Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

Bure having his knees taken out is one of the worst things...even after all those knee problems though he could still fly and burn people like it was nothing. It's just that one last knee injury pretty much broke him. loving Curtis Brown

in other news this makes me very mad

https://twitter.com/HartnettHockey/status/862679812393062400

gently caress off. You jackasses have been saying that for the past couple of years where you've embarrassed yourselves in the playoffs.

Do you really expect him to say "Yeah, we loving suck and they really need to trade me"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Do you really expect him to say "Yeah, we loving suck and they really need to trade me"?

No I don't but that doesn't mean I can't be irritated at poo poo that gets said?

i know players are all like "I like this group of guys and we can do it" but they have shown that they can't. If you had a group of guys that could do it then you would have done it in the past 4 years

edit: this is more irritating because last year when they blew a bunch of picks on Eric Staal everyone was saying "we believe in this group, we can pull it together for the playoffs" and the coach was saying "These guys deserve one last kick at the can" and they got absolutely embarrassed by Pittsburgh, then the GM and coach talked about big changes which just mainly turned out to be Brassard for Zibanejad and now this year they get embarrassed by Ottawa and guys are still saying "we believe in this group we can do it" and it's just like ehhhhhhh sure as hell doesn't look like you can. 2014 was a long time ago in hockey years

Levitate fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 11, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Teams are obligated to make players available to the media and players are obligated to not embarrass their team. There is literally nothing else they can say but "if we work hard we can do this" type bullshit.

Don't blame the players, blame the media machine.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So Ovechkin had a lower body injury and was on pain-killing injections. Not going to Worlds which is a big deal for him.

Sucks but I can't really complain about injuries given the team they lost to.

Like honestly I'm looking at the series and it really just seems like it was Fleury being much, much better than Holtby which decided the series.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

So Ovechkin had a lower body injury and was on pain-killing injections. Not going to Worlds which is a big deal for him.

Like honestly I'm looking at the series and it really just seems like it was Fleury being much, much better than Holtby which decided the series.

I'm guessing Karlsson is high as loving kite on pain killers before every game considering how absolutely beat to poo poo and in pain he was for games 3 and 4 and then suddenly he's high flying Karlsson a day later.

Which isn't a criticism I"m just saying the things these guys do to play in the playoffs is probably some horrible poo poo

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

One of the reports I read said that Botterill may want to bring Rick Tocchet over from the Penguins as well so don't get too excited.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Mind_Taker posted:

I guess this is from when his knee bent the wrong way?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

One of the reports I read said that Botterill may want to bring Rick Tocchet over from the Penguins as well so don't get too excited.

all of the speculation about coaches thus far have been lazy "botterill knows this guy!" takes. they did the exact same thing with tim murray and luke richardson last time around, and richardson never even interviewed

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

I guess this is from when his knee bent the wrong way?

That's my guess too and I assume we'll find out tomorrow when players do their exit interviews.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

Tyson Barrie injured while wrestling teammate in hotel room
5 Comments
By Joey AlfieriMay 11, 2017, 9:14 AM EDT

Yesterday, we found out that Team Canada defenseman Tyson Barrie was going to miss the rest of the World Hockey Championship because of an injury.

At the time, we didn’t know what the injury was, but TSN’s Darren Dreger shed a little more light on how Barrie was hurt.

According to Dreger, the Avalanche defenseman suffered a laceration on his leg while wrestling a teammate in his hotel room.

It’s a tough break for Barrie, who was playing really well (he had two goals and seven points in the tournament).

Even though it doesn’t sound like the injury will keep him out for very long (Dreger says he’s being held out for precautionary reasons), it’s just another example of something not going Colorado’s way this year.

“It was definitely a frustrating year,” Barrie said before the start of the tournament, per the Times Colonist. “We expected a lot more out of our group and I think a lot of guys expected more out of themselves, personally. It was disappointing for me and the team. We’re looking forward to having a good summer and getting back at it and put this one behind us.

“I’m feeling good and excited to go over to Paris and play some good hockey and get some positives out of the year.”

