Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The description of the hino enma definitely makes it sound like just some generic demon that happens to be powerful enough to be a boss, but is not a unique thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, maybe the Hino-Enma (though that's kind of a grey area, since she has a distinct personality - see also, her crush on Saika), but the game's resident Yuki-Onna is a particular character with a particular personality who has the appearance of that character (rather than 'generic demon'). It's the same reason why the Giant Frog only shows up in missions where it would make sense for Hattori Hanzo Senior to be.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I mean the big issue is that in doing so they're sacrificing gameplay variety for story/characterization...in a game where the former is the draw and the latter is just kind of there. Then again, given how people with press copies were allowed to show off any of the gameplay including the final stage but not any of the cutscenes, I guess their priorities are just different than I'd expect.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Maybe they just figured having those particular enemies as regular threats would be a pain in the rear end.

...but then they added those red kappa fuckers, so :iiam:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You fight at least three Hino-Enmas during the game so what are we even talking about?

Two Yuki-Onnas too.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

JBP posted:

Is there a good strategy for WOTS Gourd? I want the magatama but motherfuckers are getting me down because living weapon build is harder to maintain against man sized enemies with block.

a good iga jonin build will also destroy WOTS gourd too thanks to storm kunai. the only time you'd be in danger is during the last boss wave but if you play it slow and bring weakness talismans you should be able to kill Oda or Yasuke before the arena turns into a living weapon shitshow

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Double post but man they really gutted revenant farming. I understand it needing a nerf, but they probably should've cut it down to the drops only inheriting one of the rolls or something. It's pretty pointless to kill revs now unless you need Divine Fragments (or Glory, I guess, but pvp matches are 5-7 minutes and give you 3-5k a pop)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Metallia posted:

Double post but man they really gutted revenant farming. I understand it needing a nerf, but they probably should've cut it down to the drops only inheriting one of the rolls or something. It's pretty pointless to kill revs now unless you need Divine Fragments (or Glory, I guess, but pvp matches are 5-7 minutes and give you 3-5k a pop)

How much glory do you get if you lose?

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

500 to 700 or so? There's some modifiers depending on your clan and your enemy's clan, I think.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Has anyone noticed that Nioh now makes a Pro sound like a jet turbine? This is the digital copy, not disc.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I've heard that's a common problem with the Pro in general.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh god no, Destroyer of Demons requires the Dojo missions. Okatsu in A True Ninja is my barrier to 100%. :negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monolith. posted:

Has anyone noticed that Nioh now makes a Pro sound like a jet turbine? This is the digital copy, not disc.

It happens on my normal PS4 anytime I'm in certain menus at the blacksmith, because the slightly zoomed-in camera on those menus is three times as computationally expensive or something

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My pro goes nuts at the blacksmith too, but everything else is fine.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's a fan. I'd be more worried if the loving thing never went off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

It happens on my normal PS4 anytime I'm in certain menus at the blacksmith, because the slightly zoomed-in camera on those menus is three times as computationally expensive or something

It's probably that framerate isn't capped and it's trying to render tome at like 100fps.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Feeling very pleased with myself. Even if I did cheat a little with the turtle spirit's healing. :v:

All the PVE titles are mine, now. I just need to topple Okatsu in the Way of the Demon's dojo mission and I'm back up to 100% completion. I can see her being a colossal pain in the rear end though, as she spams her leap ability even when out of ki.

e; Also, I've been doing my usual thing of googling the real lives of people mentioned in Nioh, and it looks as if half of these people did more dramatic and insane things in real life when compared to their video game exploits. What the hell, Japan.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 12, 2017

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

It's probably that framerate isn't capped and it's trying to render tome at like 100fps.

It's actually the opposite. Even if you're using the 60 FPS mode, it switches to the high res 30 FPS mode in those menus, and seems to stay at 30 FPS whether you're in the zoomed in turbo fan menus or not, so I don't know what gives

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
edit: MotherFUCKER, hahahaha. I beat the dojo missions but my trophy didn't pop - turns out Destroyer of Demons includes the twilight variation of missions, so I have to wait for the DLC maps to come back into rotation. :v:

quote:

"The Shogun's bureaucrats are like wineskins – they should both have ropes around their necks."

-Honda Tadakatsu

This stuff reads like some angry fan fiction, haha.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 12, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Feeling very pleased with myself. Even if I did cheat a little with the turtle spirit's healing. :v:

drat dude, I don't think it's possible to cheat on a mission that crazy. Actually I'm surprised they weren't spawning in 2 at a time. What are the requirements for that, no weapon and no item use?

poptart_fairy posted:

e; Also, I've been doing my usual thing of googling the real lives of people mentioned in Nioh, and it looks as if half of these people did more dramatic and insane things in real life when compared to their video game exploits. What the hell, Japan.

