Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Does he have a life sentence? Because ex-con who wants back the stuff his wife sold me without permission is high on the list of people who I don't want to know where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

According to my state-trooper neighbor he'll be a very old man when he's released

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
He can buy it back for the same price.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Always check a local Sears Outlet when you're looking for appliances. Actually going in and looking is pretty much your best option since their website won't list all of their items and their pictures will be terrible. Not everything will be a good buy, but sometimes you can get a good deal on something with just cosmetic damage. Occasionally a big box store will have returns at a great price, too, but they won't have them available during a sale.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

A hellish hailstorm just savaged part of Denver a few days ago. My house was right in the line of fire. Definitely the worst hail I've ever seen.

golfball sized for real

I had just thinned all of my baby vegetable plants in the raised beds, but they've been obliterated :(. The four new trees i planted last season--and had just bloomed beautifully--were stripped of most leaves but should survive.

my house is brick and escaped much damage. Neighbors have siding and it looks likr someone went wild on it with a sledge hammer.

both cars are likely totalled (easily done, becauss theyre cheap and old!)

I'm not sure about the roof yet. it was replaced two years ago so maybe it held up. thr metal components up there, vents etc, are all mangled looking, but I'm hoping the shingles are solid juat so I don't have to make another claim and lose the deductible.

https://twitter.com/AshtonCBS4/status/861708734065774595

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 11, 2017

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

drat nature, you scary

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tricky Ed posted:

Always check a local Sears Outlet when you're looking for appliances. Actually going in and looking is pretty much your best option since their website won't list all of their items and their pictures will be terrible. Not everything will be a good buy, but sometimes you can get a good deal on something with just cosmetic damage. Occasionally a big box store will have returns at a great price, too, but they won't have them available during a sale.

I've bought several things over the years as a big discount because it dented or scratched on the sides (that I can't see once it's in my house).

Just keep telling them "no" about their slimy lovely warranty they try to upsell you on.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Friend bought a house in Denver area like a month ago and was very concerned about how long the roof would last before needing replaced. She sent a similar picture with the hail... Lucky break.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CloFan posted:

According to my state-trooper neighbor he'll be a very old man when he's released

What did he do?

Also, holy poo poo that hail!!!!

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

This is the right answer. They are a little expensive but god drat if they aren't the greatest appliances. The only thing you have to be prepared for is to move these babies with you from house to house every time you move because you won't want to go back.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hutzpah posted:

This is the right answer. They are a little expensive but god drat if they aren't the greatest appliances. The only thing you have to be prepared for is to move these babies with you from house to house every time you move because you won't want to go back.

Part of our home renovation they want us to go to a front loader to install a counter over the top, only $1500 for a speed queen! I would gladly take a scratch and dent one. What is the secret to finding them?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

H110Hawk posted:

I would gladly take a scratch and dent one. What is the secret to finding them?

An awl and hammer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Tricky Ed posted:

Sear Outlet tip, they get spiffs for selling the warranty. They will lower the price by the warranty amount to get these. The warranty is fully refundable just call and cancel it.

Edit: Hail, your roof is toast. Should be covered if you have insurance. That is not normal hail.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 12, 2017

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tesilential posted:

What did he do?

Cut off his ankle monitor, then got caught with two pounds of weed, some coke and some ecstasy. Also this was his 46th arrest

He was a nice enough guy. Helped me cut down a tree once, and I helped him put together his stump grinder. Never offered any drugs though, too bad

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CloFan posted:

Cut off his ankle monitor, then got caught with two pounds of weed, some coke and some ecstasy. Also this was his 46th arrest

He was a nice enough guy. Helped me cut down a tree once, and I helped him put together his stump grinder. Never offered any drugs though, too bad

Are you in TX or KS or something? In a lotta places he'd end up serving less than 10 for that, even with a bunch of priors.

e: my bad don't mean to derail

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tesilential posted:

Are you in TX or KS or something? In a lotta places he'd end up serving less than 10 for that, even with a bunch of priors.

e: my bad don't mean to derail

Not anymore, Sessions just signed a memorandum that prosecutors have to seek maximum penalty for every drug case, and have to seek permission to go for anything less.

On topic though, thanks for the speed queen recommendation! That's exactly what I'm going to buy when my ding and dent washer dryer poo poo the bed. Stupid lovely samsung Korean dryer likes to just arbitrarily stop working once every couple of months or so. No blockage in the vent lines, I clean lint trap every use... It's just an electronic pile of garbage. Now I hate that stupid happy song it plays after it finishes because there's no telling whether it's actually done.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tesilential posted:

Are you in TX or KS or something?

Arkansas, so basically yeah

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Who fucks with the smart home stuff? I'm looking to make my home a nerd home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

paternity suitor posted:

Who fucks with the smart home stuff? I'm looking to make my home a nerd home.

here ya go buddy
Home Automation and Security Systems

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Do what any true nerd does and build a couple of work benches as a first step to see if you are actually ready to spend time loving around with home projects. My early home progression was work benches -> hanging pot rack -> free-standing gardening boxes (so I can plant stuff on my big concrete patch) -> automated gardening -> home automation and other nerd poo poo

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Anyone buy appliances from Costco? We need to buy a fridge for our new house and want something nice and new but don't want to pay a poo poo ton for it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Problem! posted:

Anyone buy appliances from Costco? We need to buy a fridge for our new house and want something nice and new but don't want to pay a poo poo ton for it.

