Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I Before E posted:

SMG is right, saying Aliens is good because it's influential instead of talking about what's good about the actual film itself is BS.

It is good, but Alien is better in just about every way at telling a story where lower class people (teamsters in 1, grunts in 2) are confronted with capital's complete indifference to their welfare, and Aliens is just Rambo 2 with aliens instead of Vietnamese.

The space marines aren't exactly part of the 1% either, and they get sold out pretty hard by the token office sitter. They just pack a bit of heat along with their blue collar bravado, which is why people latched on to them more than they did to the Nostromo crew. If Parker had had a huge gently caress-off gun people would quote him up and down to this day.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can be right without the posting equivalent of punching a cripple for his lunch money.

It also feels like a rather lazy do-over of his Star Wars schtick. Aliens fans don't like Aliens, yawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The only trick CineD has is randomly relating movies to other movies, because it makes you look inscrutable.

edit: that and "why would i bend to explain my train of thought? my proof is clearly obvious, you dimwit"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I Before E posted:

Also "80s kids see Optimus Prime as a father figure" is withering

If anything it'd be a Messiah figure

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Grendels Dad posted:

Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

optimus prime can transform into the father, the son, AND the holy ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It actually originates in the original Transformers 2 or 3 thread or whatever it was where it came up over and over again from different posters that Optimus was like a comforting dad.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It actually originates in the original Transformers 2 or 3 thread or whatever it was where it came up over and over again from different posters that Optimus was like a comforting dad.

Probably just goon prosopagnosia striking again and everyone actually saw him as their dad

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

The space marines aren't exactly part of the 1% either, and they get sold out pretty hard by the token office sitter. They just pack a bit of heat along with their blue collar bravado, which is why people latched on to them more than they did to the Nostromo crew. If Parker had had a huge gently caress-off gun people would quote him up and down to this day.

It also feels like a rather lazy do-over of his Star Wars schtick. Aliens fans don't like Aliens, yawn.

Absolutely, yeah, that class conflict is there in Aliens, I wasn't trying to say otherwise, but the heat-packing badass poo poo is part of why I like Aliens less than the first one, there's this feel good power fantasy where the individual can just put on a big suit and punch the core of capitalist ideology until it explodes instead of barely escaping one of its agents and basically consigning herself to death in the process.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If you replace the aliens in Aliens with black plantation workers it's basically the same movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That big suit was considered a low class poo poo job by the corporate shill. She saved the universe by using a fork lift.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

Absolutely, yeah, that class conflict is there in Aliens, I wasn't trying to say otherwise, but the heat-packing badass poo poo is part of why I like Aliens less than the first one, there's this feel good power fantasy where the individual can just put on a big suit and punch the core of capitalist ideology until it explodes instead of barely escaping one of its agents and basically consigning herself to death in the process.

i mean, every single one of the marines is killed though (except for one who's just hideously maimed and dies at the beginning of the next movie)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If you replace the aliens in Aliens with black plantation workers it's basically the same movie.

A Goofy Movie is a metaphor for fascism

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

That big suit was considered a low class poo poo job by the corporate shill. She saved the universe by using a fork lift.

She saved herself and a few other people. The universe would have been fine.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I Before E posted:

The ooh-rah poo poo owns because the Space Marines get loving owned big time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

She saved herself and a few other people. The universe would have been fine.

this depends on what you think the company would do if they got a hold of an alien queen. which is of course more explicity the threat in Alien3, a movie where survival isn't even on the table.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

this depends on what you think the company would do if they got a hold of an alien queen. which is of course more explicity the threat in Alien3, a movie where survival isn't even on the table.

I just don't buy the contention of some of the characters in Aliens onward that the aliens are some unstoppable threat if you're not either completely unarmed or wildly outnumbered. We may have lost the war in Vietnam, but that doesn't mean America would be at risk if some Viet Cong made it here.

Not wanting the company to get the alien still makes sense: they shouldn't get access to anything that makes them more powerful. That they're "worth millions" is bad enough. But while them getting loose is understandably nightmarish to Ripley given her experiences, we're not given anything that sells the idea that these things are some existential threat to humanity, let alone the universe. That's part of what's nice about Alien, it's bad enough just that these people are trapped on a spaceship with this awful bug. It doesn't need to be larger than that.

