Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Should I try and do all available sidequests in Route A? I don't know if I should be skipping those til later, I know I can go back at some point and do them. Also, is there anything missable achievement wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr E posted:

Should I try and do all available sidequests in Route A? I don't know if I should be skipping those til later, I know I can go back at some point and do them. Also, is there anything missable achievement wise?
some of them should absolutely be left until later. Specifically anything involving difficult combat or money. I spent ages raising loads of money for that scientist robot in route A only to immediately be rolling in millions within a couple of hours of route B. don't even talk to me about Father Servo

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

some of them should absolutely be left until later. Specifically anything involving difficult combat or money. I spent ages raising loads of money for that scientist robot in route A only to immediately be rolling in millions within a couple of hours of route B. don't even talk to me about Father Servo

OK, the main ones I was going to wait on were the racing one (I figure I need speed boosts or something), and the money donating one.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Mr E posted:

There is one missable minor ending but it's in the last piece of content you're likely to do if you go for 100% completion it's a secret boss during which you have to lose when the boss goes on a timer to get an ending

Absolutely nothing else is missable

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Are you having fun doing the side quests? If so, continue doing them. There is a decent bit of world-building that may make future story points resonate more with you. If you're getting bored, it will be better to just focus on the main story and avoid getting burned out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Mr E posted:

OK, the main ones I was going to wait on were the racing one (I figure I need speed boosts or something), and the money donating one.

Yeah, racing isn't particularly rewarding and the donations are for end-game materials plus a costume piece. The plot for the latter is adorable but it can wait when you're flush with cash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hypothetically the best way to do the investment sidequest is to do it all the way up to the last 100K investment on run A, then doing it all over again on run B, since crafting material is much more important than money which is easy to get

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

hypothetically the best way to do the investment sidequest is to do it all the way up to the last 100K investment on run A, then doing it all over again on run B, since crafting material is much more important than money which is easy to get
your progress in it carries over, so that doesn't work

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Josuke Higashikata posted:

mashing in a shooter section? why would you do that to yourself
I think he's talking about the "slash" attack moves that clear bullets that - unlike bullet shooting - iirc can't just be held. They become pretty crucial on hard mode in a few sections and yeah, after a few retries my fingers started to dislike the section more than me.

I honestly thought the hacking shooting sections were much better, clearer and fun than the faux-3d shmup ones in the game and i basically had my fill of those after route A/B. I was kind of hoping the DLC would have another variant of the hacking puzzle soul box or something. Maybe i'm just missing it?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
route b sucked and I'm glad I knew to keep playing for route c. I just wish I could hack chests/doors at will when going back through chapter select instead of using 9s

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mastershakeman posted:

route b sucked and I'm glad I knew to keep playing for route c. I just wish I could hack chests/doors at will when going back through chapter select instead of using 9s

Especially given that even though she isn't a scanning unit, A2 is able to hack things with the assistance of 042. No reason why 2B can't do it once you unlock chapter select.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm pretty sure A2 as a prototype has that functionality, and it got exclusive to Scanner Models down the line

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm pretty sure A2 as a prototype has that functionality, and it got exclusive to Scanner Models down the line

yet I can't do it at will with her

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Was it ever explained, what 7E's deal was? She was one of the Androids who died in the first minute of the game.
The whole E series is secret and they are given code names to hide it. So why was that the name she used? What would have been the plan if they met 9S together with the rest? Would she have had to kill him? Was she just a diversion so he wouldn't suspect 2B? It feels really weird to have an E model there. But of course you wouldn't notice that until you replay the game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
She was dispatched to monitor 11B who was planning on going AWOL.

I don't think all of them use code names, just some of them. Depends on the mission, probably. 2B's was a long-term assignment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was it ever explained, what 7E's deal was? She was one of the Androids who died in the first minute of the game.
The whole E series is secret and they are given code names to hide it. So why was that the name she used? What would have been the plan if they met 9S together with the rest? Would she have had to kill him? Was she just a diversion so he wouldn't suspect 2B? It feels really weird to have an E model there. But of course you wouldn't notice that until you replay the game.

