Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Is that supposed to be Lump from Sandman?

Brute and Glob, yes. I'm not familiar with all the pieces the Allreds are playing with in Bug! but the first issue was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Pretend I put the dialogue from that cuck comic in there. Fresh memes etc.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Elfface posted:

Pretend I put the dialogue from that cuck comic in there. Fresh memes etc.

Cuck comic?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KaosMachina posted:

Cuck comic?

Thank you I was looking for this.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Green Hornet, issue 10.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TheCenturion posted:

Green Hornet, issue 10.

I can only hope my son will make me as proud some day.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I never really grasped how much of a disappointment I've been to my father until this moment.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Injustice : Ground Zero #15.

Of all the incantations, infernal contracts, and general terrifying magical and otherdimensional powers and diabolical attributes to levy at someone in the DC universe, Zatanna goes for something truly insidious.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TheCenturion posted:

Green Hornet, issue 10.

In the next issue of Trying Too Hard Comics...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Pacra posted:

Injustice : Ground Zero #15.

Of all the incantations, infernal contracts, and general terrifying magical and otherdimensional powers and diabolical attributes to levy at someone in the DC universe, Zatanna goes for something truly insidious.

That seems rather mild. I vaguely recall reading about some woman who only went every six months.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

That seems rather mild. I vaguely recall reading about some woman who only went every six months.

You read lies.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

The real suffering comes from the first poop after a week of no-poop. It's not pleasant.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sentinel Red posted:

I think you misread. It's not that you don't want to poop for a week, or that you don't need to poop for a week. You cannot poop for a week.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Joker probably found it hilarious.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SilverSupernova posted:

Joker probably found it hilarious.

I was gonna say, no matter how horrible it is, Joker was probably okay with it. Game recognizes game.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
He'd turn it around my saying what a lovely situation he's in

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

She'll up the curse to a year and Joker will make a comment on how his year wasn't crappy at all.
Then she'll just murder him.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SilverSupernova posted:

She'll up the curse to a year and Joker will make a comment on how his year wasn't crappy at all.
Then she'll just murder him.

"eiD"

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

"That joke kills me!"
He then dies with a poo poo eating grin knowing she cant do anything to counter that one.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SilverSupernova posted:

"That joke kills me!"
He then dies with a poo poo eating grin knowing she cant do anything to counter that one.

That's what spiteful tombstone engravings are for.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Is there an established upper limit to Zatanna's power? I only ask because I'm curious if something like this is possible.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

TwoPair posted:

Is there an established upper limit to Zatanna's power? I only ask because I'm curious if something like this is possible.

Same as every other magic character: whatever that particular story needs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

Her greatest power is dealing with John Constintine's bullshit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

Her greatest power is dealing with John Constintine's bullshit

And surviving.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Does Zatanna need a special artifact for doing her magic, or did she have training/radiation poisoning that allows her and only her to do her thing?

Doctor Strange at least makes funky hands and had to be trained, doing magic by speaking backwards is pretty lame in comparison.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's magic.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Does Zatanna need a special artifact for doing her magic, or did she have training/radiation poisoning that allows her and only her to do her thing?

Doctor Strange at least makes funky hands and had to be trained, doing magic by speaking backwards is pretty lame in comparison.

I recall an old issue of JLA where they found that Zatanna's mother was a member of some special magical race that lived hidden away from the world, and that she'd inherited the potential for magic from her.

On the other hand, her dad wasn't part of that race and he could do the same thing, so....

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never read a story about magicians that was made better by explaining logically how magic works.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Skwirl posted:

I've never read a story about magicians that was made better by explaining logically how magic works.

Look at this motherfucker who never read ulillillia's The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read it yet but the one thing that gets almost universal praise in Mistborn is how Sanderson designs the way magic works.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samuringa posted:

I haven't read it yet but the one thing that gets almost universal praise in Mistborn is how Sanderson designs the way magic works.

Less "how it works" and more "how you can use it." Sanderson's books tend to treat magic as a science, and if something seems to break the rules the reason is likely to be "we didn't understand the rules" in a similar way to how basic physics laws work fine until you encounter something where they don't. Overall it lets him use magic much more openly in his stories to solve/create problems without it feeling like cheating, but opinions will, of course, vary on the overall effect (some folks really don't like there being things magic can't do.)

</fanboy>

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I am reminded of forums poster "flosofl" and their avatar:

Pacra fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 14, 2017

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm surprised nobody's tried to tie her in to Mister Mxyzptlk's dimension some way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The best magic is definitely the one that might not necessarily have rules but is at least internally consistent in how it works. Like if you establish people have to say invocations then use that to put a character in peril because they're gagged or something, you can't just get out of it having them use a gesture. If an audience feels that the magic is cheating then you lose all the tension from conflict because they are just asking themselves why it hasn't been fixed with magic yet.

Also, nobody wants to read about midichlorians.

I say stick with hard science.

[Journey Into Mystery #85]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ghostlight posted:

I say stick with hard science.

[Journey Into Mystery #85]

Tony: This is just nonsense, pure nonsense.
Reed: Actually this makes perfect sense to me, you don't get it? :confused:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Skwirl posted:

Normally I'd agree, but if it's magic that's so easy a five year old could use it I feel there needs to be some sort of explanation for why nobody else uses it. Like, what would stop Joker from giving Zatanna constipation right back?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zatanna is magic, the Joker isn't. Easy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Samuringa posted:

It's great if you love reading pages and pages of so and so pushed/pulled the thinger interspersed with so and so burned (metal). It's loving worse than Wheel of Time's adjusted skirt/pulled braid nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

And surviving.

Being in the close proximity of John Constantine and surviving pretty much makes you the most powerful being in the universe.