Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
And then you have Texas, which is in the process of turning all the HOV lanes into "express" toll lanes because public-private partnerships something something vote Republican for Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

504 posted:

Lady goons!

What is that perfume called that smells kinda like biscuits? (specifically a brand known as Cameo Cremes) It is a vanilla scent and maybe it's just called Vaniila essence?

Also, what would you like for your first Mother's Day?

I'm not a lady goon, but I think "time away from my screaming baby" would be the answer to your last question. Maybe a spa gift certificate and an offer to watch the kid for a few hours so the new mom can spend some time relaxing?

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Why does this ebay user have loads of Positive feedback but negative reviews? How does that work?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What's a good Picasa-alike for organizing/annotating image albums?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Convicted Bibliophile posted:

Why does this ebay user have loads of Positive feedback but negative reviews? How does that work?

It's very hard for a seller to leave negative feedback on a purchaser. Some people choose to handle this by leaving a positive feedback (which you can do unrestricted) but putting a negative review in it and just hope other people will see that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Yes, thank you.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I have a relatively new wood cabinet that always has that shaved wood smell inside, like the lumber section of a hardware store, and it's so strong that the towels I put in there come out smelling that way. I've tried leaving the doors open to let it air out but no dice. Any recommendations to get rid of the smell?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

W..why would you want to? :confused:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Ahhhhh ... customer's name is Jonathan Wong.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

kedo posted:

W..why would you want to? :confused:

It's just not appetizing having all my dish towels and subsequently dishes smelling like wood varnish.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Update: I think it might be the glue holding the particle board together that stinks so bad, not the wood itself or any varnishes. Still looking for ideas to deal with it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Fill it with cedar chips.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
Okay, I've checked Google, Bing, DDR, videos, images, web, and lots of sites themselves. What I'm searching for is sheet music for Jurassic Park where you can hear what sounds like jingling, but is actually someone uses concert bells (NOT hand bells, this is a metal, keyboard-layout percussion instrument). If you see it and my memory of playing it from high school isn't faulty it's mostly notes in 1/64th. The YT is right where it begins and you have to listen kind of closely, but it's there and I wanted the sheet music for it. It may be mislabeled "Enter the Park" or something, but I believe it's in the main theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CgbtC4Xh00

Any help?

EDIT: Sorry, the time part of the link from YT didn't transfer over. It begins around 1:35 and lasts maybe thirty seconds?

Comrade Milton fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 11, 2017

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's just not appetizing having all my dish towels and subsequently dishes smelling like wood varnish.

The lumber section & wood shavings don't smell like wood varnish. Often cedar or pine chips are used for their scents. Varnish sometimes has a petrochemical-type smell, and is very different.

You could either mask the smell with another, try to strip the varnish out of the cupboard, or try coating the wood with something that smells better or has no smell, if whatever type of finish the wood already has will take another layer on top (sometimes a finish will cause a top layer to bead, or not dry).

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Comrade Milton posted:

Okay, I've checked Google, Bing, DDR, videos, images, web, and lots of sites themselves. What I'm searching for is sheet music for Jurassic Park where you can hear what sounds like jingling, but is actually someone uses concert bells (NOT hand bells, this is a metal, keyboard-layout percussion instrument). If you see it and my memory of playing it from high school isn't faulty it's mostly notes in 1/64th. The YT is right where it begins and you have to listen kind of closely, but it's there and I wanted the sheet music for it. It may be mislabeled "Enter the Park" or something, but I believe it's in the main theme.

Any help?

The instrument is often called a glockenspiel if that helps your Googles with a more unique term.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks. I actually did try under both terms with hard boolean No's to get the loving hand bells to stop showing up. I can't find anything, but this is the first sheet music I've ever not just had given to me and I think my inexperience is what's causing most of the trouble.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Comrade Milton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CgbtC4Xh00

Any help?

If you mean the stuff in the background around 1:33, you're probably looking for the instrument called either tubular bells or chimes.

Comrade Milton
Jul 16, 2005
No, definitely glockenspiel. Chimes sound entirely different and would be impossible to use at that speed and there wasn't a part for tubular bells.

OH! YouTube didn't count the time part of the link. It begins around 1:35

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

kedo posted:

I'm not a lady goon, but I think "time away from my screaming baby" would be the answer to your last question. Maybe a spa gift certificate and an offer to watch the kid for a few hours so the new mom can spend some time relaxing?