2B can see her name as 7E instead of her cover-up name because 2B is also an E-series, just like how 9S can see boss names because he's a scanner. The others probably see whatever her code name is.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I better hurry up and beat the rush.

https://twitter.com/Jillkatsu/status/862716471025303554

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are these androids built for.. pleasure?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If you want them to be™

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

CJacobs posted:

If you want them to be™
Absolutely

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do wonder how many polygons are involved in making 2B's lovingly rendered rear end.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DrNutt posted:

I do wonder how many polygons are involved in making 2B's lovingly rendered rear end.

Enough. Exactly enough.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy poo poo. I just googled it and apparently there are more polygons in 2B's butt than in the entirety of the Ocarina of Time.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
2B's butt is better than the entirety of Ocarina of Time.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Just finished all the main story routes, wow great game I really enjoyed it. Going to think on it some and read through the spoilers in this thread tomorrow to answer some questions.

Still need to go back and do quite a few side quests so my time isn't done yet with the game

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

DrNutt posted:

Holy poo poo. I just googled it and apparently there are more polygons in 2B's butt than in the entirety of the Ocarina of Time.
i don't need google to tell you that the same goes for your avatar

but the only thing that comparison illustrates is that it's not quantity that matters,

butt quality

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 12, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, odds of a sequel coming?

Namely one following Jackass and her exploits to hunt down that the android behind YoRHa?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

unlikely, if only because i don't think Taro has ever done a proper sequel.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The only sequel will be a 'sequel' with almost zero connection to the previous games and it will be based off the weirdest ending option... Which might be ending K?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

deathbot posted:

The only sequel will be a 'sequel' with almost zero connection to the previous games and it will be based off the weirdest ending option... Which might be ending K?

No, ending D. The machine network and 9S's adventures in space, filling the universe with Drakenier madness

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My money's on the ship crashing somewhere and causing new problems for someone else.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bad Seafood posted:

My money's on the ship crashing somewhere and causing new problems for someone else.

point, but I'd prefer ending E as canon. Though does the ship launch if you get that one too? I got E on the tail end of C,did D first.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RoadCrewWorker posted:

i don't need google to tell you that the same goes for your avatar

but the only thing that comparison illustrates is that it's not quantity that matters,

butt quality

All the butt quality in MEA was reserved for Cora.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

iospace posted:

point, but I'd prefer ending E as canon. Though does the ship launch if you get that one too? I got E on the tail end of C,did D first.
Neither ending precludes Ending E from happening, so presumably it happens regardless, the sequel being set after D-E instead of C-E.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

E comes after whichever main ending you get last. Ending D where 9S choses to stay is probably the "canon" one for E, since he should still be alive after C, I think.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nothing preventing him from having a copy go with the machines while a branch stays on earth. Then the machine copy returns much much later and gets super sads over the fact that earth is populated entirely by 9s/2b descendants.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

E comes after whichever main ending you get last. Ending D where 9S choses to stay is probably the "canon" one for E, since he should still be alive after C, I think.

He was alive-ish, but not exactly in any condition to move about on his own. And he was down the arm you see the pods carrying to him in ending E. Just came off an ending C-to-E switch, so I'm pretty confident in my memory on this one.

Interesting side note? There's a shot at the end of C you don't get if you go on to E. Just 2B's sword and 9S's tissue pack stuck on a rock out in the forest.

Anyway, just tossed my save into the uncaring sea. If anyone sees a "Kazutrash, USA", that was mine. Hope it does someone some good.

Excellent game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

She was dispatched to monitor 11B who was planning on going AWOL.

I don't think all of them use code names, just some of them. Depends on the mission, probably. 2B's was a long-term assignment.

CJacobs posted:

2B can see her name as 7E instead of her cover-up name because 2B is also an E-series, just like how 9S can see boss names because he's a scanner. The others probably see whatever her code name is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/6aj796/spoilers_nierautomata_dinner_talk_show_translated/

E types aren't a huge secret. 9S doesn't know about them though.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm guessing this has already been posted in this thread at some point, but I thought I'd share it anyway. Yoko Taro gave a fantastic hour-long talk on game development at an event in 2014: "Making Weird Games for Weird People". He explains his writing process and talks about memory palaces. There are moderate NieR 1 spoilers used for the writing examples. Although the talk was delivered before Automata began development, I'd still recommend against watching it if you haven't finished Automata yet.

For some strange reason, he is wearing his human mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont things get confusing when there's multiples of one specific model on scene?