Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the coyotes will trade for eberle or nuge if they win the trade. you can have brad richardson or jamie mcginn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bunnyofdoom posted:

Didn't Anderson slice a finger off while chopping carrots?

It was actually a knife fight.

it was cutting chicken

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Interesting

https://twitter.com/HartnettHockey/status/862730323347599360

Though that seems to be in the context of their usage in the future not necessarily them being traded or bought out

https://twitter.com/HartnettHockey/status/862729608353001472

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I'd rather trade Eberle than Nuge. Shooting percentage being off or no he's regressing and he cost too drat much

The Golden Man fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 11, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cody Ceci's only 23.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

flakeloaf posted:

Cody Ceci's only 23.

I'll take him over Girardi or Staal

because he has a small contract that's over after next season

e: I'm pretty sure AV is talking about either draft prospects like Ryan Graves or the guys Gorton signed recently, and hoping at least one of them can step up

Kind of worried that means letting Smith walk though

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars will take Eberle for a first and a Finnish goaltender. Take your pick, it doesn't matter. You get a pick and cap relief after next season, we get an Eberle to bounce back and play, I dunno, on the third line.

Oh, and when The Final Solution is run out of town we'll give you the same package we paid for Seguin.

/hf board quality post

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 11, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

A Typical Goon posted:

Backstrom is much better and signed to an amazing deal for 4 more seasons.

I don't disagree but he's 29 and Kuznetsov is 24. Obviously you want to make moves that are going to benefit both players, but if you have to choose I think at this point it's smarter to rebuild a younger core around Kuzy/Burakovsky

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

The Oilers are with the exception of Lucic going to pretty much have bargain basement wingers going forward. Condor, Leon and Nuge are going to be banking them in off of guys like Caggiula, Maroon, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Kassian and Khaira for the foreseeable future

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

JoelJoel posted:

Stars will take Eberle for a first and a Finnish goaltender. Take your pick, it doesn't matter. You get a pick and cap relief after next season, we get an Eberle to bounce back and play, I dunno, on the third line.

Oh, and when The Final Solution is run out of town we'll give you the same package we paid for Seguin.

/hf board quality post

Canucks Army guys are spitballing on a podcast about taking one of the finnish goalies, not resigning Miller, and asking for Dallas #3 overall in return for... I don't remember. One of the D-men maybe?

sounds nuts.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think the Caps should freak out and change a bunch though. As maddening as it is you probably just keep soldiering on with that core and hope the bounces work out eventually. It's not that statistically improbable to have the playoff failures they've had.

They're going to have to make changes though due to all of their expiring contracts.

Forwards:
Kuznetsov: RFA
Burakovsky: RFA
Oshie: UFA
Williams: UFA
Connolly: RFA
Winnik: UFA

Defensemen:
Orlov: RFA
Schmidt: RFA
Alzner: UFA
Shattenkirk: UFA
Carlson: UFA in 2018
Orpik: SIGNED FOR 2 MORE YEARS AT $5.5M BABY

Goalie:
Grubauer: RFA

They're almost surely going to lose Oshie, Williams, Alzner, and Shattenkirk this season and possibly Carlson next season. And possibly Schmidt or Grubauer in expansion. They have no really significant prospects in the pipeline other than like Samsonov but he's not really at a position of need. Vrana and Bowey were getting healthy scratched in Hershey and those were always thought to be 2 of their best prospects.

I still think they have a good young defensive base with Orlov, Niskanen, Schmidt, and Carlson and Holtby *should* be good, but aside from like Kuznetsov and Burakovsky their good forwards are all getting old.

They can probably kick the can one or two more times but their window is closing very quickly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Golden Man posted:

The Oilers are with the exception of Lucic going to pretty much have bargain basement wingers going forward. Condor, Leon and Nuge are going to be banking them in off of guys like Caggiula, Maroon, Slepyshev, Puljujarvi, Kassian and Khaira for the foreseeable future

Don't you forget about Joey Legs!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

JawKnee posted:

Canucks Army guys are spitballing on a podcast about taking one of the finnish goalies, not resigning Miller, and asking for Dallas #3 overall in return for... I don't remember. One of the D-men maybe?

sounds nuts.

