Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mr.Radar posted:

One of those Christian media review sites got a copy of Jesus Bro. Brad Jones reviews their review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CexP_eCo-FM

It's not "A" Christian movie review site. The Dove Assosiation is pretty much the big on in the US. Go to a Wal-Mart. Half the movies there will have their logo for it on the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

One of those Christian media review sites got a copy of Jesus Bro. Brad Jones reviews their review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CexP_eCo-FM

This is delightful.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder how long it'll be until they make that Christian movie about an evil atheist Internet Critic. Didn't someone write about such a premise in this thread?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whatever happened to CAPalert? I really miss that guy. It's too bad he never made it onto youtube.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Dove Association is like, in it's world, the biggest player so it's kinda hilarious they even were thin skinned enough to cry about it. It'd be like if Starbucks decided to run an ad saying "HEY TIM'S COFFEE ON MAIN IN PHOENIX ARIZONA? YO gently caress YOU TIM! YOUR COFFEE TASTES LIKE poo poo!"

I'm into 'the devil is seen in a hell like environment' as something worth pointing out as a bad thing

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

It's not "A" Christian movie review site. The Dove Assosiation is pretty much the big on in the US. Go to a Wal-Mart. Half the movies there will have their logo for it on the box

I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude, but I genuinely don't understand what your saying here.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude, but I genuinely don't understand what your saying here.

they're saying that Dove isn't just any ol' random Christian media review group, they're THE Christian media review group.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Baka-nin posted:

the christian movie community is very insular (because they 100% are fueled on the narrative that literally every Not Approved Media is basically Satan himself putting a snuff film on for your amusement). So for the people like, say, Kevin Sorbo and Kirk Cameron and all who's bread and butter is Christian movies and media Dove's seal of approval is basically make or break for them because their fans absolutely 100% take those reviews seriously and are sitting there going 'thank you, Dove, for warning me that this movie has a yoga sign in it, now I can be ready for the devil's evil trick of...bending'.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I'm into 'the devil is seen in a hell like environment' as something worth pointing out as a bad thing

A loooooot of Evangelicals are super into the idea that if you show anything that even hints at Satan or Hell or whatever, you run the risk of... I don't know, some kind of demonic contamination or something. They don't express it that way, but it's very much evident in how they view the world in general and entertainment in particular-- it doesn't matter the context, it doesn't matter if it's fictional, simply showing a thing opens the possibility of giving that thing power. The only exception is in stuff that's explicitly Evangelical, hence the extreme types not even allowing any non-Evangelical entertainments.

This of course ascribes a ridiculous amount of power to Satan and reduces God's power to almost nil, but it's very difficult to be the oppressed underdog when you truly believe that you're supported by an omnipotent entity.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

an Evangelical who is way into the Shin Megami Tensei franchise

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

an Evangelical who is way into the Shin Megami Tensei franchise

I'd really like to know that one works :stare:.

For those that don't know, a general theme of the SMT games is that Order is generally somewhat evil, because it's all about complete perfect and harmonious Order. Or else. Do as you are told, YHVH is great, and if you step out of line you will get crushed mercilessly. Chaos, on the other hand, is literally Lucifer telling you to stand up for yourself, and use your own strength to kick some loving rear end and show everyone who is boss (you) :devil:. Strength is power, and if you are the biggest, baddest, motherfucker then you should rightfully be King of the Hill. The Neutral approach is generally just un-loving the world back to normal and getting the hell away from both sides.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Puppy Time posted:

A loooooot of Evangelicals are super into the idea that if you show anything that even hints at Satan or Hell or whatever, you run the risk of... I don't know, some kind of demonic contamination or something. They don't express it that way, but it's very much evident in how they view the world in general and entertainment in particular-- it doesn't matter the context, it doesn't matter if it's fictional, simply showing a thing opens the possibility of giving that thing power. The only exception is in stuff that's explicitly Evangelical, hence the extreme types not even allowing any non-Evangelical entertainments.

This of course ascribes a ridiculous amount of power to Satan and reduces God's power to almost nil, but it's very difficult to be the oppressed underdog when you truly believe that you're supported by an omnipotent entity.

This reminds me of a fascinating story I read over on the Christianity thread:

quote:

Monks do not only pray for the living and the dead but even for the most miserable creatures, the demons, who, unfortunately, even though thousands of years have passed, have become worse and have progressed in their evilness.

Once a monk* felt much pain [of heart] and, while he was kneeling at prayer, he said the following: "You are God and, if You want, You can find a way to save these miserable demons who first enjoyed such great glory, but now are full of all the evilness and cunning of the world. Without Your protection, they would have devoured all human beings." While he was saying these words, praying with pain [of heart], he saw a dog's head next to him sticking out his tongue and mocking him. It seems that God allowed for this to happen in order to inform the monk that He is ready to accept the demons provided they repent, but they themselves do not want their salvation.

One realizes from this incident not only the great love of monks, which they receive as a type of boundless love that is of God, but also the love of God, which is ready to save the demons as well, in spite of the billions of crimes they have committed, if only they would repent.

* We know from other stories of Elder Paisios that he is likely here talking about himself, since he later confessed that he once fasted and prayed for two weeks for the salvation of the devil, but the devil appeared to him after all that and merely mocked him.