Japan pre-20th century was pretty nuts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o
e: skip to about 3:20 for actual Nioh-era shenanigans.

That first one reads like the shinobi equivalent of releasing 3 pigs into your rival's temple labeled 1, 2 and 4.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 13, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Takes No Damage posted:

drat dude, I don't think it's possible to cheat on a mission that crazy. Actually I'm surprised they weren't spawning in 2 at a time. What are the requirements for that, no weapon and no item use?

Can't go into it with any weapons equipped (even ranged weapons), and you can't use any items at all. I stripped off all my gear except the Yagy one that gives you bonus parrying window, and fought all my muscle memory to avoid chugging medicine whenever I got injured.

And cheers for the link. Reading up on this period of history is becoming pretty addictive, ha.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I love this guy's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK0CAdbmPlI

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Unsurprisingly there's another translation error with the new "disables parrying on X" weapon passives. It doesn't effect the actual parrying skills, but does stop your weapon bouncing off that particular weapon type when its user is blocking. With Pierce I can imagine that really loving up Revenants and human enemies.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
The trick to unlocking Queen's Eye on WotStrong for me turned out to be beating every mission in the first 5 regions and the story missions in the 6th.

I'm now a few missions into Demon and am still loving it. Good new challenge and beyond having more HP/doing more damage the enemies seem to be mixing up their attack patterns a little too. Although, one more question - do high level ranged weapons ever drop? I soul matched every bow/rifle/canon I got through Strong and only got the first two up to +5 and the last one up to +3 because these things never drop! I'm now 6 or 7 missions into Demon and haven't had a single divine ranged drop, and my outdated bow is basically worthless (3 headshots to kill a basic enemy). Is there a level with a guaranteed ranged drop, or some enemy I can farm to get these up?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can go beat up Tachibana for a little while and see if he drops his bow. Later regions will fart + equipment at you as well - Return of the Gourd has given me a few 205 +15s, but that's probably a bit much so early. :v:

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

I also honestly wouldn't worry about your ranged weapons too much in earlier WotD, they're of a much reduced effectiveness just because of enemy hp + defense. If you can get an Agility Damage Bonus on your 'mainhand' ranged weapon that's about the best you can hope for, outside of warrior of the west + ravenwing 2 piece set bonuses.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Sounds like it's not really worth the bother. I'm running a ninja build so my kunais can kill most anything at medium range so I'll just do without bows for now. Thanks for the tips.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Kunai builds are amazing. I'm tempted to go completely over-kill, find myself a fast cast hit and try a hybrid build of Confusion and Kunai. Might spread myself too thing, but the sheer over-kill...

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I've died 530 times. Kill me irl. The people making these videos are insanely good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wow, solid game but they sure put together one helluva clunker of a final boss

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

Wow, solid game but they sure put together one helluva clunker of a final boss

Haha. Yeah it isn't "bad" but it's a loving weird boss and it's also incredibly easy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JBP posted:

Haha. Yeah it isn't "bad" but it's a loving weird boss and it's also incredibly easy.

I thought it was pretty drat bad.
I died a bunch of times because I had no idea what the hell was going on and how to deal with all the random garbage flying about causing stunlocks and stacking debuffs and sometimes the boss would get stunned without me hitting it but I couldn't tell why. Once I figured out how you're supposed to fight it it wasn't hard but drat if it wasn't unintuitive and annoying as hell.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

I thought it was pretty drat bad.
I died a bunch of times because I had no idea what the hell was going on and how to deal with all the random garbage flying about causing stunlocks and stacking debuffs and sometimes the boss would get stunned without me hitting it but I couldn't tell why. Once I figured out how you're supposed to fight it it wasn't hard but drat if it wasn't unintuitive and annoying as hell.

I immediately started walking around the edge of the arena whacking moles. I guess I didn't think bad because it happened and ended (there's also a better final boss fight coming up).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Uh... What the gently caress why do I have 94 onmyo magic skill points...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snak posted:

Uh... What the gently caress why do I have 94 onmyo magic skill points...

Did you ingest the hair?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not that I'm aware of...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I bet you could get some sick magic skill points if you put some points in magic, then cut off william's ponytail and ate it

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Since I hit way of the demon, every skill is giving me 4 samurai points, and dexterity is giving me that and 4 ninja skill points, so now I have like 50 of each. They must have rebalanced how they distribute those and the omnyo with the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I have like 80 magic, so if they upped how much you get per point you put in and then retroactively gave me all of it, that would explain it.

I had just over 70k glory already, so the first thing I did was become Tome. It's awesome.