Lol, a top 3 pick to dump one year worth of salary when we've got 20+ mil to play with. I mean, Nill has been making dumb moves lately but that would be absurd.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Mind_Taker posted:

Vrana and Bowey were getting healthy scratched in Hershey and those were always thought to be 2 of their best prospects.

Don't take this to mean anything until next season. Hershey has always been run as an AHL team first, NHL prospects team second. That changes with the new contract that was just signed. (Hershey almost lost their team because of this fact.) The Caps don't own or manage the team, but I think they actually will manage them next year. (Just look at the number of AHL lifers on the team each year.)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, a top 3 pick to dump one year worth of salary when we've got 20+ mil to play with. I mean, Nill has been making dumb moves lately but that would be absurd.

think they were spitballing Tanev, who is a top shutdown d-man in his prime.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

They're going to have to make changes though due to all of their expiring contracts.

Forwards:
Kuznetsov: RFA
Burakovsky: RFA
Oshie: UFA
Williams: UFA
Connolly: RFA
Winnik: UFA

Defensemen:
Orlov: RFA
Schmidt: RFA
Alzner: UFA
Shattenkirk: UFA
Carlson: UFA in 2018
Orpik: SIGNED FOR 2 MORE YEARS AT $5.5M BABY

Goalie:
Grubauer: RFA

They're almost surely going to lose Oshie, Williams, Alzner, and Shattenkirk this season and possibly Carlson next season. And possibly Schmidt or Grubauer in expansion. They have no really significant prospects in the pipeline other than like Samsonov but he's not really at a position of need. Vrana and Bowey were getting healthy scratched in Hershey and those were always thought to be 2 of their best prospects.

I still think they have a good young defensive base with Orlov, Niskanen, Schmidt, and Carlson and Holtby *should* be good, but aside from like Kuznetsov and Burakovsky their good forwards are all getting old.

They can probably kick the can one or two more times but their window is closing very quickly.

Yeah I wish they were in a better position to do what the Penguins do and just load up on cheap young players and fire them out there next to the vets, but their pipeline kind of sucks after all these "win now" decisions the last few seasons. They'll probably be mostly the same but not as good, trailing off in the next couple years. Odds aren't as good to get anywhere, but hey, sometimes you get lucky and a team will trade you a Phil Kessel for peanuts.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

JawKnee posted:

Ah, missed that bit. I'd gladly do it for the ducks first but a top 3 still seems pretty steep (poo poo draft year or not).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

^^^
Adam Larsson returned Taylor Hall. A late first round pick in a bad draft year isn't getting you Chris Tanev. That's less than the Canucks paid for Eric Gudbranson.

JawKnee posted:

Something structured around Tanev for the 3rd is I guess within the realm of feasibility value wise, but top 5 picks never get traded so it won't happen.

Benning should be doing everything he can to pry a 3rd round pick or something out of Dallas in exchange for taking on Niemi's salary. It's an astute rebuilding move that helps both teams and solves our backup problem. As such, it has no chance of happening.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 11, 2017

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
What the Caps need is a loving team psychologist or something. They need therapy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

What the Caps need is a loving team psychologist or something. They need therapy.

Yeah, Ovi's only 31 and has a ton of grey hair. Dude aged more in 8 years than Obama did.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

ThinkTank posted:

^^^
Adam Larsson returned Taylor Hall. A late first round pick in a bad draft year isn't getting you Chris Tanev. That's less than the Canucks paid for Eric Gudbranson.

Adam Larsson and Erik Gudbranson were top picks and therefore very good

Chris Tanev was undrafted

They're going to trade him for Tom Wilson

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Comparing any hypothetical trade to the hall trade is dumb and you know it. Tanev is a boring, stay at home defenceman who'll put up, what 15 points a year? No one is dumb enough to trade a top 3 pick at that.

More to the point, the Stars have enough picks to offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for someone to take one of the finns off their hands, but why bother? They're both off the books after next season and the stars are swimming in cap space.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

JoelJoel posted:

Comparing any hypothetical trade to the hall trade is dumb and you know it. Tanev is a boring, stay at home defenceman who'll put up, what 15 points a year? No one is dumb enough to trade a top 3 pick at that.

More to the point, the Stars have enough picks to offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for someone to take one of the finns off their hands, but why bother? They're both off the books after next season and the stars are swimming in cap space.