Costco sells major appliance brands, so there's no real concern for quality. Prices are generally good, but selection is limited. Basically, it's whatever Costco was able to get a deal on. So if you have something specific in mind, then you should definitely shop around.

I've found that that's generally the story with ALL things Costco. In general it's good prices on large/bulk goods, but you're not always getting the best price, sometimes by a fair margin.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Problem! posted:

Sears outlet. We got all of our kitchen appliances for like half price.. they have some minor damage that's completely hidden once installed. For example, the side of the stove is dented. Luckily, now that the stove is installed... you'd never know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Don't completely discount any local appliance stores you may have around.

I did, and then found out better from a neighbor and ended up buying my chest freezer from the local guys for well under the closest thing I could find at the Sears Outlet. Supposedly the ones near me are in some sort of buying consortium so they get decent pricing from the manufacturers.

Couldn't beat the service. Two dudes in a pickup showed up the next morning, took the old one away and put the new one in place. About when they were done the owner showed up to make sure everything was going well and I handed him a check.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

There it is, thanks

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
We can buy a fridge through the home builder but there's a gigantic markup on it and we get a choice of two meh fridges so we've elected to buy a fridge on our own.

Since our house won't be done till fall we're keeping an eye out for good deals on appliances and if we find a good one we can stash it in the garage of our current place till the house is in a state we can install the fridge, or if it's far enough out push back the delivery date till the house is done.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I feel really sad for all the people going to Sears and buying Kenmores. Just loving stop.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Problem! posted:

We can buy a fridge through the home builder but there's a gigantic markup on it and we get a choice of two meh fridges so we've elected to buy a fridge on our own.

Since our house won't be done till fall we're keeping an eye out for good deals on appliances and if we find a good one we can stash it in the garage of our current place till the house is in a state we can install the fridge, or if it's far enough out push back the delivery date till the house is done.

Memorial day at Lowes.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Pryor on Fire posted:

I feel really sad for all the people going to Sears and buying Kenmores. Just loving stop.

My circa 1991 Kenmore/Whirpool washer/dryer we inherited from the previous renter are still kicking. Sure the spin cycle sounds like a paint shaker and I'm sure the energy usage sucks but they run!

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

howdoesishotweb posted:

My circa 1991 Kenmore/Whirpool washer/dryer we inherited from the previous renter are still kicking. Sure the spin cycle sounds like a paint shaker and I'm sure the energy usage sucks but they run!
Why and/or how is it economical to keep those around? Shouldn't the energy savings from an appliance made in this century pay for the purchase price well within the expected lifetime of the thing?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hambilderberglar posted:

Why and/or how is it economical to keep those around? Shouldn't the energy savings from an appliance made in this century pay for the purchase price well within the expected lifetime of the thing?

If the dryer is electric probably not, but the washing machine could be using half the water per cycle. You should already be using cold water to wash your clothes as detergent was reformulated a decade ago to be useful in cold water.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Part of our home renovation they want us to go to a front loader to install a counter over the top, only $1500 for a speed queen! I would gladly take a scratch and dent one. What is the secret to finding them?

Good question. I have a local appliance store that's real good price wise since we've spent way too much money with them. They always beat internet prices and make sure to offer the rebate du jour.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Hambilderberglar posted:

I'm renting but buying next year. Seems more annoying to buy and move appliances as opposed to just buying new ones when we move.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

I'm renting but buying next year. Seems more annoying to buy and move appliances as opposed to just buying new ones when we move.

Hiring movers is the best decision anyone can make. Why yes, I am taking all the appliances, why do you ask?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
While we're on appliance-chat, does anyone have recommendations for window-unit air conditioners? Our house came with four, but they're kinda clunky and old. We need cooling for at least 2 regular-sized bedrooms (~200sf each), and about 750sf downstairs.

Might go without saying, but it'd be great if the bedroom ones were quiet.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

While we're on appliance-chat, does anyone have recommendations for window-unit air conditioners? Our house came with four, but they're kinda clunky and old. We need cooling for at least 2 regular-sized bedrooms (~200sf each), and about 750sf downstairs.

Might go without saying, but it'd be great if the bedroom ones were quiet.

http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/best-air-conditioner/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think they are just rebadged Frigidaires or something. Pretty sure the warranty is secure.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm also pretty sure that and the service arm are probably one of Sears last remaining profitable assets, they'll likely sell it and it'll live on.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I could use some advice about decks and things to look for in a deck contractor.

In the place we just bought, we are going to be replacing many (if not all) of the boards & railing on the back deck - some are rotted through, some are just split and clearly about to rot, and the deck hasn't been maintained for at least 3 years and seems to never have been sealed. There are carpenter bees infesting some of the planks as well, so that will hopefully be dealt with by removing the unsealed wood and replacing it. It's a raised deck - about 10' off the ground above a walk-out basement, and the supports are all metal and still quite sturdy. Anything in particular I should ask about when finding a contractor? I'm currently getting references, finding out about warranties, but past that I'm not really sure.

We are also contemplating adding on to the deck with a 30'x20', also raised (about 12' off the ground - it'll be a bit higher than the rest of the existing deck). Might enclose it to have it be a 3 season space, but not really sure about that part yet. Underneath it we plan on putting chain-link fence to use as a dog-run.

Materials-wise, we aren't planning on anything exotic - we're thinking decent pressure treated lumber + Behr Deckover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you live in a city with a real building inspector avoid any contractor that says you don't need a permit, unless your deck is ground level then no one cares. A deck needs to be properly attached and supported so your kickin rad house party doesn't end up with mass death from synchronized deck jump to the music.