It reminds me of Jurassic World, really, with Vincent D'Onofrio talking about how incredible velociraptors would be in the war in Afghanistan. It's like, what?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

It reminds me of Jurassic World, really, with Vincent D'Onofrio talking about how incredible velociraptors would be in the war in Afghanistan. It's like, what?

Very half baked idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one bit of the post I object to is the idea of "reducing" a movie by talking about things like good pacing and likable characters, as if those parts of the craft aren't important. (Well, "likable" is one of those tricky buzzwords, but making characters that register to an audience and that are interesting and compelling is tricky.) Anyone can say "I'm going to make a film about the lower classes being exploited by their masters", it's actually turning that into an engaging cinematic experience that is the challenge.

SMG pointed out, the characters in Aliens are often fairly basic, because this is a suspense thriller and there's not a lot of time to explain their backstories and motivations. But that's the accomplishment, Cameron using a limited amount of time to give the audience a firm hook on so many of them- to establish little things like Vazquez and Drake being buddy buddy, Hicks being chill, Hudson always being the one who has to crack wise- any little bit of texture like that helps. Cameron often gets lambasted for not being a very good writer, at least as far as dialogue is concerned, and to be sure there's a lot of stuff in Avatar and Titanic that goes kinda flat- hell, there's corny material in just about everything he writes (I still think T2 bogs down a bit when John is trying to teach the T-800 to be cool or whatever.) But in Aliens he knows how to use broad dialogue and basic elements of storytelling to get you involved with, and sympathetic to, this band of tough as nails space marines who are about to get their asses kicked.

As pointed out, Alien does a similar thing- a few of the actors have commented that what they liked about the script was the clear hierarchy of the crew, the way everyone was kinda divvied up and you had the workers giving their supervisors poo poo and trying to sneak breaks whenever they can because they're not even supposed to be working today. It's very humanizing and solid and makes it all the more terrifying when their world gets disrupted and everyone starts dying, and it does tie into a theme of everyone waking up into a world which does not care whether they live or die. (There's a very "Hansel and Gretel" thing going on.)

Jurassic Park is fairly similar. In my teens I used to read Starlog, and the first issue I read had an interview with Wayne Knight, and he said that when he was filming his character's first scene he was worried that he was overacting, overdoing the glee over the weird shaving can gadget and the money. But Spielberg told him that in a thriller like this, the characters have to be defined in broad strokes, they have to be just a little cartoonish. And the movie's handling of Nedry is very efficient- that scene, and the part where he's bitching to Hammond about his money problems, establish that he's the idiot who's gonna cause trouble. That kind of crafting, to me, is fascinating- the efficient detailing that conveys a story without bogging it down.

I'm not against analyzing themes but there are other parts of movies that are important too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I don't probate people for having different opinions on a movie, that's just stupid. I probate people who have long histories of being as smug as possible about how much better their opinion is than yours, which is why I probated SMG for that post.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Much like (rolls dice) Ron Howard's Parenthood and Brian Eno's Music For Airports, Alien is an exceptional exploration of the effects of (rolls dice) regulatory economic interventionism.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I just don't buy the contention of some of the characters in Aliens onward that the aliens are some unstoppable threat if you're not either completely unarmed or wildly outnumbered. We may have lost the war in Vietnam, but that doesn't mean America would be at risk if some Viet Cong made it here.

Not wanting the company to get the alien still makes sense: they shouldn't get access to anything that makes them more powerful. That they're "worth millions" is bad enough. But while them getting loose is understandably nightmarish to Ripley given her experiences, we're not given anything that sells the idea that these things are some existential threat to humanity, let alone the universe. That's part of what's nice about Alien, it's bad enough just that these people are trapped on a spaceship with this awful bug. It doesn't need to be larger than that.

In Alien it's already larger than that though; the whole reason the alien is on the ship is because the company wants it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Very half baked idea.

Much of Jurassic World is half-baked. I honestly enjoy it quite a bit, because Trevorrow is really very talented when it comes to directing action sequences and I love BD Wong's performance, but he's a poo poo writer and I have absolutely no hope for his Star Wars movie, because I'm convinced it's going to bathe so heavily in nostalgia that it'll make The Force Awakens seem positively original.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not wanting the company to get the alien still makes sense: they shouldn't get access to anything that makes them more powerful. That they're "worth millions" is bad enough. But while them getting loose is understandably nightmarish to Ripley given her experiences, we're not given anything that sells the idea that these things are some existential threat to humanity, let alone the universe.