After the way his season went with Colorado and the way he suffered the injury at the Worlds, you can’t help but feel a little bad for the guy.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/11/tyson-barrie-injured-while-wrestling-teammate-in-hotel-room/

e: also Lundqvist is going to play for Sweden, but I guess that should be in the WC thread! Orlov and Kuznetsov going for Russia.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 11, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"wrestling"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mind_Taker posted:

Pfft. Ovechkin's been playing without a heart for years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I bet he was with a hooker

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

"wrestling"

:pervert:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
could have been worse I guess

quote:

Center Mathew Barzal of the Seattle Thunderbirds of the Western Hockey League will end up being one of the top picks at the 2015 NHL Draft despite missing a large portion of his season because of a freak injury.

Barzal sustained a broken kneecap during an off-ice incident in early November.

"I was horsing around in the dressing room," Barzal said. "We were just having fun; he's one of my best buddies that did it. We were wrestling and I tripped in the dressing room. The worst thing was it was after a 17-hour bus ride to Saskatchewan. We get there ready for a good road trip and first practice in some tiny arena. It was not fun."

youz a freak injury

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
didn't someone on the avalanche get run over by his own lawnmower, or something, a few years ago?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

quote:

This weekend’s flapjack fiasco, in which Los Angeles Kings forward Dustin Penner suffered back spasms while trying to enjoy a pancake breakfast, has spawned our list of the greatest all-time off-ice NHL injuries.

“Apparently it’s one of those mysterious things, where you can throw it out (from) sneezing. I just leaned over to dip into some delicious pancakes that my wife made. It’s just like (the pain) wraps around you and squeezes,” Penner told the L.A. Times. “Hopefully it’s just an isolated incident, and not something that’s going to become chronic.”

The fine folks at Sportsnet.ca, lovers of schadenfreude and fans of oddballery, put our heads together to compile this rundown of the fluky and embarrassing.

1. Manny Fernandez injures shoulder and/or back while blow-drying hair
Like Penner, goaltender Manny Fernandez injured himself around the house. While blow-drying his hair or toweling off after a shower (reports vary, but either way, dude was trying to get clean and dry), Manny tweaked something that caused him to miss action in 2005.

2. Ron Tugnutt pulls groin while tying shoes
Goaltender Tugnutt (whose surname still sparks Beavis & Butthead-style chuckles) suffered a groin injury while completing the most kindergarten of activities: reaching down to lace up his shoes.

3. Jose Theodore slips on driveway, breaks ankle
The goaltender (see a pattern here?), then with the Montreal Canadiens, slipped on the ice outside of his home and strained his Achilles tendon. Bonus irony: Surefooted defenceman Brian Leetch was stepping out of a cab outside of his Manhattan home when he slipped on the icy sidewalk and busted his ankle.

4. Brent Sopel picks up cracker, throws out back
Five-second rule: The Vancouver Canucks player missed playoff action in 2007 because he blew out his back in an attempt to retrieve a cracker dropped on the floor. “He was trying to pick up a cracker and anybody who has had back problems knows that can happen,” Canucks coach Alain Vigneault explained.

5. Arturs Irbe attacked by Rambo
The Latvian goaltender’s dog, a Labrador-Newfoundland mix, was put to sleep after he bit his owner’s left hand. Rambo, man’s vicious friend, severed an artery in Irbe’s hand, broke one of his fingers and severed an artery.

6. John Vanbiesbrouck falls through collapsing coffee table
Attempting to rise from the glass coffee table he was sitting on, the New York Rangers goaltender fell through the table as it gave way, cutting his left wrist and suffering nerve damage. “It was a totally freak thing, the table just collapsed under me, and as I put my hand back to brace my fall, the glass gashed me,'' Vanbiesbrouck told the New York Times.

7. Glenn Healy suffers everyday bagpipe injury
Your typical cliché NHL upper-body injury. Backup Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender cuts hand while cleaning his bagpipes (the actual Scottish instrument, not a locker-room metaphor), requires 40 stitches. Yawn.

