Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's a good game but Charron trolling me into closing and restarting SMT4 is really bad in a setting where you either do or die in almost any fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Are you still in the first big dungeon? Things get much more interesting, story- and setting-wise, immediately after that. (Also, the game gets a lot easier.)

Yeah- guess I'll keep at it here. I'll come back to it later now that I'm home but I've drilled through some of the introductory bullshit at least

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Just skips right through The Body of the Many
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VguJ0T3eI&t=709s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTwSQLkJy5Q

https://www.destructoid.com/-update-square-enix-breaks-up-with-hitman-developer-io-interactive-435667.phtml

There goes season 2
https://twitter.com/ynakamura56/status/862557468102098948

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 11, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Based off what I've read since it was announced, it doesn't seem like it's a big shock. Hitman was apparently well praised but sold really badly. You can blame the episodic release or whatever but it seems like it underperformed the hell out of things. Which sucks but i also can't say it was wrong for them to go episodic considering that is probably what allowed it to be designed in the way it was.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Release the numbers on how many people got their preorders cancelled and just never came back.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Nintendo is one of the few companies that will actually announce a game a few months before release anymore.

That said they made an E3 that was basically just Breath of the Wild all plateau all the time interesting so who the hell knows.

That plateau has replaced Kokiri Forest as best intro Zelda area imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Square Enix will always be bad until they allow Crystal Dynamics to make a new Gex game

W-when was the last time you played a gex game...

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Looper posted:

W-when was the last time you played a gex game...

Enter the Gecko for PS1 back in 2014

It sucked quite a bit but I have legit fond memories of the first game, so if anything a new Gex should either go back to being a side-scroller or double down on being self-aware

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The blue shell rant I posted on page 45 was a neogaf meltdown I thought was funny but I was too dumb to put in a quote box.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Duck of Death posted:

The blue shell rant I posted on page 45 was a neogaf meltdown I thought was funny but I was too dumb to put in a quote box.

It's called a spiny shell

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you think i'm just gonna update the goon rant spreadsheet... without proof

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here's my goon rant:

Hitman 2016 is good. My favourite game of last year. To see its future die like this is quite disappointing.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm still melting down over changing the title of the amiibo thread to "amiibos"

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Saint Freak posted:

Release the numbers on how many people got their preorders cancelled and just never came back.

About ten to twelve.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

road to e3 thread is up. the art of hte donut

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820122

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DLC Inc posted:

No idea what will happen to IOI or the Hitman name but Square should absolutely sell Deus Ex to Zenimax so the boys at Arkane can have it. Give Harvey Smith his baby back.

Hitman getting shitcanned is a tragedy and I'm more surprised than ever that Nier even got made. I'd rather have a dozen more Hitman seasons than a single Final Fantasy.

Some of the higher ups at SE really like yoko taro and his games and will find them regardless of reception. That's not speculation btw it's explicitly how drakengard 3 got made

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Congratulations, everyone boycotting Hitman for the always-online single player mode. We won. :toot:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Exit a world of assassination

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

For those keeping score for the Eidos Acquisition:

- Square Enix acquires Eidos for ~$120 million USD. They paid a premium over the book value since the offer was a last minute bid to beat out Warner Bros. Games during the Eidos auction.

- After shipping Arkham Asylum to great critical and commercial success. Rocksteady Games was acquired by Warner Bros. Games. This largely ends the developer's relationship with Square-Enix outside of merchandising. Square-Enix still has a 25% stake in the developer.

- Crystal Dynamics is given extra time for Tomb Raider 2013 so it becomes a mega-hit. The game reviews well but its sales fall short of expectations, especially in North America. A new project led by god of War alum Cory Barlog is cancelled at the developer. The sequel, Rise of the Tomb Raider, is a Microsoft time exclusive in exchange for helping advertise the game in North America. SE is pleased with the sequel after all the DLC ships. Crystal Dynamics will work on a Marvel IP in addition to more Tomb Raider games

- Legacy of Kain Dead Sun by Climax Games is cancelled after Square Enix faced financial difficulties after the failure of FFXIV. A playable hub world and a Visualworks CGI trailer was created for the game. The writedown for the game was $16 million. The game's assets were reused for Nosgoth by Psyonix. Nosgoth was eventually cancelled with Psyonix shifting its focus to Rocket League and other in-house IPs.

- Eidos Montréal is given more time for Deus Ex Human Revolution. The game is a critical and commercial success. Thief 2014 suffers from development hell and releases to a middling reception. An undisclosed project at the studio is cancelled in late 2013. Deus Ex's sequel, Mankind Divided, is a financial bomb. The studio will now work on Marvel games. They are also believed to be making Tomb Raider sequels on Crystal Dynamics's off year, similar to the Treyarch and Infinity Ward with Call of Duty.

- Square Enix Montréal is formed from Eidos veterans. The plan is to staff up and become a AAA developer supported by the Canadian government, similar to Ubisoft and EA's Canadian studios. The AAA projects are cancelled but the studio creates successful mobile games based on Eidos IPs, such as Hitman Go and Lara Croft Go.

- Beautiful Game Studios undergoes restructuring after the acquisition. The studio is downsized and staff is relocated to Eidos Shanghai. Championship Manager struggles against genre titan Football Manager by Sports Interactive as its experiments with MMO and mobile versions. It finds its niche as a F2P alternative to competing football manager games.