They wipe out an entire loving colony before they can even get the word out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah even if saying they're a universe-level threat is maybe a stretch, it's not a stretch to assume that it'd be an extremely bad thing for an evil corporation to get their hands on them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A Goofy Movie is a metaphor for fascism

I'd love to see a comeback of the subtext game contest from a few years ago, even though I never completed my essay since I couldn't adequately learn about the history of Israel enough to project it onto Wild Things in time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The aliens are bad news and the company definitely shouldn't have access to them. But that's because they'll do things like set up colonists as guinea pigs for what the aliens can do. The aliens themselves aren't the problem, they're just another power for the company to abuse.

The alien was on the ship is because the company wanted it. The aliens invaded the colony because the company wanted it. And Ripley didn't do poo poo to the company. If the universe was in danger from the company, it still is, so she didn't save it. And the aliens, in themselves, aren't shown to be an existential threat.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

The aliens are bad news and the company definitely shouldn't have access to them. But that's because they'll do things like set up colonists as guinea pigs for what the aliens can do. The aliens themselves aren't the problem, they're just another power for the company to abuse.

The alien was on the ship is because the company wanted it. The aliens invaded the colony because the company wanted it. And Ripley didn't do poo poo to the company. If the universe was in danger from the company, it still is, so she didn't save it. And the aliens, in themselves, aren't shown to be an existential threat.

Well, at least the company lost tons of money in military assets and that one office worker :unsmith:

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

They wipe out an entire loving colony before they can even get the word out.

A colony of civilians though, and just a little over a hundred at that. It's like a 23rd century Jamestown.

In addition they were clearly dicking around with the infestation until it was too large to control.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I loved this plot point cuz once you drop the exotic biology of theme park dinosaurs he was basically arguing that, like, a pack of jackals would be a great military asset. Sure buddy!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

the fact that the company wants the aliens so badly is proof of what a threat they are (in addition to, y'know, everything else that shows this), if not an "existential" one in the way that you mean it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I loved this plot point cuz once you drop the exotic biology of theme park dinosaurs he was basically arguing that, like, a pack of jackals would be a great military asset. Sure buddy!

They'd have the element of surprise at least.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

This is basically the same argument I've heard some racist people make for having black people in the army - "if we can tame their animal instinct...".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the fact that the company wants the aliens so badly is proof of what a threat they are (in addition to, y'know, everything else that shows this), if not an "existential" one in the way that you mean it.

I feel like "existential" is one of those buzzwords like "disruption" that far too many people are throwing around right now. At my last full-time gig, there was a full week of sales training (that the marketing and design people had to sit through, because of course we did), and each day, the sales VP would begin the morning by asking, "What is your existential mission?"

"Uh ... to help provide for my family. And, you know, not die, because I like to exist."

"Not good enough."

Wanted to smack him in the face but I wound up quitting after two months due to internal politics. Last I heard the firm was downsizing rapidly so I probably got out at a good time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maxwell Lord posted:

The one bit of the post I object to is the idea of "reducing" a movie by talking about things like good pacing and likable characters, as if those parts of the craft aren't important. (Well, "likable" is one of those tricky buzzwords, but making characters that register to an audience and that are interesting and compelling is tricky.)

That's the problem, though. It's like saying a game is fun. You gotta be specific.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean I think what "existential" is being used for here is "a threat to all life as we know it" i.e. a threat to existence, which I get why that could be debatable.

I certainly think the aliens from Aliens are a more convincing planet-level threat than, say, zombies.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
https://twitter.com/HeavyRiddy/status/862219329072398336

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but I know what emotional reaction you got from the game. So I understand where you're coming from.

I mean if you were writing a school paper I'd understand. Other wise ehh?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Imagine if all journalism was as whoppingly lovely as games journalism

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Imagine if all journalism was as whoppingly lovely as games journalism

That's a pretty tame flight of fancy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I certainly think the aliens from Aliens are a more convincing planet-level threat than, say, zombies.

I'm not entirely unsure that Ridley Scott won't make an Alien sequel with the creatures as a planet-level threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Sad he's gonna retire after the new Twin Peaks, and we won't ever see Ronnie Rocket.

• Locked thread