Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Khisanth Magus posted:

Which is true, but it still sounds cooler!

Does GW not have some kind of part replacement service for miscast parts? Particularly given how common it is with finecast?

Yeah, just ring up customer service. Worst case scenario they'll have you send them pictures of the miscast parts, and they'll send you a whole new kit. I have 15 Sword Brethren in a box because of some miscasts in the first set. Best part was that I was able to just clip off the dude's hosed up head and replace it with another one. The bubbles are a bit harder to work with unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

e: holy poo poo the autism is out in force on dakka today

I'm the unlabeled y-axis.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Woop they didn't skip today afterall

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/11/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-eldar/

Points of interest:

• Phoenix lords get 2+ armour
  • Asurmen gives invuln saves to nearby units
  • Army-wide special rules such as Battle Focus, and of course the classic powers such as Guide, Doom and Fortune
  • Striking Scorpions ... Mandiblasters softening up enemy units at the beginning of the Fight phase by dishing out mortal wounds.
  • Banshees "faster than nearly any other infantry unit"
  • Avatar can ignore some mortal wounds, Wailing Doom is S8 -4AP D6 damage and has the same special rule as the meltagun.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 11, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Some notes:

Games Workshop posted:

- Phoenix Lords, especially, will benefit from a nice 2+ armour save. They’ve all been re-pointed to make all of the choices appealing, and they are more well-rounded – not only tearing bloody swathes through enemy combatants but also boosting the abilities of friendly warriors nearby. Asurman, specifically, is just fantastic, with the Sword of Asur able to deal mortal wounds and nearby friendly units benefiting from an invulnerable save!

- Whether you want to play an Iyanden Ghost list with legions of silent Wraith-constructs (who you will be quite pleased with!) led by Spiritseers wielding potent Runes of Battle psychic powers, or an Alaitoc army of Rangers led by Illic, you can… and they’re good!

- Howling Banshees get a new lease on life too. These girls are now faster than almost any other Infantry unit in the game, and nearly always get to go first in the Fight phase even if they didn’t charge.

- Striking Scorpions particularly are just vicious combatants that will strike fear into your opponent and disrupt their battle plans with the Masters of Stealth special rule and their Mandiblasters softening up enemy units at the beginning of the Fight phase by dishing out mortal wounds.

- The Avatar's Wailing doom is S+2 AP-4 and deals D6 damage rolled on 2 dice, pick the highest. It can also shoot--12" Assault 1 S8 Ap-4 D6 damage (roll 2 pick the highest)

e: It's cool to see them boosting units that never see play. Though I'd like this to be the first edition of 40k I've played where Eldar *aren't* comically overpowered*

*note: I have been playing since 2nd edition

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Fingers crossed for new Aspect warriors and Pheonix Lord models

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hihohe posted:

:same:

As a primarily craftworld player I am stoked about this. Dat avatar of khaine weapon :wow:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
MELTASWORD HO!

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

games workshop posted:

- Whether you want to play an Iyanden Ghost list with legions of silent Wraith-constructs (who you will be quite pleased with!) led by Spiritseers wielding potent Runes of Battle psychic powers[...]and they're good!

Motherfucker that was the best army in 7th, stop talking like they were one of the red headed step children of the codex.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Lots of mentions of mortal wounds in that article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAPmtTi8lc

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Didn't someone say a while ago that one of the current rumours is that they've had a bunch of Eldar models ready for the past three years now or something?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Haha mandiblasters inflict mortal wounds

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 11, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Wonder how many swings the Avatar will get with that bad boy. 3? 4? Rolling two damage dice and -4 AP it's going to punk a lot of things.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

TKIY posted:

Wonder how many swings the Avatar will get with that bad boy. 3? 4? Rolling two damage dice and -4 AP it's going to punk a lot of things.

I'd expect a Guillimanesque statline, so one more than he has.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

Mango Polo posted:

Haha mandiblasters inflict mortal wounds

That seems ridiculously stupid, but.. One sour note out of the bunch doesn't seem too bad, I hope

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Curious Ynnari only got mentioned in passing. Over/under on them being spun into their own unique faction? Because that'd be rad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hamshot posted:

Motherfucker that was the best army in 7th, stop talking like they were one of the red headed step children of the codex.

That line was clearly talking about Eldar rangers, who were not so good though.

SteelMentor posted:

Curious Ynnari only got mentioned in passing. Over/under on them being spun into their own unique faction? Because that'd be rad.

They're already their own faction for all intents and purposes. I think this article was important to assuage fears that the three eldar factions would be squatted and replaced with Ynnari, which a lot felt would happen.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hey all, I just released my Dawn of War III review if you want to check it out. I've got a lot of words to say about this game, and after hearing so much lazy (but justified) criticism of it, I wanted to put out something with a bit more substance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfyYDsXKGk4

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The Ynnari will probably get their own article.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Interesting part of the article: "Howling Banshees get a new lease on life too. These girls are now faster than almost any other Infantry unit in the game, and nearly always get to go first in the Fight phase even if they didn’t charge."