Adam Larsson had 19 points this year and 18 last year in basically full seasons.

Chris Tanev had 10 this year playing 53 games and 18 and 20 the years prior playing 70 games or less.

So, uh, hmm....

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Here's a neat video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjmGugcxOQw

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Well, yeah, and that Hall trade wasn't in any way one-sided. Any GM would be smart to give up Hall for that return.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

JoelJoel posted:

Well, yeah, and that Hall trade wasn't in any way one-sided. Any GM would be smart to give up Hall for that return.

Pastrnak for Tanev

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Uh okay no one was saying Taylor Hall is what he'll get but, Chris Tanev is gonna cost you more than half of what Eric Gudbranson did.

He's one of the top two or three pure shutdown defencemen in the NHL.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Chris Boyle breaks down Lundqvist's performance. Worse than his career average on tipped shots and cross-ice passes, a bit better on rebounds, otherwise the same. I think part of this can be attributed to terrible defense.

http://www.msgnetworks.com/2017/05/11/puck-luck-abandons-rangers-at-the-wrong-time/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

Larsson stinks. Just because Edmonton made the playoffs does not make that a good trade. They still would have been way better off keeping TayTay rather than a defenseman who broke even in CF and had 19 points.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

ThinkTank posted:

Uh okay no one was saying Taylor Hall is what he'll get but, Chris Tanev is gonna cost you more than half of what Eric Gudbranson did.

By pure shutdown do you mean defensemen good at defense and terrible at offense? Because there's plenty of defensemen better at both.

edit: for real tho I want the Leafs to trade for Tanev to play with Rielly

Technetium fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 11, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ThinkTank posted:

I probably only watch 3-4 Canucks games a year, but from memory and looking at some numbers, that's a bit of a bold claim. Granted, he probably looks worse on paper because of the poo poo playing around him, but there are plenty of guys that do what he does for shot suppression while also putting up points.

Off the top of my head, Ekblad, Stralman, Parayko. Not to mention the likes Karlsson, Letang, Hedman, and like 5 guys in Nashville. Pure shutdown d-man just tells me they play a lot without putting up points. If you're gonna ascribe value, "pure shutdown guy" isn't exactly a selling point for me. Eating minutes is great, but driving offense is how you win games.

All that said, I would love Tanev in Dallas, I just don't agree with you guys on his value. Again, that said, the Hall trade happened so there's no ceiling to the stupidity of any given GM.

Ginette Reno posted:

Larsson stinks. Just because Edmonton made the playoffs does not make that a good trade. They still would have been way better off keeping TayTay rather than a defenseman who broke even in CF and had 19 points.

that's my whole point :shh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Milwaukee not getting a team makes me sad and has resulted in me hating Chicago sports even more than I did already.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

I would take Eberle at 6M over Shaw at 3.9M.

I'd take a bag full of sawdust and sandpaper over Shaw

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Milwaukee Bar Dice is the name I am giving the future Milwaukee franchise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iospace posted:

Milwaukee not getting a team makes me sad and has resulted in me hating Chicago sports even more than I did already.

Not giving Wisconsin a team is a giant travesty.

The Packers/Bears rivalry (when the Bears aren't busy being a poo poo team) is one of the best things in the midwest because the Wisconsin/Illinois rivalry is hilarious and the NHL should do something to cash in on that.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
jason botterill looks about as smart as jim benning but he sounds way better

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Real talk: I bet the Oilers would still be in it if they kept TayTay

Oilers are dumb.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Not giving Wisconsin a team is a giant travesty.

The Packers/Bears rivalry (when the Bears aren't busy being a poo poo team) is one of the best things in the midwest because the Wisconsin/Illinois rivalry is hilarious and the NHL should do something to cash in on that.

The thing is, the Hawks are the only Chicago team without a Wisconsin rival. They do not want to lose that,which is probably out never happened.

Meaning they would likely lose fans to a milwaukee team

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this is a very cool find :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

The thing is, the Hawks are the only Chicago team without a Wisconsin rival. They do not want to lose that,which is probably out never happened.

Meaning they would likely lose fans to a milwaukee team

Wait the bulls and Bucks are rivals? :confused:

• Locked thread