8. Sarah Palin (sort of) to blame for Manny Legace’s hip injury
Another goaltending Manny, another odd disaster: The red carpet was rolled out on the ice for 2008 vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin; Tina Fey’s greatest target was set to drop the puck for a ceremonial face-off. Trouble was, goaltender Manny Legace stepped on the carpet, slipped and damaged his hip. The Blues put the injured netminder on waivers.

9. Erik Johnson tears knee while horsing around on golf cart
When an NHL squad is ousted from contention, the silver lining is, of course, golf season. But for the St. Louis Blues defenceman, golf proved more dangerous than hockey in 2008. Johnson, the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft, tore his right knee’s ACL and MCL while goofing around on a golf cart. His right foot got caught between the cart’s accelerator and brake.

10. Mikael Renberg falls out of boat, struck by propeller
The Swedish right winger, who spent 10 years in the NHL, developed an infection from tying up his skate laces; his condition was so bad, doctors considered amputating his hand. But that’s not the unluckiest thing that happened to the man. One year prior Renberg was sailing in northern Sweden. In attempted to retrieve the anchor, he slipped and fell into the water. The boat’s propeller blade gashed his right arm, slicing his biceps. Fortunately, no long-term nerve damage was caused.

there was also Joe Sakic and the snowblower

quote:

Already sidelined for at six weeks with a herniated disc, Joe Sakic will now miss at least three months after breaking three fingers and damaging tendons following a snowblower accident at his home. From the Denver Post and Avs VP Jean Martineau:

"Basically, it's a mistake. He's a 39-year-old adult who made a mistake," Martineau said. "He put his hand where he should not have put it. He's, in a way, lucky. He'll have a full recovery." Martineau said he visited Sakic in an unidentified hospital this morning, and that he was "very upset with himself."

"He's very, very mad at himself. I've never seen him like that, and I've known him for 21 years," Martineau said. "He knows he made a mistake."

Martineau said he knows Sakic and the team will be asked "Why was a player with a bad back out using a snow blower?"

"You just have to walk with the machine. There was no problem for (Sakic) walking. The machine does all the work and it's basically just going for a walk," Martineau said. "It's just an unfortunate thing that happened."

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 11, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

didn't someone on the avalanche get run over by his own lawnmower, or something, a few years ago?

Joe Sakic's career ended because he mangled his hand in a snow blower.

Erik Johnson missed a season because a golf cart ran over his leg.

Brent Sopel threw out his back bending over to pick up a cracker.

Sami Salo got bitten by a snake.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pretty sure Brian Leetch was drunk as gently caress when he "slipped on some ice" and broke his ankle

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Didn't Jose Theodore sideline himself for like a month while washing his truck?

I see all these excuses and just assume they're bs and the truth is drunk / high idiots doing idiot things.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not sure any of these beats Jeff Kent claiming he injured himself washing his truck only for it to come to light he actually got in a motorcycle accident and I think his contract forbade him riding motorcycles, as well

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
General consensus from what I've seen is that Eberle's getting shipped out of Edmonton at some point this offseason. Good hockey Twitter man Dimitri Filipovic gives us a chart that shows this is a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/860252053964193792
Oilers better hope they win a cup soon before Chiarelli trades Draisaitl over not fitting in with the culture.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

T-Bone posted:

7. Glenn Healy suffers everyday bagpipe injury
Your typical cliché NHL upper-body injury. Backup Toronto Maple Leafs goaltender cuts hand while cleaning his bagpipes (the actual Scottish instrument, not a locker-room metaphor), requires 40 stitches. Yawn.

And yet the noise that comes out of his mouth manages to be worse.

The Golden Man posted:

Jordan Eberle For Sale

Yes please.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

flakeloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/MartyBannister/status/862483125422698497

Seriously though, are there people who still question the guy's desire to win? Look at him after he scores literally every goal, you can't fake that.

:ohdear: can you?

The will to win argument is definitely bullshit.

I think you can definitely make an argument that his performance as a player has deteriorated and that his style of play does not age well. He lost a step on the rush years ago and at least on the eye test he's taken steps back in terms of possession. He still has value as a stationary cannon that you can use on the powerplay and in certain 5v5 situations. And I don't disagree that his contract is going to look pretty awful on the tail end, but that's what happens with blockbuster contracts.