Lady mother goon here. Can confirm that this is the correct response.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Kid is a magic one that is no issue. Looking for girt ideas that aren't more jewellery or chocolates.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I got my wife a skin care pack, some earrings from a designer she loves, and some bath stuff. The last one comes with the commitment that she gets a whole afternoon to herself to enjoy it. Even though our kids are great, her knowing that she can just relax with a guarantee that no one will call on her time for a few hours is a present in itself.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
The gift pack is not to bad an idea, she is a professional masseuse (relaxation, not happy ending) so it's hard to "beat" the stuff she gets from colleges, they often exchange massages and whatnot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

What's a good Picasa-alike for organizing/annotating image albums?

Anyone?

It's for an old acquaintance of mine who is trying to take some family photos (some dating back to the 1800s) and write captions on them to distribute them to her extended family. She's like 80-something years old but sharp and has already self-published some of this stuff. She has a facebook (I suggested just using that or instagram) as well as a onedrive (which can do captions) and a google photos account i set up for her (which can't) as well as an old Picasa install.

Just looking for the best option for her as I don't use instagram, pinterest or facebook much myself and couldn't say what's best among those obvious solutions.

The more I describe this the stupider it sounds. I searched for "picasa like" and ended up finding about windows live photos and acdsee which might sort of work.

tl;dr help me find a solution for a finicky old bat to caption some pics

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Flickr is pretty easy to work with.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Do otc drugs like NyQuil actually help cure colds, etc, or do they just lessen the symptoms while whatever's killing you burns itself out naturally?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

jackpot posted:

Do otc drugs like NyQuil actually help cure colds, etc, or do they just lessen the symptoms while whatever's killing you burns itself out naturally?

The latter. The immune system is pretty 99% great at what it does.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

jackpot posted:

The things that make colds suck is your immune system while it's fighting the cold

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Comrade Milton posted:

No, definitely glockenspiel. Chimes sound entirely different and would be impossible to use at that speed and there wasn't a part for tubular bells.

OH! YouTube didn't count the time part of the link. It begins around 1:35

the score also uses synthesizers so its very possible that the sound you hear isn't an actual instrument.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

The things that make colds suck is your immune system while it's fighting the cold

If cold medicine just makes you stop coughing, sneezing, etc, but the coughing and sneezing is your body's way of fighting the cold, does taking cold medicine actually make the cold last longer?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Super Dan posted:

If cold medicine just makes you stop coughing, sneezing, etc, but the coughing and sneezing is your body's way of fighting the cold, does taking cold medicine actually make the cold last longer?

No, or at least not significantly. The coughing and sneezing is only a side product of the actual healing process.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

All you need to know about cold and flu medicine is that anything besides pseudoephedrine and pain killers is a placebo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

All you need to know about cold and flu medicine is that anything besides pseudoephedrine and pain killers is a placebo.

DXM is a placebo now? My hellscape hallucinations want a word with you.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

DXM is a placebo now? My hellscape hallucinations want a word with you.

wuttup robo krew

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
DXM is legit as a cough suppressant, but if you're having hallucinations, you're taking too much.

Even if you're taking the amount your healthcare professional told you to take, that's still too much for you to be taking.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What are products that originally had many executives hesitant to adopt because the ROI could not be accurately measured since the product would primarily improve the customer service experience? Some examples I have in mind are self-service kiosks at fast food chains - many executives were hesitant to adopt because it was cheaper to just hire a real person to take orders and the cost of maintenance and troubleshooting the kiosks would exceed the ROI.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's the word to use when somebody is more relaxed, more zen about something. Like: "he was XX about it." I'm thinking of a word that's like "philosophical" but that's not it.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

What's the word to use when somebody is more relaxed, more zen about something. Like: "he was XX about it." I'm thinking of a word that's like "philosophical" but that's not it.

Indifferent or apathetic if you want the sort of negative connotation, serene, tranquil, etc if you want a positive connotation. The right word may depend on having some more info. You say zen, which implies maybe most people would be worried or panic about the something, while this person isn't, through ignorance or transcendence, with each one probably needing a different word. Starting with those above and chain-thesaurusing them should get you close.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Are you thinking of 'ambivent' which I understand is meant to mean conflicted, but you see it more as 'meh' these days

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Chop Sunni posted:

Are you thinking of 'ambivent' which I understand is meant to mean conflicted, but you see it more as 'meh' these days
I'm reasonably sure you mean "ambivalent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Argh yes that one