- IO Interactive releases Hitman Absolution and Kane & Lynch 2 to disappointing sales. They tried to reboot Hitman into an episodic series. Square Enix has ended its relationship with IO and is shopping for a buyer for the developer

- One of the motives for acquiring Eidos was to establish an international technology base so that developers from around the world could help each other with development or technical support. Engine architect, Julien Merceron, would have served as the head of a worldwide engine solution. However, the publisher's studios continue to have their own technical solutions. IO had Glacier. Crystal Dynamics had the Foundation Engine. Eidos Montreal used Unreal Engine 3 and a branch of IO's Glacier technology. Square Enix Japan uses everything from Crystal Tools to Luminous Studio to Unreal Engine 4.

From a scale of Rare to DMA Design, how would you rate this acquisition?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idgaf about numbers unless it's my XP bar going up

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I whole heartedly admit that despite it's praise I didn't buy into the recent Hitman because I thought the old ones were annoyingly janky and hard to be good at. Also too many other AAAAAAA++++ premium good games to be playing.

Maybe IO should come up with a new IP is what I'm saying

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"I wish Bayonetta and Vanquish would come to PC," I whispered to the monkey's paw. Now to take this big sip of coffee and check the news for Hitman Season 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

suuma posted:

I whole heartedly admit that despite it's praise I didn't buy into the recent Hitman because I thought the old ones were annoyingly janky and hard to be good at. Also too many other AAAAAAA++++ premium good games to be playing.

Maybe IO should come up with a new IP is what I'm saying

Yeah I guess it's hard to overcome people being dumb idiots who aren't good at stealth games. Maybe they should have made a fps about ww2

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wow, didn't know WB Games was that close to getting Hitman. I wonder if they still would have gotten Rocksteady if they succeeded? Things could have been very different.

Squeenix doesn't seem to know what the gently caress they are doing with anything not named Final Fantasy so I have to wonder how hosed up the Avengers game will be. The Spider-Man game has at least some pedigree behind it with Insomniac and Sony footing the development.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Wow, didn't know WB Games was that close to getting Hitman. I wonder if they still would have gotten Rocksteady if they succeeded? Things could have been very different.

Squeenix doesn't seem to know what the gently caress they are doing with anything not named Final Fantasy so I have to wonder how hosed up the Avengers game will be. The Spider-Man game has at least some pedigree behind it with Insomniac and Sony footing the development.

They also don't know what to do with final fantasy

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

Idgaf about numbers unless it's my XP bar going up

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
F= really

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

DLC Inc posted:

They might be one of the prospective buyers for IO Interactive. Recently, WB Games has said they're on an acquisition spree since they want avoid lean years where Rocksteady/Monolith Productions/Netherealms aren't ready to ship a game, such as in 2016. They recently purchased Avalanche Software (the Disney Infinity developer, not the Just Cause developer) to fill up their portfolio. Even if the purchase doesn't come with the Hitman IP, they own several stealth action properties that IO could work on.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sunning posted:

They might be one of the prospective buyers for IO Interactive. Recently, WB Games has said they're on an acquisition spree since they want avoid lean years where Rocksteady/Monolith Productions/Netherealms aren't ready to ship a game, such as in 2016. They recently purchased Avalanche Software (the Disney Infinity developer, not the Just Cause developer) to fill up their portfolio. Even if the purchase doesn't come with the Hitman IP, they own several stealth action properties that IO could work on.

An episodic game is a great way to avoid those lean years!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I know I'm late to the Breath of the Wild train but I just discovered pulling out your bow in midair lets you make sickass slow-mo shots and yeah this game owns. Only thing I've disliked is the shrine in the second town

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Episodic games are actually a great way to gently caress your developers over.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The episodic format is perfect for hitman idk why so many people whined about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I saw an enormous amount of backlash against the idea of Elusive Targets. Which is stupid

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

peelusive targets

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MMF Freeway posted:

10 is low on the list for me but I liked it when it came out. Its one of the least fun games in the series to replay

It was pretty unfun for me the first time around, I looked up a faq for those sphere temple puzzles not because they were difficult, but because they were so mind-numbingly loving boring and I wanted to get through them as quickly as possible.

Still not as bad as 2 or 3 though.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah I guess it's hard to overcome people being dumb idiots who aren't good at stealth games. Maybe they should have made a fps about ww2

My point was that Hitman was critically successfully and sold poorly, and perhaps part of that is because historically speaking some of the Hitman games have been bad, hence people didn't want to buy the new one.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ImpAtom posted:

Based off what I've read since it was announced, it doesn't seem like it's a big shock. Hitman was apparently well praised but sold really badly. You can blame the episodic release or whatever but it seems like it underperformed the hell out of things. Which sucks but i also can't say it was wrong for them to go episodic considering that is probably what allowed it to be designed in the way it was.

These are just Steam numbers, but...

Hitman Absolution: Owners: 3,020,229 ± 50,168
Hitman: Owners: 631,227 ± 23,003

Yeah...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

suuma posted:

My point was that Hitman was critically successfully and sold poorly, and perhaps part of that is because historically speaking some of the Hitman games have been bad, hence people didn't want to buy the new one.

Everyone is saying Hitman Absolution sold gangbusters, though?

Man, everything about the games business is so opaque and it's surprising that it has remained this way for decades. The film business has three separate powerful trade publications that cover every business and production detail in the entire industry. Games have... Gamasutra, I guess? You don't even hear about anything happening within developers or publishers that's not curated PR unless you have some source doing some tell-all in secret like some Woodward and Bernstein poo poo

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What the heck even is Prey? I've never played System Shock...or Bioshock for that matter.

Is there character customization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Have you played any of the Deus Exs?

And yes there is

• Locked thread