Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's 1/128 Polynesian, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That's the Ice King from The 100, isn't it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

He's The Russian from SHIELD

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CelticPredator posted:

Is this a prequel to Max: Head of the FBI?

No, that movie was just terminated.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

That's the Ice King from The 100, isn't it?

Yeah, he was also on Black Sails and the US version of Shameless.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Cameron Crowe school of casting Hawaiian characters.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

How many native Hawaiians are actors with contacts in/access to Hollywood? There can't be that many.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have a friend named Mapuana and she and her gaggle of Hawaiian actresses go apeshit whenever this happens.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

I have a friend named Mapuana and she and her gaggle of Hawaiian actresses go apeshit whenever this happens.

Lou Diamond Phillips is my favorite on-screen Mexican not really played by a Mexican.

Followed by Cliff Curtis.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Cliff Curtis has done it so often now that I kind of forget he's not Mexican.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cliff Curtis can be anything he wants.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kiimo posted:

he is, in that way, the dramatic version of Fred Armisen (a Venezuelan/Japanese/German man who, until SNL actually hired a non-Kenan black man, played Barack Obama as well as literally all of the Arabic dictators/rulers SNL ever needed)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

kiimo posted:

Except Maori. Then they get Ben Kingsley instead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I still hate myself for being dumb enough to see that movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The TV show The Expanse went to a lot of trouble to cast the character Bobbie Draper, who was described in the novels as a tall muscular woman of Polynesian descent. In the end they found a 5'11" Samoan actress in New Zealand who just happened to be an ex boxer.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/the-expanse-bobbie-draper-frankie-adams-season-2-casting-1201779336/

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The TV show The Expanse went to a lot of trouble to cast the character Bobbie Draper, who was described in the novels as a tall muscular woman of Polynesian descent. In the end they found a 5'11" Samoan actress in New Zealand who just happened to be an ex boxer.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/the-expanse-bobbie-draper-frankie-adams-season-2-casting-1201779336/

The fun part of that character is, whenever other characters or the naration describes her, they do a great job highlighting the author's very clear tall woman fetish. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Snowman_McK posted:

The fun part of that character is, whenever other characters or the naration describes her, they do a great job highlighting the author's very clear tall woman fetish. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The question is of course, who of the two authors has the fetish?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

basic hitler posted:

How many native Hawaiians are actors with contacts in/access to Hollywood? There can't be that many.

I mean the onus is kind of on Hollywood to go and find them in this situation. I'm sure whatever studio is making this can manage flying some people out to Hawaii and doing auditions.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hawaii is also an American state so it's not like there's VISA dramas, language barriers or anything.

It's one of the easier places to cast from, you'd think.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Something something Emma Stone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's 7 billion people on the planet, most of them aren't white, most of them would probably say yes to getting a role in a movie or tv show that was offered, yet somehow, we have to wonder where they're going to find someone that fits a given physical description

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snowman_McK posted:

There's 7 billion people on the planet, most of them aren't white, most of them would probably say yes to getting a role in a movie or tv show that was offered, yet somehow, we have to wonder where they're going to find someone that fits a given physical description

Summer tentpoles just don't have the budget to go to that kind of effort, man.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sometimes I wonder if casting people in the US have ever seen a non-white person that wasn't someone they'd hired for manual labor.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Was there ever anything in those leaked Sony emails that showed producers saying things like "Make sure the lead is white. People won't go see movies about any brownies or chinks."? It seems like notes like that would be fairly common.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

dirksteadfast posted:

Was there ever anything in those leaked Sony emails that showed producers saying things like "Make sure the lead is white. People won't go see movies about any brownies or chinks."? It seems like notes like that would be fairly common.

There was a discussion about how it's okay to have African American actors star in smaller films made for domestic audiences but not for 'event' films they need to do well overseas
http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/12/sony-email-hack-denzel-washington-black-leads-international-audience-racist/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And then on the flipside try casting, oh I don't know, a black man as James Bond and watch the fury bubble

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
People should be mad because then it's a wasted opportunity. I say Asian Bond next Bond.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone was photoshopping John Cho into action movie posters and it was cool as gently caress and I'd definitely go and see a John Cho led action movie.

:mmmhmm:

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 11, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

dirksteadfast posted:

Not Sony email stuff, but there was Ridley Scott's comments for his Exodus movie: "I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn't even come up."

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Alien Convergence (from Asylum) trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dpmn-_wKHk

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I mean the onus is kind of on Hollywood to go and find them in this situation. I'm sure whatever studio is making this can manage flying some people out to Hawaii and doing auditions.

My point is that Hollywood is an insanely insular, incestuous place as a matter of course, and really risk averse. Like, the kind of risk you take in finding new talent to fill in a minority lead you can thoughtlessly shove a tan white dude into is something I can see them doing without malice.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Backtracking to say that an Edge of Tomorrow sequel is going to sorely miss Bill Paxton

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

Backtracking to say that an Edge of Tomorrow sequel is going to sorely miss Bill Paxton

No reason it has to.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chairman Capone posted:

Not Sony email stuff, but there was Ridley Scott's comments for his Exodus movie: "I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn't even come up."

Comedy answer: Oliver Stone

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

High School Musical? Pah! What about High School Musical With Zombies???

quote:

Disney Channel has announced the start of production on Zombies, a new TV movie musical, this time featuring teen zombies from Zombietown who join the human classmates of Seabrook High School and set into motion an unexpected romance between a human cheerleader named Addison (American Housewife's Meg Donnelly) and a zombie football star named Zed (Ghost Whisperer's Milo Manheim).

The series will revolve around the attempts to integrate these undead kids into the norms of Seabrook's live scene, with human friends Bucky (Trevor Tordjman) and Bree (Carla Jeffery) mixing factions with zombie pals like Eliza (Kylee Russell).

David Light and Joseph Raso co-wrote the script with The Duff's Josh Cagan, and the film will be directed by Jeffrey Hornaday, with choreography by Hornaday's Teen Beach Movie collaborator. Effie Brown will serve as co-executive producer alongside Hornaday.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/disney-channel-musical-movie-zombies/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Excuse me, they are "undead-Americans" now.

This reminds me that the cast of Disney Channel Movie Camp Rock wants the 3rd one to be R-rated because they and their fans are all adults now. To be fair, Demi Lovato and the Jones brothers are all singing way sexier songs now.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 12, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Stuff about White Hollywood is particularly odd now that Get Out is a monster hit, Moonlight made huge waves, and Fast/Furious is an intersectional phenomenon.

There's an audience out there goddamnit.

High School Zomboosical sounds like a fevered pitch by Tina Belcher.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zed is such a lazy main character zombie name.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A thing about capitalism is businesses don't actually respond that quickly to changes in the market. They hang on to received wisdom and are subject to all sorts of confirmation bias. If Wonder Woman performs at or over expectations it may or may not lead to more female-led tent poles, but if it underperforms at all it'll be "proof" that female superheroes don't sell.

Movies are especially unpredictable, so executives, especially those who come from other industries, try to lean on anything that seems like a hard and fast rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Judging by the first commercial I've seen for it just now, I can't wait for The Adventures of Some Guy, Featuring Wonder Woman.

• Locked thread