Yeah, the Eastern Christian tradition differs a wee tiny bit from the evangelicals.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For those that don't know, a general theme of the SMT games is that Order is generally somewhat evil, because it's all about complete perfect and harmonious Order. Or else. Do as you are told, YHVH is great, and if you step out of line you will get crushed mercilessly.

and this falls out of line with Evangelical thinking how

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

CountFosco posted:

This reminds me of a fascinating story I read over on the Christianity thread:

Yeah, the Eastern Christian tradition differs a wee tiny bit from the evangelicals.

Yeah, Evangelical stuff (at least in the US) is really focused on defining itself as an identity, moreso than any actual Christian doctrine. It's pretty depressing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Puppy Time posted:

That sounds to me that they take "Speak of the Devil and he will appear" as a literal thing that could happen.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Brad's flying oddball has a little montage of bad throughout the years and I'm still amazed at Brad's weight loss. Lupa you gotta let me know, what is Brad's secret?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Brad's flying oddball has a little montage of bad throughout the years and I'm still amazed at Brad's weight loss. Lupa you gotta let me know, what is Brad's secret?

I have a hunch that he started eating less and exercising more.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 11, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Andrast posted:

eating less

Brad Doesn't Try It?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Andrast posted:

I have hunch that he started eating less and exercising more.

Wtf is this exercise

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andrast posted:

I have a hunch that he started eating less and exercising more.

Eating less isn't healthy! You need to eat better!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Augus posted:

Eat smarter not harder

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Augus posted:

sometimes it's both

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i dropped 25 pounds in the last two months by eating a bowl of cereal as the only meal i have all day so try that i guess

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

financially racist posted:

i dropped 25 pounds in the last two months by eating a bowl of cereal as the only meal i have all day so try that i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxBfukKmATo

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

stillvisions posted:

It seems like a good take on it overall - I'm glad there is something interesting under the surface but yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to listen to more than five minutes of it, so I'm glad I'm not alone in that feeling.

And man, when Night Mind says a show has painfully bad voice acting, you know it's gotta be bad...

Well he's being extra petty to set up the turnaround at the end; his intro alone was setting that up with all the subtlety of the sledgehammer.

WTNV was funny for exactly one episode. I do hope Cecil gets more VO work, though. He's the only performer on the show with any comedy chops.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

adamcantsleep posted:

I do hope Cecil gets more VO work, though. He's the only performer on the show with any comedy chops.

Really? Retta was on Parks and Rec for six years, and I thought she was great on it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Leal posted:

Change the aspect ratio of your camera.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I imagine being close friends and professional colleagues with Doug would cause an unsmall amount of stress weight loss too :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't watch lgr much beyond tech tales, but man his tech tales series fuckin rocks. his latest one is on mad catz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJrUWWvDWs

i just od'd on 90s nostalgia rip

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Super BunnyHop made a video on Nier:Automata's endings. That kind of fucks up the concept of Ganbatte and basic marxist theory.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
KKall has kicked off Shakespeare again with Shakespeare In Love.

Bennett has a new Anime Abandon out looking at the next Armitage III show, replacing Elizabeth Berkley with Audrey from Christmas Vacation. She sounds even worse somehow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

KKall has kicked off Shakespeare again with Shakespeare In Love.

Bennett has a new Anime Abandon out looking at the next Armitage III show, replacing Elizabeth Berkley with Audrey from Christmas Vacation. She sounds even worse somehow.

Armitage III isn't a different show, it's the four-episode OVA that was hacked down into the Poly-Matrix movie featuring Elizabeth Berkley and Kiefer Sutherland as voice roles. Didn't realize it was Dual-Matrix this time :cripes:.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not sure if Bennett mentions it, but a fun quirk of most of the Armitage III dubs is Bryan Cranston himself voices Eddie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
By the way, KKall, I was rewatching your Revolver review, and at the end you hint at a video on Fiddler on the Roof. Is that going to happen or were you just recommending it for a film about Kabbalah? Because I'd love to see a video on it either way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'd love to hear him talk Fiddler, love me some Fiddler talk.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

By the way, KKall, I was rewatching your Revolver review, and at the end you hint at a video on Fiddler on the Roof. Is that going to happen or were you just recommending it for a film about Kabbalah? Because I'd love to see a video on it either way.

He was actually hinting at the Pi video, but I agree, a Fiddler video would be interesting.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Speaking of KK...

Positive feedback on recent vids: I really like that when you show a clip, you have the flyout on the bottom that says which movie it is. It's a little thing, but really helps the video because I'm not splitting my focus on trying to think "wait, what's the film on screen right now?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

lornekates posted:

Speaking of KK...

Positive feedback on recent vids: I really like that when you show a clip, you have the flyout on the bottom that says which movie it is. It's a little thing, but really helps the video because I'm not splitting my focus on trying to think "wait, what's the film on screen right now?"

This is indeed a very handy thing that I appreciate too.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

lornekates posted:

Speaking of KK...

Thanks! I'm glad I started doing those, for my own sake as well. I'm trying to get more disciplined about fair use and professionalism and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Technically the YWVH in SMT isn't the actual Christian God, but the demiurge masquerading as Him. There is a capital G God in the setting that is benevolent but distant

• Locked thread