Huh. So I guess they must have a special rule allowing them to always strike first, because didn't they already establish "If you charge, you go first"?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well, yeah, hence the 'even if they didn't charge' line. Their Banshee masks have always done some initiative fuckery in the past.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm fine with this kind of thing being a special rule instead of a ton of unit screwery. It basically boils things down to "don't charge a banshee if you don't have to," which is fine.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

I'm fine with this kind of thing being a special rule instead of a ton of unit screwery. It basically boils things down to "don't charge a banshee if you don't have to," which is fine.

Does seem like the correct response to banshees is fire on overwatch and lots of it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ijyt posted:

Lol I bet real points costs will be in the codices for £50 RRP give GW more money WAAC tournament spergs

They've already explained where they're doing point costs.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 11, 2017

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Artum posted:

Does seem like the correct response to banshees is fire on overwatch and lots of it.

They used to block overwatch as well, which was always a pain in the arse. None of these units are bad units currently - the Avatar is a buff stick with a 12" bubble. Howling banshees and scorpions were also already good. It's just they weren't overpowered compared to a bunch of other stuff in the army. They don't really need improving. Just the other stuff needed bringing down to the same level.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

Hey all, I just released my Dawn of War III review if you want to check it out. I've got a lot of words to say about this game, and after hearing so much lazy (but justified) criticism of it, I wanted to put out something with a bit more substance:

This was great, I've been on the fence, it feels like a game I'd only enjoy with goons from this thread. I think I'll pass.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

This was great, I've been on the fence, it feels like a game I'd only enjoy with goons from this thread. I think I'll pass.

Thanks! While I've been mostly enjoying it myself, I'm happy I could help you make an informed decision.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

DoW3 looks kinda barebones to me, but then again my favorite DoW game was Dark Crusade which had like everyone ever* as playable in it.

*except Tyranids

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

They've already explained where they're doing point costs.

Nothing is confirmed until you have it in your cheeto hands, weeping at the nerfs to your deathstar tournament winning triple alliance unit.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

SRM posted:

Hey btw I started listening to Badcast after your mention about covering the Chaos gods and I love it. I never thought I would ever enjoy listening to a podcast about 40k, but here I am on episode 7 and looking forward to new episodes. More fanfiction readings plz

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DO IT TO IT posted:

DoW3 looks kinda barebones to me, but then again my favorite DoW game was Dark Crusade which had like everyone ever* as playable in it.

*except Tyranids

DoW1 and 2 released with 4 races each. DoW1 had the CSM as almost identical to SM in the initial release, and DoW2 had absolute horrendous balance. 3 relatively balanced races isn't a bad start

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

ijyt posted:

No granular point costs.

:rip: 40k lets play warhamchine

:same:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
ASPIRING SORCERERS ONLY KNOW SMITE?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU GW

Psykers get hosed :negative:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ijyt posted:

Nothing is confirmed until you have it in your cheeto hands, weeping at the nerfs to your deathstar tournament winning triple alliance unit.

Good thing I'm fresh out of cheetos, have never won a tourney, and just have the remnants of my 2nd-ed era Orks lying around then. :orks101:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 11, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Power levels?!

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Zaphod42 posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU GW

Wizards in AOS only know 1 unique spell but can gain others through their Battletome (Codex)

There is probably a bunch of generic Spell Lores that all psykers can learn from in the basic rules.

Or there isn't. Either way it's too early to draw conclusions and start posting poo poo like "FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU GW :negative:"

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU GW

Only know lesser smite.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pawl posted:

Wizards in AOS only know 1 unique spell but can gain others through their Battletome (Codex)

Hmmmmm.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Looking over the new rules, i'm trying to figure out how save rolls would work.

Lets say a Rubric Marine shot at another Rubric Marine with an Infernus Boltgun.

Rubric Marines have a 3+ save, and the AP of the Infernus Boltgun is -2. Does this mean that you'd have to roll a 5+ to save?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zuul the Cat posted:

Lets say a Rubric Marine shot at another Rubric Marine with an Infernus Boltgun.

Rubric Marines have a 3+ save, and the AP of the Infernus Boltgun is -2. Does this mean that you'd have to roll a 5+ to save?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zuul the Cat posted:

Normally yes. But, because the Rubric Marines also get a +1 to their save when the target of a 1 damage weapon, they'd actually get a 4+ in this case.

If they were being hit by a Melta with its -4, which does more than 1 damage per hit, they'd get the 5+ from their Favoured of Tzeentch ability. If they didn't have that, they'd be facing no save at all.

• Locked thread