome user, 'nuff said. Only gets his fancy tome at 5*, so keep that in mind. He also comes with Goad Cavalry right out of the box! You'll want to give him Death Blow
Ursula- This one takes some skill inheritance to get rolling, but she's worth the investment, imo. Give her Odin's Blarblade tome and Moonbow. She already comes with Death Blow and Threaten Res. Park her next to your Fortify/Hone Cavalry buffers and watch her wreck poo poo
Elise, Priscilla, and Clarine- your mounted healers. All healers pretty much function the same, though Elise has enough magic power to be somewhat of an offensive presence.
Cecilia- Your only green tome user for cav teams. She would need some skill inheritance work, but she can do the job. You can either make her like a green Ursula and give her Nino's Gronnblade tome, or keep her default tome and make her like a green mounted Robin-M. Up to you.

Gunter- Hone Cav
Eliwood- Ward Cav
Jagen- Fortify Cav

The offensive aura is on Reinhardt, who I'm guessing is tiny hands, should I be wrong and you have a second one you feel like mulching.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

akulanization posted:

Fred, Abel, and Gunter are all good. Some of the others can be made workable with inheritance, but those three are pretty solid with little to no investment.

Oh, yes. I can definitely vouch for Abel! Super solid lance dude. Utterly destroys annoying sword lords. Gunter has been kind of eh for me. I mostly have him around for Hone Cav. I am seriously tempted to feed him to Cecilia to make her the buffmaster.

I also forgot Eldigan. He's a very solid sword cav who comes with Fury. Always nice.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Most of the melee cavalry units range from alright to pretty good. They just get overshadowed by Reinhardt and the blade tome cavalry mages who are broken as gently caress in Horse emblem.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The art in fire emblem heroes gets a lot of guff but the most egregious example to me is Sophia's weird pencil neck.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Silver Falcon posted:

I prefer Hone/Fortify skills to rallies. That way I get the stat boosts without having to spend an action to get them, as long as I'm careful about unit positioning.

I use both

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

Some good cavs:

I only have 1 Odin, and he's 4 star. Will the regular 9MT Barblade work or should I hold out to see if I can ever get one of the 13MT Barblade+?

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Silver Falcon posted:

Some good cavs:

Gunter- Hone Cav
Eliwood- Ward Cav
Jagen- Fortify Cav

I unfortunately rolled a 5* Frederick and was thinking of turning him into Horse Cherche. With two brave users (Reinhardt and Freddie) and probably Xander, is there even a point to raising a Bladetome to round it out? I already have a kitted out Elise, who would serve as Xander's HP battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

big trivia FAIL posted:

I only have 1 Odin, and he's 4 star. Will the regular 9MT Barblade work or should I hold out to see if I can ever get one of the 13MT Barblade+?

The cav team can give +30 attack to a blade tome user. You aren't going to notice another 4 most of the time.