The people calling to trade him though are just idiots. He's still a lovable face for the franchise and also who the gently caress is going to trade for him? And to what end? They've traded enough picks and young guys at this rate that it's going to be years before they get the next generation of top-line guys through.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Partly goaltending, partly luck. Partly really bad breakdowns against at awful times. They cleaned that up from games 5 to 7 but games 1 & 2 they gave the Pens some easy goals. Fwiw Holtby was pretty good in game 7 and it wasn't on him that they lost that one.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yaya posted:

General consensus from what I've seen is that Eberle's getting shipped out of Edmonton at some point this offseason. Good hockey Twitter man Dimitri Filipovic gives us a chart that shows this is a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/860252053964193792
Oilers better hope they win a cup soon before Chiarelli trades Draisaitl over not fitting in with the culture.

They need cap space and its him or RNH.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I don't think any team would be interested in Eberle at 6m. Maybe Vegas?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I don't need a fuckin graph to tell me Eberle sucks dong

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Partly goaltending, partly luck. Partly really bad breakdowns against at awful times. They cleaned that up from games 5 to 7 but games 1 & 2 they gave the Pens some easy goals. Fwiw Holtby was pretty good in game 7 and it wasn't on him that they lost that one.

Holtby was fine in Games 5-7 but he never stole a game and he finished with .887 in the series. Even if the Capitals gave up some odd-man rushes that is a really atrocious save percentage.

Game 7 was a disaster from the entire roster but the Capitals probably win in 6 if Holtby doesn't let in a few of the soft goals from Games 1-4.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

Holtby was fine in Games 5-7 but he never stole a game and he finished with .887 in the series. Even if the Capitals gave up some odd-man rushes that is a really atrocious save percentage.

Game 7 was a disaster from the entire roster but the Capitals probably win in 6 if Holtby doesn't let in a few of the soft goals from Games 1-4.

I was at the game so maybe didn't have the best view, but the second goal last night looked pretty soff too.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 11, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E ^^^- it was very soft and he didn't even react to it. Plus the whole play was possible in the first place because he made a poor decision to play the puck (and his defender coughed it up).

Holtbys playoff numbers were pretty awful. He had some good games but just let in far too many softies. He finished 12th overall among the 16 starters. That's bad.

The rest of the team had some sleepy moments, but overall they drove possession and got great looks. Just couldn't finish enough and got really lovely goaltending while running I to a stupidly hot fleury.

Blaming an individual player is dumb bit if I had to point a finger I'm going with Holtby way before ovi. Orpik was pretty bad too.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 11, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think the Caps should freak out and change a bunch though. As maddening as it is you probably just keep soldiering on with that core and hope the bounces work out eventually. It's not that statistically improbable to have the playoff failures they've had.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think the Caps should freak out and change a bunch though. As maddening as it is you probably just keep soldiering on with that core and hope the bounces work out eventually. It's not that statistically improbable to have the playoff failures they've had.

Yeah, it's not like they lost the SCF four straight times.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Yeah, it's not like they lost the SCF four straight times.

Yeah but that team just kept doing the same thing and then won in year 5 so it all worked out.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I saw some math shits on twitter that showed if a team won the presidents trophy by a 10% margin every year for a decade the most statistically likely outcome for that team would still be 0 cups

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think the thing with Ovi is that he's never been a playmaker or guy who controls a game. He can take over a game with individual plays, but he doesn't hold the puck on his stick and dictate the attack the way guys like Crosby do.

That's where I think a lot of the "you can't build around him" and "he's not a leader" stuff come from and it kind of misses the mark because they usually go on to say it's because he's a selfish player and Russian, instead of just acknowledging his style of play and being realistic about his abilities

edit: but ultimately the Caps have some great players who do have the ability with Backstrom and Kuznetsov but somehow it falls the most on Ovi I guess

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I would take Eberle at 6M over Shaw at 3.9M.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Caps should start building around Kuznetsov now

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Didn't Anderson slice a finger off while chopping carrots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Caps should start building around Kuznetsov now

Backstrom is much better and signed to an amazing deal for 4 more seasons.

• Locked thread